Default Foodsaver - how long would these foods keep, and how would I reheat them?

I have been considering getting one of these Foodsavers (the $199 model
with lots of goodies) to see if it would help save us some time and
money. I have lots of time, and would not mind cooking all day for 2
or 3 days if I could to make sure I had enough food ready to reheat
quickly in the future. If I mainly store foods like spaghetti, pork
chops, bacon, eggs, sausage, homemade pizza slices, rice, chinese type
foods, etc, would they all keep relatively the same amount of time, and
any estimates to what this time may be? Also, when I would decide to
reheat a meal, would they all reheat the same way? Microwaving, or do
I remember seeing in the infomercial they they were boil safe?

Thanks for any information!

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have been considering getting one of these Foodsavers (the $199 model
> with lots of goodies) to see if it would help save us some time and
> money. I have lots of time, and would not mind cooking all day for 2
> or 3 days if I could to make sure I had enough food ready to reheat
> quickly in the future. If I mainly store foods like spaghetti, pork
> chops, bacon, eggs, sausage, homemade pizza slices, rice, chinese type
> foods, etc, would they all keep relatively the same amount of time, and
> any estimates to what this time may be? Also, when I would decide to
> reheat a meal, would they all reheat the same way? Microwaving, or do
> I remember seeing in the infomercial they they were boil safe?
>
> Thanks for any information!

Most foods will keep 3 to 5 times longer, sometimes even more than ju st
plaiin wrapping. I'm not sure how you'd vacuum seal eggs and reheat them
though. Pork chops would probably last a couple of weeks with no problem.
I've has vacuum sealed meat in the freezer for two years and it was as good
as the day it was cooked.

Brick

On 2-Sep-2005, wrote:

> I have been considering getting one of these Foodsavers (the $199 model
> with lots of goodies) to see if it would help save us some time and
> money. I have lots of time, and would not mind cooking all day for 2
> or 3 days if I could to make sure I had enough food ready to reheat
> quickly in the future. If I mainly store foods like spaghetti, pork
> chops, bacon, eggs, sausage, homemade pizza slices, rice, chinese type
> foods, etc, would they all keep relatively the same amount of time, and
> any estimates to what this time may be? Also, when I would decide to
> reheat a meal, would they all reheat the same way? Microwaving, or do
> I remember seeing in the infomercial they they were boil safe?
>
> Thanks for any information!

What Ed said in his post plus, FoodSaver isn't the only game in town, but
they do have the most expensive bag materials. Sorbent Systems
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html sells a comparable
priced sealer which uses much cheaper bags. I own both. I use the
foodsaver to seal containers and the SinboSealer to pack everything
else. Because of the small price, I keep my Singo (Snorkel) sealer
on the countertop and use it almost daily. I do not wash and recover
bags because I don't have a financial need to do so.

I buy 400 bags, maybe twice a year at aout $40 a whack. I buy pints
and quarts. I have larger bags on hand which I may never use. Frankly
I don't know why anybody in their right mind would cling to foodsaver
and their spin-offs except to evacuate containers.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Food Storage: Where and how long to keep your favorite foods. MummyChunk General Cooking 1 15-05-2013 03:53 AM
Reheat panini? Mike C General Cooking 5 15-03-2007 03:47 AM
Old-fashioned way to reheat food? Christine Dabney General Cooking 27 04-08-2006 08:22 PM
Whole Foods trip (long) Nancy Young General Cooking 9 23-09-2005 10:04 PM
Best Butt Yet! (But how best to reheat?) Jeff Givens Barbecue 8 05-10-2004 07:08 AM