Jeneen Sommers

Default hand mixer frustration

I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
that actually has a low setting? Something I might
use to cream butter and sugar, for example?

Thanks -

Jeneen
itsjoannotjoann

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> that actually has a low setting? Something I might
> use to cream butter and sugar, for example?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen

I would think probably any little old hand mixer than can be picked up
at Wal Mart, Target, K Mart, etc. would do the job for creaming butter
& sugar. Silly question, but have you thought about a deeper bowl when
using your Kitchenaid hand mixer?

Sheldon

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> that actually has a low setting?

There's something malfunctioning with your mixer, I have the
7-speed model and it works great, the lowest speed is fairly slow.

> Something I might use to cream butter and sugar, for example?

For creaming you need the highest speed.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . EDU>,
Jeneen Sommers > wrote:

> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> that actually has a low setting? Something I might
> use to cream butter and sugar, for example?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen

Braun stick blender. :-)

For the other that you have, just use a deeper bowl! Even a stock pot
might work as a mixing bowl to solve the problem?

I mix butter and sugar together using a fork personally.....

Cheers!
--
Om.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I mix butter and sugar together using a fork personally...

Hmm, using a fork personally... ain't that kinda rough on your weewee?

Sheldon (thinking pubic hairs in butter cream frosting is nasty)

Jeneen Sommers

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> For the other that you have, just use a deeper bowl! Even a stock pot
> might work as a mixing bowl to solve the problem?

A stock pot?? Seriously, I don't need a deeper bowl, I need a mixer
that can run a range of speeds, including slow. Maybe Sheldon is
right and something is wrong with mine. I'll see if I can find a floor
model somewhere and test it out.

Thanks for the input!

Jeneen
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > I mix butter and sugar together using a fork personally...

> Hmm, using a fork personally... ain't that kinda rough on your weewee?
>
> Sheldon (thinking pubic hairs in butter cream frosting is nasty)

I dunno, the handle may work well on my cameltoe. ;-)

And buttercream frosting or whipping cream is classic for foreplay...

<smirk>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . EDU>,
Jeneen Sommers > wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > For the other that you have, just use a deeper bowl! Even a stock pot
> > might work as a mixing bowl to solve the problem?

> A stock pot??

We are talking serious mixing here. <grins>
Take a look at the bowl on a kitchenaid sometime.

> Seriously, I don't need a deeper bowl, I need a mixer
> that can run a range of speeds, including slow. Maybe Sheldon is
> right and something is wrong with mine. I'll see if I can find a floor
> model somewhere and test it out.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Jeneen

Maybe, I just never had that problem.
I really really like my stick blender!
I use it far more than the rotary mixer.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article . EDU>,
> Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
>
> > I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> > I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> > even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> > used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> > gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> > that actually has a low setting? Something I might
> > use to cream butter and sugar, for example?
> >
> > Thanks -
> >
> > Jeneen

> Braun stick blender. :-)

A stick blender is still a blender, it's not a mixer.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article . EDU>,
> > Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> > > I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> > > even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> > > used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> > > gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> > > that actually has a low setting? Something I might
> > > use to cream butter and sugar, for example?
> > >
> > > Thanks -
> > >
> > > Jeneen

> > Braun stick blender. :-)

> A stick blender is still a blender, it's not a mixer.
>
> Sheldon

Have you ever used a stick blender sheldon?
They combine the best of both worlds.
The act as both a blender AND a mixer due to the
way they are applied.
--
Om.

pennyaline

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > Hmm, using a fork personally... ain't that kinda rough on your weewee?

> I dunno, the handle may work well on my cameltoe. ;-)
>
> And buttercream frosting or whipping cream is classic for foreplay...
>
> <smirk>

So, how many sets of Kegel's do you do every day, to enable you to hold onto
that fork?

<...the tools AND the technology>

pennyaline

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Maybe, I just never had that problem.
> I really really like my stick blender!
> I use it far more than the rotary mixer.

Wait a minute! Are you using a fork or a stick??

<an in what positions?>

Chris

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ord.EDU...

> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast.

Really? That's strange. I have a Kitchenaid ClassiPlus 5 Speed hand
mixer (I think that's what it's called). It definitely has a low
setting. There may be something wrong with your mixer -- I hope it's
still under warranty!

Chris

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"pennyaline" <nsmitchell@spamspamspamspamspamspamspameggandspam .com>
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > > Hmm, using a fork personally... ain't that kinda rough on your weewee?

> > I dunno, the handle may work well on my cameltoe. ;-)
> >
> > And buttercream frosting or whipping cream is classic for foreplay...
> >
> > <smirk>

> So, how many sets of Kegel's do you do every day, to enable you to hold onto
> that fork?
>
> <...the tools AND the technology>

3 sets of 30........
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Maybe, I just never had that problem.
> > I really really like my stick blender!
> > I use it far more than the rotary mixer.

> Wait a minute! Are you using a fork or a stick??
>
> <an in what positions?>

Depends on what day of the week!
--
Om.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > Braun stick blender. :-)

> > A stick blender is still a blender, it's not a mixer.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Have you ever used a stick blender sheldon?

Yes, I have one.

> They combine the best of both worlds.
> The act as both a blender AND a mixer due to the
> way they are applied.

Nonsense! It's a blender... has *blades*, not beaters... and they're
way too fast for mixing. A stick blender is no different from a
standard blender but you supply the container.

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ord.EDU...

> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
> that actually has a low setting? Something I might
> use to cream butter and sugar, for example?

We have that mixer and it is fairly slow on low. Check it out to see if it
is not working properly.

Hoges in WA

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ord.EDU...

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> For the other that you have, just use a deeper bowl! Even a stock pot
>> might work as a mixing bowl to solve the problem?

> A stock pot?? Seriously, I don't need a deeper bowl, I need a mixer
> that can run a range of speeds, including slow. Maybe Sheldon is
> right and something is wrong with mine. I'll see if I can find a floor
> model somewhere and test it out.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Jeneen

I used mine the night before last on a chocolate pudding and had the same
problem as you.
I had another before this one of indeterminate origin which also was no
different in gearing.
The one I have now was a freebie with my stand mixer a few years back so I
guess I can't bitch about it.

Hoges in WA

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > A stick blender is still a blender, it's not a mixer.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > Have you ever used a stick blender sheldon?

> Yes, I have one.
>
> > They combine the best of both worlds.
> > The act as both a blender AND a mixer due to the
> > way they are applied.

> Nonsense! It's a blender... has *blades*, not beaters... and they're
> way too fast for mixing. A stick blender is no different from a
> standard blender but you supply the container.
>
> Sheldon

It's _much_ easier to use and to clean up...... ;-)
--
Om.

Brick

I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
gets flung out of the bowl. Is there a hand mixer
that actually has a low setting? Something I might
use to cream butter and sugar, for example?

Thanks -

Jeneen

Something's wrong Jeneen. The slow speed on my KA is really quite
slow indeed. Only the highest speeds are fast enough to whip egg
whites. Granted I don't have the Ultra Power, but the difference is more
a matter of sheer power and perhaps construction quality then of
features or performance.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

Oops. Mine is a stand mixer, but nevertheless, that doesn't sound like
Kitchen Aid performance.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Victor Sack

Jeneen Sommers > wrote:

> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand mixer.
> I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because
> even that is _insanely_ fast. The only thing I've
> used it for is whipping egg whites...anything else
> gets flung out of the bowl.

Stupid question: Are you plugging it in the outlet with the voltage
actually corresponding to the mixer, e.g. 110 V typically required for
small appliances in the USA? I understand that at least some US
kitchens also have 240 V outlets necessary for some appliances....

Victor
Nancy Young

"Victor Sack" > wrote

> Stupid question: Are you plugging it in the outlet with the voltage
> actually corresponding to the mixer, e.g. 110 V typically required for
> small appliances in the USA? I understand that at least some US
> kitchens also have 240 V outlets necessary for some appliances....

The 240V outlets are configured quite differently from a
regular outlet. You couldn't make that mistake. I'm sure
some electrician type will correct me if I'm wrong.

nancy

Max Hauser

"Victor Sack" in .. .
> Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
>
>> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand
>> mixer. I've only ever used the lowest speed on
>> it because even that is _insanely_ fast. ...

> Stupid question: Are you plugging it in the outlet with the voltage
> actually corresponding to the mixer, e.g. 110 V typically required for
> small appliances in the USA? I understand that at least some US
> kitchens also have 240 V outlets necessary for some appliances....

Yes, "220 one-phase" is used for heavier-load appliances: electric ovens,
IBM 1620 computers, &c.

A mixer or other portable appliance designed for international markets may
have a small switch to set the expected line voltage. Typically located
near the entry of the line cord (or in British English, the mains flex).

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 01:37:22a, Max Hauser wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Victor Sack" in .. .
>> Jeneen Sommers > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Kitcheniad 5-speed Ultra Power hand
>>> mixer. I've only ever used the lowest speed on it because even that
>>> is _insanely_ fast. ...

>> Stupid question: Are you plugging it in the outlet with the voltage
>> actually corresponding to the mixer, e.g. 110 V typically required for
>> small appliances in the USA? I understand that at least some US
>> kitchens also have 240 V outlets necessary for some appliances....

> Yes, "220 one-phase" is used for heavier-load appliances: electric
> ovens, IBM 1620 computers, &c.
>
> A mixer or other portable appliance designed for international markets
> may have a small switch to set the expected line voltage. Typically
> located near the entry of the line cord (or in British English, the
> mains flex).

US homes have special outlets for 220 volt appliances, usually electric
ranges and clothes dryers. Other things that run on 220 are direct wired
and have no outlet or socket. All other household outlets are 110 voltage,
and used for small appliances, lighting, etc. If the mixer has a dual
voltage switch, and if it were in the wrong (220 volt) position, it would
run more slowly than faster. The mixer could only be plugged into a 110
volt outlet, which leads to me think that something is wrong with its
control switch, since it only runs fast, or too fast.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 31 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> US homes have special outlets for 220 volt appliances, usually
> electric ranges and clothes dryers. Other things that run on 220
> are direct wired and have no outlet or socket. All other household
> outlets are 110 voltage, and used for small appliances, lighting,
> etc. If the mixer has a dual voltage switch, and if it were in the
> wrong (220 volt) position, it would run more slowly than faster.
> The mixer could only be plugged into a 110 volt outlet, which leads
> to me think that something is wrong with its control switch, since
> it only runs fast, or too fast.

Sorry Wayne but not so...Some household appliances that use 220V like
large window Air Conditioners require a female receptical. But the
openings for the male prongs are in such a configuration that you
couldn't plug a 110V appliance into them.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 02:18:05p, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 31 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> US homes have special outlets for 220 volt appliances, usually
>> electric ranges and clothes dryers. Other things that run on 220
>> are direct wired and have no outlet or socket. All other household
>> outlets are 110 voltage, and used for small appliances, lighting, etc.
>> If the mixer has a dual voltage switch, and if it were in the wrong
>> (220 volt) position, it would run more slowly than faster. The mixer
>> could only be plugged into a 110 volt outlet, which leads to me think
>> that something is wrong with its control switch, since it only runs
>> fast, or too fast.
>>

> Sorry Wayne but not so...Some household appliances that use 220V like
> large window Air Conditioners require a female receptical. But the
> openings for the male prongs are in such a configuration that you
> couldn't plug a 110V appliance into them.

Alan, I think that's basically what I said, but I forgot about 220 volt A/C
and space heaters, etc. In any case, a plug on a 110 VAC appliance will
only fit into a 110 COA socket. Right?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 31 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Alan, I think that's basically what I said, but I forgot about 220
> volt A/C and space heaters, etc. In any case, a plug on a 110 VAC
> appliance will only fit into a 110 COA socket. Right?

Correct.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Bamix hand mixer Viviane Cooking Equipment 0 12-03-2011 02:54 AM
Oreck® Vertical Hand Mixer [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-05-2009 01:19 PM
FS: Hand Crank Dough Mixer Jim Baking 0 23-07-2006 01:39 PM
ciabatta bread without mixer, by hand? [email protected] General Cooking 5 21-05-2006 02:51 AM
Hand blender vs. hand mixer abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.sing Baking 2 08-12-2005 01:57 PM