KNIGHTLYDI

Default Stone soup project help

Yes it is a very unusual mix, recipes from Alton brown, Sarah Moulton,
top chefs from the Culinary institute of America, Gov Shwazzernegger,
Gov pataki, Sen Clinton, President Jimmy Carter...and hopefully from
YOU too!

Hello all,

The Queens Galley, a charity that brings awareness, relief education
and prevention of food insecurity in America is compiling recipes for
an awareness cookbook. We'd like to invite you to participate either as
individuals or as a group. please consider joining us and submitting a
recipe? If you choose to contribute one please remember to include your
name, city and state...add your group, class or organization if it is a
group project...please contact The Queens Galley dot org for more info
or send recipes via snail mail to The Queens galley 319 Wall Street
Kingston NY 12401 or call 845-331-0567.

jmcquown

KNIGHTLYDI wrote:
> Yes it is a very unusual mix, recipes from Alton brown, Sarah Moulton,
> top chefs from the Culinary institute of America, Gov Shwazzernegger

(snip)

What is the point? You get our recipes and our money? To what fund does
this go aside from your pockets? No, but thank you.

Jill

KNIGHTLYDI

Actually Jill, The Queens galley is a 501 (c) 3 not for profit
organization. NO ONE here is paid, we are 100% volunteer, 100% donation
funded, ALL of the money we raise, every cent of every dollar goes
directly to programming...workshops that we NEVER charge for. The
Queens Galley is not a food pantry or soup kitchen we do not hand out
food, we TEACH people how to make the best of the food they have access
to, whether it be a family on food stamps, a teen mom on the WIC
program or a senior citizen on a fixed income newly diagnosed with a
dietary concern such as diabetes.

Yes, I asked for your recipes, NO I never tried to sell you a book. In
fact for every book we do sell one is given away FREE to workshop
participants int he hope that newly learned techniques will help them
in the kitchen and those recipes might be an inspiration to try
something new.

The reason for the book is to bring awareness of food insecurity in
America. Do a Google on it. 16% of American families with children
report that they have difficulty putting balanced meals on the table
and rely on inexpensive calorie laden low nutritive foods to fill the
stomachs of their kids...some of those parents go hungry so the kids
can eat. We try to teach them how to make low cost but nutritive foods
in an effort to make their lives easier. I know that teaching a family
how to make a pot of chili from dried beans might not seem like a big
deal to you, but for some of the families that we work with in homeless
shelters it is a VERY big deal.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. All I
asked for was a recipe to help make people aware that food insecurity
in America is a rampant issue, it costs NOTHING to contribute other
than a few minutes of time and a small piece of compassion.

Please take the time to visit our website and see what our volunteers
do before you go and judge. better yet...why not take some time and go
DO something for someone just because it's a NICE thing to do and not
worry who will profit? I suggest October 22 might be a good day to
start, national make a difference day. Maybe you might mark your
calendar and take an hour to stock a food pantry shelf, read to someone
in a senior citizen home or help with a food drive...if you can't find
somewhere to volunteer give me a call I'll be happy to find a volunteer
opportunity for you.

Did you get my point now?

enigma

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> KNIGHTLYDI wrote:
>> Yes it is a very unusual mix, recipes from Alton brown,
>> Sarah Moulton, top chefs from the Culinary institute of
>> America, Gov Shwazzernegger

> (snip)
>
> What is the point? You get our recipes and our money? To
> what fund does this go aside from your pockets? No, but
> thank you.

they not only provide goods to a soup kitchen, they run
cooking classes for welfare/poor folks teaching them how to
make good healthy food for less than the convenience crap.
they do good work.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
jmcquown

enigma wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> KNIGHTLYDI wrote:
>>> Yes it is a very unusual mix, recipes from Alton brown,
>>> Sarah Moulton, top chefs from the Culinary institute of
>>> America, Gov Shwazzernegger

>> (snip)
>>
>> What is the point? You get our recipes and our money? To
>> what fund does this go aside from your pockets? No, but
>> thank you.

> they not only provide goods to a soup kitchen, they run
> cooking classes for welfare/poor folks teaching them how to
> make good healthy food for less than the convenience crap.
> they do good work.
> lee

Mea Culpa (a.k.a. I eat my words)

Jill

jmcquown

My apologies. Knee jerk reaction, for which I am sorry.

Jill

KNIGHTLYDI wrote:
> Actually Jill, The Queens galley is a 501 (c) 3 not for profit
> organization. NO ONE here is paid, we are 100% volunteer, 100%
> donation funded, ALL of the money we raise, every cent of every
> dollar goes directly to programming...workshops that we NEVER charge
> for. The Queens Galley is not a food pantry or soup kitchen we do not
> hand out food, we TEACH people how to make the best of the food they
> have access to, whether it be a family on food stamps, a teen mom on
> the WIC program or a senior citizen on a fixed income newly diagnosed
> with a dietary concern such as diabetes.
>
> Yes, I asked for your recipes, NO I never tried to sell you a book. In
> fact for every book we do sell one is given away FREE to workshop
> participants int he hope that newly learned techniques will help them
> in the kitchen and those recipes might be an inspiration to try
> something new.
>
> The reason for the book is to bring awareness of food insecurity in
> America. Do a Google on it. 16% of American families with children
> report that they have difficulty putting balanced meals on the table
> and rely on inexpensive calorie laden low nutritive foods to fill the
> stomachs of their kids...some of those parents go hungry so the kids
> can eat. We try to teach them how to make low cost but nutritive foods
> in an effort to make their lives easier. I know that teaching a family
> how to make a pot of chili from dried beans might not seem like a big
> deal to you, but for some of the families that we work with in
> homeless shelters it is a VERY big deal.
>
> We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. All I
> asked for was a recipe to help make people aware that food insecurity
> in America is a rampant issue, it costs NOTHING to contribute other
> than a few minutes of time and a small piece of compassion.
>
> Please take the time to visit our website and see what our volunteers
> do before you go and judge. better yet...why not take some time and go
> DO something for someone just because it's a NICE thing to do and not
> worry who will profit? I suggest October 22 might be a good day to
> start, national make a difference day. Maybe you might mark your
> calendar and take an hour to stock a food pantry shelf, read to
> someone in a senior citizen home or help with a food drive...if you
> can't find somewhere to volunteer give me a call I'll be happy to
> find a volunteer opportunity for you.
>
> Did you get my point now?

Damsel

I've sent my recipes. Anyone else?

Carol

KNIGHTLYDI wrote:
> Yes it is a very unusual mix, recipes from Alton brown, Sarah Moulton,
> top chefs from the Culinary institute of America, Gov Shwazzernegger,
> Gov pataki, Sen Clinton, President Jimmy Carter...and hopefully from
> YOU too!
>
> Hello all,
>
> The Queens Galley, a charity that brings awareness, relief education
> and prevention of food insecurity in America is compiling recipes for
> an awareness cookbook. We'd like to invite you to participate either as
> individuals or as a group. please consider joining us and submitting a
> recipe? If you choose to contribute one please remember to include your
> name, city and state...add your group, class or organization if it is a
> group project...please contact The Queens Galley dot org for more info
> or send recipes via snail mail to The Queens galley 319 Wall Street
> Kingston NY 12401 or call 845-331-0567.

~patches~

KNIGHTLYDI wrote:

> Actually Jill, The Queens galley is a 501 (c) 3 not for profit
> organization. NO ONE here is paid, we are 100% volunteer, 100% donation
> funded, ALL of the money we raise, every cent of every dollar goes
> directly to programming...workshops that we NEVER charge for. The
> Queens Galley is not a food pantry or soup kitchen we do not hand out
> food, we TEACH people how to make the best of the food they have access
> to, whether it be a family on food stamps, a teen mom on the WIC
> program or a senior citizen on a fixed income newly diagnosed with a
> dietary concern such as diabetes.

IMO this is better than just handing them food. What good is the food
if they don't know how to cook? Many teen mom's have never been on
their own so have very limited skills as do some newly widowed guys.
Senior citizens with lessed mobility and not as good family suppor also
have it rough. How many of us come here and say we have the following
ingredients x, y, z what can I make with them? We are very luck we have
rfc as a resource but forget some do not. I love this idea of teaching
people how to use what they have. I would suggest you check out
container gardening as well. It is amazing how much you can get out of
a few containers and it will provide extra fresh veggies to those who
really need them.

> Yes, I asked for your recipes, NO I never tried to sell you a book. In
> fact for every book we do sell one is given away FREE to workshop
> participants int he hope that newly learned techniques will help them
> in the kitchen and those recipes might be an inspiration to try
> something new.

Two points - some here do not want their recipes shared and for the most
part they just don't post them and others don't want you making any kind
of profit either now or potential off *their* recipes. IMO recipes are
meant to be shared and with the one exception I share freely.

> The reason for the book is to bring awareness of food insecurity in
> America. Do a Google on it. 16% of American families with children
> report that they have difficulty putting balanced meals on the table
> and rely on inexpensive calorie laden low nutritive foods to fill the
> stomachs of their kids...some of those parents go hungry so the kids
> can eat. We try to teach them how to make low cost but nutritive foods
> in an effort to make their lives easier. I know that teaching a family
> how to make a pot of chili from dried beans might not seem like a big
> deal to you, but for some of the families that we work with in homeless
> shelters it is a VERY big deal.

IMO it can be a very big deal! Learning how to cook something like
dried beans can be overwhelming when you have little to no cooking
experience but a bag of dried beans will yield a lot more than a few
cans of already prepared. I think few here know what it is like to be
hungry. I have a real pet peeve over wasting food of any kind and I've
never had to deal with real hunger.

> We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. All I
> asked for was a recipe to help make people aware that food insecurity
> in America is a rampant issue, it costs NOTHING to contribute other
> than a few minutes of time and a small piece of compassion.

We've been away but I will post something to help out. Just give me a
little time to get organized. I should be refreshed by the morn so will
aim for then, ok?

> Please take the time to visit our website and see what our volunteers
> do before you go and judge. better yet...why not take some time and go
> DO something for someone just because it's a NICE thing to do and not
> worry who will profit? I suggest October 22 might be a good day to
> start, national make a difference day. Maybe you might mark your
> calendar and take an hour to stock a food pantry shelf, read to someone
> in a senior citizen home or help with a food drive...if you can't find
> somewhere to volunteer give me a call I'll be happy to find a volunteer
> opportunity for you.
>
> Did you get my point now?

Stone soup (sort of) Arri London General Cooking 1 22-01-2008 01:12 AM
Split Pea Soup Stone Removal Technique? Andy General Cooking 29 12-12-2005 02:54 AM
Stone Soup Dan Abel General Cooking 23 18-11-2005 01:00 AM
Stone soup guide KNIGHTLYDI Vegan 3 10-10-2005 12:20 AM
Stone soup guide KNIGHTLYDI Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2005 01:04 PM