Old 08-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Bob (this one)

Default What's in St. Louis?

I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Pastorio

Old 09-06-2004, 03:11 AM
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

"Bob (this one)" got ****ed off and typed
:

I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Pastorio

Hmmm... depends on what you like. You need to try some restaurants on

The
Hill. Maybe hit Tonys. I'm going to be in town next week. I'd love to
meet you for lunch or dinner. This bonsai convention, is it at the
Botanical Gardens? My friend Leo may be in from Arizona that week. He
does something every year at the garden about this time. Brian can help
out with this too. You can hit the trendy places in my old neighborhood,
The Central West End. Cafe Balaban, Zoe's, and Kopperman's Deli.
Dressel's Pub is my favorite burger joint. Then there are several nice
spots in my current neck of the woods. Zinnia comes to mind immediately.
Whatcha' like to do?

Tucker's in Soulard for cheap but good steaks...and is the South City Diner
still open?

There is that place in Soulard that's a church converted to a resto...it was
famous for a good Sunday brunch...was (is) it Patty Long's? I know they
used to be in Lafayette Square....

Also (depending on the days the OP is there) I'd recommend a trip to the
Soulard Farmer's Market. It's pretty neat...we don't have anything like it
here in Chicago. Say "Hi" to the live poultry for me if you go ;--)

Oh! Ted Drewe's frozen custard!

--
Best
Greg

Old 09-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

Soulard Market is fun. Yes, the live poultry is a trip. We do Ted Drewe's
at work. We order it in all of the time.

Oh, and Imo's Pizza with that Provel "cheese"....

And a brewery tour....

--
Best
Greg

Old 09-06-2004, 06:01 AM
Bob (this one)

LAllin wrote:

On 8-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" wrote:

I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and
I've never been there before.

What venue; convention center, hotel or Botanical Garden? Will you
have a car? What is preferred cuisine?

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And wife and
12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

Cuisine? I'm not setting limits. I just want to see what the quaint
natives eat as they dance around in their colorful native costumes
singing tuneful native folk songs, playing their exotic native musical
instruments.

Where do I want to go and what foods do I need to try?

Toasted Ravioli for an appetizer at any Italian restaurant.

I've heard this and plan to fit it into what seems like a fairly
crowded schedule.

Botanical Garden is on the edge of the Italian community ("The
Hill") so plenty of very good Italian food; any restaurant on "The
Hill" is going to be a good choice, though my favorite is
Cunetto's, closely followed by Rigazzi's. Good Mexican at Chuy
Arzola's in "Dogtown".

Like sports celebrity steakhouse? Dierdorf and Hart's or Mike
Shannon's downtown.

Four star? Tony's, also downtown.

Cheap? White Castle or Courtesy Drive-in or, Big Ed'd Chili Mac
Diner (downtown) or OT Hodge Chili Parlor (near downtown)

Hamburger? Dooley's Pub downtown or O'Connel's pub near Botanical
Garden.

or check out
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issue...ining_toc.html and
use the search box (lower right of page) to search by cuisine,
neighborhood, etc.

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Good luck with that; you'd have to leave an email address for that
to happen

sigh that's the problem with traveling incognito. Thanks...

Pastorio

Old 09-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Bob (this one)

Dog3 wrote:

Wanna get together a mini RFC thingy when he's in town?

Might be cool. At this point, Friday evening looks best. I suppose
we'll have to start using table manners and stuff like that.

Me, wife, kid.

Pastorio

Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Bob (this one)

Dog3 wrote:

Hmmm... depends on what you like. You need to try some restaurants on The
Hill. Maybe hit Tonys. I'm going to be in town next week. I'd love to
meet you for lunch or dinner. This bonsai convention, is it at the
Botanical Gardens?

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. Looks like Friday evening
will be open.

My friend Leo may be in from Arizona that week. He
does something every year at the garden about this time. Brian can help
out with this too. You can hit the trendy places in my old neighborhood,
The Central West End. Cafe Balaban, Zoe's, and Kopperman's Deli.
Dressel's Pub is my favorite burger joint. Then there are several nice
spots in my current neck of the woods. Zinnia comes to mind immediately.
Whatcha' like to do?

Something different than what I do back here in Virginia. Really open
to whatever...

Michael - email dog30atcharterdotnet

Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Nancy Dooley

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message ...
I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Pastorio

There's a great steak house - can't remember the name of it, but a
teamster's kid got his legs blown off by the mob (long time ago) when
he was eating there (sit facing the door LOL). Tony's? Just can't
remember.

Touristy things - LOVE the arch; hated the zoo; loved the ballpark. I
think there are some good eating places on a riverboat or two, also.
(Not the one with McDonald's arches.)

N.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Dimitri

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Pastorio

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sea... uery=barbecue

Dimitri

Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Bob (this one)

Dimitri wrote:

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message

I'm going to St. Louis, MO. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sea... uery=barbecue

LOL Only 235 suggestions for Q? Jeez. Might have to stay longer than
just the weekend; maybe through Thursday...

Thanks

Pastorio

Old 09-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Bob (this one)

Brent97G wrote:

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And wife and
12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

Since you have wife and daughter with you, they might enjoy Forest Park (about
20 minutesfrom airport) with the Art Museum (good restaurant), the world famous
St. Louis Zoo, Jefferson Memorial which is an American westward expansion
museum, and the St. Louis Science Center.

Excellent. I'll give them this list to wander through while I'm
playing with little trees. Thanks.

Pastorio

Ten minutes south of Forest Park is Ted Drewes Frozen Custard. Although close
to the Airport is a Fritz's which some consider better; although it is not the
local institution like Drewes.

Everyplace in St. Louis has toasted ravioli and most taste like meat-filled
cardboard in spagetti sauce. Lombardo's and the Airport Drury has a very good
version.

As mentioned there is the Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour where you also get to see
some Clydesdale close-up. Related is Grant's Farm (old Busch estate) and the
Clydesdale breeding herd.

In St. Louis County there is the National Museum of Transportation with a
really good collection of old steam engines and trains.

Another old St. Louis specialty still availble at a few places is the fried
brain sandwich.

Oh, and there is an Arch down by the riverfront.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Bob (this one)

LAllin wrote:

On 9-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" wrote:

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And
wife and 12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

Bummer; about the location, not the wife and child. I can't think
of anyplace within several miles of there that would be worth the
effort. In that area you have hotel restaurants and fast food.

I can get that in the frozen food section of my Super Wal-Mart...

Soooooo, plan on driving 10 miles or more to hit one of the places
mentioned earlier.

Not a problem. I live waaaaaay out in the country. It's 10 miles to
anything. And then you have to drive back.

Pastorio

Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
PENMART01

Pasta-rio

There's a great steak house - can't remember the name of it, but a
teamster's kid got his legs blown off by the mob (long time ago) when
he was eating there (sit facing the door LOL). Tony's?

N.

How appropos... perhaps the goons will blow his filthy dago mouth off.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Default User

Dog3 wrote:

Woo Hoo!! Another Chuy fan. I was there the night they opened. They ran
out of guacamole. I loved the place and have been going back every since.

I'll second that. I wish they'd bring back chicken mole though.

Like sports celebrity steakhouse? Dierdorf and Hart's or Mike
Shannon's downtown.

Never been.

I've not really heard that good of things about either.

Four star? Tony's, also downtown.

Yep. My parents go there a great deal and sometimes I'm lucky enough for
an invite.

Excellent of course. I also like Kemoll's.

We disagree. O'Connel's is highly over rated IMO. I rate them right up
there with Busch's Grove in the "We've been coming here for generations"
category. I'm an ex Grove person.

I'll have to disagree with you to a certain extent, we've been going to
oakies after games for a long time. However I don't get burgers there,
normally the roast beef or the roast pork Thursday special.

For burgers, I like Blueberry Hill. Lots of interesting Rock and Roll
memorabilia too.

If you like beer, a good restaurant is St. Louis Brewery & Tap Room,
which is the eatery associated with the Schlafly brewing operation. They
have a myriad of different beers and good food too.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 09-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Nartker wrote:

there used to be a Mexican Joint on Lindburg that was very good Neuvo
something? that would be within your several mile limit,

Pueblo Nuevo, up the road on Lindberg in Hazelwood. Very good Mexican
restaurant, oddly I was just discussing it with STL guys on
rec.arts.sf.written. It has some authentic dishes besides the normal
Tex-Mex items.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 09-06-2004, 06:52 PM

Dog3 wrote:

"Gregory Morrow" got
****ed off and typed
nk.net:

Dog3 wrote:

Soulard Market is fun. Yes, the live poultry is a trip. We do Ted
Drewe's at work. We order it in all of the time.

Oh, and Imo's Pizza with that Provel "cheese"....

And a brewery tour....

Puke...

Which, the local beer or the local pizza? Or both?

If I were to go for authentic St. Louis style pizza, I wouldn't go to
Imo's. A neighborhood joint would be better, we usually go to Pirrone's
in Florissant.

Brian Rodenborn