Andy

Default Breakfast twinkies

2 twinkies
1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade

I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday. It's
easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet for my
taste buds.

Probaly no worse than donuts!??

Andy
jmcquown

Andy wrote:
> 2 twinkies
> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>
> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet
> for my taste buds.
>
> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>
> Andy

Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me later

I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice of
wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup for lunch. I
haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.

This is a recipe I haven't tried yet and of course I'll do some tweaking:

Cream of Spinach Soup
From The Twelve Months of Monestery Soups
(courtesy of Cyndi Hackett! Thanks!)
Sorry, it's a January Soup but I have to have it NOW!

1 package fresh spinach (frozen may be substituted and I'll be using that)
1 onion, sliced
4 Tbs. olive oil
7 cups chicken stock*
3 eggs
6 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
2 garlic cloves
6 slices bread**

(1) Wash the spinach, making sure it is well cleaned. Chop it. Chop the
onion.
(2) Pour the olive oil into a soup pot and briefly saute the spinach and
onion. After 3 minutes add the chicken stock and cook slowly over low heat
for about 30 minutes. Add more stock if necessary.
(3) Beat the eggs and Parmesan cheese in a deep bowl. Add salt, pepper and
nutmeg and mix it all very well.
(4) Blend the soup in a blender until this and creamy and return it to the
pot. Add the egg mixture and stir continually until all the elements blend
well. Reheat the soup over low heat for about 5-8 minutes. (Season now to
taste.)
(5) Rub the garlic on the slices of bread and place them in the oven for a
few minutes. Place a bread slice in each bowl and immediately pour the hot
soup on top. Serve hot.

*I'll be using canned broth and only 2 cans = 4 cups; I'll dilute with some
water and add a tsp. or so of Orrington Farms soup base paste if necessary.
I'll eliminate the salt in the recipe completely until it comes time to
taste and season before it hits the table. Might also add some fat free
half & half; just depends.

**Slices from a French baguette which I have in the freezer. Might even
make cheese toast with it.

Jill

Andy

jmcquown wrote:

> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me
> later

It did come as a mild shock to the system.

> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice
> of wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup for
> lunch. I haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.

You made me think of a quote. I forget where I heard/read it: "At lunch
we discuss what we're going to have for dinner."

Andy
Michel Boucher

Andy <q> wrote in :

> 2 twinkies
> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>
> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too
> sweet for my taste buds.
>
> Probaly no worse than donuts!??

I suspect donuts (dough-nuts) would be worse. Commercially made
dough-nuts (Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme and Tim Horton's) are
basically 50% sugar, 40% fat and 10% protein. Krispy Kreme has more
than 10% of fats from transfats.

http://www.radio-
canada.com/actualite/lepicerie/docArchives/2003/10/23/enquete.shtml

Dave, put aside your false notions about poutine. Krispy Kreme...
there's your heart attack on a plate.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Andy wrote:
>> 2 twinkies
>> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>>
>> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
>> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet
>> for my taste buds.
>>
>> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>>
>> Andy

> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me later
>

> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice of
> wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup for lunch.
> haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.

Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other kinds do you
have?

Michel Boucher

"Ophelia" > wrote in
. uk:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a
>> slice of wheat toast.

> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other
> kinds do you have?

Rye, barley, kamut, spelt, combinations thereof...the list, although
not endless, is quite long of bread stuffs that could avoid wheat
entirely.

However, it is my understanding, keeping in mind that I am not native
to the English language, that "wheat toast" refers to whole wheat bread
(and possibly cracked wheat bread) as opposed to white bread.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Ophelia

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> . uk:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a
>>> slice of wheat toast.

>> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other
>> kinds do you have?

> Rye, barley, kamut, spelt, combinations thereof...the list, although
> not endless, is quite long of bread stuffs that could avoid wheat
> entirely.
>
> However, it is my understanding, keeping in mind that I am not native
> to the English language, that "wheat toast" refers to whole wheat bread
> (and possibly cracked wheat bread) as opposed to white bread.

Thanks Michael We don't have all those breads and our usual choices for
toast is plain white or wholemeal

jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Andy wrote:
>>> 2 twinkies
>>> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>>>
>>> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
>>> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet
>>> for my taste buds.
>>>
>>> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me
>> later
>>
>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice
>> of wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup
>> for lunch. I
>> haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.

> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other kinds
> do you have?

Toast made from whole wheat bread (brown) as opposed to just white bread
(although of course they are both made from wheat); rye bread, pumpernickel,
like that.

Jill

Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me
>>> later
>>>
>>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice
>>> of wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup
>>> for lunch. I
>>> haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.

>> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other kinds
>> do you have?

> Toast made from whole wheat bread (brown) as opposed to just white bread
> (although of course they are both made from wheat); rye bread,
> pumpernickel,
> like that.

Thank you Jill We do have rye and pumpernickel but we wouldn't make toast
with them

jmcquown

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> . uk:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a
>>> slice of wheat toast.

>> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other
>> kinds do you have?

> Rye, barley, kamut, spelt, combinations thereof...the list, although
> not endless, is quite long of bread stuffs that could avoid wheat
> entirely.
>
> However, it is my understanding, keeping in mind that I am not native
> to the English language, that "wheat toast" refers to whole wheat
> bread (and possibly cracked wheat bread) as opposed to white bread.

Yes, whole wheat or cracked wheat bread.

Jill

jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in
>> . uk:
>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>>
>>> Jill I keep seeing the reference to 'wheat toast' What other
>>> kinds do you have?

>> Rye, barley, kamut, spelt, combinations thereof...the list, although
>> not endless, is quite long of bread stuffs that could avoid wheat
>> entirely.
>>
>> However, it is my understanding, keeping in mind that I am not native
>> to the English language, that "wheat toast" refers to whole wheat
>> bread (and possibly cracked wheat bread) as opposed to white bread.

> Thanks Michael We don't have all those breads and our usual choices
> for toast is plain white or wholemeal

I think wholemeal is the same thing. And it's Michel, not Michael (I made
the same mistake years ago but my ex-husband's name was Michael so my
fingers just typed it all by themselves LOL)

Jill

Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in
>>> . uk:

>>> Rye, barley, kamut, spelt, combinations thereof...the list, although
>>> not endless, is quite long of bread stuffs that could avoid wheat
>>> entirely.
>>>
>>> However, it is my understanding, keeping in mind that I am not native
>>> to the English language, that "wheat toast" refers to whole wheat
>>> bread (and possibly cracked wheat bread) as opposed to white bread.

>> Thanks Michael We don't have all those breads and our usual choices
>> for toast is plain white or wholemeal

> I think wholemeal is the same thing. And it's Michel, not Michael (I made
> the same mistake years ago but my ex-husband's name was Michael so my
> fingers just typed it all by themselves LOL)

Oooops sorry Michel.... thank you Jill *blush*

Goomba38

Andy wrote:
> 2 twinkies
> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>
> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday. It's
> easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet for my
> taste buds.
>
> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>
> Andy

Worse I would think? Artificial flavors, preservative to keep them fresh
for 20 years or so and more packaging to clog the landfills. Makes me
shiver just imagining the nasty things.
Goomba
Syssi

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Andy wrote:
>> 2 twinkies
>> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>>
>> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
>> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet
>> for my taste buds.
>>
>> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>>
>> Andy

> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me later
>

> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice of
> wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup for lunch.
> haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.
>
> This is a recipe I haven't tried yet and of course I'll do some tweaking:
>
> Cream of Spinach Soup
> From The Twelve Months of Monestery Soups
> (courtesy of Cyndi Hackett! Thanks!)
> Sorry, it's a January Soup but I have to have it NOW!
>
><snip>

You are most welcome! May you enjoy it past forever.

--
Syssi

Michel Boucher

"Ophelia" > wrote in
. uk:

>> I think wholemeal is the same thing. And it's Michel, not
>> Michael (I made the same mistake years ago but my ex-husband's
>> name was Michael so my fingers just typed it all by themselves
>> LOL)

Thanks Jill.

> Oooops sorry Michel.... thank you Jill *blush*

Yeah, watch that :-)

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

Nancy Young

"Ophelia" > wrote

> Thank you Jill We do have rye and pumpernickel but we wouldn't make
> toast with them

Oh, I love rye toast, I wonder if your rye is like ours ... when
I say ours, I mean along the lines of jewish rye.

As far as Andy buying Twinkies, I put that right up there with
my bizarre (as in WHY?) purchase of marshmallow fluff. I'm
still working on that batch of fudge, at least the stuff isn't sitting
there looking at me.

Twinkies, breakfast of champions. nancy

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote
>
>> Thank you Jill We do have rye and pumpernickel but we wouldn't
>> make toast with them

> Oh, I love rye toast, I wonder if your rye is like ours ... when
> I say ours, I mean along the lines of jewish rye.
>
> As far as Andy buying Twinkies, I put that right up there with
> my bizarre (as in WHY?) purchase of marshmallow fluff. I'm
> still working on that batch of fudge, at least the stuff isn't sitting
> there looking at me.
>
> Twinkies, breakfast of champions. nancy

I remember Twinkies pre-1971. They had *real* cream in them. After we left
the U.S. and came back, all I could taste was preservatives and fake cream.
Ugh!

Haven't had a Twinkie since (ditto Hostess cupcakes, Ding-Dongs, etc.)

Jill

jmcquown

Syssi wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Andy wrote:
>>> 2 twinkies
>>> 1 plasic cup of fruit punch gatorade
>>>
>>> I don't know what possessed me to buy a box of twinkies yesterday.
>>> It's easily been thirty years or more since I've had one. Too sweet
>>> for my taste buds.
>>>
>>> Probaly no worse than donuts!??
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Yikes! Take two Prozac to get you off that sugar high and call me
>> later
>>
>> I'm going to have two boiled eggs for breakfast with (maybe) a slice
>> of wheat toast. This is in preparation for cream of spinach soup
>> for lunch. I
>> haven't decided on what to thaw for dinner yet.
>>
>> This is a recipe I haven't tried yet and of course I'll do some
>> tweaking:
>>
>> Cream of Spinach Soup
>> From The Twelve Months of Monestery Soups
>> (courtesy of Cyndi Hackett! Thanks!)
>> Sorry, it's a January Soup but I have to have it NOW!
>>
>> <snip>

> You are most welcome! May you enjoy it past forever.

This is winding up to be dinner I'm steaming the frozen baby spinach
leaves as I type. Been out dropping off donations to some thrift stores and
had to take a nap with my cat

Jill

Andy

Nancy Young wrote:

> As far as Andy buying Twinkies, I put that right up there with
> my bizarre (as in WHY?) purchase of marshmallow fluff. I'm
> still working on that batch of fudge, at least the stuff isn't sitting
> there looking at me.
>
> Twinkies, breakfast of champions. nancy

What are ya tryin' ta do? Warm my heart??

(smile)

Andy