Jen

Default seasoning frypan

Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
other cookware?
Thanks

--
Jen

Sheldon

Jen wrote:
> Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
> other cookware?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jen

A bit of celery salt...

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
> > other cookware?
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Jen

> A bit of celery salt...
>
> Sheldon

Five-spice powder if you're going to cook Chinese food.

Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
surface? -aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Jen wrote:
> > > Can I season an electric frypan, the same as seasoning a wok? What about
> > > other cookware?
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jen

> > A bit of celery salt...
> >
> > Sheldon

> Five-spice powder if you're going to cook Chinese food.
>
> Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
> had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
> yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
> surface? -aem

I have both a Warever electric frypan (square) and electric wok... both
have bare aluminum cooking surfaces... both are about 30 years old.
They are lousy for cooking but make great keep-hot chafing dishes.

Sheldon

Jen

> Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
> had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
> yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
> surface? -aem

It's an old one, It's not non-stick.

--
Jen

aem

Jen wrote:
> > Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
> > had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
> > yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
> > surface? -aem
> >

> It's an old one, It's not non-stick.

Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
steel you wouldn't try to season it. If it's cast iron or the kind of
pounded steel found in woks, then go ahead and follow a seasoning
process. -aem

Jen

> Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
> steel you wouldn't try to season it. If it's cast iron or the kind of
> pounded steel found in woks, then go ahead and follow a seasoning
> process. -aem

Great, thanks for your help.

--
Jen

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > > Alternative answer: every electric frypan I've seen for many years has
> > > had a nonstick surface, in which case it does not need seasoning. Is
> > > yours really old, or really new, such that it does not have a nonstick
> > > surface? -aem
> > >

> > It's an old one, It's not non-stick.

> Okay, then what surface does it have? If it's aluminum or stainless
> steel you wouldn't try to season it.

Of course aluminum and stainless cookware should be seasoned, just done
differently from iron and carbon steel. I know I explained this
previously, and I know you were involved in the thread (but you don't
have a good memory)... seasoning aluminum and stainless steel cookware
is done exactly the same as machined bearing surfaces are prepared to
minimize friction/sticking... a pattern of 'scratches' is applied, so
that lubricant (cooking fat)can penetrate into the valleys and crests
are formed to minimize the surface area available for food to adhere.
Foods will not typically flow into the valleys as the surface tension
of most foods will not permit that to occur. Those who are intent on
polishing their cookware to its original luster are not permitting
seasoning to occur. Treat aluminum and stainless exactly opposite as
non-stick... dig in all you like with your metal spatulas and spoons...
then never attempt to polish with abrasives, steel wool, and especaily
not scotch brite. The more random the scratch pattern the better the
seasoning.

Naturally way too technical for most of yoose pinheads so meant only as
a conceptual reference: http://www.sunnen.com/newsArticle2.jsp

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:

> Of course aluminum and stainless cookware should be seasoned, just done
> differently from iron and carbon steel. I know I explained this
> previously, and I know you were involved in the thread (but you don't
> have a good memory)...[snip]

What I remember is that your "explanation" didn't lead to any practical
application, just like this one. I tend to remember what is useful
rather than what may sound as though I know something. -aem