FoodBanter.com

-   -   OT New Orleans Cops (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/69333-ot-new-orleans-cops.html)

Dimitri 06-09-2005 08:55 PM

OT New Orleans Cops

I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
Here is an unfair comparison.

Dimitri

Los Angeles Police Department
New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or experience
apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in training at the
Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.

RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546

New Orleans Police Department.

PositionAnnual
Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
Police Major $50,513 $55,313
Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896

notbob 06-09-2005 09:43 PM

On 2005-09-06, Dimitri > wrote:
> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043

Which are at or above the median household income of $29K and
avg home prices of about $125K.

nb

cathyxyz 06-09-2005 09:51 PM

Dimitri wrote:
> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
> Here is an unfair comparison.
>
> Dimitri
>

> Los Angeles Police Department
> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or experience
> apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in training at the
> Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>
> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>

> New Orleans Police Department.
>
> PositionAnnual
> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896

Dimitri,

I find this very interesting and sadly, very familiar. Same thing goes
on here.... geography influences wages. IMHO "cops" never get paid
enough. The violent crime rate here is bad, so our guys literally put
their lives on the line on a daily basis - never mind what would happen
in such an horrific crisis as has occurred in N.O.

But I have to compare apples with apples.... so I need to ask you a few
questions...

What does the *including state pay* mean exactly? Do only some people
qualify?

As we work on weekly or monthly budgets in this part of the world, the
minimum of $25k would work out to approx US$490 per week, or US$2125 per
month. Would this be considered a "livable" wage in the US? Over here it
*could* be (if I do an "exchange rate" conversion to our local currency
and take the local "cost of living" and inflation into consideration.

I have seen quite a few threads on weekly grocery spending in the US,
but nothing about rents/mortgages, gas/electricity bills, cost of
household appliances, not to mention education; and dare I say
fuel/transport costs..... the list goes on..... so I have no idea. I
would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Wayne Boatwright 06-09-2005 10:13 PM

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 01:51:57p, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dimitri wrote:
>> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
>> Here is an unfair comparison.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

>> Los Angeles Police Department
>> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or
>> experience apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in
>> training at the Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>>
>> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
>> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
>> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
>> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>>

>> New Orleans Police Department.
>>
>> PositionAnnual
>> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform,
>> Millage
>> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
>> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
>> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
>> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
>> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
>> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
>> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
>> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
>> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
>> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896
>>

> Dimitri,
>
> I find this very interesting and sadly, very familiar. Same thing goes
> on here.... geography influences wages. IMHO "cops" never get paid
> enough. The violent crime rate here is bad, so our guys literally put
> their lives on the line on a daily basis - never mind what would happen
> in such an horrific crisis as has occurred in N.O.
>
> But I have to compare apples with apples.... so I need to ask you a few
> questions...
>
> What does the *including state pay* mean exactly? Do only some people
> qualify?
>
> As we work on weekly or monthly budgets in this part of the world, the
> minimum of $25k would work out to approx US$490 per week, or US$2125 per
> month. Would this be considered a "livable" wage in the US? Over here it
> *could* be (if I do an "exchange rate" conversion to our local currency
> and take the local "cost of living" and inflation into consideration.
>
> I have seen quite a few threads on weekly grocery spending in the US,
> but nothing about rents/mortgages, gas/electricity bills, cost of
> household appliances, not to mention education; and dare I say
> fuel/transport costs..... the list goes on..... so I have no idea. I
> would appreciate your comments.
>
> Thanks

As the realtors say here in the US, "location, location, location". As I
said in a previous post, it's all relative. Both are true.

Cost of living varies widely (wildly) throughout the US, as do wages.
Someone stated that the average home in or around NO was $125K. Here in
the Phoenix area that would be doubled, at $250K. Obviously, like the gas
situation, the prices are outrageous and becoming moreso all over the US.

The wage to cost of living ratio is more often similar from area to area,
even though the dollars vary. $25K would be a livable wage in some areas
of the US. in NYC, however, 4 times that would probably get you an
"average" lifestyle.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

cathyxyz 06-09-2005 10:51 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> As the realtors say here in the US, "location, location, location". As I
> said in a previous post, it's all relative. Both are true.
>
> Cost of living varies widely (wildly) throughout the US, as do wages.
> Someone stated that the average home in or around NO was $125K. Here in
> the Phoenix area that would be doubled, at $250K. Obviously, like the gas
> situation, the prices are outrageous and becoming moreso all over the US.
>
> The wage to cost of living ratio is more often similar from area to area,
> even though the dollars vary. $25K would be a livable wage in some areas
> of the US. in NYC, however, 4 times that would probably get you an
> "average" lifestyle.

I see. As they say, same sh*t, different day (or country in this instance).
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Dimitri 07-09-2005 12:56 AM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-09-06, Dimitri > wrote:
>> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform,
>> Millage
>> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
>> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
>> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043

> Which are at or above the median household income of $29K and
> avg home prices of about $125K.
>
> nb

Salary dot Com is always high but here are the numbers they report.

Cost of Living at Home Typical Salary at Work

Current Location Los Angeles, CA (Edit)Los Angeles, CA (Edit) (50,000 salary)
New Location New Orleans, LA (Edit)Monroe, LA (Edit)

Percent Change in $ -29.9% -15.8%

Explanation The cost of living in New Orleans, LA is 29.9% lower than in Los
Angeles, CA. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $35,053 to maintain
your current standard of living. Employers in Monroe, LA typically pay 15.8%
less than employers in Los Angeles, CA. Therefore, if you take the same type of
job in the same type of company in Monroe, LA you are likely to earn $42,116.

All changed of course.

From the NY times: :-(

Dimitri

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 3 - Reeling from the chaos of this overwhelmed city, at least
200 New Orleans police officers have walked away from their jobs and two have
committed suicide, police officials said on Saturday.

Some officers told their superiors they were leaving, police officials said.
Others worked for a while and then stopped showing up. Still others, for reasons
not always clear, never made it in after the storm.
The absences come during a period of extraordinary stress for the New Orleans
Police Department. For nearly a week, many of its 1,500 members have had to work
around the clock, trying to cope with flooding, an overwhelming crush of
refugees, looters and occasional snipers.

P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police, said most of his officers
were staying at their posts. But in an unusual note of sympathy for a top police
official, he said it was understandable that many were frustrated. He said
morale was "not very good."

The Primate 07-09-2005 01:17 AM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-09-06, Dimitri > wrote:
>> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform,
>> Millage
>> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
>> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
>> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043

> Which are at or above the median household income of $29K and
> avg home prices of about $125K.
>
> nb

Here where I am it's about 55K Can for a Policeman. A Policeman in my City
makes as much as a Project Engineer in the Engineering Dept. Actually alot
more with overtime. Average home prices are about 125K and the median
household income is about 50k.

AP

Sheldon 07-09-2005 01:25 AM

Dimitri wrote:
> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
> Here is an unfair comparison.
>
> Dimitri
>

> Los Angeles Police Department
> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or experience
> apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in training at the
> Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>
> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>

> New Orleans Police Department.
>
> PositionAnnual
> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896

Southerner cops ain't really cops... they wear a badge during the day
and at night a pointy pillow case. In The Heat Of The Night... Redneck
Justice...

The NOLA mayor is a typical dumb bubba, the Governer of Louisianna is a
cowardly pinhead, she's far, FAR dumber than roadkill. How do I know,
I got TV... geeze but southerners are dumb, incest'll do that.

Sheldon

Allan Matthews 08-09-2005 01:00 PM

On 6 Sep 2005 17:25:53 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:
>> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
>> Here is an unfair comparison.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

>> Los Angeles Police Department
>> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or experience
>> apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in training at the
>> Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>>
>> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
>> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
>> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
>> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>>

>> New Orleans Police Department.
>>
>> PositionAnnual
>> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
>> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
>> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
>> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
>> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
>> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
>> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
>> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
>> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
>> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
>> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896

>Southerner cops ain't really cops... they wear a badge during the day
>and at night a pointy pillow case. In The Heat Of The Night... Redneck
>Justice...
>
>The NOLA mayor is a typical dumb bubba, the Governer of Louisianna is a
>cowardly pinhead, she's far, FAR dumber than roadkill. How do I know,
>I got TV... geeze but southerners are dumb, incest'll do that.
>
>Sheldon

Good grief Sheldon, Can't you generalize any more. The KKK has been
bankrupt and out of business for years. Not all Southernors are
stupid. Even you, in your infinite wisdom, have been known to make
less than super intelligent statements. It would be interesting to
see how the NOLA situation would have gone if you were in charge.

Sheldon 08-09-2005 01:44 PM

Allan Matthews wrote:
> Sheldon
> It would be interesting to see how the NOLA situation would have gone if you were > in charge.

Would/ve been no stinkin' situation... my first day in office I'd have
condemned the entire city, bulldozed it flat and let Mother Nature take
it from there... should have been condemned 100 years ago. And that's
what needs to be done now. The residents are so friken stupid and they
thump their bibles way too much... those pinheads actually look to the
government like it's Moses, with one wave of a stick their Red Sea
would part. duh

To be perfectly honest, from what I've seen on T-Vee, it'd be no great
human loss had all of those who *refused* to leave drowned. At this
point I'd not permit them to leave, let them continue to rot... can't
imagine any viable city would want that no account welfare dreck. Now
I see the powers that be gonna give those total losers even more
welfare, in the form of debit cards, like those zombies are going to
all of a sudden know how to manage cash... most of them will blow it on
crack.

Instead of wasting resources (mine) pumping water they need to finish
what Mother Nature started and bulldoze all those levees before she
returns, and she definitely will... this was only a very mild warning.

Sheldon

Allan Matthews 08-09-2005 02:02 PM

On 8 Sep 2005 05:44:53 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Allan Matthews wrote:
>> Sheldon
>> It would be interesting to see how the NOLA situation would have gone if you were > in charge.

>Would/ve been no stinkin' situation... my first day in office I'd have
>condemned the entire city, bulldozed it flat and let Mother Nature take
>it from there... should have been condemned 100 years ago. And that's
>what needs to be done now. The residents are so friken stupid and they
>thump their bibles way too much... those pinheads actually look to the
>government like it's Moses, with one wave of a stick their Red Sea
>would part. duh
>
>To be perfectly honest, from what I've seen on T-Vee, it'd be no great
>human loss had all of those who *refused* to leave drowned. At this
>point I'd not permit them to leave, let them continue to rot... can't
>imagine any viable city would want that no account welfare dreck. Now
>I see the powers that be gonna give those total losers even more
>welfare, in the form of debit cards, like those zombies are going to
>all of a sudden know how to manage cash... most of them will blow it on
>crack.
>
>Instead of wasting resources (mine) pumping water they need to finish
>what Mother Nature started and bulldoze all those levees before she
>returns, and she definitely will... this was only a very mild warning.
>
>Sheldon

You are a truly compassionate soul, Sheldon. May I assume you would
have gassed or shot the 400,000 people who are now out of work or
without homes, money, and clothing, and who have lost everything they
hold dear? This is the greatest country in the world and the billions
we have wasted in Iraq, where the majority of people want a Theocracy
instead of a Democracy would have helped these people who are US
citizens and have paid taxes for years.

It now turns out that Germany and France were correct about the Iraq
War.
Have a good day ....just a few miles from me and in a beautiful part
of NYS.
Allan

Sheldon 08-09-2005 03:30 PM

Allan Matthews wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2005 05:44:53 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Allan Matthews wrote:
> >> Sheldon
> >> It would be interesting to see how the NOLA situation would have gone if you were > in charge.

> >Would/ve been no stinkin' situation... my first day in office I'd have
> >condemned the entire city, bulldozed it flat and let Mother Nature take
> >it from there... should have been condemned 100 years ago. And that's
> >what needs to be done now. The residents are so friken stupid and they
> >thump their bibles way too much... those pinheads actually look to the
> >government like it's Moses, with one wave of a stick their Red Sea
> >would part. duh
> >
> >To be perfectly honest, from what I've seen on T-Vee, it'd be no great
> >human loss had all of those who *refused* to leave drowned. At this
> >point I'd not permit them to leave, let them continue to rot... can't
> >imagine any viable city would want that no account welfare dreck. Now
> >I see the powers that be gonna give those total losers even more
> >welfare, in the form of debit cards, like those zombies are going to
> >all of a sudden know how to manage cash... most of them will blow it on
> >crack.
> >
> >Instead of wasting resources (mine) pumping water they need to finish
> >what Mother Nature started and bulldoze all those levees before she
> >returns, and she definitely will... this was only a very mild warning.
> >
> > You are a truly compassionate soul, Sheldon.

Compassion (feeling badly) is a negative emotion (drags one down to the
level of the inept), what purpose in crying into ones beer, most
especially wasted on the able bodied who REFUSE to care for
themselves... why would any responsible person want to invest in
someone who'd rather drown. Compassion is reserved for the
infirm/elderly, infants and most especially animals.... where's the
compassion of rescue squads who made no provision for and refuse to
save the most vulnerable and innocent, the animals. Allan, you're the
one whose priorties are skewed and befuddled. My priorities are in
order and well defined... *help those first who are most willing to
help themselves*. You're the kind of pinhead who'd waste energy
wanting to blow breath into a leaking balloon.... you want to pour MY
resourses into the parasites, well you go right ahead, but with YOUR
resources, and then quit yer bitchin when they kick you in your crotch.
I got your compassion schwingin'... I'd sooner rescue a potted plant
before some no account section 8 welfare dreck... at least with care
the plant will flourish, the dreck will always remain dreck and the
more they're given the more they'll take and never give anything back.

Sheldon

Allan Matthews 08-09-2005 03:39 PM

On 8 Sep 2005 07:30:36 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Allan Matthews wrote:

>> >Would/ve been no stinkin' situation... my first day in office I'd have
>> >condemned the entire city, bulldozed it flat and let Mother Nature take
>> >it from there... should have been condemned 100 years ago. And that's
>> >what needs to be done now. The residents are so friken stupid and they
>> >thump their bibles way too much... those pinheads actually look to the
>> >government like it's Moses, with one wave of a stick their Red Sea
>> >would part. duh
>> >
>> >To be perfectly honest, from what I've seen on T-Vee, it'd be no great
>> >human loss had all of those who *refused* to leave drowned. At this
>> >point I'd not permit them to leave, let them continue to rot... can't
>> >imagine any viable city would want that no account welfare dreck. Now
>> >I see the powers that be gonna give those total losers even more
>> >welfare, in the form of debit cards, like those zombies are going to
>> >all of a sudden know how to manage cash... most of them will blow it on
>> >crack.
>> >
>> >Instead of wasting resources (mine) pumping water they need to finish
>> >what Mother Nature started and bulldoze all those levees before she
>> >returns, and she definitely will... this was only a very mild warning.
>> >
>> > You are a truly compassionate soul, Sheldon.

>Compassion (feeling badly) is a negative emotion (drags one down to the
>level of the inept), what purpose in crying into ones beer, most
>especially wasted on the able bodied who REFUSE to care for
>themselves... why would any responsible person want to invest in
>someone who'd rather drown. Compassion is reserved for the
>infirm/elderly, infants and most especially animals.... where's the
>compassion of rescue squads who made no provision for and refuse to
>save the most vulnerable and innocent, the animals. Allan, you're the
>one whose priorties are skewed and befuddled. My priorities are in
>order and well defined... *help those first who are most willing to
>help themselves*. You're the kind of pinhead who'd waste energy
>wanting to blow breath into a leaking balloon.... you want to pour MY
>resourses into the parasites, well you go right ahead, but with YOUR
>resources, and then quit yer bitchin when they kick you in your crotch.
> I got your compassion schwingin'... I'd sooner rescue a potted plant
>before some no account section 8 welfare dreck... at least with care
>the plant will flourish, the dreck will always remain dreck and the
>more they're given the more they'll take and never give anything back.
>

>Sheldon

You are going under the assumption that all of these people who have
lost everything there are "bad" people, leeches on society, and not
worth helping. You are a pathetic person. I feel sorry for you.
Have a good day and really try to enjoy life.
Allan

JimLane 08-09-2005 06:37 PM

Allan Matthews wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2005 07:30:36 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>Allan Matthews wrote:

>>Compassion (feeling badly) is a negative emotion (drags one down to the
>>level of the inept), what purpose in crying into ones beer, most
>>especially wasted on the able bodied who REFUSE to care for
>>themselves... why would any responsible person want to invest in
>>someone who'd rather drown. Compassion is reserved for the
>>infirm/elderly, infants and most especially animals.... where's the
>>compassion of rescue squads who made no provision for and refuse to
>>save the most vulnerable and innocent, the animals. Allan, you're the
>>one whose priorties are skewed and befuddled. My priorities are in
>>order and well defined... *help those first who are most willing to
>>help themselves*. You're the kind of pinhead who'd waste energy
>>wanting to blow breath into a leaking balloon.... you want to pour MY
>>resourses into the parasites, well you go right ahead, but with YOUR
>>resources, and then quit yer bitchin when they kick you in your crotch.
>>I got your compassion schwingin'... I'd sooner rescue a potted plant
>>before some no account section 8 welfare dreck... at least with care
>>the plant will flourish, the dreck will always remain dreck and the
>>more they're given the more they'll take and never give anything back.
>>

>>Sheldon

> You are going under the assumption that all of these people who have
> lost everything there are "bad" people, leeches on society, and not
> worth helping. You are a pathetic person. I feel sorry for you.
> Have a good day and really try to enjoy life.
> Allan

Couldn't if he tried, he is so full of hate it drips out of his posts.
Shellie is probably a welfare baby who is hoping that if these folks
went away, he could get a bigger check.

jim