Sumbuddy

Default Need Tips for cooking Venison

A coworker of mine was leaving to go to a new job in another state last
week and gave me about 7 or 8 pounds of venison steaks. I don't much about
them except that they are frozen, wrapped in butcher paper and just say
steak on the outside. Some are small and some are large, so I suspect they
an assortment of steak varieties. I've never tried cooking venison before,
so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've heard that venison is lean and
can be dry, so I'm thinking of marinating them for a few hours and grilling
them on my George Foreman style grill or pan frying them. If I had a
barbecue or hibachi, I'd try that, but I don't have access to one.

If anyone has any good recipes or marinades for venison steaks or
techniques for keeping them juicy, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Sumbuddy
Kswck

"Sumbuddy" > wrote in message
> A coworker of mine was leaving to go to a new job in another state last
> week and gave me about 7 or 8 pounds of venison steaks. I don't much about
> them except that they are frozen, wrapped in butcher paper and just say
> steak on the outside. Some are small and some are large, so I suspect they
> an assortment of steak varieties. I've never tried cooking venison before,
> so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've heard that venison is lean and
> can be dry, so I'm thinking of marinating them for a few hours and

grilling
> them on my George Foreman style grill or pan frying them. If I had a
> barbecue or hibachi, I'd try that, but I don't have access to one.
>
> If anyone has any good recipes or marinades for venison steaks or
> techniques for keeping them juicy, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
>
> Sumbuddy

Try cook on a grill. I use a marinade made of soy sauce, brown mustard,
garlic clove minced and I cook the steaks with a raw onion atop the
steak-takes the gaminess right out.

Bob (this one)

Default Venison, part 1 WAS: Need Tips for cooking Venison

Sumbuddy wrote:

> A coworker of mine was leaving to go to a new job in another state last
> week and gave me about 7 or 8 pounds of venison steaks. I don't much about
> them except that they are frozen, wrapped in butcher paper and just say
> steak on the outside. Some are small and some are large, so I suspect they
> an assortment of steak varieties. I've never tried cooking venison before,
> so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've heard that venison is lean and
> can be dry, so I'm thinking of marinating them for a few hours and grilling
> them on my George Foreman style grill or pan frying them. If I had a
> barbecue or hibachi, I'd try that, but I don't have access to one.
>
> If anyone has any good recipes or marinades for venison steaks or
> techniques for keeping them juicy, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Here's a lot more than you asked for. Three columns I wrote a few
years ago - three separate posts. Doesn't directly answer all your
questions, but a good primer for game cookery, particularly venison.

Pastorio
---------------------------
Are you game? Part 1
There are few subjects that I hear more questions about than cooking
game meats. Particularly venison. So this week and next week, we'll
talk a little about game cookery.
In my restaurants we served lion, hippo, llama, alligator, bear,
boar, rattlesnake and, yes, venison. After all the hours spent at the
stove, I can say the techniques and recipes below work and that they
contradict a lot of game cookery books. I'm not looking for a fight
with any of the good folks who wrote them, but I assure you that what
follows is the best of what I've seen and done over the years. Let's go.
Game meats are frequently described as tough, dry and too strongly
flavored. Cookbook writers still say to soak game meats for 24 hours
or more to get rid of the gamy flavor. Or use strong marinades to get
rid of the gamy flavor. Or cook it in three changes of water(!) to
get rid of the gamy flavor. Would you do any of those things with a
piece of beef?
First, you don't need to go to all that nuisance to minimize the
"wild" flavor. If you trim off the surface fat from your meats,
flavors become more gentle naturally. Besides, getting rid of the all
the gamy flavor is getting rid of the essence of the meat. Those
people who advise you to go through all those elaborate preparation
steps want deer to taste bland, unassertive. Bear to taste unlike bear.
Hey, if you don't enjoy the flavor; there's no earthly reason to mess
with it. Go eat something you like, don't fight with a piece of meat.
Been wanting to say that for a long time.
Let's get to it. We're looking at the more tender cuts in these two
articles; basically, tenderloins, rib roasts (sometimes) and hind leg
hams. Any other cut will almost surely be too tough to cook this way
and should be done as pot roasts, stews or ground for sausage,
burgers, meat loaf (or pate') or chili-type dishes. But that's
another story for another time.
Venison is a very lean meat and, when roasting, needs to have fat
added both for good flavor and moisture. The roasts also need to be
cooked at a low temperature to help them be tender. Do it this way
and you'll have roasts that will be different than anything you've
ever eaten before. Tender, juicy, moist and tasting like themselves.
Here's a "be careful" note: You can't cook meats consistently by
minutes-per-pound formulas because there are many variables that will
affect the time it takes to cook properly.
Here's what I mean: 1. thin roasts cook faster than thick ones; 2.
room temperature meats cook faster than ones right out of the
refrigerator; 3. roasts with bones-in cook faster than boneless ones;
4. rolled and tied roasts take longer than open ones; 5. your oven
thermostat is more than likely inaccurate.
An instant-read thermometer from a housewares store (under $10)
solves all those problems and guarantees success every time. Roasting
should always be done on a rack, never sitting on the bottom of the
roasting pan. When you put it directly on the pan, you're roasting
the top but frying the bottom in its own rendered fat. The bottom
overcooks before the top is done.
And never, never put meat in a roasting pan and add water. You roast
the top and boil the bottom. The meat will toughen and get stringy.
To roast venison, the best temperatures I've used were 205 degrees
(convection oven) or 250 degrees (conventional home oven) or 250 in a
smoker.
The meat's safely done at a center temperature (away from bone) of
over 145 degrees and it'll be moist, flavorful and cooked to the
"medium" stage. It will be pink at the center and juices will run
slightly red. Cook it to 145-150 for medium, 150-155 for medium well
or 160-170 for well done. The more well done, the drier it will be.
After taking it out of the oven, the roast should be permitted to
rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing, during which time the center
temperature will go up as much as 20 degrees and the juices will
redistribute themselves more evenly throughout the roast. A 10 pound
roast will take somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 hours to cook to
145, depending on the variables.
At these low temperatures, the outside of the roast will be only
slightly browned. If you prefer more browning, start the meat in a
450 degree oven and turn it down to 250 after 20 minutes.
For moist game roasts, you have to add some fat and there are three
main ways to do it: first, wrap pieces of fat around the meat (called
"Barding" in classic French cuisine); second, insert strips of fat
into the meat (called "Larding" and traditionally requiring special
needles, but you can freeze sticks of bacon or fatback and poke holes
in the meat and then push the frozen sticks through) and; third,
inject the meat with a kitchen hypodermic needle (available at
housewares stores).
The hypodermic is easy. Just inject a couple ounces of a light oil,
plain or flavored as below, into the roast then either drape bacon
over the whole thing or make the cover (in the recipes for next week)
and roast. Try to inject the oil around inside the meat in a few
different places rather than all in one place.
Try this for a tasty oil to inject into the meat: take a quart of
peanut oil and put in a cinnamon stick, three cloves, about a
tablespoon of cracked black peppercorns, a teaspoon of garlic powder,
a half teaspoon of ground cumin, a tablespoon of cracked, dried
juniper berries (if you can find them) and a half teaspoon of powdered
ginger. Put it on a sunny kitchen window sill for a month or so and
the flavors will quietly permeate the oil. Wonderful in a venison leg
and, by the way, just as terrific in a turkey breast.
A satisfying dinner can be produced this way: Start the meat in the
oven on a rack. After about an hour, put peeled and quartered
potatoes under the rack to bake with any drippings falling on them.
If you want the meal fuller still, cut a head of cabbage into one-inch
chunks and spread it on the bottom of the pan then scatter the
potatoes around on top of the cabbage. Lovely.
Some books advocate using marinades to tenderize. Marinades don't
actually penetrate the meat very much except through holes you poke in
the meat, so only a little of the oil in marinades gets inside. The
catch-22 here is that poking holes in the meat lets its juices out so
the roast will be drier than if you hadn't made the holes. Oh, well.
Marinades can add or mask flavors, though. Here's one I like:
COOKED MARINADE FOR VENISON
This marinade gentles the "wild" taste, adds moisture and flavor, and
tenderizes very slightly. Put meat and marinade in a covered
container just a little larger than the piece of meat for 24 to 36
hours. Turn over a few times if a roast or stir occasionally if
pieces of meat.
The marinade can be made in large batches (double, triple, etc.) and
frozen until needed. Freeze in zipper bags in small portions, say, a
cup. If you have enough meat to need more than one portion, open as
many bags as you need, thaw and pour over meat.
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic
dash hot pepper sauce
1 small onion cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 ribs celery cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 medium peeled carrot cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup oil (light olive, canola, peanut)
small pinch ground clove
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon dried juniper berries (optional)
Combine all ingredients except peppercorns and juniper berries in a
blender or food processor and run until it's fairly smooth. Pour into
a saucepan, add peppercorns and juniper berries and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Cool and pour over meat or freeze. Use once and discard.
Five variations: 1) Try flavored vinegars - tarragon, herbal,
ginger, etc. for a different taste. 2) Use white wine for a lighter
flavor. 3) Add slices of fresh ginger for a bolder flavor and a
peppery bite. 4) Add a cup of catsup and 1/2 cup brown sugar to the
basic recipe to make a spicy barbecue sauce to brush on grilled meat.
5) Add a little heated marinade to the sauce or gravy that will be
served with the roast.

Bob (this one)

Default Venison, part 2 WAS: Need Tips for cooking Venison

Sumbuddy wrote:

> A coworker of mine was leaving to go to a new job in another state last=

> week and gave me about 7 or 8 pounds of venison steaks. I don't much ab=

out
> them except that they are frozen, wrapped in butcher paper and just say=

> steak on the outside. Some are small and some are large, so I suspect t=

hey
> an assortment of steak varieties. I've never tried cooking venison befo=

re,
> so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've heard that venison is lean a=

nd
> can be dry, so I'm thinking of marinating them for a few hours and gril=

ling
> them on my George Foreman style grill or pan frying them. If I had a
> barbecue or hibachi, I'd try that, but I don't have access to one.
>=20
> If anyone has any good recipes or marinades for venison steaks or
> techniques for keeping them juicy, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Here's the second of three.

Pastorio
-------------------------
Are you game? Part 2
Last week we looked at some background information about cooking game=20
meats, particularly venison. This week, we hit the kitchen to see=20
some tested recipes. Here we go.

ROAST LEG OF VENISON
This works with marinated or unmarinated roasts equally well.=20
Cooking at this low temperature means that you won't have many pan=20
drippings beyond the melted butter from the filler and will have to=20
come up with sauce or gravy from somewhere else. That's bad news and=20
great news. Bad news is: no meat drippings to make gravy from. Great=20
news: all that moisture is still in the meat.
1 leg roast (or whole saddle) of venison
filler:
3 to 6 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp ground bay leaf
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp unflavored meat tenderizer (optional)
1 stick butter, room temperature
Oil (or spray)
cover:
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (optional)
Heat oven to 250 degrees; for a convection oven, heat to 205.=20
Thoroughly mix together all filler ingredients. With the tip of a=20
sharp, narrow-bladed knife, make holes two inches apart all over the=20
meat about 3/4 of an inch deep and force some filler into the holes.=20
Spray or brush the roast with enough oil to moisten the surface. Mix=20
together and thickly sprinkle the cover ingredients over the roast.=20
Roast until center temperature away from bone is 135 for medium, 145=20
for medium well or 160 for well done. Remove from oven and let sit=20
for at least 20 minutes so that internal temperature will equalize and=20
juices will be more evenly distributed.
Five variations: 1) If using marinated meat, add a little marinade=20
to the filler. 2) Add raw bacon to the filler, process smooth and use=20
as above. 3) Drape raw bacon slices over the roast before cooking.=20
When the roast is done, chop the bacon and add to sauce or gravy. 4)=20
Add 2 tbsp apple or orange juice concentrate to the filler and proceed=20
as above. 5) Add 1/4 cup or more finely ground breadcrumbs to the=20
cover mixture and press onto the meat to make a light crust. Spray=20
with oil or trickle butter sparingly over the breadcrumb crust during=20
the last 45 minutes of cooking.

SCALLOPINE, CUTLETS AND MEDALLIONS
The Italian name, scallopine, technically refers to any thin,=20
boneless slice of meat but the most common usage is for veal. In=20
French, they say escallopes. In English we say cutlets or "little=20
cuts." Medallions are usually understood to be slices of the=20
tenderloin.
The slices of meat for scallopine should be about 1/8 inch thick to=20
cook evenly. Traditionally, the slices are cut a little thicker, then=20
pounded, both to make them all the same thickness and to tenderize=20
them. I use the flat of a heavy cleaver. You can use anything that=20
will get the job done without tearing holes in the meat. Not so=20
pretty that way. The wax paper technique in the second recipe below=20
reduces tearing of the meat.

FRUITED VENISON =09
Serves 4.
2 pounds tenderloin
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon each, ground ginger, cinnamon, garlic powder
4 tablespoons butter (approximately)
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup reduced meat stock or Demi Glace (see note below)
1 tablespoon currant jelly
1/3 cup golden raisins
Cut tenderloins into sixteen 1/2 inch thick medallions. Mix together=20
flour and dry seasonings and dredge meat in seasoned flour and set=20
aside on wax paper. After a few minutes, the moisture in the meat=20
will dampen the flour coating. Dredge again to thicken coating. Melt=20
enough butter in a skillet (non-stick, if possible) to thinly coat the=20
bottom over medium-high heat and saut=E9 medallions on both sides to a=20
golden brown. Add more butter as needed. When cooked, remove meat to=20
warmed platter and hold in a 200 degree oven. It may be necessary to=20
cook the medallions in two or more batches, depending on skillets=20
available. After meat is removed, turn up heat, add red wine to=20
skillet and bring to full boil, stirring to loosen any cooked-on=20
particles. Add reduced meat stock, stirring to mix fully. Add jelly=20
and raisins. Reduce liquid to half, stirring frequently, pour over=20
medallions and serve.

VENISON MARSALA
My personal favorite and a wonderful variation on the classic Italian=20
veal Marsala. This meat is cut and handled differently than the=20
recipe above.
Serves 4.
2 pounds round or tenderloin
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/3 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup reduced meat stock or Demi Glace (see note below)
1/4 cup heavy cream =09
Cut scallopine from the round (top of hind leg) or tenderloins about=20
1/2 inch thick. Pound between two sheets wax paper to less than 1/4=20
inch thick. Meanwhile, saut=E9 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms in three=20
tablespoons butter until they are lightly browned and hold them aside.=20
Mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge meat in seasoned flour and=20
saut=E9 on medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove meat to a heated =

platter. Add mushrooms to pan and reheat. Add Marsala wine to pan,=20
stirring to dislodge any browned particles. Add reduced meat stock=20
and heavy cream, stirring and bring to a full boil. Reduce slightly=20
until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, pour over meat and=20
serve.
NOTE: Heavy meat stock can be made from the bones and trimmings of=20
the deer as you would beef or chicken stock. Or substitute a Knorr=20
brand product called "Demi Glace" which can be found in supermarkets=20
wherever the sauce mixes live. It comes in envelopes; just add water.=20
It's most assuredly not the real thing, but can work in a pinch. If=20
you have no other possibility, some good quality beef gravy can be=20
substituted and it's definitely not the same as game stock but how bad=20
could it be?

Sumbuddy

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:02:04 GMT, Kswck wrote:

> "Sumbuddy" > wrote in message
>> A coworker of mine was leaving to go to a new job in another state last
>> week and gave me about 7 or 8 pounds of venison steaks. I don't much about
>> them except that they are frozen, wrapped in butcher paper and just say
>> steak on the outside. Some are small and some are large, so I suspect they
>> an assortment of steak varieties. I've never tried cooking venison before,
>> so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've heard that venison is lean and
>> can be dry, so I'm thinking of marinating them for a few hours and

> grilling
>> them on my George Foreman style grill or pan frying them. If I had a
>> barbecue or hibachi, I'd try that, but I don't have access to one.
>>
>> If anyone has any good recipes or marinades for venison steaks or
>> techniques for keeping them juicy, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
>>
>> Sumbuddy

> Try cook on a grill. I use a marinade made of soy sauce, brown mustard,
> garlic clove minced and I cook the steaks with a raw onion atop the
> steak-takes the gaminess right out.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it.

Sumbuddy

Sumbuddy

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:49:40 -0400, Bob (this one) wrote:

> [...]

> sauté on medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove meat to a heated
> platter. Add mushrooms to pan and reheat. Add Marsala wine to pan,
> stirring to dislodge any browned particles. Add reduced meat stock
> and heavy cream, stirring and bring to a full boil. Reduce slightly
> until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, pour over meat and
> serve.
> NOTE: Heavy meat stock can be made from the bones and trimmings of
> the deer as you would beef or chicken stock. Or substitute a Knorr
> brand product called "Demi Glace" which can be found in supermarkets
> wherever the sauce mixes live. It comes in envelopes; just add water.
> It's most assuredly not the real thing, but can work in a pinch. If
> you have no other possibility, some good quality beef gravy can be
> substituted and it's definitely not the same as game stock but how bad

Thanks for posting these articles. I don't have roasts, but I was able to
get some ideas as to which spices would work well. I'll probably try the
Marsala recipe if I can work out one of the substitutes for Demi Glace.
They don't stock too many unusual items like that here in North Dakota.

My wife has decided she wants to use most of the venison to make chili, so
we may end up doing that. She does tend to get her way on these things,
LOL.

Sumbuddy
telmgren

"Sumbuddy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:49:40 -0400, Bob (this one) wrote:

> Thanks for posting these articles. I don't have roasts, but I was able to
> get some ideas as to which spices would work well. I'll probably try the
> Marsala recipe if I can work out one of the substitutes for Demi Glace.
> They don't stock too many unusual items like that here in North Dakota.
>
> My wife has decided she wants to use most of the venison to make chili, so
> we may end up doing that. She does tend to get her way on these things,
> LOL.
>
> Sumbuddy

I think venison makes the absolute best jerky. Yummy!

Cooking venison? brumblebug General Cooking 8 02-08-2012 10:19 PM
Cooking Venison Kswck General Cooking 20 01-11-2008 03:21 PM
Great New Cooking Forum Opening Up Share Recipes, Cooking Tips, Chat and More and Its Free! Come Join Us Today and LETS COOK! [email protected] Recipes 0 08-07-2006 11:08 PM
Cooking Tips: Selecting Ingredients in Chinese Cooking Nicholas Zhou Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2003 01:17 AM