Wayne Boatwright

Default Oven Browned Potatoes - To Parboil or Not

I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a slight
preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the interior
is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate with
some pressure.

I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato to
soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
promote the browning.

For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.

What do you do?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Chris

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
> slight
> preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the
> interior
> is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to
> penetrate with
> some pressure.
>
> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the
> potato to
> soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to
> help
> promote the browning.

I've never parboiled them, mostly because I make them when I want
something quick and easy. But I might have to try it sometime. :-)

Chris

Bronwyn

I sometimes parboil the root vegetables Wayne. Particularly if time is
short and the said vegetables are just out of the refrigerator. I
agree, the potato is fluffier,and with a crisp oven baked skin is damn
good!
Cheers
Bronwyn

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 04:59:15a, Bronwyn wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I sometimes parboil the root vegetables Wayne. Particularly if time is
> short and the said vegetables are just out of the refrigerator. I
> agree, the potato is fluffier,and with a crisp oven baked skin is damn
> good!
> Cheers
> Bronwyn

Thanks, Bronyn. Good to hear from you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
MoM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
> slight
> preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the
> interior
> is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate
> with
> some pressure.
>
> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato to
> soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
> promote the browning.
>
> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>
> What do you do?

I don't really have a recipe for this, I just do it. I peel and cut the
potatoes and try and keep them all roughly the same size.
I par-boil them about 10 minutes. Drain and then shake them in the pot to
rough up the surface.

While doing this I preheat bacon fat in a shallow pan to almost smoking.

Put the potatoes in the hot fat using tongs because you don't want to splash
that hot fat.

Turn all the potatoes to coat in fat.

Return to oven that is at about 425 degrees.

Roast until nice and brown and a knife pierces easily.

MoM

Dimitri

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a slight
> preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the interior
> is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate with
> some pressure.
>
> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato to
> soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
> promote the browning.
>
> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>
> What do you do?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Nuke them for a short period.

Dimitri

Dee Randall

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>> slight
>> preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the
>> interior
>> is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate
>> with
>> some pressure.
>>
>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato
>> soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
>> promote the browning.
>>
>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>
>> What do you do?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Nuke them for a short period.
>
> Dimitri

I just scrub off small red potatoes, cut them in two pieces, put some oil
in a small container (with or without herbs), swish them around, put them on
a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake at 425F until done.
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 07:00:21a, MoM wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>> slight preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems
>> the interior is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife
>> to penetrate with some pressure.
>>
>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato
>> to soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to
>> help promote the browning.
>>
>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>
>> What do you do?
>>

> I don't really have a recipe for this, I just do it. I peel and cut the
> potatoes and try and keep them all roughly the same size.
> I par-boil them about 10 minutes. Drain and then shake them in the pot
> to rough up the surface.
>
> While doing this I preheat bacon fat in a shallow pan to almost smoking.
>
> Put the potatoes in the hot fat using tongs because you don't want to
> splash that hot fat.
>
> Turn all the potatoes to coat in fat.
>
> Return to oven that is at about 425 degrees.
>
> Roast until nice and brown and a knife pierces easily.
>
> MoM

That's pretty much the method I use, Helen, but I hadn't thought of bacon
fat. I've got to try that! Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 07:15:04a, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>> slight preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems
>> the interior is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife
>> to penetrate with some pressure.
>>
>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato
>> to soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to
>> help promote the browning.
>>
>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>
>> What do you do?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Nuke them for a short period.
>
> Dimitri

If I'm in a hurry, I sometimes do that with bakers before putting them in
the oven. Hadn't thought of doing it with oven-browned. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 07:35:41a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>>> slight preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems
>>> the interior is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp
>>> knife to penetrate with some pressure.
>>>
>>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the
>>> potato to soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is
>>> supposed to help promote the browning.
>>>
>>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>>
>>> What do you do?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

>> Nuke them for a short period.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I just scrub off small red potatoes, cut them in two pieces, put some
> oil in a small container (with or without herbs), swish them around, put
> them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake at 425F until
> done. Dee Dee

I've never used the small red's before for this type of cooking. I'll have
to give it a try. Thanks, Dee.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Sarah

I've taken to nuking them in a micro steamer first. My hubby prefers
potatoes cut into slices (about 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick) nuked then when
they're just short of being cooked rubbing with olive oil and salt and
pepper, and blasting in the convection oven until they're almost cremated!
The potatoes don't break up as much as when boiled, but still fluff up and
give the crispy outside.
They really are adictive, we usually have them with pork fillet and sage and
onion stuffing, roast onions, some steamed carrots and broccoli, and lots of
gravy made from the pan juices from the pork and onions. But I always eat
way too much and have to sit with my waist band undone for the rest of the
evening!
Sarah

Lisa Smith

"MoM" > wrote in message
news:1125496808.1a640f0adb1caef9bd7379fbb4766286@t eranews...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
> > slight
> > preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the
> > interior
> > is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate
> > with
> > some pressure.
> >
> > I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato

> > soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
> > promote the browning.
> >
> > For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
> > seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
> >
> > What do you do?
> >

> I don't really have a recipe for this, I just do it. I peel and cut the
> potatoes and try and keep them all roughly the same size.
> I par-boil them about 10 minutes. Drain and then shake them in the pot to
> rough up the surface.
>
> While doing this I preheat bacon fat in a shallow pan to almost smoking.
>
> Put the potatoes in the hot fat using tongs because you don't want to

splash
> that hot fat.
>
> Turn all the potatoes to coat in fat.
>
> Return to oven that is at about 425 degrees.
>
> Roast until nice and brown and a knife pierces easily.
>
> MoM

This is the method I use. I also always leave the skins on, I love the
texture of the roasted skin with the texture of the roasted potato. I like
them seasoned with salt and pepper and chopped fresh rosemary

Lisa aka Pagemaster

MoM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 31 Aug 2005 07:00:21a, MoM wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>>> slight preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems
>>> the interior is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife
>>> to penetrate with some pressure.
>>>
>>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato
>>> to soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to
>>> help promote the browning.
>>>
>>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>>
>>> What do you do?
>>>

>> I don't really have a recipe for this, I just do it. I peel and cut the
>> potatoes and try and keep them all roughly the same size.
>> I par-boil them about 10 minutes. Drain and then shake them in the pot
>> to rough up the surface.
>>
>> While doing this I preheat bacon fat in a shallow pan to almost smoking.
>>
>> Put the potatoes in the hot fat using tongs because you don't want to
>> splash that hot fat.
>>
>> Turn all the potatoes to coat in fat.
>>
>> Return to oven that is at about 425 degrees.
>>
>> Roast until nice and brown and a knife pierces easily.
>>
>> MoM

> That's pretty much the method I use, Helen, but I hadn't thought of bacon
> fat. I've got to try that! Thanks...
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Great old English trick.

MoM

MoM

"Lisa Smith" > wrote in message

> "MoM" > wrote in message
> news:1125496808.1a640f0adb1caef9bd7379fbb4766286@t eranews...
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>> > slight
>> > preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the
>> > interior
>> > is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate
>> > with
>> > some pressure.
>> >
>> > I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato

>> > soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
>> > promote the browning.
>> >
>> > For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>> > seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>> >
>> > What do you do?
>> >

>> I don't really have a recipe for this, I just do it. I peel and cut the
>> potatoes and try and keep them all roughly the same size.
>> I par-boil them about 10 minutes. Drain and then shake them in the pot
>> rough up the surface.
>>
>> While doing this I preheat bacon fat in a shallow pan to almost smoking.
>>
>> Put the potatoes in the hot fat using tongs because you don't want to

> splash
>> that hot fat.
>>
>> Turn all the potatoes to coat in fat.
>>
>> Return to oven that is at about 425 degrees.
>>
>> Roast until nice and brown and a knife pierces easily.
>>
>> MoM

> This is the method I use. I also always leave the skins on, I love the
> texture of the roasted skin with the texture of the roasted potato. I like
> them seasoned with salt and pepper and chopped fresh rosemary
>
> Lisa aka Pagemaster

It's an English way. I skip the rosemary. I've tried it on a few things
and I really don't like the flavour.

MoM

Brick

On 31-Aug-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a slight
> preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems the interior
> is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife to penetrate with
> some pressure.
>
> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato to
> soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to help
> promote the browning.
>
> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>
> What do you do?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I swear that I did not copy anyone else's method, but I do mine exactly
like you do. For oven roast, I like new potatoes, little red potatoes, or
Yukon gold. I like a large enough dice ~3/4" to get a decent sized bite
with one piece. I use my 'house' spice, which is nothing more then a
reduced salt 'Essence' much of the time with some Mrs Dash or
McCormick's blend from time to time. Butter and EVOO is a must. I
roast at 400° to 450°. If I'm way late getting started, I skip the parboil.
Oh yeh, I mix a little flour in with the spice mix to promote browning.
YMMV.
--
The Brick said that (Variety is the spice of life.)

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 10:55:06a, Sarah wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've taken to nuking them in a micro steamer first. My hubby prefers
> potatoes cut into slices (about 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick) nuked then when
> they're just short of being cooked rubbing with olive oil and salt and
> pepper, and blasting in the convection oven until they're almost
> cremated! The potatoes don't break up as much as when boiled, but still
> fluff up and give the crispy outside.
> They really are adictive, we usually have them with pork fillet and sage
> and onion stuffing, roast onions, some steamed carrots and broccoli, and
> lots of gravy made from the pan juices from the pork and onions. But I
> always eat way too much and have to sit with my waist band undone for
> the rest of the evening!
> Sarah

I'll have to steaming them instead of boiling. I never thought of it.

Thanks, Sarah.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 12:15:39p, Brick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 31-Aug-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I've made them both ways and they're both good, but I think I have a
>> slight preference for parboiling the potatoes before roasting. Seems
>> the interior is fluffier. I only parboil long enough for a sharp knife
>> to penetrate with some pressure.
>>
>> I read somewhere that parboiling allows the outer surface of the potato
>> to soften enough to have a "roughed up" surface, which is supposed to
>> help promote the browning.
>>
>> For either method, before roasting I coat the potatoes with various
>> seasonings and herbs, and a mixture of butter and olive oil.
>>
>> What do you do?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I swear that I did not copy anyone else's method, but I do mine exactly
> like you do. For oven roast, I like new potatoes, little red potatoes,
> or Yukon gold. I like a large enough dice ~3/4" to get a decent sized
> bite with one piece. I use my 'house' spice, which is nothing more then
> a reduced salt 'Essence' much of the time with some Mrs Dash or
> McCormick's blend from time to time. Butter and EVOO is a must. I
> roast at 400° to 450°. If I'm way late getting started, I skip the
> parboil. Oh yeh, I mix a little flour in with the spice mix to promote
> browning. YMMV.

Hmm... I hadn't thought of the flour. Must give that a try.

Thanks, Brick.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Bronwyn

The small reds are good too -- particularly with roast pork, half cut
through and fresh bay leaf wedged in the cut. Delish!

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 08:44:45p, Bronwyn wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The small reds are good too -- particularly with roast pork, half cut
> through and fresh bay leaf wedged in the cut. Delish!

Umm... I'll have to try that! My local farmer's market always has fresh
herbs, including bay leaves. Sounds so good!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Dimitri

"Bronwyn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The small reds are good too -- particularly with roast pork, half cut
> through and fresh bay leaf wedged in the cut. Delish!

Tossed with melted butter and roasted garlic paste.

Dimitri

Brick

On 31-Aug-2005, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

<snip> a whole bunch

> I just scrub off small red potatoes, cut them in two pieces, put some oil
> in a small container (with or without herbs), swish them around, put them on
> a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake at 425F until done.
> Dee Dee

What Dee Dee said, but size of pieces varies with my mood at the timel
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Ken Knecht

"Brick" > wrote in
:

>> I just scrub off small red potatoes, cut them in two pieces, put
>> some oil in a small container (with or without herbs), swish them
>> around, put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake
>> at 425F until done. Dee Dee

About how long does that take? Maybe a half hour?

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."

Will Rogers