higgins

Default How long will gumbo keep??

I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

On 18 Sep 2005 17:52:52 -0700, "higgins" > wrote:

>I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
>will keep??
>
>How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
>out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

Leftover gumbo???? BLASPHEMER! There is no such animal. If you make it
right, it should outlast the shelf life of a Twinkie. Gumbo is always
fresh made, doesn't matter how long it sits, it's fresh made. A little
more hot sauce and cyan pepper and it's as good as new.

zxcvbob

higgins wrote:
> I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
> will keep??
>
> How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
> out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

When I make it, it lasts about 3 or 4 days. ;-)

The vegs are fully cooked; I don't know why you'd try to strain them out
and put on new ones. They should freeze just fine.

Best regards,
Bob
marionc

Hi higgins

I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.

Marion Connor

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"marionc" > wrote:

> I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
> gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.
>
> Marion Connor

Unfair advantage? How?
Google is your friend, Marion.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...q=gumbo+recipe
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! updated 9-12-05

modom

On 19 Sep 2005 02:10:26 -0700, "marionc"
> wrote:

>Hi higgins
>
>I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
>gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.
>
>Marion Connor

Gumbo is a soup. Like the QEII is a boat.

Gumbo is made from the Cajun holy trinity -- celery, onion, & bell
pepper -- which is diced and sweated in oil till it's transluscent.
Then garlic, salt, pepper, herbs (like bay leaves, for example), and
maybe hot peppers are added. Then comes the stock. Then other good
stuff is added, according to what is available. Good stuff might
include (in no particular order) chicken, shrimp, lump crab meat,
andouille sausage, turkey meat, or what have you. Odoms also add a
dark roux, though others sometimes don't. Gumbo is thickened with
sliced okra or file (powdered, dried sassafras leaves) It is
customarily served in a bowl over a mound of cooked rice.

Odoms eat gumbo on Christmas Eve. They also eat it other times. So
do many others.

modom
sf

On 18 Sep 2005 17:52:52 -0700, higgins wrote:

> I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
> will keep??
>
> How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
> out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

What kind of gumbo? I wouldn't plan to keep a seafood gumbo more than
a day.
higgins

Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
easily hold off on that.

sf

On 20 Sep 2005 06:56:20 -0700, higgins wrote:

> Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
> use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
> shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
> easily hold off on that.

That sounds very interesting! I'd leave out the seafood and add some
andouille.

jmcquown

higgins wrote:
> I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
> will keep??
>
> How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
> out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

Late to this thread; I was out of town. You shouldn't have to strain the
veggies out unless you just want to. Just make sure the gumbo is cooled
before you freeze it. Leftover gumbo is like most other soup.

Jill

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2005 06:56:20 -0700, higgins wrote:
>
>> Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
>> use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
>> shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
>> easily hold off on that.

> That sounds very interesting! I'd leave out the seafood and add some
> andouille.

Yep, I'd go with andouille if I were using chicken or duck. Seafood gumbo
needs to be just that - seafood.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 18, 2005 at 5:52:52 PM UTC-7, higgins wrote:
> I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
> will keep??
>
> How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
> out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

I have successfully eaten gumbo up to 2 weeks after cooking, without adding or subtracting any ingredients. It was stored in the fridge not frozen. Im tempted to have a bowl today of one that's been in for 2.5 weeks but wondering if thats pushing my luck...

For reference, I used a butter base with onion/red bell pepper/garlic/organic brown flour for the roux, and added chicken and seafood stock, shrimp, file, okra, chicken, and and andouille, and of course, some cajun seasoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hey just wondering... When you ate that gumbo 2 weeks later did it give you any type of problems