Deacon

Default Burns

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:38:43 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Miche wrote:
>> In article >,

>>>What's suggested nowadays? It's not a subject I keep up on. Probably
>>>ought to look into it.

>> Cold [water or other liquid], preferably running, for at least 10
>> minutes.

>Why does the cold water have to be running? What's wrong with a
>pitcher of ice water? How about if it still hurts badly after 10 minutes?

Once the water is running it typically holds a constant temperature
(unless someone flushes a toilet etc.) ice water can be too cold,
causing the potential of tissue death. ice water can also warm up
above an effective cooling temperature.

You can do whatever it takes to relieve the pain, running water, ice
water, I treated a person that poured a gallon of milk on a burn as it
was all they had close, the recommeded treatment is cold running water
until the pain is relieved. There is discussion between 10 minutes
minimum or 20 minutes minimum but as long as you get pain relief and
stop the heating of the surrounding tissues the treatment is
effective.

Unfortunately there is a portion of the population that thinks if cold
water is good then ice water is better and if ice water is better then
ice is even more better but they fail to think far enough ahead to
realize that ice causes frostbite which can be worse than their
initial superficial burn.

>Pastorio
>
>> I can speak to the effectiveness of this treatment. No blisters, no
>> scar.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Lynne" > wrote in message
> Iburnt my finger in the frying pan and it hurts like mad. what will take
> the pain away?
>
> --
> Lynne x

Water Jel Burn Jel. It is available in 4 oz. bottles and also squeeze
packets. Keep some in the kitchen and a packet in the toolbox or any other
place that you may get a burn. Best stuff I've ever used.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Lou-Lou

Lynne wrote:
> Iburnt my finger in the frying pan and it hurts like mad. what will
> take the pain away?

I agree with the other aloe posters. It needs to be from the plant, though,
not the bottled stuff.

Big Brother is a chef. He had a terrible burn caused by serious stupidity.
Doc gave him Silvadine (sp?). The stuff is a wonder for burns. The only
hitch is that it's prescription. If you have a good doc and you tend to get
burns somewhat often--serious or minor--it might be a good option.

Lou-Lou in NC

Kswck

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Lynne Airhead" babbled:
> >
> >I burnt my finger in the frying pan and it hurts like mad. what will

take
> >the pain away?

> Either of your nether orifices will do. Idiot!

AOLer-figures.

PENMART01

spews:

>AOLer-figures.

What's so ****ing great about Optimum On Line, friggin' totally useless Lung
Guyland cable. duh

I had an Optimum On Line acct on Lung Guyland from the moment it was available
until the day I left... used it strictly for it's high speed access (even had
one of their silly little keyboards [a la webtv] but it wasn't worth a shit
otherwise so I continued using my AOL over it.... I do the same exact thing
where I live now, I pay Mid Hudson Cable for high speed access but I continue
to use AOL over it. Over the years I've tried them all, even a dumb freebie
library acct, even stupid Verizon DSL... compared to AOL they are all pikers,
ALL AOL WANNABEES! Only reason you, and *all* others, don't use AOL over your
cable for a measly extra $15/mo. is because you are afflicted with _CHRONIC
CHEAP ******* DISEASE_!

It's wierd to hear all the dumb ****s with their fercocktah rinky-dink obscure
ISPs knocking AOL, just because they each and every one of em can't resist
broadcasting how they are a *CHEAP ********.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

JimLane

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> JimLane > wrote:
>

>>Katra wrote:
>>
>>snip
>>

>>>And emu meat is delicious.
>>>

>>Sure is. Had some chargrilled skewers of emu and they were very good.
>>

>>jim

> How were they marinated?
> I like to use pineapple juice.
>
> K.

As far as I can recall, some pineapple juice and several other things.
This was "snack" food on a hotel's happy hour buffet.

jim
Katra

In article >,
JimLane > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > JimLane > wrote:
> >

> >>Katra wrote:
> >>
> >>snip

> >>Sure is. Had some chargrilled skewers of emu and they were very good.
> >>

> >>jim

> > How were they marinated?
> > I like to use pineapple juice.
> >
> > K.
> >

> As far as I can recall, some pineapple juice and several other things.
> This was "snack" food on a hotel's happy hour buffet.
>

> jim

Neat! :-)
I love to do Kebabs on the grill.
I've never done it with emu tho' as it's easy
to overcook it.

I generally roast the bird whole
in the BBQ with the hide on to keep it moist.

And no, I'm not kidding. An 8 to 10 month old emu
is still small enough to fit inside my smoker.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

PENMART01

>(byakee) writes:
>
>about 33 years ago, I got a nasty burn by backing into
>a propane stove; actually pulled a layer of skin away. At the hospital,
>they put a mustard pack on it.

Sounds like they were preparing to insert a weiner between your toasted buns.

>I don't remember if it helped the pain or

not.

If it didn't hurt you musta liked it.

Ahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Casey Wilson

We, my wife and I, have a few pots of Aloe (?Vera) plants here and
there. One is nearby the kitchen. I do all the cooking and, klutz that us
men are, will occasionaly get some part of my body, usually hands, mostly
the digits, scalded, grilled, roasted, fried, or in some way burned.
My immediate first aid is to remove whatever is feeling pain from
whatever is causing it including wiping off any oil or grease. (BTW, a slice
of bread works better there than a paper towel.) From there, I cut off a
stem of the Aloe close down by the trunk, lay it out on a piece of waxed
paper, and use the round handle from a wooden spoon to smoosh out about an
inch or two of the gooey stuff inside the Aloe stem -- more if the burned
area is larger than usual -- starting from the cut end.
I slather the gooey stuff over the burned area as thick as I can. It
ain't pretty, but in my case relief is nearly instantaneous! Then I go to
work pressing out the rest of the Aloe gel from the stalk to keep it at
hand. When I feel some discomfort on the burned area, I smear on some more
gel.
My worst case was a splash of boiling water across the entire front of
my left leg. By the time I got the Aloe spread on, I could feel the first
stages of true shock setting in. It took three stalks of Aloe for the first
application. The stuff the emergency room doctor smeared on didn't relieve
the pain nearly as well. When I got home a couple hours later, I washed his
stuff off and put Aloe on again -- felt lots better.
Keep in mind, I'm not talking about some drug store product that claims
to have Aloe, I'm talking about the raw stuff right out of the plant. The
thicker the better.
It worked on my wife's sunburn last summer, also.

Casey

Wayne

"Casey Wilson" > wrote in
:

> We, my wife and I, have a few pots of Aloe (?Vera) plants here
> and
> there. One is nearby the kitchen. I do all the cooking and, klutz that
> us men are, will occasionaly get some part of my body, usually hands,
> mostly the digits, scalded, grilled, roasted, fried, or in some way
> burned.
> My immediate first aid is to remove whatever is feeling pain from
> whatever is causing it including wiping off any oil or grease. (BTW, a
> slice of bread works better there than a paper towel.) From there, I
> cut off a stem of the Aloe close down by the trunk, lay it out on a
> piece of waxed paper, and use the round handle from a wooden spoon to
> smoosh out about an inch or two of the gooey stuff inside the Aloe
> stem -- more if the burned area is larger than usual -- starting from
> the cut end.
> I slather the gooey stuff over the burned area as thick as I can.
> It
> ain't pretty, but in my case relief is nearly instantaneous! Then I go
> to work pressing out the rest of the Aloe gel from the stalk to keep
> it at hand. When I feel some discomfort on the burned area, I smear on
> some more gel.
> My worst case was a splash of boiling water across the entire
> front of
> my left leg. By the time I got the Aloe spread on, I could feel the
> first stages of true shock setting in. It took three stalks of Aloe
> for the first application. The stuff the emergency room doctor smeared
> on didn't relieve the pain nearly as well. When I got home a couple
> hours later, I washed his stuff off and put Aloe on again -- felt lots
> better.
> Keep in mind, I'm not talking about some drug store product that
> claims
> to have Aloe, I'm talking about the raw stuff right out of the plant.
> The thicker the better.
> It worked on my wife's sunburn last summer, also.
>
> Casey

If you don't have access to an Aloe plant, many healthfood stores carry
pure Aloe in a bottle. It works very nearly as well as the stuff from
the live plant. As Casey said, don't mistake lotions and creams
"containing Aloe" for the real thing.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Jennifer Kho

The best way to remedial any burns is to put it under the tap with cold water
(the colder the better) for 5-10 minutes depending on the degree of burnt.

Lynne wrote:

> Iburnt my finger in the frying pan and it hurts like mad. what will take
> the pain away?
>
> --
> Lynne x

Levelwave©

PENMART01 wrote:

> It's *wierd* to hear all the dumb ****s with their fercocktah rinky-dink obscure
> ISPs knocking AOL, just because they each and every one of em can't resist
> broadcasting how they are a *CHEAP ********.

It's like an old man, who unfortunately has to return to diapers for the
occasional mishap. After a while he starts to defend the spongy sag
protruding from his trousers - "But they're *so* functional - you're all
idiots for not wearing them!!"

AOL is like training wheels without the bike...

~john