FoodBanter.com

-   -   Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker fans out there? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/7092-zojirushi-induction-rice-cooker.html)

ChefJeff 16-06-2004 02:12 AM

Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker fans out there?

Hi all,

After a lifetime of making great rice and having found it easy to
make, I stumbled across "The Ultimate Rice Cooker" cookbook. The
recipes and meals that can be made in these machines sound so tasty,
that I bought the book before the rice cooker! I've just ordered a
version of neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, with the added feature of
cooking by induction. I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.

Best to you,
Jeff

maxine in ri 16-06-2004 02:33 PM

ChefJeff wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After a lifetime of making great rice and having found it easy to
> make, I stumbled across "The Ultimate Rice Cooker" cookbook. The
> recipes and meals that can be made in these machines sound so tasty,
> that I bought the book before the rice cooker! I've just ordered a
> version of neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, with the added feature of
> cooking by induction. I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
> success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.
>
> Best to you,
> Jeff

What sorts of things can you cook in a rice cooker? We picked one
up the other day, and found that golly-gee, it does cook rice<g>.
Can it cook other long-cooking foods (whole grains, beans, etc.) or
is it a timed thing?

maxine in ri

ChefJeff 16-06-2004 07:31 PM

maxine in ri > wrote in message >...
> ChefJeff wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After a lifetime of making great rice and having found it easy to
> > make, I stumbled across "The Ultimate Rice Cooker" cookbook. The
> > recipes and meals that can be made in these machines sound so tasty,
> > that I bought the book before the rice cooker! I've just ordered a
> > version of neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, with the added feature of
> > cooking by induction. I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
> > success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.
> >
> > Best to you,
> > Jeff

> What sorts of things can you cook in a rice cooker? We picked one
> up the other day, and found that golly-gee, it does cook rice<g>.
> Can it cook other long-cooking foods (whole grains, beans, etc.) or
> is it a timed thing?
>
> maxine in ri

According to the cookbook that I mentioned, you can cook every type of
whole grain, bean, polenta, grits, cereals, etc. in rice cookers. But
what really sounded good to me, were all sorts of one dish meals,
chilis, and soups---not to mention desserts. The list goes on and on.
Sounds a little too good to be true, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.
My cooker is arriving on Friday, and I'm pretty excited to try it (and
my new cookbook) out.
Jeff

D. Varner 16-06-2004 07:59 PM

Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker fans out there?

Cheff Jeff,
Do you have any vegetarian recipes that are easy to create?

Doug Freyburger 16-06-2004 08:22 PM

maxine in ri wrote:
> ChefJeff wrote:
>
> > I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
> > success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.

> What sorts of things can you cook in a rice cooker?

Anything that can be steam until soft can be cooked in a rice
cooker. Heck, if you take it out before the click anything
that can be steamed until firm like most veggies can be cooked
in a rice cooker.

I wonder about stuff like pulled pork or the strands of beef
that end up in BBQ beef sandwiches.

Fondue pots - they aren't just for brocolli any more!

Peter Aitken 16-06-2004 08:25 PM

Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker fans out there?

"ChefJeff" > wrote in message
om...
> maxine in ri > wrote in message

> > ChefJeff wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After a lifetime of making great rice and having found it easy to
> > > make, I stumbled across "The Ultimate Rice Cooker" cookbook. The
> > > recipes and meals that can be made in these machines sound so tasty,
> > > that I bought the book before the rice cooker! I've just ordered a
> > > version of neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, with the added feature of
> > > cooking by induction. I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
> > > success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.
> > >
> > > Best to you,
> > > Jeff

> > What sorts of things can you cook in a rice cooker? We picked one
> > up the other day, and found that golly-gee, it does cook rice<g>.
> > Can it cook other long-cooking foods (whole grains, beans, etc.) or
> > is it a timed thing?
> >
> > maxine in ri

> According to the cookbook that I mentioned, you can cook every type of
> whole grain, bean, polenta, grits, cereals, etc. in rice cookers. But
> what really sounded good to me, were all sorts of one dish meals,
> chilis, and soups---not to mention desserts. The list goes on and on.
> Sounds a little too good to be true, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.
> My cooker is arriving on Friday, and I'm pretty excited to try it (and
> my new cookbook) out.
> Jeff

Gadget cookbooks sometimes get overenthusiastic about what you can and
cannot do. Remember all the microwave cookbooks that were full of awful
recipes? A basic rice cooker works by cooking the food until the liquid is
essentially gone - it senses this and switches from cook mode to warm mode.
I imagine that some of the fancier ones have different cycles for other
foods, but if you try to use it as a general purpose cooker you will
probably be disappointed.

--
Peter Aitken

Neil Williams 17-06-2004 05:24 AM

Zojirushi Induction Rice Cooker fans out there?

"ChefJeff" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi all,
>
> After a lifetime of making great rice and having found it easy to
> make, I stumbled across "The Ultimate Rice Cooker" cookbook. The
> recipes and meals that can be made in these machines sound so tasty,
> that I bought the book before the rice cooker! I've just ordered a
> version of neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker, with the added feature of
> cooking by induction. I'm curious to know if anyone out there has had
> success or special recipes using this interesting appliance.

I have the Zoji fuzzy logic rice cooker and it works quite well,
although if you add too much water you get liquid coming out
the steam spout, which can gunk up.

What's funny is that my parents refuse to believe that you can
leave the rice in there to keep warm for a day or two. They
always immediately unplug it after cooking when they're visiting.
Then sometimes they forget to put the rice in the fridge and we
have to throw it away. We've been going through this with
them for over 10 years now. Just a couple weeks ago my
mother was making fun of me for believing that the rice would
stay fresh and mold-free in the cooker when left in the warming
mode.

--Neil