Default H I G H ALTITUDE.... help !!

My rice still doesn't turn out right !

We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )

I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.

Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
Baked goods are an adventure.....

Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
Hi Altitude;
Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.

I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
will turn out unpredictably.

Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
for hi-altitude kitchens ?

<rj>
JimLane

<RJ> wrote:
> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>
> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>
> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>
> <rj>

Try a high altitude cookbook. I used to be in Gunnison, CO about 7,000
feet. Wanna talk adventure? And then there are those in Leadville at
11,000 feet.

jim
Jessica V.

When we lived in Rock Springs, WY in the mid 70's mom used high
altitude cookbooks for baked goods recipes. As for adjusting the
recipes that she'd made forever she went with the information that the
university extention service offered on those adjustments. That info
is probably online these days.

Jessica

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>
> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>
> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>
> <rj>

For some stuff (such as rice, beans, potatoes, carrots) buying a
pressure cooker will solve most of your problems.

For the baked goods, we used to live at 6,000 ft. and never had a
problem, so I don't know what to say about that! :-o
--
Om.

Puester

<RJ> wrote:
> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>
> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>
> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>
> <rj>

We are in suburban Denver at 5800 feet. I usually don't
do much to modify baking, but anything that is boiled
will take longer than at sea level because water boils
at only 202 degrees here.

You will notice the greatest difference in things like
jam or candy-making, where temperature and consequent
evaporation are important to the finished product.

The best way to get informaiton is to contact your county
agriculture agent. They can usually provide you with
print-outs giving hints for your location. If you
aren't successful with that avenue, email me and I'll
see what I can find for you.

gloria p

Dan Goodman

"<RJ>" > wrote:

> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>
> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>
> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?

Chances are good that the state government publishes high altitude
cookbooks. If they don't, Montana and Colorado almost certainly do.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
JimLane

Puester wrote:
> <RJ> wrote:
>
>> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>>
>> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>>
>> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>>
>> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
>> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>>
>> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
>> Hi Altitude;
>> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
>> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
>> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
>> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>>
>> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
>> will turn out unpredictably.
>>
>> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
>> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>>
>> <rj>

> We are in suburban Denver at 5800 feet. I usually don't
> do much to modify baking, but anything that is boiled
> will take longer than at sea level because water boils
> at only 202 degrees here.
>
> You will notice the greatest difference in things like
> jam or candy-making, where temperature and consequent
> evaporation are important to the finished product.
>
> The best way to get informaiton is to contact your county
> agriculture agent. They can usually provide you with
> print-outs giving hints for your location. If you
> aren't successful with that avenue, email me and I'll
> see what I can find for you.
>
> gloria p

Lowlander! ;->

jim
sf

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:28:29 -0700, <RJ> wrote:

> My rice still doesn't turn out right !

Is it too wet or too crunchy?

> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.

I lived in Lake Tahoe (6000+ feet) for a year... and basically ignored
most high altitude directions too. Pandora is in the mountains and
Terry lived in the Denver area for a few years - so maybe they'll have
some tips for you.

> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>
> <rj>

Arri London

"" wrote:

> My rice still doesn't turn out right !
>
> We moved from Pa. ( alt 900 ft ) to Az. ( alt 4400 ft )
>
> I'd always ignored those "high altitude" directions.
>
> Now, I find so many cooked items take longer....
> Baked goods are an adventure.....
>
> Here's a typical changes for a pkg of cookie mix;
> Hi Altitude;
> Stir in an extra tbs of flour.
> Reduce oil from 4tbs to 2tbs
> Increase water from 2 tbs to 3 tbs.
> Increase baking time 3 > 4 min per batch.
>
> I'm wondering if all of my favorite baking recipes
> will turn out unpredictably.
>
> Does anyone have any "rule of thumb" hints
> for hi-altitude kitchens ?
>
> <rj>

You've already learnt most of the rules! Things take longer, may need
higher temps and because it's Arizona, need extra water.

Most baked goods will rise higher than at sea level. Reduce the amount
of leavening if it's a real problem. The only place that has mattered,
here at nearly 6000 feet, is in the breadmaker; had to reduce the yeast.
Other baked goods we don't bother changing anything.

Your dry ingredients will be drier than before. Just look at the texture
and make adjustments. There are cookbooks for high altitude if you find
you can't cope.