LeftSpin

Default Is my copper pan oven safe?

I have a Mauviel copper sauté pan. It is 2.5mm thick, stainless steel
lining, and has cast iron handles (yes, mine has two handles, the second one
is a helper handle).

Is this pan oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit? The copper won't melt
(nearly 2000 degrees for that to happen). But I was wondering if the handles
have some kind of coating to keep them from rusting that may burn at those
temperatures. Maybe it is only good to 400 degrees?

Thanks

Sheldon

LeftSpin wrote:
> I have a Mauviel copper saut=E9 pan. It is 2.5mm thick, stainless steel
> lining, and has cast iron handles (yes, mine has two handles, the second =

one
> is a helper handle).
>
> Is this pan oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit? The copper won't melt
> (nearly 2000 degrees for that to happen). But I was wondering if the hand=

les
> have some kind of coating to keep them from rusting that may burn at those
> temperatures. Maybe it is only good to 400 degrees?

Those are expensive pans, my initial reaction is to say no... it would
never occur to me to place a $250 pan in a 500=BA oven... can't you find
something cheaper for oven use, cast iron?... certainly won't burn,
won't melt either, but very well may warp. Their website is mute on
oven use... maybe you should contact the manufacturer. Their website
sucks but here ya go...

http://mauviel.com/gb/prod.htm

Contact page: http://mauviel.com/gb/renc.htm

email he

Sheldon

LeftSpin

Here's what the mfg said:

Thank you for your mail.
Yes, you can put our copper cookware in oven. There is no problem at all,
even with the cast iron handles.

I stay at your disposal.

Best Regards,

Emmanuel Carpi
MAUVIEL S.A.

Personally I'm still a little leary.

Sheldon

LeftSpin wrote:
> Here's what the mfg said:
>
> Thank you for your mail.
> Yes, you can put our copper cookware in oven. There is no problem at all,
> even with the cast iron handles.
>
> I stay at your disposal.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Emmanuel Carpi
> MAUVIEL S.A.
>

> Personally I'm still a little leary.

I don't like that answer (sounds more like they're saying nothing will
happen to your oven, says nothing regarding the pan), especially since
they don't mention using their pans in an oven at their website or in
their warranty.

I wouldn't use those pans in an oven, especially not at those high
temperatures, and still don't know why you'd even consider it. Plus
you don't say what you'll be cooking in that pan, could make a big
difference.

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski

"LeftSpin" > wrote in message
> Here's what the mfg said:
>
> Thank you for your mail.
> Yes, you can put our copper cookware in oven. There is no problem at all,
> even with the cast iron handles.
>
> I stay at your disposal.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Emmanuel Carpi
> MAUVIEL S.A.
>

> Personally I'm still a little leary.

Leary of what? The melting point of copper is 1083C or 1981F the tin
coating is 273C or 523F. With something in the pan it will not reach the
tin melting stage and if it reaches the copper melting stage the fire
department will be there to cool it down. Mr. Carpi knows what is good for
his product.

Seismo Malm

In article >,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "LeftSpin" > wrote in message
>> Here's what the mfg said:
>>
>> Thank you for your mail.
>> Yes, you can put our copper cookware in oven. There is no problem at all,
>> even with the cast iron handles.
>>
>> I stay at your disposal.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Emmanuel Carpi
>> MAUVIEL S.A.
>>

>> Personally I'm still a little leary.

> Leary of what? The melting point of copper is 1083C or 1981F the tin
> coating is 273C or 523F. With something in the pan it will not reach the
> tin melting stage and if it reaches the copper melting stage the fire
> department will be there to cool it down. Mr. Carpi knows what is good for
> his product.

I have a few mauviel pieces and my saute pan goes to oven very regularly
(not as often as pommes anna pan ...). Was one of the reasons purchasing
them (over plastic handle ones). Haven't used high heat in the oven,
though.

--
seismo malm | sfnet 20 vuotta -bileet http://liw.iki.fi/liw/cgi/20v.cgi

Old copper pan koko General Cooking 35 10-06-2015 10:00 PM
Bakelite -- oven safe? jacqui{JB} General Cooking 6 22-12-2005 10:17 PM
Cuisinart Copper D.Currie General Cooking 9 07-12-2005 11:51 PM
Heating Element Safe After Small Oven Fire Swann General Cooking 5 02-10-2004 05:09 AM
Oven safe bowl The Wolf General Cooking 7 23-01-2004 01:55 PM