Martee

Default Apples Apples every where!

Neighbor Bob dropped off another bag of apples (about 5 lbs) along with
another tomato this morning.

Anyone have some easyish apple ideas? So far I have made Apple sauce,
baked apples and 2 pans of apple crisp using Splenda from a recipe i found
on the Splenda web site from Gale Gand She made an apple/Pear crisp. I just
used more apples and no pears. After a tweek in the oven temp, I have that
one down.

Looking more for apple quick bread or muffin ideas that I can freeze. Just
Mom and myself and she cant chew raw apples.
We are both diabetic so recipes using splenda or a splenda/sugar combo
appreciated but regular recipes are more then welcome also.
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Martee > wrote:

> Neighbor Bob dropped off another bag of apples (about 5 lbs) along with
> another tomato this morning.
>
> Anyone have some easyish apple ideas? So far I have made Apple sauce,
> baked apples and 2 pans of apple crisp using Splenda from a recipe i found
> on the Splenda web site from Gale Gand She made an apple/Pear crisp. I just
> used more apples and no pears. After a tweek in the oven temp, I have that
> one down.
>
> Looking more for apple quick bread or muffin ideas that I can freeze. Just
> Mom and myself and she cant chew raw apples.
> We are both diabetic so recipes using splenda or a splenda/sugar combo
> appreciated but regular recipes are more then welcome also.

Last night I got two grocery bags of apples from my folks tree, so I
know what you mean. I usually dry them as my family loves them for
snacking. I peel and slice the apples and dip them in unsweetened
pineapple juice to prevent browning. I dry them in a dehydrator, but
you can put them on a cake rack in a low oven to dry as well.

Here's a quick bread recipe, but you'll have to adjust it to use splenda.

Fresh Apple Quick Bread

INGREDIENTS:
? 1/2 cup butter, softened
? 1 cup sugar
? 1 egg
? 1 cup peeled, chopped apples
? 1/2 cup chopped pecans
? 2-1/2 cups flour
? 1 tsp. baking soda
? 1/4 tsp. salt
? 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
? 1/2 cup buttermilk

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl
and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until blended. Add
chopped apples and pecans. Mix together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon
and add alternately with the buttermilk to the apple mixture.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5 baking pan. Bake at 350
degrees for 50-60 minutes until bread tests done with a toothpick.

marcella
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Martee > wrote:

> Neighbor Bob dropped off another bag of apples (about 5 lbs) along with
> another tomato this morning.
>
> Anyone have some easyish apple ideas? So far I have made Apple sauce,
> baked apples and 2 pans of apple crisp using Splenda from a recipe i found
> on the Splenda web site from Gale Gand She made an apple/Pear crisp. I just
> used more apples and no pears. After a tweek in the oven temp, I have that
> one down.
>
> Looking more for apple quick bread or muffin ideas that I can freeze. Just
> Mom and myself and she cant chew raw apples.
> We are both diabetic so recipes using splenda or a splenda/sugar combo
> appreciated but regular recipes are more then welcome also.

Do you have a dehydrator?
Dried apple makes a yummy snack food. :-d
--
Om.

Damsel in dis Dress

Martee > said:

> Neighbor Bob dropped off another bag of apples (about 5 lbs) along with
> another tomato this morning.
>
> Anyone have some easyish apple ideas?
>
> Looking more for apple quick bread or muffin ideas that I can freeze. Just
> Mom and myself and she cant chew raw apples.
> We are both diabetic so recipes using splenda or a splenda/sugar combo
> appreciated but regular recipes are more then welcome also.

Cook and freeze the filling for my mom's sour cream apple pie. Splenda is
fine for sweetening. I've done this with her sour cream rhubarb pie
filling with success. Both recipes follow.

Carol, fellow diabetic

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fruits pies/pastry

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds peeled apple slices

1. Combine first five (dry) ingredients.
2. Cover bottom of unbaked pie shell with 1/4 of mixture.
3. Stir remaining mixture into sour cream.
4. Slice apples 1/8-inch thick, and stir into sour cream mixture..
5. Place mixture into pie shell and cover with top pastry. Let rest 10
minutes.
6. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
7. Bake at 450F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325F, and bake about 45
minutes, or until apples are done.
8. IMPORTANT: Cool 3 to 4 hours on rack before cutting.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"Pat Zastera"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie

Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies

1 9 inch pie shell
1 rhubarb - to fill shell -- 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pint strawberries -- unsweetened

1. Fill 9-inch pie crust with rhubarb (and strawberries if desired).
2. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over fruit.
3. Bake 40-50 minutes; top with Meringue, and bake for additional 10
minutes.

Note: This will make a 10-inch pie, if the rhubarb is cut fine.

Source:
"Pat Zastera"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
http://tinyurl.com/9hjxt
Chris

"Martee" > wrote in message
.. .
> Neighbor Bob dropped off another bag of apples (about 5 lbs) along
> with
> another tomato this morning.

Apples already! Hooray for Neighbor Bob. I can't wait for apple
season!

> Anyone have some easyish apple ideas?

The following recipe is *wonderful* and beats the pants off of plain old
applesauce, if you ask me. It was in the Washington Post last year:

Roasted Mashed Apple-Pear Sauce.

8 apples (McIntosh are suggestd), peeled, cored and quartered
4 almost ripe pears (Bosc are suggested), peeled, cored and quartered
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup granulated sugar (or some maple syrup...I'm sure Splenda would
work, but you'd need to reduce the amount)
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, w/ oven rack in middle position.

In large roasting pan or casserole, toss the apples, pears, butter,
sugar and salt together. Cover tightly with foil. Roast for 25
minutes, uncovering to stir once or twice (no big deal if you forget,
though).

Uncover the pan and roast for another 5-10 minutes, until fruit feels
quite tender when pierced w/ sharp knife.

Remove pan from oven and use a potato masher to mash fruit to desired
consistency (I like it slightly chunky).

> Looking more for apple quick bread or muffin ideas that I can freeze.
> Just
> Mom and myself and she cant chew raw apples.
> We are both diabetic so recipes using splenda or a splenda/sugar combo
> appreciated but regular recipes are more then welcome also.

But here's a simple, but very yummy, apple-walnut cake that's so easy to
make. I have made this w/ Splenda and with white whole wheat flour
subbed for 1/4 of the white flour and it turns out just wonderfully.
Very moist. I have used other kinds of apples besides Granny Smith, and
they all work fine.

APPLE-WALNUT CAKE from Bon Appetit via epicurious.com

2 cups diced peeled tart green apples (such as Granny Smith; about 1 1/2
large)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Mix diced
apples, sugar, butter and egg in large bowl to blend. Sift flour,
cinnamon, baking soda and salt over. Add chopped walnuts; mix
thoroughly. Transfer mixture to prepared pan.

Bake until cake is brown and crusty on top and tester inserted into
center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.

Serves 12.
Bon Appétit
February 1996
Sandra Rudloff: Los Altos, California

And here's Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes, from Gourmet magazine:

1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed grated peeled Granny Smith apple, excess juice
squeezed out
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for brushing the griddle
maple syrup as an accompaniment

In a bowl whisk together 1 cup of the buttermilk and the oats and let
the mixture stand for 15 minutes. In a large bowl whisk together the
egg, the brown sugar, and the apple. Stir in the flours, the baking
soda, the salt, the cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of the oil, the oats
mixture, and the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk and combine the batter
well. Heat a griddle over moderate heat until it is hot enough to make
drops of water scatter over its surface, brush it with the additional
oil, and drop the batter by half-filled 1/4-cup measures onto it. Cook
the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden
and cooked through. Serve the pancakes with syrup.

Makes twelve-4-inch pancakes, serving 2.
Gourmet
September 1990

Here are my comments on the recipe in my review on epicurious.com:

Definitely awesome pancakes! We didn't have any quick oats, so I pulsed
some regular oatmeal in the blender until I had 2/3 a cup of oatmeal
that was powdery, yet still had some whole flakes in it. Also, I use 8T
white whole wheat flour plus 4T. white AP flour. We didn't measure the
apple, just grated it over the batter (the kids were hungry, and we had
already waited for the oatmeal to soak!). My picky kids loved these
healthy pancakes!! So did I!

apples Somebody General Cooking 15 25-09-2012 09:50 PM
bad apples RichD General Cooking 0 21-04-2012 12:18 AM
Apples The Cook General Cooking 7 25-10-2006 06:11 PM
Red apples, rosy apples... Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 06:24 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM