FoodBanter.com

-   -   seasoning a wok (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/71600-seasoning-wok.html)

Jen 06-10-2005 12:08 PM

seasoning a wok

Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

--
Jen

Dr Hfuhruhurr 06-10-2005 12:45 PM

Jen wrote:
> Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

Seasoning a Wok effectively gives it a non-stick coating. A well
seasoned wok is easy to clean and maintain.

1. Rinse the wok in hot water with small amount of liquid detergent.

2. Scrub the exterior of the wok with a scouring pad.

3. Repeat the process on the inside of the wok, using a sponge
instead of a scouring pad.

4. Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.

5. Place the wok on low-medium heat.

6. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the wok.

7. Use a paper towel to rub the oil over the entire inside surface of
the wok.

8. Heat the wok for about 10 minutes.

9. Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black
residue on the towel.

10. Allow the wok to cool.

11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the
paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.

Tips:
Flat bottomed woks are better for electric ranges. Round bottomed woks
can reflect heat back on the heating element, damaging it.
It is important to thoroughly clean the wok to remove the
manufacturer's protective coating.
It is better not to purchase a non-stick carbon steel wok, as the high
heats required for Chinese cooking may damage the non-stick coating.
If you do purchase a non-stick wok, follow the seasoning and cleaning
instructions carefully, or you may damage the coating.
More How To's from your Guide To Chinese Cuisine

I can't remember where I got this info from but I refer to it just to
make sure my wok is tip top.

Doc

Jen 06-10-2005 01:12 PM

"Dr Hfuhruhurr" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jen wrote:
>> Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

> Seasoning a Wok effectively gives it a non-stick coating. A well
> seasoned wok is easy to clean and maintain.
>
> 1. Rinse the wok in hot water with small amount of liquid detergent.
>
> 2. Scrub the exterior of the wok with a scouring pad.
>
> 3. Repeat the process on the inside of the wok, using a sponge
> instead of a scouring pad.
>
> 4. Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.
>
> 5. Place the wok on low-medium heat.
>
> 6. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the wok.
>
> 7. Use a paper towel to rub the oil over the entire inside surface of
> the wok.
>
> 8. Heat the wok for about 10 minutes.
>
> 9. Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black
> residue on the towel.
>
> 10. Allow the wok to cool.
>
> 11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the
> paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.

How often do I need to do all this? Or is it just the once?

--
Jen

salgud 06-10-2005 03:12 PM

Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

> Seasoning a Wok effectively gives it a non-stick coating. A well
> seasoned wok is easy to clean and maintain.
>
> 1. Rinse the wok in hot water with small amount of liquid detergent.
>
> 2. Scrub the exterior of the wok with a scouring pad.
>
> 3. Repeat the process on the inside of the wok, using a sponge
> instead of a scouring pad.
>
> 4. Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.
>
> 5. Place the wok on low-medium heat.
>
> 6. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the wok.
>
> 7. Use a paper towel to rub the oil over the entire inside surface of
> the wok.
>
> 8. Heat the wok for about 10 minutes.
>
> 9. Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black
> residue on the towel.
>
> 10. Allow the wok to cool.
>
> 11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the
> paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.
>
> Tips:
> Flat bottomed woks are better for electric ranges. Round bottomed woks
> can reflect heat back on the heating element, damaging it.
> It is important to thoroughly clean the wok to remove the
> manufacturer's protective coating.
> It is better not to purchase a non-stick carbon steel wok, as the high
> heats required for Chinese cooking may damage the non-stick coating.
> If you do purchase a non-stick wok, follow the seasoning and cleaning
> instructions carefully, or you may damage the coating.
> More How To's from your Guide To Chinese Cuisine
>
> I can't remember where I got this info from but I refer to it just to
> make sure my wok is tip top.
>
> Doc

I've been seasoning my woks for over 30 years in an entirely different
way. I coat the inside with oil, leaving just a little in the bottom,
then heat them up until the oil just begins to smoke (in oven or on
range top), then back off the heat until they just stop smoking. Then
let them stay heated for about an hour. I make sure I keep the insides
of the wok oiled. Let it cool. Rinse it out. Never use soap to clean
it. Clean it with salt (kosher salt is a little more abrasive, but not
required) and dry it when done.
As for seasoning a non-stick wok, that's the most ridiculous idea I've
ever heard of. Just put some oil in it when you start to heat it. What
could oil possibly do in to a non-stick coating by being heated on it,
or left on it when it's cold? Absolutely nothing! It's non-porous!
That's why it's non-stick! It won't absorb food, which means it won't
absorb oil. Treat a non-stick wok like any other non-stick pan, unless
it makes you feel "authentic" somehow.

Dr Hfuhruhurr 06-10-2005 03:53 PM

Jen wrote:
> "Dr Hfuhruhurr" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Jen wrote:
> >> Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

> > Seasoning a Wok effectively gives it a non-stick coating. A well
> > seasoned wok is easy to clean and maintain.
> >
> > 1. Rinse the wok in hot water with small amount of liquid detergent.
> >
> > 2. Scrub the exterior of the wok with a scouring pad.
> >
> > 3. Repeat the process on the inside of the wok, using a sponge
> > instead of a scouring pad.
> >
> > 4. Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.
> >
> > 5. Place the wok on low-medium heat.
> >
> > 6. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the wok.
> >
> > 7. Use a paper towel to rub the oil over the entire inside surface of
> > the wok.
> >
> > 8. Heat the wok for about 10 minutes.
> >
> > 9. Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black
> > residue on the towel.
> >
> > 10. Allow the wok to cool.
> >
> > 11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the
> > paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.

> How often do I need to do all this? Or is it just the once?

If the 'season' appears to go off, and it loses it's 'non stick'
properties then re-do. It depends on how often you use it. Once I've
finished cooking, I clean it with just water and apply a light coating
of oil to store. keeps it OK for about 6 months or so.

Doc

Victor Sack 06-10-2005 10:44 PM

Jen > wrote:

> Why do woks need to be seasoned. How do you do it, and how often?

See section 5.1 of the rec.food.cooking FAQ.

<http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html>

Victor