FoodBanter.com

-   -   Two Fat Ladies, Sandwich recipe (vegatarian? While in Wales?) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/68271-two-fat-ladies-sandwich.html)

[email protected] 22-08-2005 05:16 PM

Two Fat Ladies, Sandwich recipe (vegatarian? While in Wales?)

Looking for the recipe for a sandwich the TFLs did (it was a longgg
one, and I believe it was "pressed;" maybe just wrapped tight).
Believe they did it on the show where they visited the Welsh singers on
a hill-side; and it was vegatarian (sp?), I think. Had -- if I recall
correctly -- peppers in it...

HELP! <G>

Christopher A. Steele

ps. anybody know of a site that has archived all their recipes?

RobtE 22-08-2005 06:27 PM

wrote:
> Looking for the recipe for a sandwich the TFLs did (it was a longgg
> one, and I believe it was "pressed;" maybe just wrapped tight).
> Believe they did it on the show where they visited the Welsh singers on
> a hill-side; and it was vegatarian (sp?), I think. Had -- if I recall
> correctly -- peppers in it...
>
> HELP! <G>
>
> Christopher A. Steele
>
> ps. anybody know of a site that has archived all their recipes?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.recipezaar.com/130572

RobtE

AlleyGator 22-08-2005 08:09 PM

wrote:

>Looking for the recipe for a sandwich the TFLs did (it was a longgg
>one, and I believe it was "pressed;" maybe just wrapped tight).
>Believe they did it on the show where they visited the Welsh singers on
>a hill-side; and it was vegatarian (sp?), I think. Had -- if I recall
>correctly -- peppers in it...
>
>HELP! <G>
>
>Christopher A. Steele

TARTINE FROM PROVENCE

1 long baguette or 4 little ones
Cloves of garlic, halved
12 fine black olives, stoned
1 red pepper, sliced
Cooked French beans
2 large tomatoes, chopped
4 anchovy fillets
2 tablespoons delicious olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice or wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut the bread in half lengthways and rub the cut surfaces with garlic.
In a food processor, combine olives, red pepper, beans, tomatoes and
anchovies. Mix in the olive oil and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning.
Spread the mixture thickly over the bread and put the sides back
together again. Tie up with string and enclose in aluminum foil or
grease proof paper. Place a board on top of the parcel with a few
weights and press for 1 hour. Then off you go to your picnic.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

AlleyGator 22-08-2005 11:57 PM

wrote:
>ps. anybody know of a site that has archived all their recipes?

Actually I archived the recipes from most of their shows 1996 to 1998.
I put them in html format, as I do a lot of recipes for easy
retrieval. Unfortunately, I need to clean up the index pages (I
started this in 1996, when I was brand new to hrml design, so it looks
like a Jr. High kid did it). It isn't just TFL, its many of the
episodes of all the shows that were on during those years - back when
it was worth watching. I have most of the TFL shows recorded, but I'm
missing a few - some I never got to record and some are lost in that
great pile of unlabled VHS tapes in a box (SHAME!). Do you have
Winzip or something similar that will unzip in multiple-directory
format? If so, I can probably figure out a way to send the stuff to
you once I clean it up. It may not be quick, but I can get it to you
eventually. Now - is this copyright violation? I don't know - I
downloaded everything from their site, they all have the Food Network
copyright clearly displayed on each page, and I kept them that way. I
was sorry to just discover that Food no longer carries their shows.
That was probably one of the last shows left that was worth watching
there - it's become a complete garbage heap, IMO, and I refuse to
watch it except for rare exceptions.

[email protected] 23-08-2005 11:23 PM

RobtE wrote:

> Is this what you're looking for?
>
> http://www.recipezaar.com/130572
>
> RobtE

RobtE:

No, that's the Shooters Sandwich, and I meant -- but forgot -- to
mention that that is the sandwich for which I was NOT looking :)
But thank you, RobtE, for making the effort. (It sure does sound
good, tho, doesn't it).

Christopher

[email protected] 23-08-2005 11:42 PM

I think that's IT!
Ran a search using the sandwich name and found this site with a lot of
their recipes on it:
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ladie

As far as copyright infringement is concerned, these recipes are all
OVER the net. I couldn't find THIS recipe 'cause I was looking for a
'sandwich' and not a 'tartine.' :)

Since Foodnetwork isn't listing the TFL's recipes anymore, perhaps YOU
are the person to keep their legacy alive, eh? :)

Yes, I have WinZip, but don't want you to go to a lot of trouble, and
their is no serious time consideration here. I specifically wanted this
recipe so I could make it for a friend who is letting me stay at her
place while I find a job. (And she's a single working mother, so
deserves a good lunch!)

I loved the TFLs, and I also like Alton Brown. Is there a TFL club or
something?

THANK you, AlleyGator for the help!

[email protected] 23-08-2005 11:45 PM

BTW, my friend does not like pepper. I love it, she doesn't. Is there
another spice you can suggest I might use to 'pep up' recipes?, one
that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Christopher

AlleyGator 24-08-2005 12:12 AM

wrote:

>BTW, my friend does not like pepper. I love it, she doesn't. Is there
>another spice you can suggest I might use to 'pep up' recipes?, one
>that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>
>Christopher

Wow - I don't know how to answer that. Seems that every recipe could
be unique. Although, you can always do what I do for my daughter, the
"pepper-hater". Use white pepper and keep your mouth shut - they'll
never know <G>. She doesn't.

~patches~ 24-08-2005 12:31 AM

wrote:

> BTW, my friend does not like pepper. I love it, she doesn't. Is there
> another spice you can suggest I might use to 'pep up' recipes?, one
> that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>
> Christopher

I didn't see the actual recipe. Does your friend not like green
peppers, hot peppers, or black pepper? My DH hates the taste of
uncooked green peppers and won't touch hot peppers so if it is that I
can relate. He likes black pepper. If it is a taste your friend just
does't like make one for him/her omitting the pepper but leave it in for
your sandwich. That's the cheapest solution. If your friend wants a
little spice maybe you could use dijion or honey mustard or even miracle
whip.

[email protected] 26-08-2005 08:36 PM

Actually .... I should try that. Made some mac and cheese and was going
to do that very thing -- use white pepper and keep my mouth shut -- but
I chickened out.

BTW, do you know of a Macaroni and Cheese recipe that is really, REALLY
(!!) cheesy and stringy and ... I don't know: most of the recipes I've
seen or tried seem BLAND, ya know?

Christopher

ps. Actually, "Stouffers (sp?)" frozen comes closest -- at least its
cheesy -- but there's no stringy fun. One of the originals on FoodTV --
can't remember his name -- remarked that the best cheese for M&C was
Crackerbarrel Old English Cheddar, but I can't find it.

//cas

[email protected] 26-08-2005 08:38 PM

I thouht she didn't like black pepper (pepper corns), but I asked her
last night and she doesn't like red pappers, green peppers ... What a
bore. Think I'll make her the tartine above ANYway. The mustard idea is
great. Thanks!

//cas

nancree 26-08-2005 09:08 PM

casteel wrote:

"One of the originals on FoodTV --
can't remember his name -- remarked that the best cheese for M&C was
Crackerbarrel Old English Cheddar, but I can't find it'"
You might find it in your dairy case. It comes wrapped in red foil,
shaped like a stick of butter. It's quite good.
Regards,
Nancree