Ben

Default what is prepared mustard

Hi,

I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is. In
some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some other
ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what makes
mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?

Thanks,
Ben

--
"What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.
Goomba

Ben wrote:

> I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is. In
> some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some other
> ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what makes
> mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?

Prepared is the "wet" kind in jars, versus the dry powered mustard like
Colman's/
Goomba

Goomba

Ben wrote:

> I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is. In
> some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some other
> ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what makes
> mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?

Prepared is the "wet" kind in jars, versus the dry powdered mustard
likeColman's/
Goomba

PENMART01

>Ben wrote:
>
>I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is. In
>some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some
>other
>ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what makes
>mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?

mustard, prepared
Prepared mustard is generally made from powdered mustard [I make my own and
often incorporate *crushed* mustard seed] combined with seasonings and a liquid
such as water, vinegar, wine, beer or MUST. American-style prepared mustard is
a mild mixture made from the less-pungent white seed flavored with sugar,
vinegar and turmeric (which makes it yellow). European and Chinese prepared
mustards are made from brown seeds and are much zestier and more flavorful.
The French are famous for their tangy DIJON MUSTARD, made with brown or black
seeds. The German prepared mustards can range from very hot to sweet and mild.
Chinese mustards are usually the hottest and most pungent of the prepared
mustards. A multitude of domestic and imported prepared mustards are readily
available in supermarkets. Unopened, prepared mustard can be stored in a cool,
dark place for about 2 years; once opened, it should be refrigerated.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
hahabogus

Ben > wrote in :

> Hi,
>
> I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is.
> In some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by
> some other ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone
> tell me what makes mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Perpared mustard is the mustard you see in jars (usually ball park
(yellow hotdog/hamburger type) mustard). A recipe pre-made (mixed mustard
seed flour with water and possibly vinegar and some spices as well). Like
French's mustard. So when you see prepared mustard...use a brand of mustard
you like.

Dry mustard is basically mustard flour. Again a pre-made recipe but one
without any liquid. (a blend of various mustard seeds ground up, to a
factory's recipe)

The use of the word prepared means that the item has previously
made/cooked, usually by a manufacturer in a large food factory.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Ben > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is.
> In
> some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some
> other
> ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what
> makes
> mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Prepared mustard is the ground mustard (sometimes called mustard flour)
mixed with liquid and perhaps other ingredients, ready for table service
from a spoon.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/30/04.
Only 7 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin' writes:
>
>>Ben > wrote:
>>
>> I keep seeing prepared mustard in recipes but have no idea what it is.
>> In
>> some other recipes I have also seen the word prepared followed by some
>> other
>> ingredient (maybe mayonnaise and the like?). Can anyone tell me what
>> makes
>> mustard prepared (what makes it unprepared)?

>Prepared mustard is the ground mustard (sometimes called mustard flour)
>mixed with liquid and perhaps other ingredients, ready for table service
>from a spoon.

Be sure it's a non-metalic spoon... some folks have a habit of leaving a metal
spreading implement in the mustard jar... a big no-no... ruins the mustard
(especially never use aluminum, not even to wrap mustard laden foods). Some
folks use silver but it turns black almost immediately. Use wood, bone, horn,
glass, and my favorite, porcelain.... I must have close to two dozen porcelain
mustard jars with matching lids and spoons. Even plastic tends to wreak havoc
with the natural oil contained in mustard.

http://www3.mailordercentral.com/mus...ts.asp?dept=23