Melba's Jammin'

Default Unnecessary purchase...

In article >, Michael in
Maryland > wrote:

> Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
> need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
> advantage of it?

<looks around> Who, me?
When Lechter's kitchen stores folded about four years ago they had such
a deal on Cuisinarts that I bought two -- figured there'd be SOMEBODY
getting married who'd like a Cuisinart. There were. One of the
marriages lasted for about 9-10 months, the other is still intact.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Fate toys with me.

If I pass it up, I regret forever.
If I buy it, I never use it.

You can't win !

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:57:48 -0400, Michael in Maryland
> wrote:

>A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
>happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>
>I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
>but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
>them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
>least twice as much for them."
>
>Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
>need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
>advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
>lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
>"must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
>my kitchen, feel free.)

<rj>
jacqui{JB}

"Michael in Maryland" > wrote in message

> Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't
> think you really need the item, but it's just such a good
> deal you can't bear not to take advantage of it? (If anyone
> wants to try convincing me that I'll get lots of use out of
> the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a "must
> have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans
> already in my kitchen, feel free.)

Of course you need them.

Thankfully (???), these opportunities don't come up so often for me anymore.
Sale prices in Denmark are no great shakes and regular prices are horrific
(I've recently been informed, but haven't checked the stats for myself yet,
that Copenhagen is now the most expensive city in the world in which to
live -- I can believe it). People ask me what I miss about living in the
US, and almost invariably I answer: the shopping! Followed closely by "my
hairdresser ..."

-j

aem

Michael in Maryland wrote:
> A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
> happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>
> I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
> but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
> them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
> least twice as much for them."

I don't get it. You know you don't need them, so why would you later
wish you had bought them? Saving money is not an end in itself, you
know. -aem

cathyxyz

Michael in Maryland wrote:
> A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
> happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>
> I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
> but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
> them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
> least twice as much for them."
>
> Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
> need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
> advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
> lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
> "must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
> my kitchen, feel free.)

Do what I do.... buy them/it, and then find one good (repeatable) recipe
that you can use them for.... Then the guilt just goes away!!
Convincing enough?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - who thinks you can never have too many pots/pans

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French.
Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce
makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

Alice May Brock

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 10 Aug 2005 11:50:36a, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Michael in Maryland wrote:
>> A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
>> happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>>
>> I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
>> but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
>> them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
>> least twice as much for them."
>>
>> Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
>> need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
>> advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
>> lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
>> "must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
>> my kitchen, feel free.)

> Do what I do.... buy them/it, and then find one good (repeatable) recipe
> that you can use them for.... Then the guilt just goes away!!
> Convincing enough?

hehehe! I love your logic!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
cathyxyz

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > Do what I do.... buy them/it, and then find one good (repeatable) recipe
> > that you can use them for.... Then the guilt just goes away!!
> > Convincing enough?
> >

> hehehe! I love your logic!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*

At last! I have it in writing! I have been called a "logical" woman -
can I print this out for my DH?
heh heh heh heh
Cheers
Cathy

cathyxyz

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> hehehe! I love your logic!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*

> > At last! I have it in writing! I have been called a "logical" woman -
> > can I print this out for my DH?
> > heh heh heh heh
> > Cheers
> > Cathy
> >

> You may quote me! :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *=BF*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Thanks!!

Cheers
Cathy - hitting the "print" button

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 10 Aug 2005 01:17:15p, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> > Do what I do.... buy them/it, and then find one good (repeatable)
>> > recipe that you can use them for.... Then the guilt just goes away!!
>> > Convincing enough?
>> >

>> hehehe! I love your logic!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> At last! I have it in writing! I have been called a "logical" woman -
> can I print this out for my DH?
> heh heh heh heh
> Cheers
> Cathy

You may quote me! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Peter Aitken

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Michael in Maryland wrote:
>> A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
>> happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>>
>> I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
>> but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
>> them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
>> least twice as much for them."

> I don't get it. You know you don't need them, so why would you later
> wish you had bought them? Saving money is not an end in itself, you
> know. -aem

And it's not saving money - it's wasting it!

--
Peter Aitken

cathyxyz

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

>>I don't get it. You know you don't need them, so why would you later
>>wish you had bought them? Saving money is not an end in itself, you
>>know. -aem
>>

> And it's not saving money - it's wasting it!

Well if it was *your* money, you might have a point here (somewhere)....

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Nancy Young

"cathyxyz" > wrote

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>> And it's not saving money - it's wasting it!

> Well if it was *your* money, you might have a point here (somewhere)....

Besides, what's wrong with buying something just because you
want it, sometimes? So long as you're not spending the rent
money, what the heck. Saving money is a very good thing,
hoarding it just for hoarding it's sake, not so good. So they
got something that caught their eye and they could afford it
and they just wanted it. Go for it.

nancy

cathyxyz

Nancy Young wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > wrote
>
> > Peter Aitken wrote:

> >> And it's not saving money - it's wasting it!

> > Well if it was *your* money, you might have a point here (somewhere)....

> Besides, what's wrong with buying something just because you
> want it, sometimes? So long as you're not spending the rent
> money, what the heck. Saving money is a very good thing,
> hoarding it just for hoarding it's sake, not so good. So they
> got something that caught their eye and they could afford it
> and they just wanted it. Go for it.
>
> nancy

I agree. There are very few things in my kitchen that I don't use -
even if it's only occasionally...And the stuff I don't use was probably
given to me by some well-meaning relative/friend for a
birthday/Christmas gift - so it has to be there when they visit . But
now and again, I see something I would really like to have, (and if I
can afford it) I buy it. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
Cheers
Cathy

aem

Nancy Young wrote:

> Besides, what's wrong with buying something just because you
> want it, sometimes? [snip]

I have no problem with that at all. When the person asks for help in
rationalizing it, though, it shows that she or he is not comfortable
with that attitude. Buy it because you _want_ to, and stand up and say
so. Don't hide behind some lame excuse, especially one given to you by
someone else. -aem

Nancy Young

"aem" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Besides, what's wrong with buying something just because you
>> want it, sometimes? [snip]

> I have no problem with that at all. When the person asks for help in
> rationalizing it, though, it shows that she or he is not comfortable
> with that attitude. Buy it because you _want_ to, and stand up and say
> so. Don't hide behind some lame excuse, especially one given to you by
> someone else. -aem

Actually, I don't think the post or the queries were all that
serious. I didn't take it that way at all. No big deal.

nancy

Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 10 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "aem" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> Besides, what's wrong with buying something just because you
> >> want it, sometimes? [snip]

> > I have no problem with that at all. When the person asks for help
> > in rationalizing it, though, it shows that she or he is not
> > comfortable with that attitude. Buy it because you _want_ to, and
> > stand up and say so. Don't hide behind some lame excuse,
> > especially one given to you by someone else. -aem

> Actually, I don't think the post or the queries were all that
> serious. I didn't take it that way at all. No big deal.
>
> nancy

Hey you tell them...I ordered a food dehydrator...I don't need one...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Sheryl Rosen

Michael in Maryland at wrote on 8/10/05 6:57 AM:

> A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
> happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
>
> I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
> but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
> them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
> least twice as much for them."
>
> Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
> need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
> advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
> lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
> "must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
> my kitchen, feel free.)

Sweetheart, if you want it, and it makes you happy....and you can afford to
spend the money on the pots and not on something else, and you have the room
to store them....treat yourself!

Those are good pans, the kind that you will have the rest of your life, if
given reasonable care. (I have Farberware that's older than I am, and
Corningware, too). Someday, you will need a pan to make a great sauce in,
and that windsor pan will be perfect...and you'll be grateful to have it!

I am one of those people who believes in buying a set, at least to start out
with, because even if you never use that little 1 qt pan but 3-4 times a
year, when you just need to melt half a stick of butter with some rum for
that awesome rum cake you make for Christmas gifts....it's the perfect thing
and you will have it the rest of your life.

Pots and pans are tools. How often do you use a hammer around the house? Or
a screwdriver? Certainly not every day, maybe not even once a month! But
most households have at least one of each. They sit in a drawer and when you
need them, they are there. Think of those two pots the same way.

And enjoy!
---
Love like you've never been hurt
Live like there's no tomorrow
And dance like there's nobody watching

sf

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:59:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> When Lechter's kitchen stores folded

Has anyone found a good replacement for them? They left a big hole in
the market.

Alexis

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Michael in Maryland at wrote on 8/10/05 6:57 AM:
>
> > A local store has some pieces of Cuisinart Multiclad cookware (which I
> > happen to like) on sale at ridiculously low prices.
> >
> > I honestly don't need a 2 quart windsor pan, or a 2 3/4 quart saucepan,
> > but there's this little voice in my head whispering "If you don't buy
> > them, you'll wind up wishing you did, and then you'll have to pay at
> > least twice as much for them."
> >
> > Anyone else been in this situation? Where you don't think you really
> > need the item, but it's just such a good deal you can't bear not to take
> > advantage of it? (If anyone wants to try convincing me that I'll get
> > lots of use out of the windsor pan, or that a 2 3/4 quart saucepan is a
> > "must have," never mind the 2 quart and 3 1/2 quart saucepans already in
> > my kitchen, feel free.)

> Sweetheart, if you want it, and it makes you happy....and you can afford to
> spend the money on the pots and not on something else, and you have the room
> to store them....treat yourself!
>
> Those are good pans, the kind that you will have the rest of your life, if
> given reasonable care. (I have Farberware that's older than I am, and
> Corningware, too). Someday, you will need a pan to make a great sauce in,
> and that windsor pan will be perfect...and you'll be grateful to have it!
>
> I am one of those people who believes in buying a set, at least to start out
> with, because even if you never use that little 1 qt pan but 3-4 times a
> year, when you just need to melt half a stick of butter with some rum for
> that awesome rum cake you make for Christmas gifts....it's the perfect thing
> and you will have it the rest of your life.
>
> Pots and pans are tools. How often do you use a hammer around the house? Or
> a screwdriver? Certainly not every day, maybe not even once a month! But
> most households have at least one of each. They sit in a drawer and when you
> need them, they are there. Think of those two pots the same way.
>
> And enjoy!

Or, if you're *truly* feeling as though you purchased something
"extravagant" (in that you'll use it maybe twice a year, and then only
because you already have it and not because you specifically need it)
then do this -- look through your cabinets, shelves, cupboards, etc.
and for each new item you buy, give something away. Find an item that
you haven't used in the last 12-18 months and pass it on to Goodwill or
the Salvation Army or Big Brothers/Big Sisters or a
friend/neighbor/coworker who can use it. One in, one out (something
I'm requiring myself to do with new cookbooks).

Alexis.

sf

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:40:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:

> Fate toys with me.
>
> If I pass it up, I regret forever.
> If I buy it, I never use it.
>
> You can't win !

There's always Kirkland.

pennyaline

sf wrote:
> Has anyone found a good replacement for them? They left a big hole in
> the market.

I loved Lechter's, but when it was gone I found that I could find the same
items it carried in just about any other store that sold kitchenware.
Target, Smith's (Kroger, Fred Meyer, etc.), Linens and Things, and so on...
all of those stores carry the same things. They differ greatly only in price
from store to store.

There are loads of smaller retailers also serving the same market. Here, the
little winner is a store called Spoons 'n' Spice.