modom

Default Update and a recipe from New Orleans

Katrina/Odom update: My mom reported yesterday that only two family
members remain at their house in that evil storm's wake. Uncle Leon
and Aunt Elaine were able to return to their house in Covington.
Terrell was able to visit his house in Metairie today, but I've not
heard what he found. Likely he'll be staying with Leon and Elaine for
some time. Mom also reported that the guests scrubbed her house clean
before leaving. "You don't have to do that." "Yes, we do."

Yesterday, I dropped some Patrick O'Brian novels and a set of dominoes
off for the 50 folks who fled Katrina all the way to Cow Hill.

From http://www.gumbopages.com/
The first person narrator below is not modom. I was just thinking
about what we have lost.

CRABMEAT MAISON

This is one of the most popular appetizers at the venerable French
Quarter restaurant Galatoire's. It's a personal favorite of mine as
well, and one that I simply can't resist getting whenever I dine there
('cause ... well, lump crabmeat is so damned good, and it's
particularly good there, and this is a light and lovely way to dress
it; it's simple, and full of flavor). I'll stop babbling now. Get the
best lump white crabmeat you can afford. Your guests will love you for
it. While we're on the subject, BE CAREFUL when you're folding the
crabmeat into the other ingredients. The reason you just spent a
fortune on this stuff is the big, beautiful lumps, so don't break them
up! I see people shredding gorgeous lump crabmeat and I just wanna
smack 'em.
In most restaurants this dish is called "Crabmeat Ravigote", but
Galatoire's -- accustomed to doing things in their own way -- already
have a different dish by that name, so they call their ravigote
"Crabmeat Maison". Confused? Me too. Don't worry about it. Just eat
it.

For the Maison dressing:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Creole mustard (you may substitute Dijon, or a course,
seeded country-style mustard)
1-1/2 cups high quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

1/2 cup real mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Maison dressing
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon small capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 pound lump crabmeat
12 large leaves butter lettuce
12 slices tomato (Creole, if you got ' em)
Lemons
To make the Maison dressing, combine vinegar and mustard. Slowly whisk
in olive oil, a little at a time, to form an emulsion. Season with
salt and pepper.
Mix together mayonnaise, Maison dressing, green onions, capers and
parsley. Gently fold in the crabmeat, making sure you don't break up
any of the lumps -- the key to making this dish truly wonderful).

Divide into six equal portions and serve on a bed of butter lettuce,
with two slices of tomato and a squeeze from a wedge of lemon just
before serving.

YIELD: 6 servings

modom
Becca

modom wrote:

> Mom also reported that the guests scrubbed her house clean
> before leaving. "You don't have to do that." "Yes, we do."

Yeah, that is one of thouse Southern thangs. LOL Glad your family was
able to go back home.

Becca