Søren Schäfer

Default Hazelnut-flavored coffee. How to make?

Hi y'all.

I really love hazelnut flavored coffee such as the hazelnut flavored whole
bean coffee beans from Dunkin' Donuts. Unfortunately, I currently live in a
part of the world where I can't easily buy such flavored coffee beans (of
any kind), so I was wondering if y'all knew about something I could add to
the beans/coffee myself to get a similar flavor?

I have tried hazelnut sirups but they don't really work for me because IMHO
they make the coffee too sweet. I'm not looking for sweetness - just the
hazelnut flavor.

Thanks!
Soren

sarah bennett

Søren Schäfer wrote:
> Hi y'all.
>
> I really love hazelnut flavored coffee such as the hazelnut flavored whole
> bean coffee beans from Dunkin' Donuts. Unfortunately, I currently live in a
> part of the world where I can't easily buy such flavored coffee beans (of
> any kind), so I was wondering if y'all knew about something I could add to
> the beans/coffee myself to get a similar flavor?
>
> I have tried hazelnut sirups but they don't really work for me because IMHO
> they make the coffee too sweet. I'm not looking for sweetness - just the
> hazelnut flavor.
>
> Thanks!
> Soren

I add ground cardamom to the ground coffee before brewing sometimes.
maybe ground hazelnuts would add the right amount of flavor?

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Joseph Littleshoes

Søren Schäfer wrote:

> Hi y'all.
>
> I really love hazelnut flavored coffee such as the hazelnut flavored
> whole
> bean coffee beans from Dunkin' Donuts. Unfortunately, I currently live
> in a
> part of the world where I can't easily buy such flavored coffee beans
> (of
> any kind), so I was wondering if y'all knew about something I could
> add to
> the beans/coffee myself to get a similar flavor?
>
> I have tried hazelnut sirups but they don't really work for me because
> IMHO
> they make the coffee too sweet. I'm not looking for sweetness - just
> the
> hazelnut flavor.
>
> Thanks!
> Soren
>
> --

Take about 2 tbs. of pure hazelnut extract and add it to 1 cup of ground
coffee (or to taste), stir will, and let sit for several days, in a
airtight container, stirring occasionally. Then use the coffee to brew
a pot.

I have not tried using the extract on unground beans but i mean to do
so, let the beans soak in the extract, then let them dry out a bit and
then grind?

Adding the extract to a cup of coffee is not very good. The flavours
don't 'marry' and the extract does not incorporate itself into the
coffee.

There is a commercial hazelnut flavoured cream for coffee but it has so
many other undesirable ingredients that, though it tastes pretty good, i
hesitate to use it.
---
JL

Søren Schäfer

"Joseph Littleshoes" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Take about 2 tbs. of pure hazelnut extract and add it to 1 cup of ground
> coffee (or to taste), stir will, and let sit for several days, in a
> airtight container, stirring occasionally. Then use the coffee to brew
> a pot.
>
> I have not tried using the extract on unground beans but i mean to do
> so, let the beans soak in the extract, then let them dry out a bit and
> then grind?
>
> Adding the extract to a cup of coffee is not very good. The flavours
> don't 'marry' and the extract does not incorporate itself into the
> coffee.
>
> There is a commercial hazelnut flavoured cream for coffee but it has so
> many other undesirable ingredients that, though it tastes pretty good, i
> hesitate to use it.
> ---
> JL

Thanks for answering (to all of you). I live in Scandinavia and I've
searched some web pages looking for hazelnut extracts. I've found hazelnut
essence and aromaoil. They seem to be very concentrated, though, but maybe
they'll work? The extract you mention - is that liquid?

I do know the hazelnut flavored coffee cream, and I must admit that I stock
up on it whenever I'm in the States. It's not available here either. I can
buy the stuff - but only with neutral taste.

Thanks
Soren

Joseph Littleshoes

Søren Schäfer wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > skrev i en meddelelse
> > Take about 2 tbs. of pure hazelnut extract and add it to 1 cup of

> ground
> > coffee (or to taste), stir will, and let sit for several days, in a
> > airtight container, stirring occasionally. Then use the coffee to

> brew
> > a pot.
> >
> > I have not tried using the extract on unground beans but i mean to

> do
> > so, let the beans soak in the extract, then let them dry out a bit

> and
> > then grind?
> >
> > Adding the extract to a cup of coffee is not very good. The flavours

> > don't 'marry' and the extract does not incorporate itself into the
> > coffee.
> >
> > There is a commercial hazelnut flavoured cream for coffee but it has

> so
> > many other undesirable ingredients that, though it tastes pretty

> good, i
> > hesitate to use it.
> > ---
> > JL

> Thanks for answering (to all of you). I live in Scandinavia and I've
> searched some web pages looking for hazelnut extracts. I've found
> hazelnut
> essence and aromaoil. They seem to be very concentrated, though, but
> maybe
> they'll work? The extract you mention - is that liquid?

Yes it is. It is labelled 'Flavorganics' pure hazelnut extract.
Certified Organic, non - GMO.

No web address on the package but a Fax and Telephone number

FAX: 973 - 344 - 5880

TEL: 973 - 344 - 8014

268 Doremus Ave.
Newark, NJ.
07105

Be careful to get a product made 'for human consumption' a food product
and not an aroma product. Hazel nut paste can sometimes be found and
relatively easily made but i would not know how to use that for coffee,
except perhaps to mix it with cream or milk in a blender or processor
and use as a home made version of the hazelnut creamer for coffee.

When i put the extract in the ground coffee it is almost as good as the
commercially available hazelnut coffee and i probly am just not using
enough extract for a long enough period of time, but maybe the whole
beans, as i wrote, is the answer, letting them sit longer in the
extract.
---
JL