Wayne Boatwright

Default My co-worker made me do it! (long)

We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,
Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous" spaghetti sauce. (We
have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a pot of pasta.)

Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town right
after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking if I
would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting it. She
would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is apparently a favorite
around the office, although I've never tasted it. I agreed (she's a really
nice lady), and just before leaving she brought me the recipe. I pocketed
the folded recipe without reading it, then stopped at the supermarket for
ingredients on the way home.

At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
home.

Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she expected.

Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make, but
I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used to get
at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.

Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.

If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sherry Biondi's Spaghetti Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 Pounds Ground Sirloin
1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Rubbed Sage
1 Teaspoon Oregano
3 Teaspoons Basil
1 Teaspoon Rosemary -- ground in spice mill
1 Scant Teaspoon Fennel Seed -- ground in spice mill
1 Each Bay Leaf -- ground in spice mill
1 Each Ragu Traditional Pasta Sauce -- 4 lb. 2oz. jar
1 1/2 Cups Beef Broth -- or water

Brown meat breaking it up into fine pieces. Cook until all excess moisture
has boiled away. Drain, if overly fat.

Add garlic, onion, salt, pepper, sugar, and herbs to meat and mix
thoroughly.

Add pasta sauce and broth or water to meat, mixing thoroughly. Heat over
low heat until it is simmering. Reduce heat to low to maintain a low
simmer. Cover partially and simmer for at least 2 hours or longer,
stirring occasionally. Cool, then refrigerate overnight. Reheat to
simmering before serving.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,
> Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous" spaghetti sauce. (We
> have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a pot of pasta.)
>
> Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town right
> after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking if I
> would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting it. She
> would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is apparently a favorite
> around the office, although I've never tasted it. I agreed (she's a really
> nice lady), and just before leaving she brought me the recipe. I pocketed
> the folded recipe without reading it, then stopped at the supermarket for
> ingredients on the way home.
>
> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
> filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
> I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
> home.
>
> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she expected.
>
> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make, but
> I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used to get
> at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.
>
> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.
>
> If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...

<snipped>
Sounds good. :-)
Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.
Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 01 Oct 2005 11:21:26p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my
>> co-worker, Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous"
>> spaghetti sauce. (We have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a
>> pot of pasta.)
>>
>> Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town
>> right after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking
>> if I would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting
>> it. She would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is
>> apparently a favorite around the office, although I've never tasted it.
>> I agreed (she's a really nice lady), and just before leaving she
>> brought me the recipe. I pocketed the folded recipe without reading
>> it, then stopped at the supermarket for ingredients on the way home.
>>
>> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu,
>> and filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a
>> potluck and I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't
>> have and headed home.
>>
>> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
>> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she
>> expected.
>>
>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
>> but I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I
>> used to get at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.
>>
>> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.
>>
>> If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...

> <snipped>
> Sounds good. :-)

I was quite pleasantly surprised by the taste. I'm not a food snob, but I
just didn't expect it to turn out that good.

> Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
> leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.

I just hadn't used a jarred store sauce in decades. I usually start with
fresh tomatoes or, at the very least, all separate components. I have to
admit that I didn't even know what Ragu tasted like.

Actually, even after slow simmering for nearly three hours, it didn't
really reduce by much. I used the water instead of the broth. I think the
long cooking is more for mellowing and smoothing out all those additions
than to reduce the consistency. At least that seemed to be what happened.
It tasted pretty raw after only a short time cooking.

> Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
> a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.

Now there's a thought. How much ginger do you add? At what point?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 11:21:26p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my
> >> co-worker, Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous"
> >> spaghetti sauce. (We have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a
> >> pot of pasta.)
> >>
> >> Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town
> >> right after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking
> >> if I would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting
> >> it. She would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is
> >> apparently a favorite around the office, although I've never tasted it.
> >> I agreed (she's a really nice lady), and just before leaving she
> >> brought me the recipe. I pocketed the folded recipe without reading
> >> it, then stopped at the supermarket for ingredients on the way home.
> >>
> >> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu,
> >> and filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a
> >> potluck and I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't
> >> have and headed home.
> >>
> >> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
> >> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she
> >> expected.
> >>
> >> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
> >> but I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I
> >> used to get at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.
> >>
> >> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.
> >>
> >> If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...

> > <snipped>
> > Sounds good. :-)

> I was quite pleasantly surprised by the taste. I'm not a food snob, but I
> just didn't expect it to turn out that good.
>
> > Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
> > leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.

> I just hadn't used a jarred store sauce in decades. I usually start with
> fresh tomatoes or, at the very least, all separate components. I have to
> admit that I didn't even know what Ragu tasted like.

I generally use Del Monte canned, or the fresh marinara from the deli
section at the store. It's actually not that bad by itself, but I like
my sauces pretty spicey.

> Actually, even after slow simmering for nearly three hours, it didn't
> really reduce by much. I used the water instead of the broth. I think the
> long cooking is more for mellowing and smoothing out all those additions
> than to reduce the consistency. At least that seemed to be what happened.
> It tasted pretty raw after only a short time cooking.

True, but overnight mellowing IMHO accomplishes the same thing.
My power bills have been high for the summer so I try to save
electricity wherever I can! One reason I love that electric grill so
much.

> > Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
> > a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.

> Now there's a thought. How much ginger do you add? At what point?

I add it at the beginning along with everything else and, like you, I
don't measure. ;-) Just one large bulb section and I run it over a fine
cheese grater, or sometimes I'll slice it and throw it into my little
electric chopper with a little sauce to get it good and liquified.
Depends..... I'd say one 2" root section per 2 quarts of sauce total
volume off the top of my head.

IMHO ginger is so complimentary to garlic, I've been using it a LOT. I
buy it fresh and I have a small wicker basket in the 'frige I store it
in and just break off chunks as needed. It stores pretty well. I'll trim
off any dry parts, but I don't peel it.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 12:13:55a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I add it at the beginning along with everything else and, like you, I
> don't measure. ;-) Just one large bulb section and I run it over a fine
> cheese grater, or sometimes I'll slice it and throw it into my little
> electric chopper with a little sauce to get it good and liquified.
> Depends..... I'd say one 2" root section per 2 quarts of sauce total
> volume off the top of my head.
>
> IMHO ginger is so complimentary to garlic, I've been using it a LOT. I
> buy it fresh and I have a small wicker basket in the 'frige I store it
> in and just break off chunks as needed. It stores pretty well. I'll trim
> off any dry parts, but I don't peel it.

I usually fresh ginger around and I love it with garlic. I always use them
together in Asian dishes. Thanks for the quantities and method. I will
try it!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 02 Oct 2005 12:13:55a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I add it at the beginning along with everything else and, like you, I
> > don't measure. ;-) Just one large bulb section and I run it over a fine
> > cheese grater, or sometimes I'll slice it and throw it into my little
> > electric chopper with a little sauce to get it good and liquified.
> > Depends..... I'd say one 2" root section per 2 quarts of sauce total
> > volume off the top of my head.
> >
> > IMHO ginger is so complimentary to garlic, I've been using it a LOT. I
> > buy it fresh and I have a small wicker basket in the 'frige I store it
> > in and just break off chunks as needed. It stores pretty well. I'll trim
> > off any dry parts, but I don't peel it.
> >

> I usually fresh ginger around and I love it with garlic. I always use them
> together in Asian dishes. Thanks for the quantities and method. I will
> try it!

Welcome! :-)

I used to just use ginger for stir fry, but I'm using it a lot more now.
Just about anywhere I use garlic......

Cheers!
--
Om.

Pandora

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat 01 Oct 2005 11:21:26p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In article >,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my
>>> co-worker, Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous"
>>> spaghetti sauce. (We have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a
>>> pot of pasta.)
>>>
>>> Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town
>>> right after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking
>>> if I would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting
>>> it. She would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is
>>> apparently a favorite around the office, although I've never tasted it.
>>> I agreed (she's a really nice lady), and just before leaving she
>>> brought me the recipe. I pocketed the folded recipe without reading
>>> it, then stopped at the supermarket for ingredients on the way home.
>>>
>>> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu,
>>> and filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a
>>> potluck and I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't
>>> have and headed home.
>>>
>>> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
>>> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she
>>> expected.
>>>
>>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
>>> but I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I
>>> used to get at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.
>>>
>>> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.
>>>
>>> If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...

>> <snipped>
>> Sounds good. :-)

> I was quite pleasantly surprised by the taste. I'm not a food snob, but I
> just didn't expect it to turn out that good.
>
>> Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
>> leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.

> I just hadn't used a jarred store sauce in decades. I usually start with
> fresh tomatoes or, at the very least, all separate components. I have to
> admit that I didn't even know what Ragu tasted like.
>
> Actually, even after slow simmering for nearly three hours, it didn't
> really reduce by much. I used the water instead of the broth. I think
> the
> long cooking is more for mellowing and smoothing out all those additions
> than to reduce the consistency. At least that seemed to be what happened.
> It tasted pretty raw after only a short time cooking.
>
>> Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
>> a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.

> Now there's a thought. How much ginger do you add? At what point?

Three hours for Ragù? 1 hour is sufficient!!! Btw, I've never used ginger.
Pandora

kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

> <snipped>
> Sounds good. :-)
> Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
> leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.
> Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
> a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.
> --
> Om.

I usually always buy a jarred sauce and jazz it up. The store bought sauces
aren't too bad and for the price you just can't beat it. I've made my own
sauce from scratch before and I swear I spent probably close to $30 in
groceries. For $2 a can, add a little onion, mushrooms, olives and a few
spices. Done deal.

kili

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >

> > <snipped>
> > Sounds good. :-)
> > Using jarred store sauces is always a good shortcut and time saver. I'd
> > leave out the broth tho' and it would not have to be reduced as long.
> > Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started adding
> > a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> I usually always buy a jarred sauce and jazz it up. The store bought sauces
> aren't too bad and for the price you just can't beat it. I've made my own
> sauce from scratch before and I swear I spent probably close to $30 in
> groceries. For $2 a can, add a little onion, mushrooms, olives and a few
> spices. Done deal.
>
> kili

<rofl> Glad I'm not the only one thats noticed that!
I also add ground meat, and /or italian sausage.
--
Om.

pennyaline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

<back story snipped>

> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
> filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
> I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
> home.
>
> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she expected.
>
> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make, but
> I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used to get
> at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.

Drat! He's on to us!

I've been making quick tomato sauce this way for ages. I'll also add
tomatoes (roughly cut up, don't bother to chop them). And depending on
what else I may have hanging around the house, I might throw in more
onion, peppers, mushrooms, chunks of cooked chicken, beef or pork...
whatever is languishing in or near the fridge.

Like all sauces of its kind, it's better the next day.

Becca

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily
> make, but I might just make it again for myself.

A few years ago, Consumer's Report did a survey on canned and jarred
spaghetti sauce, Preggo traditional sauce came in first.

The number one sauce, according to the best value, was Hunt's spaghetti
sauce, it is sold in a can instead of a jar. I have tried both of these
and they are pretty good. I use them when I make lasagna.

Becca
Kat

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
> but
> I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used to
> get
> at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.

There's a good Italian restaurant in NE Ohio? where? lol
I'll admit I have only lived in the area for 2 1/2 yrs, so I haven't been
everywhere
btw, sauce sounds great

Dee Randall

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily
>> make, but I might just make it again for myself.

> A few years ago, Consumer's Report did a survey on canned and jarred
> spaghetti sauce, Preggo traditional sauce came in first.
>
> The number one sauce, according to the best value, was Hunt's spaghetti
> sauce, it is sold in a can instead of a jar. I have tried both of these
> and they are pretty good. I use them when I make lasagna.
>
> Becca

One of my 100% Italian in-laws turned me on to "Red Pack" brand. Now that is
one powerful canned tomato sauce! I've used it on lasagna twice now
recently and it made a world-of-difference.
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 07:15:10a, Kat wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
>> but I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used
>> to get at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.

> There's a good Italian restaurant in NE Ohio? where? lol
> I'll admit I have only lived in the area for 2 1/2 yrs, so I haven't been
> everywhere
> btw, sauce sounds great

Thanks, Kat...

I assume you are living somewhere around the Cleveland area. Are you an
East or Westsider? We moved to AZ in 2000, so I must also assume that some
things haven't changed too much.

For starters, a number of restaurants in Little Italy on Mayfield Road Hill
are definitely worth a try. I used to like the Golden Bowl there, but
others are also good.

My favorite "spaghetti place" is Bucci's in Rocky River on Hilliard Blvd.
It's a very small place that also serves very good pizza. I absolutely
love their meat sauce and their bread with garlic butter on the side.
Order a salad with their "French" dressing with crumbled blue cheese.
Bucci's also has a location in Berea at #1 Berea Commons. It's a larger
place, and the veal dishes are quite good.

A must try is Carrie Cerino's in North Royalton. It's a gigantic
restaurant that does a lot of banquets and catering, but the food is quite
creditable.

Giovanni's Ristorante on Chagrin Blvd. in Beachwood is worth the prices
they charge, and nice for a special occasion.

Another nice little place in Rocky River is Nino's on Center Ridge Road.

Unfortunately, you arrived in NE Ohio too late to make it to the original
New York Spaghetti House on E. 9th St. in downtown Cleveland. This place
had been there since the 1920s and closed in the 1990s. I understand that
the rights to the recipes had been bought and new owners re-opened the
place, but I can't imagine it beng the same. It was an institution.

BTW, here's a pretty good list of restaurants all 'round Cleveland, the
majority I've been to.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 07:34:27a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily
>>> make, but I might just make it again for myself.

>> A few years ago, Consumer's Report did a survey on canned and jarred
>> spaghetti sauce, Preggo traditional sauce came in first.
>>
>> The number one sauce, according to the best value, was Hunt's spaghetti
>> sauce, it is sold in a can instead of a jar. I have tried both of
>> these and they are pretty good. I use them when I make lasagna.
>>
>> Becca

> One of my 100% Italian in-laws turned me on to "Red Pack" brand. Now
> that is one powerful canned tomato sauce! I've used it on lasagna twice
> now recently and it made a world-of-difference.
> Dee Dee

Yep, I used Red Pack canned tomato products and I think they're great.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 07:05:14a, pennyaline wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> <back story snipped>
>
>> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu,
>> and filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a
>> potluck and I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't
>> have and headed home.
>>
>> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
>> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she
>> expected.
>>
>> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make,
>> but I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I
>> used to get at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.

> Drat! He's on to us!
>
> I've been making quick tomato sauce this way for ages. I'll also add
> tomatoes (roughly cut up, don't bother to chop them). And depending on
> what else I may have hanging around the house, I might throw in more
> onion, peppers, mushrooms, chunks of cooked chicken, beef or pork...
> whatever is languishing in or near the fridge.
>
> Like all sauces of its kind, it's better the next day.

You mean to say that there's no one here taking 3 days to make a pot of
sauce? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
sf

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
> I've never used ginger.

You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
but I ususally add it to meat marinades.
~patches~

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>
>> I've never used ginger.

> You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
> but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

Fresh ginger tastes so much nicer than powdered ginger. I use it in
Oriental dishes and various chutneys. Ginger stores nicely in dry
sherry giving you a good supple of fresh ginger for chopping and ginger
flavoured sherry for cooking with.
sf

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:48:11 -0400, ~patches~ wrote:

> Fresh ginger tastes so much nicer than powdered ginger.

The only time I use powdered ginger is in pumpkin pie filling...
and it's the law to use it then.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 10:48:11a, ~patches~ wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>>
>>> I've never used ginger.

>> You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
>> but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

> Fresh ginger tastes so much nicer than powdered ginger. I use it in
> Oriental dishes and various chutneys. Ginger stores nicely in dry
> sherry giving you a good supple of fresh ginger for chopping and ginger
> flavoured sherry for cooking with.

Do you store the ginger in the sherry in the refrigerator, or can it be
left at room temperature?

Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf <see_reply_address.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
> > I've never used ginger.

> You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
> but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

I dare you. ;-)
As long as there is plenty of garlic of course. <G>

Another oddity that can add an interesting flavor to tomato sauces is
Cinnamon.

Whenever my mom made lasagna, she'd sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of
the ricotta cheese layer.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
> >
> >> I've never used ginger.

> > You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
> > but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

> Fresh ginger tastes so much nicer than powdered ginger. I use it in
> Oriental dishes and various chutneys. Ginger stores nicely in dry
> sherry giving you a good supple of fresh ginger for chopping and ginger
> flavoured sherry for cooking with.

I just store it in a wicker basket in the 'frige.
It keeps for a couple of months, if I let it last that long. ;-)
I try not to buy TOO much at a time, but I do use a lot of it.

I don't bother with ginger powder except for baking.
All other recipes get fresh.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,

> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.

Why not make 'em tonight and share with the folks at work?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> > We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,

> > Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.

> Why not make 'em tonight and share with the folks at work?

'Cause then he'd need to make twice as many, because by morning he'd
have most of them eaten... I'd prepare a big pot of espresso to sip so
I could stay awake just so I could eat, and that between sips of
annisette, so I don't get too wired. Like the fiddler says, life is a
precarious balance... if I were a rich man... ya da da da da...
Tradition!

Sheldon Mostel

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 04:16:50p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,

>> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.

> Why not make 'em tonight and share with the folks at work?

Uh, I think that's what I said. My OP was on Saturday night, which means I'm
making the cannoli tonight and take in to work tomorrow.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

Becca

Sheldon wrote:

> Like the fiddler says, life is a precarious balance... if I were a
> rich man... ya da da da da... Tradition!
>
> Sheldon Mostel

LOL!

Becca

Becca

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yep, I used Red Pack canned tomato products and I think they're great.

OK, I will try Red Pack and fresh ginger.

Becca

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Sun 02 Oct 2005 04:16:50p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >, Wayne
> > Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my
> >> co-worker,

> >> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.

> > Why not make 'em tonight and share with the folks at work?

> Uh, I think that's what I said. My OP was on Saturday night, which
> means I'm making the cannoli tonight and take in to work tomorrow.

I guess I looked at the date and didn't pay attention to the time. Post
shows 10/2 date. Whoops on me.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-26-05
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 02 Oct 2005 07:44:06p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 02 Oct 2005 04:16:50p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Why not make 'em tonight and share with the folks at work?

>> Uh, I think that's what I said. My OP was on Saturday night, which
>> means I'm making the cannoli tonight and take in to work tomorrow.

> I guess I looked at the date and didn't pay attention to the time. Post
> shows 10/2 date. Whoops on me.

No biggie. Didn't want you to lose a day! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Terry Pulliam Burd

On 2 Oct 2005 07:17:21 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

<snip>

>At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
>filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
>I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
>home.

Guilty secret: my spaghetti base is Ragu Traditional. I've made it for
years and friends and family rave about it. I doctor it up with
chopped onions, mushrooms, dried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, s & p,
whatever, but <shrug> it works, and for this working woman, what
works, erm, works for me. I brown ground beef the night before and
toss all other ingredients into the removal liner of my new Wonder
Machine crock pot/boiler/fryer/deep fryer, refrigerate overnight, then
let it cook all the next day. Love it. I also love the Wonder Machine
:-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Chris

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Store bought sauces always need help. <lol> I've recently started
> adding
> a little fresh ginger to my italian sauces and it's pretty good.
> --
> Om.

A little Italian restaurant around here used to serve spaghetti topped
with marinara that had fresh garlic and ginger added. The flavors were
so fresh, surprising, intriguing. Just delicious! Sofia's Special,
they called it. Haven't been there in a loooooong time.

Chris

Pandora

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> sf <see_reply_address.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:02:05 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>> > I've never used ginger.

>> You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
>> but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

I will try, next time.

> I dare you. ;-)
> As long as there is plenty of garlic of course. <G>
>
> Another oddity that can add an interesting flavor to tomato sauces is
> Cinnamon.
>
> Whenever my mom made lasagna, she'd sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of
> the ricotta cheese layer.

For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like the
taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.
Cheers
Pandora
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

sf

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:33:17 +0200, Pandora wrote:

> For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like the
> taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.

I'd leave the nutmet out too. The other thing I can't stand any trace
of nutmeg in is quiche.
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:49:14 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> I also love the Wonder Machine
>:-)

Which machine is this? Who makes it?

Christine
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:33:17 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>
> > For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like
> > the
> > taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.

> I'd leave the nutmet out too. The other thing I can't stand any trace
> of nutmeg in is quiche.

Mmm... I'm not a big nutmeg fan either.
I do like it in eggnog tho'.

Somewhere in my reading, I read that whole nutmegs are valuable and sell
for a lot in prison cultures.
--
Om.

Pandora

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:33:17 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>
>> For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like
>> the
>> taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.

> I'd leave the nutmet out too. The other thing I can't stand any trace
> of nutmeg in is quiche.

De gustibus...
Pandora

biig

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> We're having a potluck lunch at work on Monday. Weeks ago my co-worker,
> Sherry, committed to bringing a pot of her "famous" spaghetti sauce. (We
> have a full kitchen at work and can easily cook a pot of pasta.)
>
> Yesterday afternoon, Sherry told me that she had to go out of town right
> after work and wouldn't be returning until Sunday evening, asking if I
> would make "her" spaghetti sauce for her as everyone was expecting it. She
> would reimburse me for the ingredients. Her sauce is apparently a favorite
> around the office, although I've never tasted it. I agreed (she's a really
> nice lady), and just before leaving she brought me the recipe. I pocketed
> the folded recipe without reading it, then stopped at the supermarket for
> ingredients on the way home.
>
> At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
> filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
> I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
> home.
>
> Tonight I made the sauce exactly the way the directions specified, and
> simmered it slowly for nearly three hours. Hey, it's what she expected.
>
> Amazing! I think it's really tasty. Not the sort I'd ordinarily make, but
> I might just make it again for myself. Reminds me of a sauce I used to get
> at a long ago Italian restaurant in NE Ohio.
>
> Me? I'm bringing cannoli which I'll make tomorrow night.
>
> If you're brave enough, give the sauce a try...
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Sherry Biondi's Spaghetti Sauce
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 1/2 Pounds Ground Sirloin
> 1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
> 1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion
> 1 Teaspoon Salt
> 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
> 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
> 1 Teaspoon Rubbed Sage
> 1 Teaspoon Oregano
> 3 Teaspoons Basil
> 1 Teaspoon Rosemary -- ground in spice mill
> 1 Scant Teaspoon Fennel Seed -- ground in spice mill
> 1 Each Bay Leaf -- ground in spice mill
> 1 Each Ragu Traditional Pasta Sauce -- 4 lb. 2oz. jar
> 1 1/2 Cups Beef Broth -- or water
>
> Brown meat breaking it up into fine pieces. Cook until all excess moisture
> has boiled away. Drain, if overly fat.
>
> Add garlic, onion, salt, pepper, sugar, and herbs to meat and mix
> thoroughly.
>
> Add pasta sauce and broth or water to meat, mixing thoroughly. Heat over
> low heat until it is simmering. Reduce heat to low to maintain a low
> simmer. Cover partially and simmer for at least 2 hours or longer,
> stirring occasionally. Cool, then refrigerate overnight. Reheat to
> simmering before serving.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> _____________________________

I use the Ragu sauce for mine too. I brown 1 lb. lean ground beef
per jar of Ragu sauce, drain well and remove meat from pan. I slice a
large spanish type onion and carmelize it in the pan. Put meat back in
and the jar of Ragu. I put in oregano, some sweetner to cut the sharp
tomato taste, garlic granules to taste. Then simmer for a couple of
hours. My dh says "never" to change the recipe. I usually triple the
recipe since that's what fits into my "dutch oven" type pot, and freeze
in serving sizes. Recently our No Frills grocery store has had it on
sale for .97 Canadian. I have been bringing home at least 3 jars per
week.

Sharon
biig

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2005 07:17:21 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >At the store I took my first look at her recipe. Wow! Based on Ragu, and
> >filled with powdered and dried spices. Well, it was just for a potluck and
> >I did agree to make it. I picked up everything I didn't have and headed
> >home.

> Guilty secret: my spaghetti base is Ragu Traditional. I've made it for
> years and friends and family rave about it. I doctor it up with
> chopped onions, mushrooms, dried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, s & p,
> whatever, but <shrug> it works, and for this working woman, what
> works, erm, works for me. I brown ground beef the night before and
> toss all other ingredients into the removal liner of my new Wonder
> Machine crock pot/boiler/fryer/deep fryer, refrigerate overnight, then
> let it cook all the next day. Love it. I also love the Wonder Machine
> :-)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Is there a website for the "wonder machine"? I googled and didn't get
it right....Thanks.....Sharon
~patches~

Pandora wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>In article >,
>>sf <see_reply_address.com> wrote:

>>>You'll love it! I'm still skeptical about using it in tomato sauce,
>>>but I ususally add it to meat marinades.

> I will try, next time.
>
>>I dare you. ;-)
>>As long as there is plenty of garlic of course. <G>
>>
>>Another oddity that can add an interesting flavor to tomato sauces is
>>Cinnamon.
>>
>>Whenever my mom made lasagna, she'd sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of
>>the ricotta cheese layer.
>>

> For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like the
> taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I use a bit of cinnamon in my homemade spaghetti meat sauce. It's quite
tasty.

>>Cheers!
>>--
>>Om.
>>
>>"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
>>Nicholson

~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 06:33:17 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>>

>>> For lasagne we only use nutmeg for the bechamel. I think I wouldn't like
>>> the
>>> taste of cinnamon in my tomato sauce.

>>I'd leave the nutmet out too. The other thing I can't stand any trace
>>of nutmeg in is quiche.

> Mmm... I'm not a big nutmeg fan either.
> I do like it in eggnog tho'.

I prefer fresh grated whole nutmeg to the powdered nutmeg. I find that
true for quite a few things - garlic, cinnamon, ginger, pepper.
Although I have a lot of the powdered spices and dried herbs, I use
fresh wherever possible.

> Somewhere in my reading, I read that whole nutmegs are valuable and sell
> for a lot in prison cultures.

I did not know that! Why would that be? I have a whole jar of them!

Recipe I made(long) W. Baker Diabetic 8 28-09-2011 06:50 PM
I made my soup! (Kind of long) kilikini General Cooking 6 26-03-2007 04:41 PM
Margaret Made me Do This - LONG Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 4 03-09-2004 12:10 AM
Margaret Made me Do This - LONG Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 12 03-09-2004 12:10 AM