Phoebe

Default Need help identifying odd pan

I went to the thrift store again today, and in addition to finding a pair of
really nice looking non stick doughnut/bagel pans, (one is 6 regular and the
other is 12 small) I found a very unusual cast iron item. Because of nice
experiences with my griddle, and the fact that it was only a couple of
dollars, (as were the pans ) I bought them all...

The problem is, I'm not quite sure what this is for. It's almost a griddle,
except that it has seven circles cut into it, in a flower pattern, each
about two inches across. The circles are quite shallow. I get the impression
that I'm supposed to pour something into them, perhaps to make some kind of
mini-pancake. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Carol Garbo

Sounds like it could be an old (non-electric) pizzelle maker, but
without actually seeing it, this is just a guess. Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

jacqui{JB}

"Phoebe" > wrote in message news:Mln0f.24$y_1.17@edtnps89...

> It's almost a griddle, except that it has seven circles cut
> into it, in a flower pattern, each about two inches across.
> The circles are quite shallow. I get the impression that
> I'm supposed to pour something into them, perhaps to
> make some kind of mini-pancake. Does this sound familiar
> to anyone?

Sounds like an ębleskiver pan. Does it look like one of these:
http://www.solvangrestaurant.com/pans.html

Or are the indentations *really* shallow, like this blini pan:
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...21nw01940.html

Ębleskiver or blini, that's my guess.
-j

jake

Phoebe wrote:

> I went to the thrift store again today, and in addition to finding a pair of
> really nice looking non stick doughnut/bagel pans, (one is 6 regular and the
> other is 12 small) I found a very unusual cast iron item. Because of nice
> experiences with my griddle, and the fact that it was only a couple of
> dollars, (as were the pans ) I bought them all...
>
> The problem is, I'm not quite sure what this is for. It's almost a griddle,
> except that it has seven circles cut into it, in a flower pattern, each
> about two inches across. The circles are quite shallow. I get the impression
> that I'm supposed to pour something into them, perhaps to make some kind of
> mini-pancake. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Is it like this?

http://images.google.nl/images?q=pof...ingen+zoe ken

Then it would be meant for Dutch poffertjes (small puffy pancakes made
from a pretty liquid batter)
Phoebe

The indentations are really shallow... but the picture on that page was hard
to see. Knowing a word to search for, I used google to find clearer
pictures, and yes, I think it must be a blini pan. Thank you

This will excite my Russian friend, because apparently that is a Russian
thing?

Please help identifying this tea Gyorgy Sajo Tea 7 19-08-2007 08:40 PM
Help identifying a black tea Konrad Scorciapino Tea 16 18-07-2006 07:36 PM
Help with identifying tea? Kitty Tea 11 24-04-2006 06:31 AM
Help with identifying tea? Kitty Tea 0 10-04-2006 07:33 AM
identifying Tea Set [email protected] Tea 2 10-10-2003 02:24 AM