FATTS

Default Is onion soup hard to make?

I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
anyone have a good recipe to share?

Thanks,
Fatts
jmcquown

FATTS wrote:
> I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
> good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
> ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
> anyone have a good recipe to share?
>
> Thanks,
> Fatts

Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.

Jill

Debbie

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
| FATTS wrote:
| > I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
| > good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
| > ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
| > anyone have a good recipe to share?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Fatts
|
| Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
| stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
| Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
| cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
| Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.

Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.

Debbie

JimLane

jmcquown wrote:
> FATTS wrote:
>
>>I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
>>good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
>>ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
>>anyone have a good recipe to share?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Fatts

> Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
> stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
> Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
> cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
> Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
>
> Jill

Every time I caramelize onions, they are tender, just not water logged.
Are you not simmering to disperse the flavors?

jim
Mark Thorson

Debbie wrote:

> Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.
>
> Debbie

Red wine also works, but if you don't know
how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
It's easy to overdo it.

Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
put in much more.

Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
wine is like eggs without salt.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
FATTS > wrote:

> I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
> good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
> ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
> anyone have a good recipe to share?
>
> Thanks,
> Fatts

Here is how I do it:

Take one white, one yellow and one purple onion, peel and chop coarsly.
Sautee in butter and a little olive oil until soft and clearing well.

Add that to some pre-made (canned) beef broth. Swanson's is a good brand.

Add just a little garlic powder (not too much!) heat together for
awhile so the onion flavor can permeate the broth.

Put some in a large soup cup, add croutons to the top of the cup and
some grated meunster or jack cheese. Place under the broiler for a few
minutes until the cheese starts to brown ever so slightly and is well
melted.

Serve and enjoy! :-)

You can skip the broiler part as the cheese will often just melt with
the heat of the soup, or you can nuke it. I also don't add croutons
anymore since I'm low carbing.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> | FATTS wrote:
> | > I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
> | > good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
> | > ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
> | > anyone have a good recipe to share?
> | >
> | > Thanks,
> | > Fatts
> |
> | Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
> | stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
> | Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
> | cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
> | Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
> |
> Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.
>
> Debbie

I cook the same way. ;-)
Thanks for the sherry hint!

Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Debbie wrote:
> >
> > Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> > fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.
> >
> > Debbie

> Red wine also works, but if you don't know
> how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
> to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
> It's easy to overdo it.
>
> Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
> put in much more.
>
> Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
> wine is like eggs without salt.

Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.

Seriously!

The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
added a serious richness to the broth...
--
Om.

zxcvbob

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>

>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

>>| Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
>>| stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
>>| Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
>>| cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
>>| Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
>>|
>>Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
>>fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.
>>
>>Debbie
>>

> I cook the same way. ;-)
> Thanks for the sherry hint!
>
> Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?

I generally use vermouth when I make onion soup.

Cooking sherry would be OK if you use homemade beef stock with little or
no salt in it, but if you used canned beef broth your soup is gonna be
almost too salty already.

-Bob
D.A.Martinich

jmcquown wrote:

> Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
> stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
> Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
> cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
> Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.

As Jill states, the concept is simple. But many cooks screw it up by
trying to take shortcuts. First, you need to make a good beef stock
from scratch unless you have a source. This is where most of the
cheating takes place. Another common problem is inadequate
caramelization of the onions. For some reason many people can't deal
with the time it takes. I would also add garlic to the onions when
caramelizing and a splash of sherry near the finish. If you don't have
a salamander (lol), or, a broiler, you can use a Bernz-o-matic torch.

D.M.

Debbie

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| "Debbie" > wrote:

| > |
| > | Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or
veal
| > | stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt &
pepper.
| > | Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of
Swiss
| > | cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
| > | Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
| > |
| > Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
| > fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels
right.

| > Debbie
| >

| I cook the same way. ;-)
| Thanks for the sherry hint!
|
| Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?
| --
The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the pot and
a bit into moi! :-)

Debbie

Debbie

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| Mark Thorson > wrote:
|
| > Debbie wrote:
| > >
| > > Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
| > > fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels
right.

| > > Debbie
| >
| > Red wine also works, but if you don't know
| > how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
| > to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
| > It's easy to overdo it.
| >
| > Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
| > put in much more.
| >
| > Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
| > wine is like eggs without salt.
|
| Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
|
| Seriously!
|
| The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
| coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
| added a serious richness to the broth...
| --
I haven't done this, but I seem to remember hearing something about this
before. I will have to give it a try.

Debbie

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 06:53:31p, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>| I cook the same way. ;-)
>| Thanks for the sherry hint!
>|
>| Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry? --
> The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the pot
> and a bit into moi! :-)
>
> Debbie

Just make sure you don't get the two confused! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Debbie" > wrote:
> >

> >>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> >>fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels right.
> >>
> >>Debbie
> >>

> > I cook the same way. ;-)
> > Thanks for the sherry hint!
> >
> > Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?

> I generally use vermouth when I make onion soup.

Vermouth?
I'll have to try that.
I have some vermouth out in the hobart that my sister left here last
year, and I can't stand the stuff. (I'm not a martini person. ;-) )

> Cooking sherry would be OK if you use homemade beef stock with little or
> no salt in it, but if you used canned beef broth your soup is gonna be
> almost too salty already.

True, but the liberal addition of the onions really does cut back on
that a lot. I use 3 onions per 12 oz. can of soup!

--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> | In article >,

> | > |
> veal
> pepper.
> Swiss
> | > |
> | > Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> | > fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels
> right.
> | >
> | > Debbie
> | >

> | I cook the same way. ;-)
> | Thanks for the sherry hint!
> |
> | Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?
> | --
> The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the pot and
> a bit into moi! :-)
>
> Debbie

Now you're talkin'! <lol>
I prefer to not cook with anything I can't drink by itself!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> | In article >,
> | Mark Thorson > wrote:

> right.

> | > Red wine also works, but if you don't know
> | > how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
> | > to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
> | > It's easy to overdo it.
> | >
> | > Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
> | > put in much more.
> | >
> | > Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
> | > wine is like eggs without salt.
> |
> | Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
> |
> | Seriously!
> |
> | The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
> | coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
> | added a serious richness to the broth...
> | --
> I haven't done this, but I seem to remember hearing something about this
> before. I will have to give it a try.
>
> Debbie

Be sure to post your results! :-)
It's a great use for "leftover" coffee in the coffee maker if you don't
want to re-heat it or make iced coffee.

Cheers!
--
Om.

jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
>> Debbie wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good
>>> to fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it
>>> feels right.
>>>
>>> Debbie

>> Red wine also works, but if you don't know
>> how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
>> to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
>> It's easy to overdo it.
>>
>> Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
>> put in much more.
>>
>> Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
>> wine is like eggs without salt.

> Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
>
> Seriously!
>
> The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
> coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
> added a serious richness to the broth...

That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 07:36:59p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Mark Thorson > wrote:

>>> Red wine also works, but if you don't know
>>> how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
>>> to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
>>> It's easy to overdo it.
>>>
>>> Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
>>> put in much more.
>>>
>>> Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without wine is like eggs
>>> without salt.

>> Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
>>
>> Seriously!
>>
>> The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
>> coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
>> added a serious richness to the broth...

> That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!

Well, not exactly, Jill. red-eye gravy is made with the fat from country
ham, as well as the coffee. It's the droplets of ham fat that makes the
"red eyes". Anything else is just gravy made with coffee. Not a bad
thing, but not red-eye gravy either.

Recipes for beef roast made with coffee abound. The coffee really does add
another dimension to the flavor. I quite like it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Debbie

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
| On Fri 02 Sep 2005 06:53:31p, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
|

| > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
| >| I cook the same way. ;-)
| >| Thanks for the sherry hint!
| >|
| >| Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry? --
| > The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the pot
| > and a bit into moi! :-)
| >
| > Debbie
|
| Just make sure you don't get the two confused! :-)

:-)

Debbie

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 02 Sep 2005 09:40:51p, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>| >|
>| > The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the

pot
>| > and a bit into moi! :-)
>| >
>| > Debbie
>|
>| Just make sure you don't get the two confused! :-)
>|

>:-)
>
> Debbie

When I make Beef, Barley, & Mushroom Soup, I deglaze the pan with sherry
after browning the beef. I've been known to have a nip whilst doing so.
Madeira is a nice choice, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Kent

Right on, but Jill, if you really carmalize onion you must mildly saute it
for a long time, at which point it will be tender. Then add the stock and
you are pretty much finished.

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> FATTS wrote:
>> I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
>> good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
>> ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
>> anyone have a good recipe to share?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fatts

> Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
> stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
> Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
> cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
> Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
>
> Jill

jmcquown

Debbie wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> FATTS wrote:
>>> I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
>>> good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
>>> ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
>>> anyone have a good recipe to share?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Fatts

>> Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or
>> veal stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt
>> & pepper. Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with
>> slices of Swiss cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the
>> cheese is toasty. Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
>>

> Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good to
> fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it feels
> right.
>
> Debbie

Agreed. A splash of dry sherry works well with this soup.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 02 Sep 2005 09:40:51p, Debbie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >| >|

> pot

> >| Just make sure you don't get the two confused! :-)
> >|

> >:-)
> >
> > Debbie

> When I make Beef, Barley, & Mushroom Soup, I deglaze the pan with sherry
> after browning the beef. I've been known to have a nip whilst doing so.
> Madeira is a nice choice, too.

How about merlot?
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > FATTS wrote:
> >> I was in a restaurant today and had some onion soup. Man, that was
> >> good and the broth was especially good. I thought with so few
> >> ingredients in it, it must be fairly easy to make. Is it and does
> >> anyone have a good recipe to share?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Fatts

> > Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter. Pour over some hot beef or veal
> > stock and simmer until the onions are tender. Season with salt & pepper.
> > Top each bowl with croutons of fresh bread and top with slices of Swiss
> > cheese. Pass under the broiler/salamander until the cheese is toasty.
> > Serve the bowls of onion soup piping hot.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Right on, but Jill, if you really carmalize onion you must mildly saute it
> for a long time, at which point it will be tender. Then add the stock and
> you are pretty much finished.

Not that long. :-)
If you use a cast iron skillet with a tight fitting lid, the steaming
effect cuts the softening/carmelizing down to about 20 minutes tops!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> >> Red wine also works, but if you don't know
> >> how much to use, be careful. If you're not used
> >> to it, a teaspoon per serving might be enough.
> >> It's easy to overdo it.
> >>
> >> Once you're used to it, you may prefer to
> >> put in much more.
> >>
> >> Same advice applies to gravy. Gravy without
> >> wine is like eggs without salt.

> > Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
> >
> > Seriously!
> >
> > The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
> > coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
> > added a serious richness to the broth...

> That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!

Ok. ;-)
But what about using it in crock pots and pot roasts? ;-D
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 02 Sep 2005 07:36:59p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> Try gravy with a bit of coffee sometime.
> >>
> >> Seriously!
> >>
> >> The very BEST crockpot roast I ever did was made with some leftover
> >> coffee. :-d Did not taste like coffee by the time I was done, but it
> >> added a serious richness to the broth...

> > That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!

> Well, not exactly, Jill. red-eye gravy is made with the fat from country
> ham, as well as the coffee. It's the droplets of ham fat that makes the
> "red eyes". Anything else is just gravy made with coffee. Not a bad
> thing, but not red-eye gravy either.
>
> Recipes for beef roast made with coffee abound. The coffee really does add
> another dimension to the flavor. I quite like it.

It's quite amazing how really wonderful it is...

and how many people still have not heard about doing this!

That's why I brought it up. I talk about it at work and people look at
me like I'm nuts or something.

<sigh>

No spirit of adventure I guess.

It's amazing what I've discovered about food since I started low carbing.
My tastes have expanded and I've gotten to be a LOT braver!
Not quite sure why. It's kind weird.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Sep 2005 11:42:17a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> When I make Beef, Barley, & Mushroom Soup, I deglaze the pan with sherry
>> after browning the beef. I've been known to have a nip whilst doing so.
>> Madeira is a nice choice, too.

> How about merlot?

Personally I wouldn't, although I like merlot. It would have a "beef
burgundy" sort of taste (nothing wrong with that), but that's not what I'm
after. Sherry and madeira are both fortified wines with totally different
characteristics.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Sep 2005 11:49:38a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!
>>

> Ok. ;-)
> But what about using it in crock pots and pot roasts? ;-D

You're right, it would not be red-eye gravy in that case for sure. Coffee
does give a really nice flavor to a roast, and it never tastes like coffee.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 11:49:38a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>

>>> That's red-eye gravy. Don't try to get all sneaky about it!
>>>

>> Ok. ;-)
>> But what about using it in crock pots and pot roasts? ;-D

> You're right, it would not be red-eye gravy in that case for sure.
> Coffee does give a really nice flavor to a roast, and it never tastes
> like coffee.

Isn't it funny how GREAT coffee smells but then you taste it and say... uh,
what happened? (and I happen to like good coffee!)

Jill

You can make a good soup by just boiling
some green onions in a pan of water.
Boil in salted water till the water turns
greenish. (atleast one-half hour) The
onions will be soft to eat, and the water(soup) is very good.

This is just a simple soup and very
easy to make, and is filling.

charles in michigan

text="white"></html>

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Sep 2005 12:16:42p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Isn't it funny how GREAT coffee smells but then you taste it and say...
> uh, what happened? (and I happen to like good coffee!)
>
> Jill

You're right... Even some rather bad coffee often smells wonderful. In
the past several years I've grown to not care much for hot coffee, but I
really enjoy iced coffee with cream, and have it every morning. I brew a
pot of fairly strong coffee, then refrigerate. I mix coffee and cream and
pour over ice in a huge commuter cup for my morning drive to work. One
pot last several mornings and the flavor remains good. I think the trick
is to turn off the hotplate, then cool and chill the coffee immediately.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
jmcquown

Debbie wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Adding a bit of sherry to the broth when cooking turns it from good
>>> to fabulous! :-) Don't ask how much sherry.. I just add until it
>>> feels right.
>>>
>>> Debbie
>>>

>> I cook the same way. ;-)
>> Thanks for the sherry hint!
>>
>> Do you use real sherry or <shudder> Cooking sherry?
>> --

> The real thing.. then I have a nip while I am at it. A bit into the
> pot and a bit into moi! :-)
>
> Debbie

That's my kind of cooking!

Jill

FATTS

>>> Very easy. Carmelize onions in butter.

Is there a particular onion that is best to use?

Thanks,
Fatts
Mr Libido Incognito

FATTS wrote on 03 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Is there a particular onion that is best to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Fatts

For good onion soup you need several varities...about 5-7 cups or more of
carmelized sliced onions...yellow, sweet white,and red all mixed...other
kinds if you have access wouldn't hurt either. Beef Stock to cover by
maybe 2 to 3 inches and a good splash or 2 of sherry, wine or brandy (my
favorite). I prefer Maggi sauce to worechester sauce and several good
grindings of pepper. Both toasted rye bread or sour-dough work well with
the swiss cheese for the broiled topping. Hell, even crutons work in a
pinch.
--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 12:16:42p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> Isn't it funny how GREAT coffee smells but then you taste it and
>> say... uh, what happened? (and I happen to like good coffee!)
>>
>> Jill

> You're right... Even some rather bad coffee often smells wonderful.
> In the past several years I've grown to not care much for hot coffee,
> but I really enjoy iced coffee with cream, and have it every morning.
> I brew a pot of fairly strong coffee, then refrigerate. I mix coffee
> and cream and pour over ice in a huge commuter cup for my morning
> drive to work. One pot last several mornings and the flavor remains
> good. I think the trick is to turn off the hotplate, then cool and
> chill the coffee immediately.

I LOVE iced coffee! People at the office would stare at me for pouring a
cup, then getting a cup of ice, some cream (half & half) and walking back to
my desk. I'd let the coffee cool down, add the cream to the ice and then
slowly pour in the coffee in and stir. Yum! Guess I'm not so crazy after
all

Jill

jmcquown

FATTS wrote:

> Is there a particular onion that is best to use?
>
> Thanks,
> Fatts

Depends on your taste buds. I like vidalia (sweet) onions and I don't
really even like onions! Yellow are sweeter than white or red (purple),
which tend to be sharp tasting and/or bitter.

Jill

Mark Thorson

jmcquown wrote:

> I LOVE iced coffee! People at the office would stare at me for pouring
> a cup, then getting a cup of ice, some cream (half & half) and walking
> back to my desk. I'd let the coffee cool down, add the cream to the
> ice and then slowly pour in the coffee in and stir. Yum! Guess I'm
> not so crazy after all

I'd like to know how that last sentence follows from
the rest of the paragraph. :-)
jmcquown

Mark Thorson wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I LOVE iced coffee! People at the office would stare at me for
>> pouring a cup, then getting a cup of ice, some cream (half & half)
>> and walking back to my desk. I'd let the coffee cool down, add the
>> cream to the ice and then slowly pour in the coffee in and stir.
>> Yum! Guess I'm not so crazy after all

> I'd like to know how that last sentence follows from
> the rest of the paragraph. :-)

I make no bones about being crazy, if that's what you are inferring

Jill

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I LOVE iced coffee! People at the office would stare at me for
> >> pouring a cup, then getting a cup of ice, some cream (half & half)
> >> and walking back to my desk. I'd let the coffee cool down, add the
> >> cream to the ice and then slowly pour in the coffee in and stir.
> >> Yum! Guess I'm not so crazy after all

> > I'd like to know how that last sentence follows from
> > the rest of the paragraph. :-)

> I make no bones about being crazy, if that's what you are inferring
>
> Jill

Mark Thorazine commenting on "crazy", too funny.

Sheldon