Bob (this one)

Default What's in St. Louis?

I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
need to try?

I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

Pastorio

Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>
> > I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
> > never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
> > need to try?
> >
> > I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.
> >
> > Pastorio
> >

> Hmmm... depends on what you like. You need to try some restaurants on

The
> Hill. Maybe hit Tonys. I'm going to be in town next week. I'd love to
> meet you for lunch or dinner. This bonsai convention, is it at the
> Botanical Gardens? My friend Leo may be in from Arizona that week. He
> does something every year at the garden about this time. Brian can help
> out with this too. You can hit the trendy places in my old neighborhood,
> The Central West End. Cafe Balaban, Zoe's, and Kopperman's Deli.
> Dressel's Pub is my favorite burger joint. Then there are several nice
> spots in my current neck of the woods. Zinnia comes to mind immediately.
> Whatcha' like to do?

Tucker's in Soulard for cheap but good steaks...and is the South City Diner
still open?

There is that place in Soulard that's a church converted to a resto...it was
famous for a good Sunday brunch...was (is) it Patty Long's? I know they
used to be in Lafayette Square....

Also (depending on the days the OP is there) I'd recommend a trip to the
Soulard Farmer's Market. It's pretty neat...we don't have anything like it
here in Chicago. Say "Hi" to the live poultry for me if you go ;--)

Oh! Ted Drewe's frozen custard!

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> Soulard Market is fun. Yes, the live poultry is a trip. We do Ted Drewe's
> at work. We order it in all of the time.

Oh, and Imo's Pizza with that Provel "cheese"....

And a brewery tour....

--
Best
Greg

Bob (this one)

LAllin wrote:

> On 8-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and
>> I've never been there before.

> What venue; convention center, hotel or Botanical Garden? Will you
> have a car? What is preferred cuisine?

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And wife and
12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

Cuisine? I'm not setting limits. I just want to see what the quaint
natives eat as they dance around in their colorful native costumes
singing tuneful native folk songs, playing their exotic native musical
instruments.

>> Where do I want to go and what foods do I need to try?

> Toasted Ravioli for an appetizer at any Italian restaurant.

I've heard this and plan to fit it into what seems like a fairly
crowded schedule.

> Botanical Garden is on the edge of the Italian community ("The
> Hill") so plenty of very good Italian food; any restaurant on "The
> Hill" is going to be a good choice, though my favorite is
> Cunetto's, closely followed by Rigazzi's. Good Mexican at Chuy
> Arzola's in "Dogtown".
>
> Like sports celebrity steakhouse? Dierdorf and Hart's or Mike
> Shannon's downtown.
>
> Four star? Tony's, also downtown.
>
> Cheap? White Castle or Courtesy Drive-in or, Big Ed'd Chili Mac
> Diner (downtown) or OT Hodge Chili Parlor (near downtown)
>
> Hamburger? Dooley's Pub downtown or O'Connel's pub near Botanical
> Garden.
>
> or check out
> http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issue...ining_toc.html and
> use the search box (lower right of page) to search by cuisine,
> neighborhood, etc.
>
>> I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

> Good luck with that; you'd have to leave an email address for that
> to happen

<sigh> that's the problem with traveling incognito. Thanks...

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Dog3 wrote:

> Wanna get together a mini RFC thingy when he's in town?

Might be cool. At this point, Friday evening looks best. I suppose
we'll have to start using table manners and stuff like that.

Me, wife, kid.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Dog3 wrote:

> Hmmm... depends on what you like. You need to try some restaurants on The
> Hill. Maybe hit Tonys. I'm going to be in town next week. I'd love to
> meet you for lunch or dinner. This bonsai convention, is it at the
> Botanical Gardens?

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. Looks like Friday evening
will be open.

> My friend Leo may be in from Arizona that week. He
> does something every year at the garden about this time. Brian can help
> out with this too. You can hit the trendy places in my old neighborhood,
> The Central West End. Cafe Balaban, Zoe's, and Kopperman's Deli.
> Dressel's Pub is my favorite burger joint. Then there are several nice
> spots in my current neck of the woods. Zinnia comes to mind immediately.
> Whatcha' like to do?

Something different than what I do back here in Virginia. Really open
to whatever...

> Michael <- email dog30atcharterdotnet

Nancy Dooley

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message >...
> I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
> never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
> need to try?
>
> I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.
>
> Pastorio

There's a great steak house - can't remember the name of it, but a
teamster's kid got his legs blown off by the mob (long time ago) when
he was eating there (sit facing the door LOL). Tony's? Just can't
remember.

Touristy things - LOVE the arch; hated the zoo; loved the ballpark. I
think there are some good eating places on a riverboat or two, also.
(Not the one with McDonald's arches.)

N.
Dimitri

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
> never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
> need to try?
>
> I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.
>
> Pastorio

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sea... uery=barbecue

Dimitri

Bob (this one)

Dimitri wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm going to St. Louis, MO. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
>>need to try?

> http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sea... uery=barbecue

<LOL> Only 235 suggestions for Q? Jeez. Might have to stay longer than
just the weekend; maybe through Thursday...

Thanks

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Brent97G wrote:

>>The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
>>Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And wife and
>>12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

> Since you have wife and daughter with you, they might enjoy Forest Park (about
> 20 minutesfrom airport) with the Art Museum (good restaurant), the world famous
> St. Louis Zoo, Jefferson Memorial which is an American westward expansion
> museum, and the St. Louis Science Center.

Excellent. I'll give them this list to wander through while I'm
playing with little trees. Thanks.

Pastorio

> Ten minutes south of Forest Park is Ted Drewes Frozen Custard. Although close
> to the Airport is a Fritz's which some consider better; although it is not the
> local institution like Drewes.
>
> Everyplace in St. Louis has toasted ravioli and most taste like meat-filled
> cardboard in spagetti sauce. Lombardo's and the Airport Drury has a very good
> version.
>
> As mentioned there is the Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour where you also get to see
> some Clydesdale close-up. Related is Grant's Farm (old Busch estate) and the
> Clydesdale breeding herd.
>
> In St. Louis County there is the National Museum of Transportation with a
> really good collection of old steam engines and trains.
>
> Another old St. Louis specialty still availble at a few places is the fried
> brain sandwich.
>
> Oh, and there is an Arch down by the riverfront.

Bob (this one)

LAllin wrote:

> On 9-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
>> Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And
>> wife and 12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

> Bummer; about the location, not the wife and child. I can't think
> of anyplace within several miles of there that would be worth the
> effort. In that area you have hotel restaurants and fast food.

I can get that in the frozen food section of my Super Wal-Mart...

> Soooooo, plan on driving 10 miles or more to hit one of the places
> mentioned earlier.

Not a problem. I live waaaaaay out in the country. It's 10 miles to
anything. And then you have to drive back.

Pastorio

PENMART01

>> Pasta-rio
>
>There's a great steak house - can't remember the name of it, but a
>teamster's kid got his legs blown off by the mob (long time ago) when
>he was eating there (sit facing the door LOL). Tony's?
>
>N.

How appropos... perhaps the goons will blow his filthy dago mouth off.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Default User

Dog3 wrote:

> Woo Hoo!! Another Chuy fan. I was there the night they opened. They ran
> out of guacamole. I loved the place and have been going back every since.

I'll second that. I wish they'd bring back chicken mole though.

> > Like sports celebrity steakhouse? Dierdorf and Hart's or Mike
> > Shannon's downtown.

> Never been.

I've not really heard that good of things about either.

> > Four star? Tony's, also downtown.

> Yep. My parents go there a great deal and sometimes I'm lucky enough for
> an invite.

Excellent of course. I also like Kemoll's.

> We disagree. O'Connel's is highly over rated IMO. I rate them right up
> there with Busch's Grove in the "We've been coming here for generations"
> category. I'm an ex Grove person.

I'll have to disagree with you to a certain extent, we've been going to
oakies after games for a long time. However I don't get burgers there,
normally the roast beef or the roast pork Thursday special.

For burgers, I like Blueberry Hill. Lots of interesting Rock and Roll
memorabilia too.

If you like beer, a good restaurant is St. Louis Brewery & Tap Room,
which is the eatery associated with the Schlafly brewing operation. They
have a myriad of different beers and good food too.

Brian Rodenborn

Nartker wrote:

> there used to be a Mexican Joint on Lindburg that was very good Neuvo
> something? that would be within your several mile limit,

Pueblo Nuevo, up the road on Lindberg in Hazelwood. Very good Mexican
restaurant, oddly I was just discussing it with STL guys on
rec.arts.sf.written. It has some authentic dishes besides the normal
Tex-Mex items.

Brian Rodenborn

Dog3 wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > got
> ****ed off and typed
> nk.net:
>

> > Dog3 wrote:
> >
> >> Soulard Market is fun. Yes, the live poultry is a trip. We do Ted
> >> Drewe's at work. We order it in all of the time.

> > Oh, and Imo's Pizza with that Provel "cheese"....
> >
> > And a brewery tour....
> >

> Puke...

Which, the local beer or the local pizza? Or both?

If I were to go for authentic St. Louis style pizza, I wouldn't go to
Imo's. A neighborhood joint would be better, we usually go to Pirrone's
in Florissant.

Brian Rodenborn

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> <LOL> Only 235 suggestions for Q? Jeez. Might have to stay longer than
> just the weekend; maybe through Thursday...

I used to go to Reynold's when I lived over there in Normandy. It's
pretty good. Beats the hell out of Bandanna's or Tony Roma's.

Brian Rodenborn
Gregory Morrow

Default User wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
> >
> > "Gregory Morrow" > got
> > ****ed off and typed
> > nk.net:

> > > Oh, and Imo's Pizza with that Provel "cheese"....
> > >
> > > And a brewery tour....
> > >

> > Puke...

> Which, the local beer or the local pizza? Or both?
>
> If I were to go for authentic St. Louis style pizza, I wouldn't go to
> Imo's. A neighborhood joint would be better, we usually go to Pirrone's
> in Florissant.

My Imo's mention was a joke...as is that Provel "cheeze" ;-)

A question: what are "St. Louis - style ribs"? How are they different from
other bbq ribs?

--
Best
Greg "just curious"

Brent97G

>gregorymorrowTHEKISSINGBANDATE wrote

>A question: what are "St. Louis - style ribs"? How are they different from

St. Louis style ribs is a cut, not a style of cooking. It is the pork sparerib
with the end trimmed off. The ribs where the bone is exposed on both sides.

LAllin wrote:

> On 9-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
> > <LOL> Only 235 suggestions for Q? Jeez. Might have to stay longer than
> > just the weekend; maybe through Thursday...

> Don't bother; St. Louis is clueless about Q

Not always. You do have to get off the beaten track, go to some
neighborhoods that make you feel a bit uncomfortable. See my other
comment about Reynold's over in Pine Lawn.

Brian Rodenborn

Dog3 wrote:

> Default User > got ****ed off and typed
> :

> > Excellent of course. I also like Kemoll's.

> I had forgotten about Kemoll's. Ya' know, I don't think I have been there
> since they moved. Years ago. If I recall it was a great experience.

I do miss the old north-side location, it was strange driving into a
tough-looking neighborhood, then pulling into this wonderful restaurant.
The downtown spot still has the quality.

> > If you like beer, a good restaurant is St. Louis Brewery & Tap Room,
> > which is the eatery associated with the Schlafly brewing operation.
> > They have a myriad of different beers and good food too.

> I used to work close to it. We would do happy hours there quite a bit. I
> had dinner there many times and enjoyed it.

The chocolate with caramel sauce is a great dessert, so rich we usually
split a piece with four people or so.

> Well hell, I've just discovered I eat out as much as I cook. Have you
> tried the shark bits at Syberg's?

Not been there. I'm the opposite, eating in more these days.

Brian Rodenborn

BillKirch

>Oh! Ted Drewe's frozen custard!

BINGO!!!!!!!!! BG
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> Well hell, I've just discovered I eat out as much as I cook. Have you
> tried the shark bits at Syberg's?

Just had to mention that one of the very worst meals of my life ("worstest"
was at Joe's Crab Shack here in Chicago) was at the Black - Eyed Pea...it
was in some strip mall out west of St. Louis....

Oh and I love Jack (Off) In The Box when I go to St. Louis - we don't have
them here in Chicago. I've had to pig out on JITB whenever I've been
there..can't resist ;-p

--
Best
Greg

Wayne

skai > wrote in
:

> And Viviano's on the Hill is good place to pick up some nice cheeses
> like parmesano regiano, asiago, pecorino romano and meats, oils etc.
> Hmmmm, does this stuff freeze well?
>
> Your daughter might enjoy the City Museum too.
>
> Enjoy your visit!

If you haven't time to tour the extensive Shaw's Gardens (or even if you
have), you might also want to visit The Jewel Box in Forest Park. It has
been called a "fabulous display greenhouse". It can be toured much more
quickly and is a truly unique place. I understand it has recently
undergone a major renovation.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Gregory Morrow

skai wrote:

> And Viviano's on the Hill is good place to pick up some nice cheeses
> like parmesano regiano, asiago, pecorino romano and meats, oils etc.
> Hmmmm, does this stuff freeze well?

They do ship:

http://www.shopviviano.com/

--
Best
Greg

And, Schlafley's Beer.

If I ever take up beer drinking, it'll be Schlafley's

<rj>

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:17:27 -0500, skai >
wrote:

> And Viviano's on the Hill is good place to pick up some nice cheeses
>like parmesano regiano, asiago, pecorino romano and meats, oils etc.
>Hmmmm, does this stuff freeze well?
>
>Your daughter might enjoy the City Museum too.
>
>Enjoy your visit!

<rj>

"" wrote:

> And, Schlafley's Beer.
>
> If I ever take up beer drinking, it'll be Schlafley's

I mentioned previously Schlafly's Tap Room restaurant. They also have
the fairly recently opened Bottleworks in Maplewood.

http://www.digitalcity.com/stlouis/e...dp?sbid=123908

Brian Rodenborn
Andrew H. Carter (Applied ROT 17 Left, for Email d

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:37:37 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and I've
>never been there before. Where do I want to go and what foods do I
>need to try?
>
>I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.
>
>Pastorio

Grant's Farm (Two free glasses of beer, at least that's the way it
was when last in St. Louis '96, killer soft pretzels)

Ted Drew's Frozen Yogurt (Lines are blocks long it's that good).

--
Sincerely, | (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ///\\\
d(-_-)b |