Andy

Default Housewarming gift idea?

For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.

A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
C. Henckel professional chef knife

All are in the $70-$100 price range.

I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
cheap-o plastic board.

Is kitchen stuff appropriate?

Andy
Peter Aitken

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>
> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>
> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>
> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
> cheap-o plastic board.
>
> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?
>
> Andy

If you know they enjoy cooking and eating, certainly. The fact is however
that some people just don't care much about the kitchen. I would not get the
flatware - people like to select their own.

--
Peter Aitken

Puester

Andy wrote:
> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>
> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>
> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>
> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
> cheap-o plastic board.
>
> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?
>
> Andy

Yes, it's appropriate, but make sure they have a large enough
counter to use the board on, and space enough to store it.
Many apartments are short on kitchen storage space.

gloria p
Andy

Puester wrote:

> Yes, it's appropriate, but make sure they have a large enough
> counter to use the board on, and space enough to store it.
> Many apartments are short on kitchen storage space.
>
> gloria p

Thanks.

They finally have lots of counter space, so much so that they can keep
it on the counter full time and it won't be in the way.

The real beauty of the place is that after years, their two kids each
have their own bedrooms! ))

Andy
Dave Smith

Andy wrote:

> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>
> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>
> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>
> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
> cheap-o plastic board.

Maybe they prefer the plastic cutting board. I have several of them and
prefer them to wood.

> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?

I think so. I have seen too many of those gift shop type house warming
presents and find them to be totally useless.

Andy

Dog3 wrote:

> Steer clear of the flatware, you may pick out a pattern they do not
> like. The cutting board is okay but make sure the size is right and
> they have a place to store it. Kitchen stuff is very appropriate if
> your friends are foodies. Otherwise pick up a good bottle of wine, a
> corkscrew and 2 monogrammed wine glasses
>
> Michael

Yeah... I figured the flatware is a personal thing. They are foodies so
the board will see use.

I'd prefer not to gift something that "goes down the drain" like wine.
The thought fades too fast.

Pop also told me never to gift something that implies work, but cooking
is different, somehow.

Andy
~patches~

Andy wrote:

> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>
> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>
> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>
> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
> cheap-o plastic board.
>
> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?
>
> Andy

It depends. Are they into cooking? If they are simply cooking to get
by and don't have a real interest in fine tuning their skills, perhaps
another gift might be in order. If they are in that cooking to get by
thing, a crockpot or pressure cooker might be appreciated. I'd tailor
the gift to match their likes and lifestyle. If you want to buy me any
of the above though, I wouldn't say no
Sheldon

Andy wrote:
> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>
> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>
> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>
> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
> cheap-o plastic board.
>
> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?

If you need to ask then that means you haven't a clue what they would
appreciate. If they're using a plastic board that's probably what they
prefer, not everyone wants the responsibility of caring for wood, and
yours is a very large board, will rarely get used, if ever.... I have a
Boos board that size, I maybe used it three times, in twenty five
years. And a lot of folks consider a gift of cutlery an insult, kinda
like a voodoo doll death threat.

And anyway, they're moving to an apartment, not to their own house. I
think a bottle of wine, a box of candy, or some such are appropriate.
I'd buy them a nice potted plant... were it their own house I'd give a
gift certficate from a local nurery for a nice tree.

Sheldon

Andy

Sheldon wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> For a good friend and his family in their new apartment.
>>
>> A. Boos 24"x18"x1.5 hardwood cutting board
>> B. Chiaro 65 pc. Henckel flatware
>> C. Henckel professional chef knife
>>
>> All are in the $70-$100 price range.
>>
>> I'm leaning toward the cutting board just because I know they have a
>> cheap-o plastic board.
>>
>> Is kitchen stuff appropriate?

> If you need to ask then that means you haven't a clue what they would
> appreciate.

They'd appreciate an air conditioner but they can't install a window air
conditioner and the portables are a couple hundred bucks.

> If they're using a plastic board that's probably what they
> prefer

Not true. They'd love one, it's just something they wouldn't think to
buy when there are other important things to spend their money on. This
I know for a fact.

> And anyway, they're moving to an apartment, not to their own house. I
> think a bottle of wine, a box of candy, or some such are appropriate.
> I'd buy them a nice potted plant... were it their own house I'd give a
> gift certficate from a local nurery for a nice tree.

Well you go for the up in smoke gifts. That's not my style. And a gift
certificate really just says "I couldn't be bothered with a gift from
the heart." Buying a nice gift with an exchange promise says so much
more, imho.

Andy
pennyaline

Andy wrote:
> Well you go for the up in smoke gifts. That's not my style. And a gift
> certificate really just says "I couldn't be bothered with a gift from
> the heart." Buying a nice gift with an exchange promise says so much
> more, imho.

Horse shit. Purchasing a gift certificate means that you paid attention
to a person's likes and dislikes then chose the shopping site you think
would suit their tastes well, without presuming to know what they want.
What the hell is wrong with that?

Sheldon

Cheap *******!

> > If they're using a plastic board that's probably what they
> > prefer

> Not true. They'd love one, it's just something they wouldn't think to
> buy when there are other important things to spend their money on. This
> I know for a fact.

If you know with such certainty then why are you asking us... are you
so week minded that you need permission.

> > I'd buy them a nice potted plant... were it their own house I'd give a
> > gift certficate from a local nurery for a nice tree.

> Well you go for the up in smoke gifts. That's not my style. And a gift
> certificate really just says "I couldn't be bothered with a gift from
> the heart." Buying a nice gift with an exchange promise says so much
> more, imho.

How is a potted plant (perhaps a lovely bonzai ginkgo in traditional
pot),
or a gift certificate for a tree not be something well thought out
(circumstances are such that a person needs to choose a tree carefully,
themslves), certainly not up in smoke gifts, a potted plant can live
hundreds of years, a tree thousands... and they're not cheap either. I
wish someone would buy me a nice tree, I buy trees often, usually cost
anywhere from $300-$1,000, plus the cost of professional planting,
another $200-$300, and up. Even a $100 tree, a size one can plant
themself, is a lovely gift... can definitely easily outlive everyone on
the planet today, will be remembered every day, watching it grow,
changing through the seasons, watching it blossom, raking it's leaves,
watching a family of birds call it home, a squirrel eating your nuts...
oops, you have no nuts, but you ARE nuts! LOL

Seems like you're more interested in giving things that you'd like for
yourself, are you so deprived. If you're so controling about what
people do with a gift you should never give any.... for all you know a
wooden board can end up as kindling (up in smoke). Like I said, I have
that exact board, it's too friggin' heavy and cumbersome to actually
use, doesn't even fit in the kitchen sink, gotta clean it in the
bathtub. May all your gifts be butt ugly knick knacks that the giftors
come often to see are still displayed. Andy, you are some sick piece
of work, with the IQ of a wooden board... what is so special about some
fercockta slab of wood that will mostly hide in the rear of a dark
closet... haven't even looked at mine in over a year. Next I actually
use it, someone admires it I'll ofer it to them. Hey, just
remembered... about two years ago I bought myself a Boos board 16 x 10
x 1, I never used it, in fact it's still sealed in its original
cellophane wrapper.. was on sale for $10 when I bought a half dozen
plastic boards, I much prefer plastic these days now that I use a
dishwasher.

Sheldon Beechnut

Gabby

"Andy" <q> wrote in message

> Yeah... I figured the flatware is a personal thing.

I agree with the other posters, flatware is a taste thing and I wouldn't
presume to buy that for anyone.

> They are foodies so
> the board will see use.

The board sounds like a great idea.

About the chef's knife: any foodie would kill for a good one. But most
people like to pick their own based on how it feels in their hand. Would
they be able to exchange it?

> I'd prefer not to gift something that "goes down the drain" like wine.
> The thought fades too fast.

I think that's why the poster mentioned adding a set of monogrammed wine
glasses (I'd also add a really good corkscrew) to the package.

> Pop also told me never to gift something that implies work, but cooking
> is different, somehow.

I don't think any foodies would resent cooking related gifts.

Gabby

Andy

pennyaline wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> Well you go for the up in smoke gifts. That's not my style. And a

gift
>> certificate really just says "I couldn't be bothered with a gift from
>> the heart." Buying a nice gift with an exchange promise says so much
>> more, imho.

> Horse shit. Purchasing a gift certificate means that you paid

attention
> to a person's likes and dislikes then chose the shopping site you

think
> would suit their tastes well, without presuming to know what they

want.
> What the hell is wrong with that?

Gift certificates are great for giving to kids. For a housewarming gift
for someone I've known for 25 years, a gift certificate is not suitable.
Again, imho.

Andy
Andy

Sheldon wrote:

>> > If you need to ask then that means you haven't a clue what they

would
>> > appreciate.

>> They'd appreciate an air conditioner but they can't install a window

air
>> conditioner and the portables are a couple hundred bucks.

> Cheap *******!

And you are no doubt God's gift to philanthropy?

Fidiot!

Andy
-L.

Andy wrote:

> would
> >>
> >> They'd appreciate an air conditioner but they can't install a window

> air
> >> conditioner and the portables are a couple hundred bucks.

> > Cheap *******!

> And you are no doubt God's gift to philanthropy?
>
> Fidiot!
>
> Andy

Oh, ignore Sheldon. If you say the sky is blue he'll argue it's red
and insult your intelligence, to boot!

Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
with it.

This sounds silly but one of my favorite wedding gifts was a set of
(inexpensive) figural his and her scrub brushes - for vegetables and
whatnot. I loved those things. Finally had to throw away the "her" a
couple weeks ago. It's wonderful when something so inexpensive can
make someone else so happy.

-L.

Andy

-L. wrote:

> Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
> with it.

Is the meaning of the penny related to a wedding gift? Explain?

> This sounds silly but one of my favorite wedding gifts was a set of
> (inexpensive) figural his and her scrub brushes - for vegetables and
> whatnot. I loved those things. Finally had to throw away the "her" a
> couple weeks ago. It's wonderful when something so inexpensive can
> make someone else so happy.
>
> -L.

They sound cute. Maybe you can find another set online?!!

Andy
Gabby

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> -L. wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
>> with it.

> Is the meaning of the penny related to a wedding gift? Explain?

I've never heard about giving a penny WITH a knife, but I've heard about
receiving a penny from someone to whom you've given a knife -- something
about buying the knife so that the friendship is not severed.

Gabby

Margaret Suran

Andy wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>

>>Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
>>with it.

> Is the meaning of the penny related to a wedding gift? Explain?

You cannot "give" someone a knife nor pin nor scissors nor any other
sharp item as a gift, as it could possibly cut or puncture or hurt
your friendship. You may only "sell" it and the enclosed penny will
be the right amount to satisfy this transaction. )
Andy

Gabby wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> -L. wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
>>> with it.

>> Is the meaning of the penny related to a wedding gift? Explain?

> I've never heard about giving a penny WITH a knife, but I've heard

about
> receiving a penny from someone to whom you've given a knife --

something
> about buying the knife so that the friendship is not severed.
>
> Gabby

Live and learn!

Thanks,

Andy
Margaret Suran

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> -L. wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I'd go for the knife. Don't forget to incluide a penny
>>> with it.

>> Is the meaning of the penny related to a wedding gift? Explain?
>>

> You cannot "give" someone a knife nor pin nor scissors nor any other
> sharp item as a gift, as it could possibly cut or puncture or hurt your
> friendship. You may only "sell" it and the enclosed penny will be the
> right amount to satisfy this transaction. )

I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

Andy

Margaret Suran wrote:

> I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
> Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

???

I'm going with the cutting board!!! Thanks for helping make up my mind.

Andy
Andy

Andy wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
>> Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

> ???

I GET IT!!! Gift him a penny and the knife so he doesn't go into debt.
Geez... LOL!

Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>>> I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
>>> Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

>> ???

> I GET IT!!! Gift him a penny and the knife so he doesn't go into debt.
> Geez... LOL!

NO! That's the reason for the dollar in the wallet. They pay you for
the knife so the sharp gift doesn't cut the friendship. You put in the
penny in case they don't happen to have one with them.

nancy

Margaret Suran

Andy wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>

>>Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>>>I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
>>>Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

>>???

> I GET IT!!! Gift him a penny and the knife so he doesn't go into debt.
> Geez... LOL!

no, you do not really "get it". When you go to visit someone and hand
him/her something and explain that it is not an outright gift, but
something that has to be bought, exchanged for money, the person is
not always prepared with a coin in her/his hand. Especially when
there are other guest at the door. But, if you present the dangerous
article and say "I have something for you, but you have to buy it.
There is a penny in the package, I just gave it to you, so it is yours
(the penny), free and clear", the person now has the required money to
buy the item from you. At other times, you do not have to give the
penny, but you have to ask for some money. If you are lucky, the
person may not have a penny and will give you a nickel!!!!

Recently, I gave a friend a little pair of blunt pocket scissors, for
cutting coupons when out shopping. I asked her to buy it from me.
She asked me how much I wanted and I said "One Cent". She paid up and
thought that it was a real bargain. She also thought that I am nuts.
I was shocked that she didn't know about scissors, knives and
friendships. (

I suppose that you are not superstitious. Neither am I, knock on
wood! )
Andy

Nancy Young wrote:

>> I GET IT!!! Gift him a penny and the knife so he doesn't go into

debt.
>> Geez... LOL!

> NO! That's the reason for the dollar in the wallet. They pay you for
> the knife so the sharp gift doesn't cut the friendship. You put in

the
> penny in case they don't happen to have one with them.
>
> nancy

nancy,

I got it right!???

I give him a penny with the knife so when I say the knife costs a penny,
he can give it back as payment, rather than saying "I owe you a penny,"
i.e., debt.

So a knife cost a penny AND one for your thoughts!

So we're even???

Andy

~patches~

Andy wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>

>>Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>>>I meant to say Just In Case The Person To Whom You Give The Gift Does
>>>Not Have A Penny Of Her/His Own At The Moment. Sorry.

>>???

> I GET IT!!! Gift him a penny and the knife so he doesn't go into debt.
> Geez... LOL!

Nope, it's so you don't sever (cut) the friendship
~patches~

Margaret Suran wrote:

<snip>
> I suppose that you are not superstitious. Neither am I, knock on wood!
> )

I suppose you don't toss a pinch of salt over your shoulder for good
luck either
cathyxyz

Andy wrote:

> I'm going with the cutting board!!! Thanks for helping make up my mind.
>

> Andy

Getting in a bit late here, but I think that's a good choice too. We
have 3 cutting boards (all wood) - one for meat, one for veggies and the
other one for bread. Very useful gift, so I am sure they will like it.
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Sheldon

-L. wrote:
> Andy wrote:

> > would

> > air
> > >
> > > Cheap *******!

> > And you are no doubt God's gift to philanthropy?
> >
> > Fidiot!
> >
> > Andy

> Oh, ignore Sheldon. If you say the sky is blue he'll argue it's red
> and insult your intelligence, to boot!

You have no intelligence

> Personally, I'd go for the knife.

A low class **** would.

Sheldon

Dave Smith

cathyxyz wrote:

> Getting in a bit late here, but I think that's a good choice too. We
> have 3 cutting boards (all wood) - one for meat, one for veggies and the
> other one for bread. Very useful gift, so I am sure they will like it.

Do you mean that you use each of those exclusively for meat, veggies and
bread? I have one plastic one that I like to use for meat because it has a
groove around the outside to catch liquids, but that doesn't mean that I
can't use it for other things. I don't worry about cross contamination
because I always clean them after use and AFAIAC one that has been used for
meat will be as dangerous with other meats as it will be with veggies if not
cleaned after use.

I have a special board for bread. It is a wooden rack mounted in a wooden
tray that catches the crumbs.

cathyxyz

Dave Smith wrote:

> Do you mean that you use each of those exclusively for meat, veggies and
> bread? I have one plastic one that I like to use for meat because it has a
> groove around the outside to catch liquids, but that doesn't mean that I
> can't use it for other things. I don't worry about cross contamination
> because I always clean them after use and AFAIAC one that has been used for
> meat will be as dangerous with other meats as it will be with veggies if not
> cleaned after use.

Dave,

Of course we clean them after each use.....and nothing is stopping us
using them for other things.

The reason we have three boards is this:

We use one exclusively for meat - partly for "contamination" but more
for convenience and choice. DH usually cuts up the meat on "his" board,
while I am doing veggies or salad on the other one. I prefer "my" one
for veggies because it is a bit larger in area, if not as thick and
heavy as the "meat" board. Also, it just speeds things up a bit.
Otherwise I would have to wait until the meat was done, clean the board
and then do the veggies (or vice versa). This way, each of us just
cleans our board when we are done. Even if I am doing the cooking alone,
I still use the "meat" board for meat and the other for veggies as I
just prefer it that way. Then I just clean them both afterward.

> I have a special board for bread. It is a wooden rack mounted in a wooden
> tray that catches the crumbs.

And, like you, we have one board that we just use for bread (by either
of us)- because we prefer it. As for using plastic boards - that's also
just personal choice. I suppose if you have a dishwasher that would make
sense. However, IMHO, the plastic boards "score" easier than wood and
can be a bit of a problem to get all the muck out of the score marks.
Wooden boards can be "rubbed down" with sand paper, re-oiled and made
quite smooth again. Just my opinion.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)