rmg

Default Salt Lake City Gut Bombs for the Soul

I just spent 7 days in Salt Lake City in a hotel right next to the Temple.
Pretty country, nice people.

It was not easy to grab good cheap food there though, probalby because we
were downtown. The restaurant attached to our hotel served what seemed like
truck stop food - although I'm picky being from the San Francisco Bay Area.
By day 3 I was having biscuits and gravy for breakfast and I was always
really happy to see watermelon on their buffet. Salads were iceberg lettuce
and sugary dressing.

I did find one good place, the Red Rock Brewing Company. Good weak beer and
excellent pizza and onion rings, and their coleslaw and salads were good and
green.

All in all though I came home feeling overfed and malnourished.

RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time while
in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy all over
it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think there is
something good about it and have made it, could you post a recipe? Thanks.

cheers, Rox

aem

rmg wrote:
>[snip]
> RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time while
> in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy all over
> it. What's good about chicken fried steak?

Chicken fried steak is just an excuse for eating breading and white
gravy. You like it, or you don't, or you crave it once a year or
so.... -aem

Andy

rmg wrote:

> RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time
> while in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy
> all over it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think
> there is something good about it and have made it, could you post a
> recipe? Thanks.

Rox,

Try a few other restaurants for chicken-fried steak and gravy. Don't form
an opinion of it based on your first time.

What's good about it? It's Southern Comfort Food!!! Usually enjoyed with
eggs and biscuits with MORE gravy. I prefer sausage gravy with mine, it
ups the comfort factor!

Andy
pennyaline

rmg wrote:
> I just spent 7 days in Salt Lake City in a hotel right next to the Temple.
> Pretty country, nice people.
>
> It was not easy to grab good cheap food there though, probalby because we
> were downtown. The restaurant attached to our hotel served what seemed like
> truck stop food - although I'm picky being from the San Francisco Bay Area.
> By day 3 I was having biscuits and gravy for breakfast and I was always
> really happy to see watermelon on their buffet. Salads were iceberg lettuce
> and sugary dressing.
>
> I did find one good place, the Red Rock Brewing Company. Good weak beer and
> excellent pizza and onion rings, and their coleslaw and salads were good and
> green.
>
> All in all though I came home feeling overfed and malnourished.

<Cry of joy!> And all this time, I thought it was just me!!

I'm in Salt Lake City. I've been here for years. It may be the most
food-challenged zone on the planet.

Restaurant food preparation here is abysmal, across the board. I don't
know what forces shaped the overall tastes and sensibilities here, but
they not only accept terrible flavor, texture and appearance, but herald
it as fabulous!

And the price vs quality issue was not due to your being in the downtown
area. It's like that wherever you go.

The tone of the food here (unless its one of those ubiquitous Tex-Mex
supersonically spiced to the point of pain melanges) tends to be bland
and sweet. I remember my first trips to the restaurants here, small
local places as well as the chains. In one, I ordered a fettuccine
Alfredo and was put off by the gooey pasta and sugary sauce. It was so
disgusting, I not only refused to eat it but refused to pay for it,
while all around me folks were chowing down and effusing about how
wonderful it all was. Over time, I have found that it is the same way
all over this area, from one end of the state to the other.

General Conference just ended. Were you here for that?

> RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time while
> in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy all over
> it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think there is
> something good about it and have made it, could you post a recipe? Thanks.

When it's well made, it's great!
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
pennyaline > wrote:

> Restaurant food preparation here is abysmal, across the board. I don't
> know what forces shaped the overall tastes and sensibilities here, but
> they not only accept terrible flavor, texture and appearance, but herald
> it as fabulous!

I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
to that?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Dan Abel

In article >,
"rmg" > wrote:

> RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time while
> in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy all over
> it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think there is
> something good about it and have made it, could you post a recipe? Thanks.

If they didn't do anything else right, why did you expect this one to be
different?

:-)

Try posting to ba.eats and ask where a good CF steak place is, if there
is one here. Be sure to post where you are, as half the people there
assume that everyone lives in MV, which, believe it or not, is *not*
Mill Valley!
pennyaline

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> pennyaline > wrote:
>
>> Restaurant food preparation here is abysmal, across the board. I don't
>> know what forces shaped the overall tastes and sensibilities here, but
>> they not only accept terrible flavor, texture and appearance, but herald
>> it as fabulous!

> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
> possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
> to that?

Not in my experience. They are bland and awful everywhere, from what
I've tasted in my travels through the state.

RMs return to all parts of Utah (and Idaho, and Oregon, and California,
and Illinois, and to other countries and... they come from and return to
practically everywhere!), not just to Provo. It's possible that Provo
restaurateurs might tweak their restaurants to please the missionary
crowd, but its more likely that they only think they are doing so.

And having listened to RMs describing their experiences "abroad," one
thread is common among them: there is no substitute for the food they
grew up with.

None of the above addresses the Sundance experience, which is something
like an endless crawl of every Starbucks in existence. But when you do
finally get a table at a real restaurant, the food is typically Utahn.
zxcvbob

pennyaline wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
>> pennyaline > wrote:
>>
>>> Restaurant food preparation here is abysmal, across the board. I
>>> don't know what forces shaped the overall tastes and sensibilities
>>> here, but they not only accept terrible flavor, texture and
>>> appearance, but herald it as fabulous!

>> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
>> possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any
>> truth to that?

> Not in my experience. They are bland and awful everywhere, from what
> I've tasted in my travels through the state.

I had some decent Mexican food in Hurricane, UT a few months ago. Not
particularly spicy but OK. The tamales were good. I thought it was
interesting that they didn't even serve 3.2 beer. IIRC it was about the
only restaurant that was still open after dark on a Friday night.

We spent a week in Utah (mainly camping and hiking) and that was the
only meal we bought. Mostly we ate sandwiches, apples, canned beans,
and beef jerky -- and lots of water (it was really hot.)

Best regards,
Bob

In >, on 10/05/05
at 02:34 AM, "rmg" > said:

>I did find one good place, the Red Rock Brewing Company. Good weak beer
>and excellent pizza and onion rings, and their coleslaw and salads were
>good and green.

I used to live in the Salt Lake City/Orem-Provo area and was a regular
visitor to this place during those years. Salt Lake Roasting Company
(coffee roaster) used to have some decent eats. The Golden Braid
Bookstore/Coffee House also had some.

Up at the corner of Ninth & Ninth, there were a few good places too.

>RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time
>while in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy
>all over it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think
>there is something good about it and have made it, could you post a
>recipe? Thanks.

Chicken fried steak comes in a lot of variations. The batter can be made
with flour-egg-four or with milk or beer, cornflakes, panko . . .

In >, on 10/05/05
at 04:55 AM, Andy <q> said:

>rmg wrote:

>> RE COOKING: I also tried chicken fried steak for the very first time
>> while in SLC. A battered slab of chopped beef with white biscuit gravy
>> all over it. What's good about chicken fried steak? And if you think
>> there is something good about it and have made it, could you post a
>> recipe? Thanks.

>Rox,

>Try a few other restaurants for chicken-fried steak and gravy. Don't form
> an opinion of it based on your first time.

>What's good about it? It's Southern Comfort Food!!! Usually enjoyed with
>eggs and biscuits with MORE gravy. I prefer sausage gravy with mine, it
>ups the comfort factor!

Mashed potatoes with the gravy, man, mashed taters. Hold the gravy for
breakfast and then biscuis and gravy with fried or scrambled eggs, sausage
or bacon . . .

jim

In >, on 10/05/05
at 10:50 AM, Ranee Mueller > said:

> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
>possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
>to that?

There was a Chinese place there in 93-95 (China Lily) that was very good
and a few others. They had a knock-off Tommy's hamburger joint and the
Mexican food was passable but very bland - some of the places not even
stocking hot sauce or salsa.

I was told the reason was that salsa releases endorphines and a big blast
of them can make someone feel "high" and THAT was not viewed positively by
the Mormon Church. Needless to say, I used to sneak my own into that
restaurant. Of course there were Mormon jokes about this and other things,
too.

jim

In >, on 10/05/05
at 12:46 PM, pennyaline > said:

>Ranee Mueller wrote:
>> pennyaline > wrote:

>> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
>> possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
>> to that?

>Not in my experience. They are bland and awful everywhere, from what
>I've tasted in my travels through the state.

There are good restaurants but you have to live there or be lead to them.
I've mentioned Ninth & Ninth, there was another place to the East of the
Zoo. Microbreweries and coffee places . . .

>RMs return to all parts of Utah (and Idaho, and Oregon, and California,
>and Illinois, and to other countries and... they come from and return to
>practically everywhere!), not just to Provo. It's possible that Provo
>restaurateurs might tweak their restaurants to please the missionary
>crowd, but its more likely that they only think they are doing so.

Provo/Orem has a very high percentage of Mormons compared to SLC and that
is the crowd the restaurants markets to. I think the figures I remember
hearing ('93-'95) were 80% for Orem/Provo and <40% for SLC.

>And having listened to RMs describing their experiences "abroad," one
>thread is common among them: there is no substitute for the food they
>grew up with.

As is the case for most people.

>None of the above addresses the Sundance experience, which is something
>like an endless crawl of every Starbucks in existence. But when you do
>finally get a table at a real restaurant, the food is typically Utahn.

Sorry to hear that Sundance has fallen so low. I used to really enjoy
their food and buffets and ate there about twice a month. It was one place
where the fruit and, especially, vegetables were really fresh and well
prepared.

jim

Richard Kaszeta

"rmg" > writes:

> I just spent 7 days in Salt Lake City in a hotel right next to the Temple.
> Pretty country, nice people.
>
> It was not easy to grab good cheap food there though, probalby because we
> were downtown.

Only good cheap place I've eaten in SLC is Red Iguana, 736 N Temple.
Reasonable Mexican food.

For high-end eats, Bambara is quite good, I've been there twice.

Otherwise, I'm sure there a good places hiding, but good eats in SLC
is a challenge.

> I did find one good place, the Red Rock Brewing Company. Good weak
> beer

Yeah, you missed the brief "Winter Olympics Alcohol Renaissance" which
was quite nice (for around a year the rules were noticeably relaxed).
Every other time I've been to SLC the act of drinking a beer is more
of a bureaucratic accomplishment than anything else...

> All in all though I came home feeling overfed and malnourished.

Remember, this is the state where "Fry Sauce" is the condiment of
choice for french fries (50/50 blend of mayo and ketchup)

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
zxcvbob

Richard Kaszeta wrote:

> Yeah, you missed the brief "Winter Olympics Alcohol Renaissance" which
> was quite nice (for around a year the rules were noticeably relaxed).
> Every other time I've been to SLC the act of drinking a beer is more
> of a bureaucratic accomplishment than anything else...

Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
head will hurt)

-Bob
Gregory Morrow

pennyaline wrote:

> I'm in Salt Lake City. I've been here for years. It may be the most
> food-challenged zone on the planet.
>
> Restaurant food preparation here is abysmal, across the board. I don't
> know what forces shaped the overall tastes and sensibilities here, but
> they not only accept terrible flavor, texture and appearance, but herald
> it as fabulous!
>
> And the price vs quality issue was not due to your being in the downtown
> area. It's like that wherever you go.
>
> The tone of the food here (unless its one of those ubiquitous Tex-Mex
> supersonically spiced to the point of pain melanges) tends to be bland
> and sweet. I remember my first trips to the restaurants here, small
> local places as well as the chains. In one, I ordered a fettuccine
> Alfredo and was put off by the gooey pasta and sugary sauce. It was so
> disgusting, I not only refused to eat it but refused to pay for it,
> while all around me folks were chowing down and effusing about how
> wonderful it all was. Over time, I have found that it is the same way
> all over this area, from one end of the state to the other.

Sounds like typical Midwest food...it's simply sustenance, nothing more.

In any case Mormons are bland, boring, and cheap. Looks like these traits
are reflected in their food.

--
Best
Greg

Dan Abel

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Richard Kaszeta wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, you missed the brief "Winter Olympics Alcohol Renaissance" which
> > was quite nice (for around a year the rules were noticeably relaxed).
> > Every other time I've been to SLC the act of drinking a beer is more
> > of a bureaucratic accomplishment than anything else...
> >

> Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
> 12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
> was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
> 3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
> in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
> head will hurt)

My head is hurting already!

Worse yet, you can't buy booze in the bars! Outside of every bar is a
liquor store. You buy the little bottles of booze and take them into
the bar with you, where you buy the "setup" to make your drink.
Nancy Young

"Dan Abel" > wrote

> zxcvbob > wrote:

>> Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
>> 12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
>> was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
>> 3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
>> in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
>> head will hurt)

> My head is hurting already!

> Worse yet, you can't buy booze in the bars! Outside of every bar is a
> liquor store. You buy the little bottles of booze and take them into
> the bar with you, where you buy the "setup" to make your drink.

For Pete's sake. Cross Utah off any possible retirement relocation
destination, creepy weird laws.

nancy

pennyaline

ensenadajim:
> pennyaline > said:
>> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>>> I've heard that the restaurants in Provo are actually quite nice,
>>> possibly catering to the tastes of the returned missionaries. Any truth
>>> to that?

>> Not in my experience. They are bland and awful everywhere, from what
>> I've tasted in my travels through the state.

> There are good restaurants but you have to live there or be lead to them.
> I've mentioned Ninth & Ninth, there was another place to the East of the
> Zoo. Microbreweries and coffee places . . .

I do live there. I'm aware of Ninth & Ninth (for the uninitiated, that's
the term for the area that surrounds Ninth East and Ninth South in SLC).
I'm also aware that Ninth & Ninth targets the sector that fancies itself
as up and coming, decidedly pretentious and willing to spare no expense
for fare that is, when it's all said and done, ordinary. You will find
the same wares in any city or large town, catering to the same clientèle
more than happy to pay for their ignorance through the nose.

>> RMs return to all parts of Utah (and Idaho, and Oregon, and California,
>> and Illinois, and to other countries and... they come from and return to
>> practically everywhere!), not just to Provo. It's possible that Provo
>> restaurateurs might tweak their restaurants to please the missionary
>> crowd, but its more likely that they only think they are doing so.

> Provo/Orem has a very high percentage of Mormons compared to SLC and that
> is the crowd the restaurants markets to. I think the figures I remember
> hearing ('93-'95) were 80% for Orem/Provo and <40% for SLC.

Probably correct, as numbers go. Utah County is ground zero in terms of
Mormon population and practice. But that has nothing to do with Ranee's
proposal that they aim to serve returning missionaries. And it has
nothing to do with the quality of its restaurants. They are as bland as
everywhere else in the state, and they tend to be franchises that
concern themselves with just one national marketing demographic.

>> And having listened to RMs describing their experiences "abroad," one
>> thread is common among them: there is no substitute for the food they
>> grew up with.

> As is the case for most people.
>

>> None of the above addresses the Sundance experience, which is something
>> like an endless crawl of every Starbucks in existence. But when you do
>> finally get a table at a real restaurant, the food is typically Utahn.

> Sorry to hear that Sundance has fallen so low. I used to really enjoy
> their food and buffets and ate there about twice a month. It was one place
> where the fruit and, especially, vegetables were really fresh and well
> prepared.

The whole concept of Sundance is a joke. It's a tourist trap, anymore.
What was once a effective backhanded salute to the snobbery of
mainstream Hollywood movie making has become what it intended to deride.
~patches~

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, you missed the brief "Winter Olympics Alcohol Renaissance" which
>>>was quite nice (for around a year the rules were noticeably relaxed).
>>>Every other time I've been to SLC the act of drinking a beer is more
>>>of a bureaucratic accomplishment than anything else...
>>>

>>Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
>>12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
>>was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
>>3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
>>in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
>>head will hurt)

> My head is hurting already!
>

> Worse yet, you can't buy booze in the bars! Outside of every bar is a
> liquor store. You buy the little bottles of booze and take them into
> the bar with you, where you buy the "setup" to make your drink.

I do hope you can buy at least the micky sized bottles instead of just
the little bottles. The price of those can really add up! What about
beer? Do they sell it in the liquor store or not? I suppose booze is
not in real high demand in Utah. It sure would make it hard to learn
how to use various alcohols in cooking.
pennyaline

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Dan Abel" > wrote
>
>> zxcvbob > wrote:

>>> Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
>>> 12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
>>> was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
>>> 3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
>>> in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
>>> head will hurt)

>> My head is hurting already!

>> Worse yet, you can't buy booze in the bars! Outside of every bar is a
>> liquor store. You buy the little bottles of booze and take them into
>> the bar with you, where you buy the "setup" to make your drink.

> For Pete's sake. Cross Utah off any possible retirement relocation
> destination, creepy weird laws.

Bob, has your leg stopped aching from the pulling it took?

Full alcohol beer can be purchased in State Liquor Stores. 3.2 beer and
malt beverages are all that can be purchased in grocery stores.

And Dan, liquor can be bought in any club or restaurant. But it's true
you can't buy it in a bar here because Utah doesn't have "bars."

The bars in clubs and restaurants are fully stocked, and you can order
just about any kind of drink you want... as long as it's not a double.
It is illegal to sell doubles. You can't even buy two singles, because
the sale of alcoholic beverages in clubs and restaurants is limited to
one ounce per patron per hour of hard liquor, one standard beer per
patron per hour, and one four ounce glass of wine per patron per hour.

But you can still drink all you want at home, and visits to the State
liquor and wine stores can be very rewarding. The wine stores are
surprisingly diversely supplied, and the liquor and beer selections run
from high end sippers down to frat-party gonna-get-drunk-fast
barfmeister. What more could you want?

Nancy, you're right. This is no place to retire to, but for better
reasons than its alcohol restrictions

Nancy Young

"pennyaline" > wrote

> Nancy, you're right. This is no place to retire to, but for better reasons
> than its alcohol restrictions

Even better! Wow. (laugh) Somehow I just don't think I'd fit
in there.

nancy

Gregory Morrow

http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer

Deseret Morning News, Tuesday, October 04, 2005

'Sons of Porn'? Fans of LDS film get shock

'Provo' DVDs pulled after 'Diary' turns up instead

By Leigh Dethman

Deseret Morning News (Salt Lake City)

'The newly released, squeaky clean LDS film "Sons of Provo" has taken on a
new moniker: "Sons of Porno."

Fans of the film came up with the nickname after two Utah families popped in
their "Sons of Provo" DVDs and instead found "Adored: Diary of a Porn Star"
on their screens, according to a Deseret Book cashier.

Deseret Book yanked the film from its shelves after two families in St.
George and Riverdale complained they didn't get what they paid for - good,
clean LDS fun.

"We're not going to play around with that, so we pulled them all," said Gail
Halladay, a Deseret Book spokesman. "We will not put it back on our shelves
until we're 100 percent sure it's the proper disc that goes into the
packaging."

The PG-rated "Sons of Provo" chronicles the life of an LDS boy band,
Everclean, on its journey to relative stardom. The lyrics of the band's
theme song preach of the wholesome image both the band and film try to
maintain:

'Everclean, cleaner than Listerine

Mellower than Dramamine

Not even close to obscene'

But somehow "Adored: Diary of a Porn Star" landed in "Sons of Provo" DVD
cases, complete with label.

The independent film is unrated but is not pornographic, said Corey Eubanks,
spokesman for Wolfe Video, the largest distributor of films featuring ***
and ******* characters and stories. However, the film does contain sexual
situations and centers around a *** porn star.

"It's a very heartwarming film about a porn star that reconnects with his
family," Eubanks said. "It's not a porn film at all. It's just about someone
who is a porn actor."

Both "Adored" and "Sons of Provo" hired the same Los Angeles company to make
copies of their movies for mass DVD sales. Somewhere in the distribution
process, "Adored" movies got mixed in with "Sons of Provo" DVDs and were
shipped to Utah, said George Dayton, who oversees HaleStorm's business
affairs.

HaleStorm refuses to hire any company that distributes pornographic films,
Dayton said. However, attorneys for HaleStorm and the distribution company
are arguing over whether "Adored" is, indeed, pornographic.

"This is hugely damaging," Dayton said. "We don't want our consumers to
associate anything with us, whether it's some soft-core title or whatever, I
don't know. But certainly this title doesn't lend itself to good, clean
family or LDS-centered entertainment."

HaleStorm Entertainment executives recalled "Sons of Provo" and ordered a
new shipment that could be back on shelves as early as this week, Dayton
said."

</>

Richard Kaszeta

Dan Abel > writes:
> Worse yet, you can't buy booze in the bars! Outside of every bar is a
> liquor store. You buy the little bottles of booze and take them into
> the bar with you, where you buy the "setup" to make your drink.

Incorrect, at least in most bars in SLC. They let bartenders use
metered delivery taps now, although that does result in some pretty
severe limits in the kind of drinks you can make.

I have had to do the little airline bottle thing there as well, but
not in a long time.

A lot of the rules are looser in "private clubs" as well, which means
that you have to fill out a form and pay a fee ($4 for a short visit,
or $12/year)

There's still a huge number of weird rules (like how many
establishments can only serve you beer with food). For the full rundown:
http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/

It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's one of the worse states for
alcohol regulation.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
rmg

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Somewhat south of Provo I stopped for gas, and the gas station had
> 12-packs of beer -- Miller Lite, I think, was on sale for about $8. It
> was cheaper than Coke. As I was buying it, I asked the lady if it was
> 3.2 beer or real beer. She said in Utah you can't even buy strong beer
> in the liquor stores. (think about that statement for a minute and your
> head will hurt)
>
> -Bob

Yeah. When I walked into Red Rock I was solo and I said, "I'm alone and I
want to eat, so can I just sit at the bar?" to which the host replied, "Sure
but if you sit at the bar you can't have wine or cocktails." I said "Ok"
like it was totally normal but had to shake my head to regain my bearings
over that one.

cheers, rox