lunallena

Default Need help w/ plum dumplins

Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country Chechoslovakia
(sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.
Ophelia

"lunallena" > wrote in message
> Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
> dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
> using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
> potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
> Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
> this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country
> Chechoslovakia
> (sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.

Barb Schaller might know

Arri London

lunallena wrote:

> Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
> dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
> using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
> potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
> Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
> this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country Chechoslovakia
> (sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.

Try this: From 'Czech Cuisine'

Potato dough dumplings

500 g potatoes freshly boiled
125 g flour
20 g semolina
pinch of salt
1 egg beaten
500 g fruit (plums or apricots)
hard cottage cheese
sugar
butter

Press freshly boiled potatoes through a sieve/ricer, sprinkle with
semolina and flour, add salt and egg. Work into a stiff dough and cut
into flat pieces. Wrap a plum or apricot with each piece of dough and
make into round dumplings.(Seal well to keep in juices.)
Drop dumplings into boiling water and boil for 5--8 minutes until done.
Drain and sprinkle with grated cottage cheese, sugar and melted butter.
lunallena

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.
Luna

Arri London > wrote in :

> lunallena wrote:
>>
>> Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious
>> plum dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She
>> made them using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of
>> leftover mashed potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with
>> butterrd bread crumbs. Does anyone know the name of this dish? or
>> when I can find a recipe for this. I might add my grandmother was
>> from the "old' country Chechoslovakia (sp?) and made a lot of
>> bohemian/baviarn dishes.

> Try this: From 'Czech Cuisine'
>
> Potato dough dumplings
>
> 500 g potatoes freshly boiled
> 125 g flour
> 20 g semolina
> pinch of salt
> 1 egg beaten
> 500 g fruit (plums or apricots)
> hard cottage cheese
> sugar
> butter
>
> Press freshly boiled potatoes through a sieve/ricer, sprinkle with
> semolina and flour, add salt and egg. Work into a stiff dough and cut
> into flat pieces. Wrap a plum or apricot with each piece of dough and
> make into round dumplings.(Seal well to keep in juices.)
> Drop dumplings into boiling water and boil for 5--8 minutes until
> done. Drain and sprinkle with grated cottage cheese, sugar and melted
> butter.

jake

lunallena wrote:

> Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
> dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
> using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
> potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
> Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
> this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country Chechoslovakia
> (sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.

What you are describing reminds me of German Knödel (Knoedel). They
come in many varietie, savoury and sweet, and with various types of
doughs and fillings. Google might help you out using that word as a
search term.

Monika Adamczyk

lunallena wrote:
> Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
> dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
> using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
> potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
> Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
> this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country Chechoslovakia
> (sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.

I am sure they are popular in more than one cuisine in Europe and each
has its own name for it. Poles call them 'knedle'. The dough is made
from boiled and mashed potatoes, flour and eggs.
BTW, I have no idea why but same dough with savory filling changes name
from 'knedle' to 'pyzy'.

Monika
Arri London

Monika Adamczyk wrote:

> lunallena wrote:
> > Many years ago my grandmother used to make these totally delicious plum
> > dumplins and for the life of me I can't reproduce them. She made them
> > using the prune/Italian plums and made the dumplins out of leftover mashed
> > potatoes, boiling them and then baking them with butterrd bread crumbs.
> > Does anyone know the name of this dish? or when I can find a recipe for
> > this. I might add my grandmother was from the "old' country Chechoslovakia
> > (sp?) and made a lot of bohemian/baviarn dishes.

> I am sure they are popular in more than one cuisine in Europe and each
> has its own name for it. Poles call them 'knedle'. The dough is made
> from boiled and mashed potatoes, flour and eggs.
> BTW, I have no idea why but same dough with savory filling changes name
> from 'knedle' to 'pyzy'.
>
> Monika

When a nice Czech lady served some to me, she assumed I'd never had any
before. Told her my German/Dutch side of the family made them too. Poor
woman was astonished and said we must have Czech ancestry 'cos no one
else knows how to make them LOL.

Plum Jam BT Humble Preserving 4 07-01-2009 04:33 PM
But I want DENSE dumplins! levelwave General Cooking 22 30-01-2008 04:16 AM
Corn Meal Dumplins vernon price Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2007 01:51 AM
Plum jam and plum sauce George Shirley Preserving 2 04-08-2006 02:47 AM