FoodBanter.com

-   -   where can i buy gelatin? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/67900-where-can-i-buy.html)

[email protected] 17-08-2005 05:53 PM

where can i buy gelatin?

where? i wanna make some jam.

sf 17-08-2005 07:21 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 09:53:39 -0700, wrote:

> where? i wanna make some jam.

Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
liquid.

[email protected] 17-08-2005 09:22 PM

: On 17 Aug 2005 09:53:39 -0700, wrote:

: > where? i wanna make some jam.

: Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
: liquid.

Or Knox. You find it in the spice/baking aisle, normally near the
canning items.

The Cook 17-08-2005 10:09 PM

wrote:

>: > where? i wanna make some jam.
>
>: Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
>: liquid.
>
>Or Knox. You find it in the spice/baking aisle, normally near the
>canning items.

You don't make jam with gelatin. You use pectin. In the US there is
Certo and Sure-Jel. They both come with directions. The liquid and
powder versions are NOT interchangeable.

MoM 17-08-2005 10:13 PM

> wrote in message
>: On 17 Aug 2005 09:53:39 -0700, wrote:
>
> : > where? i wanna make some jam.
>
> : Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
> : liquid.
>
> Or Knox. You find it in the spice/baking aisle, normally near the
> canning items.

It is not common to make jam with gelatin. What they want is fruit pectin.

MoM

kr_gentner 17-08-2005 11:34 PM

wrote:

>>: > where? i wanna make some jam.
>>
>>: Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
>>: liquid.
>>
>>Or Knox. You find it in the spice/baking aisle, normally near the
>>canning items.

> You don't make jam with gelatin. You use pectin. In the US there is
> Certo and Sure-Jel. They both come with directions. The liquid and
> powder versions are NOT interchangeable.

I've interchanged them. The directions are different for the two types of
pection but other than that the recipes are pretty much the same. Just
follow the directions for the type of pectin you're using.

Kathy

sf 18-08-2005 03:43 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:34:25 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

> I've interchanged them. The directions are different for the two types of
> pection but other than that the recipes are pretty much the same. Just
> follow the directions for the type of pectin you're using.

You're right, but there are certain recipes where they aren't
interchangable... like hot pepper jelly.

Dave Smith 18-08-2005 03:58 AM

wrote:

> where? i wanna make some jam.

You don't use gelatin. You use pectin, sold around here as
Certo. You can get liquid or crystals, and recipes come
with the product.

sf 18-08-2005 04:57 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:46:29 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:34:25 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:
> >
> >> I've interchanged them. The directions are different for the two types
> >> of
> >> pection but other than that the recipes are pretty much the same. Just
> >> follow the directions for the type of pectin you're using.

> > You're right, but there are certain recipes where they aren't
> > interchangable... like hot pepper jelly.

> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?

liquid... but I can't tell you why.

Melba's Jammin' 18-08-2005 05:04 AM

In article . com>,
wrote:

> where? i wanna make some jam.

Supermarket.
If you're truly looking for gelatin, be sure your jam recipe uses it.
Fruit pectin is most commonly used to make jam, not gelatin. Pectin
comes as powder or liquid, in boxes to make one batch (usually; one box
of liquid pectin may make two batches of jam) -- follow the recipes with
the particular kind of pectin; they are used differently and the recipes
are not interchangeable.

Good luck.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin' 18-08-2005 05:05 AM

In article <0sTMe.2588$Sj1.797@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:34:25 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:
> >
> >> I've interchanged them. The directions are different for the two
> >> types
> >> of
> >> pection but other than that the recipes are pretty much the same.
> >> Just
> >> follow the directions for the type of pectin you're using.

> > You're right, but there are certain recipes where they aren't
> > interchangable... like hot pepper jelly.

> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?
>
> Kathy

Liquid or powder. :-0) The recipes are different, Kathy, but both
forms have recipes for Pepper Jelly.

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 05:46 AM

Wayne Boatwright 18-08-2005 05:52 AM

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 10:47:59p, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article <0sTMe.2588$Sj1.797@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"
>> > wrote:

>>> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?
>>>
>>> Kathy

>> Liquid or powder. :-0) The recipes are different, Kathy, but both
>> forms have recipes for Pepper Jelly.
>> --
>> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
>> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

> I knew that, but apparently sf doesn't. My pepper jelly turned out just
> fine made with powdered pectin. As a matter of fact I changed a couple
> of other jelly and jam recipes from liquid to powder and they all turned
> out fine. You just have to use the directions for whichever one you're
> using.
>
> I need to go to the farmer's market and get some nice hot red peppers
> for a couple more batches of Apricot-Red pepper jam. It's hubby's
> favorite on peanut butter and he opened the last jar this morning.
>
> Kathy

Fresh or dried apricots?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-3, 08/17/2005
Tested on: 8/17/2005 9:47:25 PM

sf 18-08-2005 05:56 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:47:59 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article <0sTMe.2588$Sj1.797@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"
> > > wrote:

> >> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?
> >>
> >> Kathy

> > Liquid or powder. :-0) The recipes are different, Kathy, but both
> > forms have recipes for Pepper Jelly.
> > --
> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> > couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

> I knew that, but apparently sf doesn't. My pepper jelly turned out just
> fine made with powdered pectin. As a matter of fact I changed a couple of
> other jelly and jam recipes from liquid to powder and they all turned out
> fine. You just have to use the directions for whichever one you're using.
>
> I need to go to the farmer's market and get some nice hot red peppers for a
> couple more batches of Apricot-Red pepper jam. It's hubby's favorite on
> peanut butter and he opened the last jar this morning.
>
> Kathy

Barb said the recipes were not interchangable, so my recipe would fail
if I used powder.

Please post your apricot-red pepper jam (JAM?) recipe - it sounds
delicious! Can you still get fresh apricots or do you use canned?

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 06:41 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:46:29 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

>> types

>> Just
>> >
>> > You're right, but there are certain recipes where they aren't
>> > interchangable... like hot pepper jelly.

>> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?
>>

> liquid... but I can't tell you why.

I made hot pepper jelly with powder pectin. Turned out fine. Could have
been hotter though.

Kathy

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 06:47 AM

Wayne Boatwright 18-08-2005 06:53 AM

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 11:49:56p, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Wed 17 Aug 2005 10:47:59p, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I knew that, but apparently sf doesn't. My pepper jelly turned out
>>> just fine made with powdered pectin. As a matter of fact I changed a
>>> couple of other jelly and jam recipes from liquid to powder and they
>>> all turned out fine. You just have to use the directions for
>>> whichever one you're using.
>>>
>>> I need to go to the farmer's market and get some nice hot red peppers
>>> for a couple more batches of Apricot-Red pepper jam. It's hubby's
>>> favorite on peanut butter and he opened the last jar this morning.
>>>
>>> Kathy

>> Fresh or dried apricots?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> They were dried apricots. I found the recipe googling for jam recipes.
> The red peppers came from the garden last year and they were fairly hot.
> I don't have a garden this year due to moving in the middle of the
> summer so I'm going to have to hunt red peppers at the farmer's market.
>
> Kathy

Oh, good, I was hoping they were dried apricots, as I prefer using them.
Could you please post your recipe? I have access to a wide variety of hot
peppers.

Thanks, Kathy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-3, 08/17/2005
Tested on: 8/17/2005 10:47:59 PM

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 07:49 AM

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 08:03 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:47:59 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:
>

>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > In article <0sTMe.2588$Sj1.797@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"

>> > Liquid or powder. :-0) The recipes are different, Kathy, but both
>> > forms have recipes for Pepper Jelly.
>> > --
>> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
>> > couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

>> I knew that, but apparently sf doesn't. My pepper jelly turned out just
>> fine made with powdered pectin. As a matter of fact I changed a couple
>> of
>> other jelly and jam recipes from liquid to powder and they all turned
>> out
>> fine. You just have to use the directions for whichever one you're
>> using.
>>
>> I need to go to the farmer's market and get some nice hot red peppers
>> for a
>> couple more batches of Apricot-Red pepper jam. It's hubby's favorite on
>> peanut butter and he opened the last jar this morning.
>>
>> Kathy

> Barb said the recipes were not interchangable, so my recipe would fail
> if I used powder.
>
> Please post your apricot-red pepper jam (JAM?) recipe - it sounds
> delicious! Can you still get fresh apricots or do you use canned?

My mom told me I could use either list of ingredients as long as I used the
instructions for which ever pectin I used. She said "pectin is pectin." I
even used store brand powdered pectin and didn't have a single failure in
over 200 jars of jams and jellies.

The Apricot-Red pepper jam is made with dried apricots and hot red peppers.
The ones I used last year were from my garden and if I remember right the
variety was called Santa Fe.

This is the original recipe as I found it. I didn't use any bell peppers, I
used all hot peppers. I also discovered 1 3/4ths cup of vinegar was
waaaaaaaaaaay too much when I chopped the apricots and peppers. It made a
mess. On the second batch I cut it back to about half a cup in the food
processor. I changed the canning time for my altitude too.

If you want it definitely hot I'd throw in at least one habanero. I finally
got actually hot jam when I made habanero-peach. That'll warm your toast
up.

Kathy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricot-Red Pepper Jam

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Jams and Jellies

1 pkg. dried apricots (about 1-1/2 cups) -- (about 6 oz.)
chopped
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup fresno chilies or jalapenos
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar (5% acidity)
1 1/2 cups water
1 box dry pectin -- (1-3/4 or 2 oz.)
6 cups sugar

In a blender or food processor, whirl apricots, bell pepper, chiles,
and 1-3/4 cups of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely
ground. Pour into a heavy-bottomed 8-10 quart pan. Rinse
blender with the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar;
pour into pan. Stir in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high
heat, stirring constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to
a full rolling boil; boil, stirring for 1 minute (if using 2 oz. box of
pectin boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch
headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean, top with hot lids,
then firmly screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath for
10 minutes. Makes about 6 half-pint jars.

Yield:
"9 half pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4674 Calories; trace Fat (0.0%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 1206g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 25mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 80 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : canning time adjusted

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 08:23 AM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Oh, good, I was hoping they were dried apricots, as I prefer using them.
> Could you please post your recipe? I have access to a wide variety of hot
> peppers.
>
> Thanks, Kathy!
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

I really like using the dried too. Last year I tossed the peppers in the
freezer and then I could wait to make this one until it was cooler and I had
more time. I posted the recipe in my last reply to sf. Let me know if you
need it again.

I love this one on cream cheese. It's hubby's favorite on peanut butter.

Kathy

Melba's Jammin' 18-08-2005 02:03 PM

In article <BsVMe.2606$Sj1.1058@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"
> wrote:

> Apricot-Red Pepper Jam

Kathy, do you remember where you picked up that recipe?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/18/05, The Minnesota Pickle!

Melba's Jammin' 18-08-2005 02:12 PM

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Wed 17 Aug 2005 11:49:56p, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Fresh or dried apricots?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> >> ____________________________________________
> >>
> >> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> >> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> > They were dried apricots. I found the recipe googling for jam recipes.
> > The red peppers came from the garden last year and they were fairly hot.
> > I don't have a garden this year due to moving in the middle of the
> > summer so I'm going to have to hunt red peppers at the farmer's market.
> >
> > Kathy

> Oh, good, I was hoping they were dried apricots, as I prefer using them.
> Could you please post your recipe? I have access to a wide variety of hot
> peppers.
>
> Thanks, Kathy!

I'm not Kathy, but I posted this to r.f.c. four years ago. It's from
Sunset publications.

Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: *Sunset Canning Book, p 54
Serving Size: *72
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc. *

Amount * Measure *Ingredient *Preparation Method
1 *package *(about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped *(about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 * cup * chopped red bell pepper
1/4 * cup * seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or *
* * * red (or green) jalapeno chiles (4-6 * *
* * * medium-size chiles) *
2 1/2 cups *cider vinegar *
1 1/2 cups *water
1 *box * powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce) *
6 *cups *sugar

In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. *Pour into
a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. *Rinse food processor/blender with
the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. *Stir
in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. *Quickly add sugar, still stirring. *Return to a full
rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. *(If using a 2-oz. box
of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) *Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. *Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
screw on bands. *Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes. *

Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. *Let stand for 12 to
24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate. *

Makes about 6 half-pints. *(More like 9)
* *----------
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/18/05, The Minnesota Pickle!

Wayne Boatwright 18-08-2005 02:24 PM

On Thu 18 Aug 2005 12:23:11a, kr_gentner wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>

>> Oh, good, I was hoping they were dried apricots, as I prefer using
>> them. Could you please post your recipe? I have access to a wide
>> variety of hot peppers.
>>
>> Thanks, Kathy!
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

> I really like using the dried too. Last year I tossed the peppers in
> the freezer and then I could wait to make this one until it was cooler
> and I had more time. I posted the recipe in my last reply to sf. Let
> me know if you need it again.

Thanks, Kathy, I got it.

> I love this one on cream cheese. It's hubby's favorite on peanut
> butter.

I would like both!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-3, 08/17/2005
Tested on: 8/18/2005 6:19:15 AM

Wayne Boatwright 18-08-2005 02:50 PM

On Thu 18 Aug 2005 06:12:32a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm not Kathy, but I posted this to r.f.c. four years ago. It's from
> Sunset publications.
>
> Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly
>
> Recipe By: ÿSunset Canning Book, p 54
> Serving Size: ÿ72
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc. ÿ

I know who you are! :-)

Thanks for posting this, Barb.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-3, 08/17/2005
Tested on: 8/18/2005 6:44:48 AM

Sheldon 18-08-2005 04:01 PM

wrote:

> where? i wanna make some jam.

I think you want pectin, not gelatin... and I don't think anyone can
advise where to buy either (except on the net) lest you say where
you're located.

Sheldon

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 05:10 PM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <BsVMe.2606$Sj1.1058@okepread04>, "kr_gentner"
> > wrote:
>
>> Apricot-Red Pepper Jam

> Kathy, do you remember where you picked up that recipe?
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/18/05, The Minnesota Pickle!

I did a google search for pepper jam or jelly. I found it posted in a
couple of places but don't remember where all I found it now.

Kathy

sf 18-08-2005 07:33 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:03:38 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

> If you want it definitely hot I'd throw in at least one habanero. I finally
> got actually hot jam when I made habanero-peach. That'll warm your toast
> up.

Thanks for the recipe and precautions... yes, I like my pepper jelly
with a bite, but I use it for appetisers not toast.

:D

sf 18-08-2005 09:40 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:30:18 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks for the recipe and precautions... yes, I like my pepper jelly
> > with a bite, but I use it for appetisers not toast.
> >
> > :D

> I love it as an appetizer myself. The peach and apricot ones make excellent
> glazes for pork roast.

Yum! Great idea. Do you put it on the last 10 minutes or give it
longer? I would probably use it as a condiment, because I like pepper
jelly so much!

kr_gentner 18-08-2005 10:30 PM

kr_gentner 19-08-2005 12:22 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> Yum! Great idea. Do you put it on the last 10 minutes or give it
> longer? I would probably use it as a condiment, because I like pepper
> jelly so much!

I don't give it much longer than about 20 minutes most of the time. A
couple of times I put it on a little earlier and it starts to scorch. I
don't mind a little carmelization but I don't want it to get scorched.

Kathy

Arri London 19-08-2005 12:34 AM

kr_gentner wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:34:25 -0600, kr_gentner wrote:
> >
> >> I've interchanged them. The directions are different for the two types
> >> of
> >> pection but other than that the recipes are pretty much the same. Just
> >> follow the directions for the type of pectin you're using.

> > You're right, but there are certain recipes where they aren't
> > interchangable... like hot pepper jelly.

> So which one is required for hot pepper jelly?
>
> Kathy

Either one will work. My mother makes pepper jelly by the kilogram.
Sometimes she uses the powder and sometimes the liquid. Just a matter of
following the directions that come with either one.

[email protected] 19-08-2005 07:18 PM

: : > where? i wanna make some jam.

: : Look for Certo in the grocery store. It comes as either a powder or
: : liquid.

: Or Knox. You find it in the spice/baking aisle, normally near the
: canning items.

Strike that, I meant to say Sure-Jell. Knox is gelatin.