David Barto

Default SAN DIEGO COOK-IN

Charles Gifford > wrote:
You people are too young to know what an "Anything-In" is. History means
nothing anymore. <sigh> Kids today.

I hope I understand. You mean a 'sit-in' as a way of taking
control? At a cook-in we take control of someone's kitchen ;-)
I am not 50 yet, but I remember the people who tried to voice their
abhorrence of the Vietnam war.

Back on topic- I finally found something to put in the empty
drawer in the kitchen. Last October, I asked the attendees, what
to do with the empty drawer. Most just growled something about
having that many drawers in a kitchen...

We are really looking forward to cooking with ya'll.
See you Saturday.

Katherine G. Barto

Charles Gifford

"David Barto" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford > wrote:
> You people are too young to know what an "Anything-In" is. History means
> nothing anymore. <sigh> Kids today.
>
> I hope I understand. You mean a 'sit-in' as a way of taking
> control? At a cook-in we take control of someone's kitchen ;-)
> I am not 50 yet, but I remember the people who tried to voice their
> abhorrence of the Vietnam war.

Indeed. There were many __-In events; lie-, stand-, sleep-, and especially
the wonderful Love-Ins (I can fondly discuss these with a little liquid
encouragement). Our Cook-Ins are more like the immortal Laugh-Ins.

> Back on topic- I finally found something to put in the empty
> drawer in the kitchen. Last October, I asked the attendees, what
> to do with the empty drawer. Most just growled something about
> having that many drawers in a kitchen...

Gonna be a surprise eh?

> We are really looking forward to cooking with ya'll.
> See you Saturday.
>

> Katherine G. Barto

Thank you Katherine. I'm looking forward to it too!

Blair P. Houghton

>Charles Gifford > wrote:
>You people are too young to know what an "Anything-In" is. History means
>nothing anymore. <sigh> Kids today.

I'm guessing you're approaching a hundred, then. Because
Mario Savio didn't invent them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sit-in

--Blair
"He just turned them into a great
way to get laid."

Pan Ohco

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:49:28 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> wrote:

>Kinda OT but..... an extra drawer? Drool. We have a kitchen without
>even one drawer. Kind of a ramshackle coffee "shack" that works for
>many years..but I lust for drawers.
>Thunder

I'm building a new house, and in the kitchen, the island is nothing
but drawers. I specified this due to the lack of drawers in my present
kitchen.
Pan Ohco
JimLane

Pan Ohco wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:49:28 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> > wrote:
>

>>Kinda OT but..... an extra drawer? Drool. We have a kitchen without
>>even one drawer. Kind of a ramshackle coffee "shack" that works for
>>many years..but I lust for drawers.
>>Thunder
>>

> I'm building a new house, and in the kitchen, the island is nothing
> but drawers. I specified this due to the lack of drawers in my present
> kitchen.
> Pan Ohco

Many years ago, my mother had her kitchen redone with drawers, excepting
the space under the sink. Working fine some 20 years later.

If you're doing this, make sure any drawers that will hold heavy pans,
dishes. . . are on high grade glides designed for the weight. Those
silly little wooden goodies under the center of most drawers won't cut it.

jim
Orion

"David Barto" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford > wrote:
> You people are too young to know what an "Anything-In" is. History means
> nothing anymore. <sigh> Kids today.
>
> I hope I understand. You mean a 'sit-in' as a way of taking
> control? At a cook-in we take control of someone's kitchen ;-)
> I am not 50 yet, but I remember the people who tried to voice their
> abhorrence of the Vietnam war.
>
> Back on topic- I finally found something to put in the empty
> drawer in the kitchen. Last October, I asked the attendees, what
> to do with the empty drawer. Most just growled something about
> having that many drawers in a kitchen...
>
> We are really looking forward to cooking with ya'll.
> See you Saturday.
>

> Katherine G. Barto

A family situation has come up and I won't be able to make it. I'm hoping
that there will be other times to meet some of my local yokals and have some
fun. I'll likely be out of town during the event, my mom is really old and
ill. I think it's great you opening your home to virtual strangers like
myself, thanks for that.

Suzan

Charles Gifford

Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be on
Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway. Everyone is
invited. We are a nice group of people........especially after a few drinks.
You can expect lots of good food, drink and conversation (gossip).

If you would like to attend or would like more information, please email me.
Use this addy and reference the cook-in in the subject line so you don't get
stuck in my filter. If you have special needs or specific questions, let me
know. I will be sending out information to the list of attendees this coming
week. Don't be shy, you really will have a good time. We are very informal
here in SoCal and cooking expertise is not important though valued.

Charliam

Charles Gifford

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be on
> Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway.

<snip>

If you are supposed to be on the list but haven't received the information
emails, I have screwed up. Let me know please and I will get it corrected.

Charliam

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:47:47 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>If you are supposed to be on the list but haven't received the information
>emails, I have screwed up. Let me know please and I will get it corrected.

Lookin' forward to it, Charlie. Am fingerin' my recipe collection and
eyeballin' the wine cellar. Bill's in charge of the beer :-)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Charles Gifford

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message

> Lookin' forward to it, Charlie. Am fingerin' my recipe collection and
> eyeballin' the wine cellar. Bill's in charge of the beer :-)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Bill is an excellent beer chooser and supplier! I have been thinking about
recipes too. Going in the direction of cherry Jell-O and Cool Whip. <grin>

Charlie

David Barto

Charles Gifford > wrote:

> Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be on
> Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway. Everyone is
> invited. We are a nice group of people........especially after a few drinks.
> You can expect lots of good food, drink and conversation (gossip).
>
> If you would like to attend or would like more information, please email me.
> Use this addy and reference the cook-in in the subject line so you don't get
> stuck in my filter. If you have special needs or specific questions, let me
> know. I will be sending out information to the list of attendees this coming
> week. Don't be shy, you really will have a good time. We are very informal
> here in SoCal and cooking expertise is not important though valued.
>
> Charliam

Hello All,

Katherine Barto here. Let's see how many people we can get
here. Jamie, Brian, Charlie, Koko, Stan, Rich and Patti, Debbie, Peter
(Stuart, and Catherine too!)
Mimi (and bring J.B.) Jack if you want to come on out again, we would
like more bluefish! Patrick and Nancy, Jim Lane, Charlotte Blackmer.
Terry and Bill, Debra, David. We always like extra Davids.
(All attendees last year.)
I'm still hoping to see the Hartmans here and the Testers too.

We have been a bit busy, but we are definitely happy to have the Cook-In
here. Charlie is so organized, so the list of hotels and general info on
cook-ins have already been posted.

Please e-mail me if anyone has questions:
We have a six burner propane stove on the kitchen island, two
electric ovens, a toaster oven, a grill outside, two refrigerators,
microwave, warming oven etc.

We really want you all to come,

Katherine Barto

sf

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:48:09 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Just got a dehydrator and am thinking about making some beef jerky
> from a recipe posted by Barb Shaller for one of my offerings...if it
> turns out okay! Thus will Barb be represented, after all!

Jeeze, woman.... stop talking and start making that jerky!
Your "all talk and no do" is making me crazy.

Dimitri

"David Barto" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
>> Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be on
>> Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway. Everyone is
>> invited. We are a nice group of people........especially after a few drinks.
>> You can expect lots of good food, drink and conversation (gossip).
>>
>> If you would like to attend or would like more information, please email me.
>> Use this addy and reference the cook-in in the subject line so you don't get
>> stuck in my filter. If you have special needs or specific questions, let me
>> know. I will be sending out information to the list of attendees this coming
>> week. Don't be shy, you really will have a good time. We are very informal
>> here in SoCal and cooking expertise is not important though valued.
>>
>> Charliam

> Hello All,
>
> Katherine Barto here. Let's see how many people we can get
> here. Jamie, Brian, Charlie, Koko, Stan, Rich and Patti, Debbie, Peter
> (Stuart, and Catherine too!)
> Mimi (and bring J.B.) Jack if you want to come on out again, we would
> like more bluefish! Patrick and Nancy, Jim Lane, Charlotte Blackmer.
> Terry and Bill, Debra, David. We always like extra Davids.
> (All attendees last year.)
> I'm still hoping to see the Hartmans here and the Testers too.
>

> We have been a bit busy, but we are definitely happy to have the Cook-In
> here. Charlie is so organized, so the list of hotels and general info on
> cook-ins have already been posted.
>
> Please e-mail me if anyone has questions:
> We have a six burner propane stove on the kitchen island, two
> electric ovens, a toaster oven, a grill outside, two refrigerators,
> microwave, warming oven etc.
>
> We really want you all to come,
>
> Katherine Barto

In all likelihood Dimitri & # 1 daughter.

:-)

Dimitri

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:36:56 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:48:09 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> Just got a dehydrator and am thinking about making some beef jerky
>> from a recipe posted by Barb Shaller for one of my offerings...if it
>> turns out okay! Thus will Barb be represented, after all!

>Jeeze, woman.... stop talking and start making that jerky!
>Your "all talk and no do" is making me crazy.

Just workin' on gettin' the Prqgue Powder No. 2, which should show up
shortly.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Frogleg

>Charles Gifford > wrote:
>
>> Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be on
>> Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway.

Let's have some organized pictures this time. Last big cook-in was
followed by a lot of confusion about were/how to post, and AFAIK,
there were never any available except by private e-mail. I want
*pictures* of people and food, not just fond prose recollections!
Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "David Barto" > wrote in message

<SNIP >
> > We really want you all to come,
> >
> > Katherine Barto
> >

> In all likelihood Dimitri & # 1 daughter.
>
> :-)
>
> Dimitri

Excellent! Did you get all the info yet?

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> >Charles Gifford > wrote:
> >
> >> Only one month until the San Diego Annual Cook-In! The cook-in will be

on
> >> Saturday June 25th at the Barto's hilltop home in Poway.

> Let's have some organized pictures this time. Last big cook-in was
> followed by a lot of confusion about were/how to post, and AFAIK,
> there were never any available except by private e-mail. I want
> *pictures* of people and food, not just fond prose recollections!

Too true. Sigh! We have all been pointing fingers at each other. We have all
sworn to do it right this time. Also, I have hopes that we can get the last
pics up sometime in a logical place. Trouble is, we all get a little "loose"
and tend to forget proper behavior let alone taking photos.

You need to attend sometime so I can give you that book!

Charlie

JimLane

Charles Gifford wrote:

> on

>>Let's have some organized pictures this time. Last big cook-in was
>>followed by a lot of confusion about were/how to post, and AFAIK,
>>there were never any available except by private e-mail. I want
>>*pictures* of people and food, not just fond prose recollections!

> Too true. Sigh! We have all been pointing fingers at each other. We have all
> sworn to do it right this time. Also, I have hopes that we can get the last
> pics up sometime in a logical place. Trouble is, we all get a little "loose"
> and tend to forget proper behavior let alone taking photos.
>
> You need to attend sometime so I can give you that book!
>
> Charlie

Let me suggest flickr.

jim
Frogleg

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:55:10 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>on

>> Let's have some organized pictures this time. Last big cook-in was
>> followed by a lot of confusion about were/how to post, and AFAIK,
>> there were never any available except by private e-mail. I want
>> *pictures* of people and food, not just fond prose recollections!

>Too true. Sigh! We have all been pointing fingers at each other. We have all
>sworn to do it right this time. Also, I have hopes that we can get the last
>pics up sometime in a logical place. Trouble is, we all get a little "loose"
>and tend to forget proper behavior let alone taking photos.

As long as some thought is being devoted to this aspect, I must be
content. I would love to attend someday. It sounds like a jolly good
time.