Wayne

Default "Chili" from the Pantry

Growing up in various parts of the Midwest, I never encountered a bowl of
chili before the age of 18 that wasn't tomato-based or didn't contain
beans, usually kidney beans. Traveling the Southwest lead me to many
variations on "chili", some very authentic and many not. I like most of
them. In fact, the only type of chili I don't like is Cincinnati-style
chili. I don't like the spaghetti, macaroni, rice, chocolate, cinnamon
additions/variations. I can't say it's bad; I just don't like it.

I offer here a *******ized variation on my mother's good ole Midwest-
style chili derived mostly from pantry items. It's much spicier and much
thicker than mom's, but the basic taste is the same. We like it; perhaps
other will. No need to knock it if you don't agree...there are just
simply too many variations out there to compare.

* Exported from MasterCook *

"Chili" From the Pantry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion -- 1/4" dice
5 cloves garlic -- finely minced
1 large fresh serrano pepper -- 1/4" dice
2 each fresh jalapeno peppers -- chopped
1/2 cup good quality chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin seed
2 teaspoons coriander seed
2 teaspoons oregano -- (Mexican preferred)
1 each bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes -- finely crushed
1 can tomato soup, condensed
2 cans kidney beans -- dark red
1 can kidney beans -- light red
1 cup v-8® vegetable juice -- approximately

In a large pot brown beef until all moisture is evaporated, leaving it
somewhat chunky. Remove meat from pot and set aside, but do not drain.

In the same pot heat olive oil, then add onion and cook slowly until
transparent and tender.

Add garlic and peppers, and continue cooking until peppers are tender.

Meanwhile, combine cumin seed, coriander seed, oregano, bay leaf,
peppercorns, and grind in a spice mill until finely ground. Combine
spice mixture thoroughly with chili powder and brown sugar.

Drain and thoroughly rinse kidney beans. Set aside.

Return meat to pot and stir to combine with sauteed vegetables. Add the
spice mixture and combine well.

Add Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and tomato
soup. Add V-8 Juice to slightly thin mixture. (Do not add too much at
this point.)

Bring mixture to a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Add reserved kidney
beans and stir gently to combine.

Return to slow simmer and cook on very low heat, covered, for 1-1/2
hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.

Chili may be thinned further with additional V-8 Juice, beer, or water,
according to taste, however, we prefer and serve it very thick.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Orion

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Drain and thoroughly rinse kidney beans. Set aside.
>
> Return meat to pot and stir to combine with sauteed vegetables. Add the
> spice mixture and combine well.
>
> Add Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and tomato
> soup. Add V-8 Juice to slightly thin mixture. (Do not add too much at
> this point.)
>
> Bring mixture to a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Add reserved kidney
> beans and stir gently to combine.
>
> Return to slow simmer and cook on very low heat, covered, for 1-1/2
> hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
>
> Chili may be thinned further with additional V-8 Juice, beer, or water,
> according to taste, however, we prefer and serve it very thick.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

This recipe looks really good, Wayne. The type of chili I grew up with.
Mom would have had vermicelli on the side if anyone wanted to add it
themselves. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

Suzan

Wayne

"Orion" > wrote in news:CNgAc.4923$8r5.1203@fed1read03:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message

> This recipe looks really good, Wayne. The type of chili I grew up
> with. Mom would have had vermicelli on the side if anyone wanted to
> add it themselves. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.
>
> Suzan

Thanks, Suzan. It is a very homey chili!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
> like most of them. In fact, the only type of chili I don't like is
> Cincinnati-style chili. I don't like the spaghetti, macaroni, rice,
> chocolate, cinnamon additions/variations. I can't say it's bad; I
> just don't like it.

Funny, you should mention spaghetti or macaroni. Last night I threw
together a sort of tex-mex goulash. Couldn't call it chili; couldn't call
it chili-mac. I used medium egg noodles, cooked and added to browned bulk
breakfast sausage. Crushed stewed tomatoes, a little beef broth, chili
powder, cumin and salt. I wound up adding a few dashes of Tabasco. I
needed to use the sausage as I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week, and
I needed to eat last night and today. It turned out very tasty. But
definitely *not* chili

Jill

Margie

Chili sounds good ,now try putting in a couple of Hersey kisses.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:56:29 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Wayne wrote:
>> like most of them. In fact, the only type of chili I don't like is
>> Cincinnati-style chili. I don't like the spaghetti, macaroni, rice,
>> chocolate, cinnamon additions/variations. I can't say it's bad; I
>> just don't like it.
>>

>Funny, you should mention spaghetti or macaroni. Last night I threw
>together a sort of tex-mex goulash. Couldn't call it chili; couldn't call
>it chili-mac. I used medium egg noodles, cooked and added to browned bulk
>breakfast sausage. Crushed stewed tomatoes, a little beef broth, chili
>powder, cumin and salt. I wound up adding a few dashes of Tabasco. I
>needed to use the sausage as I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week, and
>I needed to eat last night and today. It turned out very tasty. But
>definitely *not* chili

I see nothing wrong with that, partly because it is sort of the way I
"cook" most of the time. If it is just for home, who cares what you
call it?

My wife and I agree that whoever cooks goes out for pizza if the other
diesn't like it. Almost never happens as we have both gained some
control.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Jenny

Hi Wayne

I have been looking for a newsgroup about cooking to join and have
come across this one and was very interested in your recipe "Chili"
From the Pantry posting. My husband loves chili and likes to include
it in a lot of dishes. I have kept your recipe and will try it out as
soon as I have some time. It looks like a winner. Will let you know
how it goes.

Jenny

Wayne > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> peppercorns, and grind in a spice mill until finely ground. Combine
> spice mixture thoroughly with chili powder and brown sugar.
>
> Drain and thoroughly rinse kidney beans. Set aside.
>
> Return meat to pot and stir to combine with sauteed vegetables. Add the
> spice mixture and combine well.
>
> Add Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and tomato
> soup. Add V-8 Juice to slightly thin mixture. (Do not add too much at
> this point.)
>
> Bring mixture to a slow simmer, stirring frequently. Add reserved kidney
> beans and stir gently to combine.
>
> Return to slow simmer and cook on very low heat, covered, for 1-1/2
> hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
>
> Chili may be thinned further with additional V-8 Juice, beer, or water,
> according to taste, however, we prefer and serve it very thick.

Wayne

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>> like most of them. In fact, the only type of chili I don't like is
>> Cincinnati-style chili. I don't like the spaghetti, macaroni, rice,
>> chocolate, cinnamon additions/variations. I can't say it's bad; I
>> just don't like it.
>>

> Funny, you should mention spaghetti or macaroni. Last night I threw
> together a sort of tex-mex goulash. Couldn't call it chili; couldn't
> call it chili-mac. I used medium egg noodles, cooked and added to
> browned bulk breakfast sausage. Crushed stewed tomatoes, a little
> beef broth, chili powder, cumin and salt. I wound up adding a few
> dashes of Tabasco. I needed to use the sausage as I'm going out of
> town tomorrow for a week, and I needed to eat last night and today.
> It turned out very tasty. But definitely *not* chili
>
> Jill

It sounds good, Jill. I remember dishes similar to this that people
brought to church suppers as well as, of course, chili-mac. I like all
of these, I just don't care for a plate of spaghetti covered with scoops
of chili. In my mind there's a distinct difference.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Gregory Morrow

Jill wrote:

> Funny, you should mention spaghetti or macaroni. Last night I threw
> together a sort of tex-mex goulash. Couldn't call it chili; couldn't call
> it chili-mac. I used medium egg noodles, cooked and added to browned bulk
> breakfast sausage. Crushed stewed tomatoes, a little beef broth, chili
> powder, cumin and salt. I wound up adding a few dashes of Tabasco. I
> needed to use the sausage as I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week,

and
> I needed to eat last night and today. It turned out very tasty. But
> definitely *not* chili

Hmmm...I make something similar...I call it chili "hash" 'cause it's a
"hash" of whatever I've got laying around....

Of course you need to have some sour cream to garnish it with - you didn't
forget *that*, did ya...??? ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Tony Walton

On 2004-06-17 06:09:11 +0100, Wayne > said:

> I offer here a *******ized variation on my mother's good ole Midwest-
> style chili

That sounds like chili after my own heart, Wayne - thanks for the recipe.

A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed tomatoes",
and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I suspect it would -
I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in a slow cooker and,
in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks arse).

--
Tony

Wayne

Tony Walton > wrote in
:

> On 2004-06-17 06:09:11 +0100, Wayne > said:
>
>> I offer here a *******ized variation on my mother's good ole Midwest-
>> style chili

> That sounds like chili after my own heart, Wayne - thanks for the
> recipe.
>
> A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
> tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
> suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in
> a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks
> arse).

S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with the
regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your area. The
regular type could be substituted if you can't find the Mexican-style.
I think it would only make a small difference.

This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the recipe
steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering should be at
least as good if not better.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Tony Walton

On 2004-06-21 01:59:49 +0100, Wayne > said:

> Tony Walton > wrote in
> :
>>
>> A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
>> tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
>> suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in
>> a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks
>> arse).

> S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with the
> regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your area.

I doubt it - my area is some three thousand miles from the nearest
place you could buy S&W Brand (whatever that may be!), even assuming
it's on sale in the Eastern US! I'm in London, England.

Presumably the "styled" canned tomatoes are flavoured with herbs or
spices? What flavour are the Mexican ones?

> The
> regular type could be substituted if you can't find the Mexican-style.
> I think it would only make a small difference.

Very probably - I'll likely just use standard canned tomatoes.

> This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the recipe
> steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering should be at
> least as good if not better.

I'm looking forward to this now...

--
Tony

Arri London

Tony Walton wrote:

> On 2004-06-21 01:59:49 +0100, Wayne > said:
>
> > Tony Walton > wrote in
> > :
> >>
> >> A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
> >> tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
> >> suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in
> >> a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks
> >> arse).

> > S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with the
> > regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your area.

> I doubt it - my area is some three thousand miles from the nearest
> place you could buy S&W Brand (whatever that may be!), even assuming
> it's on sale in the Eastern US! I'm in London, England.

Greetings Tony from an ex-Londoner. No you won't be able to buy the
'Mexican' type tomatoes locally.

> Presumably the "styled" canned tomatoes are flavoured with herbs or
> spices? What flavour are the Mexican ones?

The Mexican style (Rotel is another brand) contain hot green chiles, so
you can use jalapenos or else any of the hot green sorts found in the
Bengali or Chinese markets. Add a little minced onion, salt, garlic,
ground cumin and a little oregano and it will make a workable
substitute. Or if you have any of the Schwartz 'chili' powder on hand,
could try adding that to tinned tomatoes and see if you like the result.
Won't be quite the same of course.

> > The
> > regular type could be substituted if you can't find the Mexican-style.
> > I think it would only make a small difference.

> Very probably - I'll likely just use standard canned tomatoes.

Just add the spices separately.

> > This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the recipe
> > steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering should be at
> > least as good if not better.

> I'm looking forward to this now...
>
> --
> Tony

Wayne

Tony Walton > wrote in news:cb78fd$m2d$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

> On 2004-06-21 01:59:49 +0100, Wayne > said:
>
>> Tony Walton > wrote in
>> :
>>>
>>> A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
>>> tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
>>> suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in
>>> a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks
>>> arse).

>> S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with the
>> regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your area.

> I doubt it - my area is some three thousand miles from the nearest
> place you could buy S&W Brand (whatever that may be!), even assuming
> it's on sale in the Eastern US! I'm in London, England.
>
> Presumably the "styled" canned tomatoes are flavoured with herbs or
> spices? What flavour are the Mexican ones?
>
>> The
>> regular type could be substituted if you can't find the Mexican-style.
>> I think it would only make a small difference.

> Very probably - I'll likely just use standard canned tomatoes.
>
>> This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the recipe
>> steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering should be at
>> least as good if not better.

> I'm looking forward to this now...

Tony, Arri London gave you as good an answer to your question as is
possible. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that you weren't in the US, but
you do live in my favorite in my favorite country!

I would follow Arri's advice, and please do report back as to how you like
it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
-L. :

Wayne > wrote in message >...
> Tony Walton > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 2004-06-17 06:09:11 +0100, Wayne > said:
> >
> >> I offer here a *******ized variation on my mother's good ole Midwest-
> >> style chili

> > That sounds like chili after my own heart, Wayne - thanks for the
> > recipe.
> >
> > A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
> > tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
> > suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours in
> > a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it kicks
> > arse).
> >

> S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with the
> regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your area. The
> regular type could be substituted if you can't find the Mexican-style.
> I think it would only make a small difference.
>
> This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the recipe
> steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering should be at
> least as good if not better.

Comig a little late to this but...

Funny, I have never had luck with chili in a crock pot. I
brown/caramelize the goodies first, but for some reason I find my
chili has to "breathe" and reduce in order to taste right.

Personally, I don't like chili unless it has tomatoes, beans and all
the veggies. My DH who spent a substantial time in Texas disagrees.
I call his chili "hot meat in a pot" because that's pretty much
what it is.

And I agree - I think the chocolate should be reserved for mole with
certain mexican dishes - but no place near the chili pot. <shudder>

-L.
Wayne

(-L. wrote in
om:

> Wayne > wrote in message
>> Tony Walton > wrote in
>> :

>> > That sounds like chili after my own heart, Wayne - thanks for the
>> > recipe.
>> >
>> > A couple of questions though, what are "Mexican-style stewed
>> > tomatoes", and do you think this would work in a slow cooker (I
>> > suspect it would - I made a chili and simmered it for about 9 hours
>> > in a slow cooker and, in the words of a friend who tried it, it
>> > kicks arse).
>> >

>> S&W Brand makes a "Mexican-Style" and an "Italian-style", along with
>> the regular stewed tomatoes. Hopefully you will find it in your
>> area. The regular type could be substituted if you can't find the
>> Mexican-style. I think it would only make a small difference.
>>
>> This should work well in a slow cooker. I would follow all the
>> recipe steps up to the final simmering. The long slow simmering
>> should be at least as good if not better.

> Comig a little late to this but...
>
> Funny, I have never had luck with chili in a crock pot. I
> brown/caramelize the goodies first, but for some reason I find my
> chili has to "breathe" and reduce in order to taste right.

As the OP, I confess that I haven't personally made this recipe in a
crock pot and cannot vouch for it tasting like the way I normally make it
in a dutch oven on the stovetop. However, I do cover it when cooking.
You'll note that the recipe actually has very little actual liquid in it,
so it doesn't really need to reduce for the taste. In fact, if I didn't
cover it, the bottom tends to scorch. It does need to cook long enough,
however, to taste right.

> Personally, I don't like chili unless it has tomatoes, beans and all
> the veggies. My DH who spent a substantial time in Texas disagrees.
> I call his chili "hot meat in a pot" because that's pretty much
> what it is.

I like the "hot meat in a pot" too, but I can never quite equate that
with what I make as chili. :-)

> And I agree - I think the chocolate should be reserved for mole with
> certain mexican dishes - but no place near the chili pot. <shudder>
>
> -L.

I love a good mole also, but that chocolate never gets in my pot of
chili!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Tony Walton

On 2004-06-21 23:56:04 +0100, Arri London > said:

> Greetings Tony from an ex-Londoner. No you won't be able to buy the
> 'Mexican' type tomatoes locally.
>>
>> Presumably the "styled" canned tomatoes are flavoured with herbs or
>> spices? What flavour are the Mexican ones?

> The Mexican style (Rotel is another brand) contain hot green chiles,

(snip)

Sorted! Cheers, diamond geezer (and all that old Cockney palaver).

--
Tony

Tony Walton

On 2004-06-22 04:44:03 +0100, Wayne > said:

> Tony, Arri London gave you as good an answer to your question as is
> possible. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that you weren't in the US,
> but you do live in my favorite in my favorite country!
>
> I would follow Arri's advice, and please do report back as to how you like it.

I will indeed.

--
Tony

Ms Leebee

Tony Walton wrote:
> Arri London > said:
>
>> Greetings Tony from an ex-Londoner. No you won't be able to buy the
>> 'Mexican' type tomatoes locally.
>>>
>>> Presumably the "styled" canned tomatoes are flavoured with herbs or
>>> spices? What flavour are the Mexican ones?

>> The Mexican style (Rotel is another brand) contain hot green chiles,
>> (snip)

> Sorted! Cheers, diamond geezer (and all that old Cockney palaver).

The Piccadilly palare
Was just silly slang
Between me and the boys in my gang ..