General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Jen
 
Posts: n/a
Default seasoning frypan

Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
other cookware?
Thanks

--
Jen



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Jen wrote:
Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
other cookware?
Thanks

--
Jen


A bit of celery salt...

Sheldon

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Sheldon wrote:
Jen wrote:
Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
other cookware?
Thanks

--
Jen


A bit of celery salt...

Sheldon


Five-spice powder if you're going to cook Chinese food.

Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


aem wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Jen wrote:
Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
other cookware?
Thanks

--
Jen


A bit of celery salt...

Sheldon


Five-spice powder if you're going to cook Chinese food.

Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem


I have both a Warever electric frypan (square) and electric wok... both
have bare aluminum cooking surfaces... both are about 30 years old.
They are lousy for cooking but make great keep-hot chafing dishes.

Sheldon

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Jen
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem


It's an old one, It's not non-stick.

--
Jen




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Jen wrote:
Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem


It's an old one, It's not non-stick.


Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
steel you wouldn't try to season it. If it's cast iron or the kind of
pounded steel found in woks, then go ahead and follow a seasoning
process. -aem

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Jen
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
steel you wouldn't try to season it. If it's cast iron or the kind of
pounded steel found in woks, then go ahead and follow a seasoning
process. -aem


Great, thanks for your help.

--
Jen


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


aem wrote:
Jen wrote:
Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem


It's an old one, It's not non-stick.


Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
steel you wouldn't try to season it.


Of course aluminum and stainless cookware should be seasoned, just done
differently from iron and carbon steel. I know I explained this
previously, and I know you were involved in the thread (but you don't
have a good memory)... seasoning aluminum and stainless steel cookware
is done exactly the same as machined bearing surfaces are prepared to
minimize friction/sticking... a pattern of 'scratches' is applied, so
that lubricant (cooking fat)can penetrate into the valleys and crests
are formed to minimize the surface area available for food to adhere.
Foods will not typically flow into the valleys as the surface tension
of most foods will not permit that to occur. Those who are intent on
polishing their cookware to its original luster are not permitting
seasoning to occur. Treat aluminum and stainless exactly opposite as
non-stick... dig in all you like with your metal spatulas and spoons...
then never attempt to polish with abrasives, steel wool, and especaily
not scotch brite. The more random the scratch pattern the better the
seasoning.

Naturally way too technical for most of yoose pinheads so meant only as
a conceptual reference: http://www.sunnen.com/newsArticle2.jsp

Sheldon

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 PM
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Sheldon wrote:

Of course aluminum and stainless cookware should be seasoned, just done
differently from iron and carbon steel. I know I explained this
previously, and I know you were involved in the thread (but you don't
have a good memory)...[snip]


What I remember is that your "explanation" didn't lead to any practical
application, just like this one. I tend to remember what is useful
rather than what may sound as though I know something. -aem



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Griddle v frypan PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 0 05-07-2009 10:25 PM
Ping: Larry - Eggs @ 250 - 'regular' ss frypan Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 3 06-10-2008 10:58 PM
Sunbeam electric frypan Smitty xx General Cooking 17 11-01-2008 03:09 AM
electric frypan insert Jen General Cooking 2 10-10-2005 05:01 PM
Electric Frypan Xmas Cake Miss Prissy General Cooking 7 20-11-2003 04:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017