jmcquown

Default Menudo: Add cheese?

Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
scratch.

Please don't tell me to drive 30 miles to a Mexican market to look for tripe
because even before gas price hikes I wouldn't drive 30 miles just to pick
up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
cheese?

Jill

notbob

On 2005-09-28, jmcquown > wrote:

> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
> cheese?

Oh Hell no!!

Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
(required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).

nb
Bob Terwilliger

Jill wrote:

> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
> scratch.

Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be some
local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?

> I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
> cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to
> think of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo
> lovers add cheese?

I like menudo too. I haven't tried it with cheese, but it sounds good to me,
especially if you also have homemade tortilla chips and a squeeze of lime
juice.

Bob

Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
> scratch.

You're lucky. I tried that stuff once. The broth and hominy was good, but the
tripe was disgusting.

jmcquown

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
>> scratch.
>>

> You're lucky. I tried that stuff once. The broth and hominy was good,
> but the tripe was disgusting.

LOL I probably like tripe not because of menudo but because tripe and the
'lights" are common in Scottish cooking. Not easy to find in the U.S.,
though, and I don't seek them out. My mom won't admit it but I suspect my
grandmother put tripe in her wonderful lamb stew with barley.

Jill

pablo

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-09-28, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
>> cheese?

> Oh Hell no!!
>
> Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
> (required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).

What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.

Jill - you don't have any Hispanic markets near you? Here in Metro Daytwah,
the Barrio is the place to get all that kind of stuff. The sterile, white,
suburban grocery stores where we live would never carry anything like that.
(Although they all seem to have lobster torture tanks.)

Pablo

notbob

On 2005-09-28, pablo > wrote:

> What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.

Oooh... sounds good. I'll try that next time.

nb
jmcquown

pablo wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2005-09-28, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo
>>> lovers add cheese?

>> Oh Hell no!!
>>
>> Menudo and pozole peripherals include oregano/lime/jalapenos
>> (required) and shredded cabbage and tortilla chips (opt).
>>

> What he said. And maybe some sliced radishes.
>
> Jill - you don't have any Hispanic markets near you? Here in Metro
> Daytwah, the Barrio is the place to get all that kind of stuff. The
> sterile, white, suburban grocery stores where we live would never
> carry anything like that. (Although they all seem to have lobster
> torture tanks.)
>
> Pablo

Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
question. Please don't gun me down for asking <G>

Jill

Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:14:52 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

> Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
> there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
> find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
> comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
> question. Please don't gun me down for asking <G>

When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a few, and
there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you. No guarantee
they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a sensible place to look.
They can also be interesting places just to poke around to see what other
things are available.

Ariane
zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:
> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
> scratch.
>
> Please don't tell me to drive 30 miles to a Mexican market to look for tripe
> because even before gas price hikes I wouldn't drive 30 miles just to pick
> up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
> cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
> cheese?
>
> Jill

I had some canned pazole for the first time Sunday. I think that's the
same thing as menudo without the tripe. I added some chili powder and a
bunch of black pepper to it when I heated it up because it wasn't quite
spicy enough.

I wouldn't add cheese. I would eat cheese as an *accompaniment*, along
with the warm tortillas.

Someone else mentioned adding shredded cabbage and jalapenos. I like
that idea.

Bob

jmcquown

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
>> scratch.
>>
>> Please don't tell me to drive 30 miles to a Mexican market to look
>> for tripe because even before gas price hikes I wouldn't drive 30
>> miles just to pick up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned
>> menudo. I love spicy food and I love soup. I'm wondering whether
>> it's "kosher" (ha! how we do integrate some phrases into our speech)
>> to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca cheese on top of this soup. Would it
>> be considered heresy? (Come to think of it, would I care if it's
>> heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add cheese?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I had some canned pazole for the first time Sunday. I think that's
> the
> same thing as menudo without the tripe. I added some chili powder
> and a bunch of black pepper to it when I heated it up because it
> wasn't quite
> spicy enough.
>
> I wouldn't add cheese. I would eat cheese as an *accompaniment*,
> along
> with the warm tortillas.
>
> Someone else mentioned adding shredded cabbage and jalapenos. I like
> that idea.
>
> Bob

The menudo I bought was quite spicy. When I opened the can I skimmed off
the congealed fat on the top and added some dried basil and a little garlic
and heated it up. It was quite tasty. You are right though, the cheese
would be best on the side. It was just an idle question.

Jill

jmcquown

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:14:52 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio
>> (if there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population).
>> I can't even find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants,
>> if that is any comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen.
>> Was simply an idle question. Please don't gun me down for asking <G>

> When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
> groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a
> few, and there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you.
> No guarantee they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a
> sensible place to look. They can also be interesting places just to
> poke around to see what other things are available.
>
> Ariane

Really? Where's a "super mercado" in Cordova? I've never run across one.

Jill

jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
>> scratch.

> Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
> Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
> California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be
> some local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?

They carry hog jowls, buckets of chitterlings (chitlins); stuff like that.
No tripe. Tripe is not a common item for southern cooking.

>> I've actually been enjoying canned menudo. I love spicy food
>> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
>> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or
>> Oaxaca cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy?
>> (Come to think of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of
>> you menudo lovers add cheese?

> I like menudo too. I haven't tried it with cheese, but it sounds good
> to me, especially if you also have homemade tortilla chips and a
> squeeze of lime juice.
>
> Bob

I'll try it with some tortilla chips and lime the next time Thanks, Bob.

Jill

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Jill wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, I can't find honeycomb tripe (nor any tripe) to make this from
> >> scratch.

> > Can't help you with that: When I worked at a grocery store (Publix) in
> > Florida, the meat department always carried tripe. Here in Northern
> > California, tripe is also available in supermarkets. There must be
> > some local prejudice against it, or the markets would carry it, right?
> >

> They carry hog jowls, buckets of chitterlings (chitlins); stuff like that.
> No tripe. Tripe is not a common item for southern cooking.

I can find tripe in any supermarket here in cesspool Florida, but then again
we have a HUGE Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican population, so I guess that's
to be expected. I can even find tripe at WalMart. (I don't know if it's
the specific kind you're looking for, though. - I wouldn't touch tripe with
my least favorite spatula.)

kili

Stark

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio (if
> there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population). I can't even
> find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants, if that is any
> comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen. Was simply an idle
> question. Please don't gun me down for asking <G>
>
> Jill

Next time you're in town, take a look along Summer Avenue. Not a barrio
yet but there are a couple of small stores and the Kroger has added to
their produce offerings--lots of strange chilis. They even had some
entertainment--guy juggling jicamas.

Nancy Young

"kilikini" > wrote

> I can find tripe in any supermarket here in cesspool Florida, but then
> again
> we have a HUGE Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican population, so I guess
> that's
> to be expected. I can even find tripe at WalMart. (I don't know if it's
> the specific kind you're looking for, though. - I wouldn't touch tripe
> with
> my least favorite spatula.)

Oh yeah? Well I wouldn't touch it with *someone else's* least favorite
spatula!

nancy

kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote
>
> > I can find tripe in any supermarket here in cesspool Florida, but then
> > again
> > we have a HUGE Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican population, so I guess
> > that's
> > to be expected. I can even find tripe at WalMart. (I don't know if

it's
> > the specific kind you're looking for, though. - I wouldn't touch tripe
> > with
> > my least favorite spatula.)

> Oh yeah? Well I wouldn't touch it with *someone else's* least favorite
> spatula!
>
> nancy

Okay, let me rephrase that then, I wouldn't touch my spatula to the spatula
you borrowed if it touched tripe. :~)

kili

jmcquown

Stark wrote:
> In article >, jmcquown
> > wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but I live in the country outside of the city and the barrio
>> (if there is such a thing in Memphis' primarily black population).
>> I can't even find lobster torture tanks, except in some restaurants,
>> if that is any comfort. My seafood is all frozen or pre-frozen.
>> Was simply an idle question. Please don't gun me down for asking <G>
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Next time you're in town, take a look along Summer Avenue. Not a
> barrio
> yet but there are a couple of small stores and the Kroger has added to
> their produce offerings--lots of strange chilis. They even had some
> entertainment--guy juggling jicamas.

LOL! I try to avoid Summer Avenue unless I'm going to Charlie's Meat Market
and the Market Basket (great produce!) Are they still showing the Summer
Avenue hookers on the news? I always found that amusing. They'd show the
mug shots and tell what their prices were and at what intersection they
could be found! News serving the Memphis community... uh huh!

Hard to believe the first Holiday Inn was located down that way. Kemmons
Wilson would spin in his grave at the hourly rates (if the place is even
still there).

Jill

Ariane Jenkins

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:18:19 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>> When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
>> groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a
>> few, and there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you.
>> No guarantee they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a
>> sensible place to look. They can also be interesting places just to
>> poke around to see what other things are available.
>>
>> Ariane

> Really? Where's a "super mercado" in Cordova? I've never run across one.

I didn't say it was in Cordova, I said it's less than 10 miles from
you. ;P A quick look in the phone book or a quick search using Yahoo's
online yellow pages should yield some results.

Ariane
D.A.Martinich

jmcquown wrote:> up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned
menudo. I love spicy food
> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
> cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
> cheese?

Out here in California, menudo has been around for a couple centuries.
It is considered a "restorative" for (fill in the blank) and is often
featured on weekends and served until early morning. Mostly what I have
seen as garnish are limes to squeeze, Mexican oregano leaves, and
chopped onions. Radishes and cabbage are fairly new around here, but
they go well. And, of course, jalapenos for the macho types. Cheese
won't hurt it but I'm not sure it will be much of an enhancer.

D.M.

D.A.Martinich

jmcquown wrote:> up one item. I've actually been enjoying canned
menudo. I love spicy food
> and I love soup. I'm wondering whether it's "kosher" (ha! how we do
> integrate some phrases into our speech) to grate some Asiago or Oaxaca
> cheese on top of this soup. Would it be considered heresy? (Come to think
> of it, would I care if it's heresy?) But do any of you menudo lovers add
> cheese?

Out here in California, menudo has been around for a couple centuries.
It is considered a "restorative" for (fill in the blank) and is often
featured on weekends and served until early morning. Mostly what I have
seen as garnish are limes to squeeze, Mexican oregano leaves, and
chopped onions. Radishes and cabbage are fairly new around here, but
they go well. And, of course, jalapenos for the macho types. Cheese
won't hurt it but I'm not sure it will be much of an enhancer.

D.M.

Stark

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> LOL! I try to avoid Summer Avenue unless I'm going to Charlie's Meat Market
> and the Market Basket (great produce!) Are they still showing the Summer
> Avenue hookers on the news? I always found that amusing. They'd show the
> mug shots and tell what their prices were and at what intersection they
> could be found! News serving the Memphis community... uh huh!
>
> Hard to believe the first Holiday Inn was located down that way. Kemmons
> Wilson would spin in his grave at the hourly rates (if the place is even
> still there).
>
> Jill

Hmmmmmm. Hookers? Thought they were abandoned prom-dates. Come to
think about it---nevermind.

Here's a rule of thumb on Summer: when you see the whatevers, you've
gone too far.

And down around too far was the Alamo Plaza, a quaintly-named tourist
court that predated Holiday Inns. The individual cabins looked like
adobe but were probably whitewashed Mississippi mud. It didn't have
hourly rates but even then the sheets were hot. Both the Alamo Plaza
and the Holiday Inn are long gone.
jmcquown

wrote:

> >> When Erik and I visited Memphis, we were struck by the number of
> >> groceries selling Hispanic foodstuffs. The Memphis area has quite a
> >> few, and there's at least one "super mercado" within 10 miles of you.
> >> No guarantee they'd have the honeycomb tripe, but it sounds like a
> >> sensible place to look. They can also be interesting places just to
> >> poke around to see what other things are available.
> >>
> >> Ariane

> > Really? Where's a "super mercado" in Cordova? I've never run across

one.

> I didn't say it was in Cordova, I said it's less than 10 miles from
> you. ;P A quick look in the phone book or a quick search using

Yahoo's
> online yellow pages should yield some results.
>
> Ariane

Good point, Ariane, although 10 miles in a couple of directions leads me
either further into Cordova, Germantown or Bartlett. And, you had Eric to
squire you around. There are some areas of Memphis (or any city, really)
where it's simply not a good idea for a woman to drive around by herself. I
do not mean that in any racial sense; it's simply a fact and true of most
cities. The majority of the people anywhere are *good*, honest people.
It's the ones who aren't you have to worry about. I might check with
Charlie's Meat Market on Summer to see if they can get tripe for me; even
that's getting into a sort of "iffy" area of town. I wouldn't have a
problem finding other "Mexican" ingredients like peppers, etc. at my regular
grocery store. Thanks

Jill

Ariane Jenkins

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:24:16 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

> Good point, Ariane, although 10 miles in a couple of directions leads me
> either further into Cordova, Germantown or Bartlett. And, you had Eric to
> squire you around. There are some areas of Memphis (or any city, really)
> where it's simply not a good idea for a woman to drive around by herself. I
> do not mean that in any racial sense; it's simply a fact and true of most
> cities. The majority of the people anywhere are *good*, honest people.
> It's the ones who aren't you have to worry about. I might check with
> Charlie's Meat Market on Summer to see if they can get tripe for me; even
> that's getting into a sort of "iffy" area of town. I wouldn't have a
> problem finding other "Mexican" ingredients like peppers, etc. at my regular
> grocery store. Thanks

Oh no, Erik doesn't squire me around. We live in the 21st century, not
the 19th.

I'm curious... Did you find the super mercado(s) in question? You
didn't mention it, so I'm wondering which ones in your area were in bad
neighborhoods. The one I looked up like it was a fairly busy street, and I
know we drove past some others that seemed perfectly fine to me. I don't
recall that we drove through ANY neighborhoods I would've been afraid to walk
through, actually. Of course, I'm not particularly timid about things like
that.

Good luck on the search for tripe. Asian markets might carry it too,
perhaps there are some in your area that are in better parts of town.

Ariane

menudo SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 35 17-02-2009 01:41 AM
Menudo jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-10-2008 11:15 PM
My best Menudo recipe chilichick General Cooking 15 01-06-2006 02:14 AM
Menudo RAS Recipes (moderated) 0 29-01-2006 08:16 PM
Menudo Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 22-05-2005 04:39 AM