Dee Randall

Default Panera's Vegetarian Roasted Tomato & Pepper Bisque

Last week I had this soup two days in a row. I almost never eat soup in
restaurants and my stomach was kinda puny and I found it quite good. Has
anyone ever tried this bisque at Panera Bread
http://www.panerabread.com/familynut...x?familyid=187

I've categorized the ingredients to try to get a handle on how I might get a
facsimile -- I have googled it but have found only two faux Panera soup
recipes; not this one. So, here goes:
**
Ingredients:

Water,

red bell pepper puree,

heavy cream,

tomato sauce

(tomatoes, salt, citric acid, onion powder, garlic powder),

whole milk,

roasted tomato,

carrot,

celery,

unbleached enriched flour

(wheat flour, vitamin C

[ascorbic acid added as a dough conditioner],

enzyme added for improved baking, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine
mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid),

onion,

roasted red bell pepper,

butter

(sweet cream, annatto color added seasonally),

roasted tomato base

(roasted tomatoes and tomato paste, salt, sugar, natural flavorings and
cilantro),

roasted pepper base (roasted red bell peppers, sugar, potato flour, salt,
flavorings and corn oil),

roasted garlic,

spices,

salt,

vegetarian base

(water, salt, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, soy protein concentrate, corn
oil, onion powder, autolyzed yeast extract, flavoring, soy protein isolate,
sugar, garlic powder, and turmeric),

chipotle base

(red chili peppers, chipotle peppers, salt and flavoring [natural liquid
smoke flavorings]), cayenne pepper sauce (aged cayenne red peppers, vinegar,
salt, garlic),

modified corn starch.

**

I could make some red bell pepper puree out of some canned red bell peppers.

I could make the tomato sauce

I could roast some Italian pear tomatoes (or use some sun dried tomatoes?)

I could open a can of roasted bell peppers (without vinegar)

I'm not sure what I would use for roasted tomato base - this is probably a
concentrate

I'm not sure what I would use for roasted red pepper base - this is probably
a concentrate

As far as 'spices' it looked like a lot of 'oregano' or 'cilantro' or
'tarragon' added.

I have 'vegetarian base.'

I would use chipotle in adobe sauce.

Perhaps I'd better go to Panera and bring some home and freeze. Might be
more cost-effective. It's going to be tough!

Dee Dee