enigma

Default recipes with buttermilk?

i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
are rather dry)
i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
freeze it if i don't use it soon?
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Mr Libido Incognito

enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
> cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
> buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
> muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
> are rather dry)
> i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
> freeze it if i don't use it soon?
> lee

On around August 4/05 I posted a few Muffin recipes (in 3 or 4 posts) to
alt.cookies.yum.yum.yum under my old name Monsur Fromage du Pollet.
There were over well over 100 recipes.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
MOMPEAGRAM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> enigma wrote:
>
>> i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
>> cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
>> buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
>> muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
>> are rather dry)

> Scones made with buttermilk are delicious.
>

>> i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
>> freeze it if i don't use it soon?

> My mother use to whip cream, put dollops of it in a wax paper
> covered tray and freeze them. When she needed a dollop or two of
> whipped cream she could just take them out of the freezer and they
> would thaw in a few minutes.

Mine too!

Mr Libido Incognito

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
> > cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
> > buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
> > muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
> > are rather dry)
> > i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
> > freeze it if i don't use it soon?
> > lee

* Exported from MasterCook *

20 Minute Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 Sticks Butter
2 Cups Sugar
4 1/2 Tablespoons Cocoa
1/2 Tablespoon Hot Water
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Cups Flour
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Bake in sheet pan.

Mix all ingredients well.

Bake 20 minutes.

Frost cake with Boil Icing. (See recipe in glazing and icing section)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 544 Calories; 25g Fat (40.6%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 76g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 116mg
Cholesterol; 427mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Angel Biscuits

Recipe By :Hugh Ann, Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

5 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Shortening
1 Yeast Cake
2 Tablespoons Warm Water
2 Cups Buttermilk
2 Sticks Margarine

Sift dry ingredients.

Blend shortening.

Dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes. Add milk and butter.

Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Mix well. Turn out on floured
board. Roll to thickness desired, cut out biscuits, let stand.

Dough can be refrigerated.

Bake at 450 degrees.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6126 Calories; 398g Fat (58.2%
calories from fat); 84g Protein; 558g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber;
17mg Cholesterol; 7031mg Sodium. Exchanges: 31 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 2 Non-Fat Milk; 77 1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Animal Crackers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter -- softened
4 tablespoons buttermilk

Do not grease cookie sheet.
Grind oatmeal in blender until very fine. Add honey, salt, flour and
baking
soda. Cut in butter. Add buttermilk. Roll very thin, cut with animal
cookie
cutters.
Bake at 400 degrees until brown (10-12 min.).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 971 Calories; 50g Fat (46.0%
calories from fat); 19g Protein; 113g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;
126mg Cholesterol; 1384mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-
Fat Milk; 9 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Anise Oil Christmas Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. margarine
2 1/2 tsp. anise oil
1/4 tsp. vinegar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
5 1/2 c. flour
1 c. pure lard
3 eggs
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Cream sugar, margarine, lard and eggs and simply add all
other ingredients; mix well. If need be, add a little more
flour until dough is not sticky too handle. Separate into 4 or
5 balls of dough. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight.
Next morning you are ready to roll and cut out cookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4580 Calories; 114g Fat (22.5%
calories from fat); 97g Protein; 786g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber;
642mg Cholesterol; 2480mg Sodium. Exchanges: 34 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 19 1/2 Fat; 17 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baking Powder Biscuits

Recipe By :Peggie Forster, Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 Cups Flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt -- scant
2/3 Cup Buttermilk
1/3 Cup Oil

Roll dough and cut.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1626 Calories; 77g Fat (42.5%
calories from fat); 31g Protein; 202g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 6mg
Cholesterol; 3771mg Sodium. Exchanges: 12 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Non-Fat
Milk; 14 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Nut Bread #1

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Oats -- quick
1/3 Cup Liquid Shortening
2 Eggs -- beaten
1/3 Cup Buttermilk
2/3 Cup Mashed Bananas
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, soda and sugar in bowl.

Stir in oats. Add remaining ingredients. Stir only until blended.

Pour into greased loaf pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 572 Calories; 15g Fat (23.6%
calories from fat); 17g Protein; 94g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;
107mg Cholesterol; 995mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Basic Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes & frostings Chocolate

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups sifted cake hour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place chocolate in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce
heat to low; cook until chocolate melts.

Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an
electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
addition. Add chocolate, mixing well.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; add to chocolate mixture
alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix
after each addition. Add water, mixing well.

Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 3-inch round
cakepans. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and
let cool completely on wire racks. Frost as desired.

Yield: one 2-layer cake.

Chocolate Cupcakes: Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin pans, filling
each cup half full. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from pans,
and let cool on wire racks. Frost as desired.

Yield: 3 dozen.

Source:
"The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987, 8487-0709-5"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3282 Calories; 177g Fat (45.7%
calories from fat); 30g Protein; 443g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber;
430mg Cholesterol; 3459mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 34 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blueberry Pound Cake

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup shortening
4 Large eggs -- or 5 medium eggs
1/4 Teaspoon yellow food coloring
1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Adams Butter flavoring
3 Tablespoons lemon extract
1/2 Cup buttermilk
3 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 Cups whole blueberries -- drained and rinsed

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs one at a time.

Add yellow food coloring, almond extract, vanilla extract, butter
flavoring, and lemon extract to buttermilk; blend well and set aside.

Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together; add to batter
alternating with buttermilk until evenly distributed.

Fold in blueberries, reserving a few for garnish.

Pour into a 10" bundt or stem pan that has been lightly greased, but not
floured. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before
removing from pan.

While cake is still warm brush on glaze with pastry brush covering top
and sides. Garnish with a few reserved blueberries.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 643 Calories; 29g Fat (40.3%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 87g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 107mg
Cholesterol; 404mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : See frosting section for Pound Cake Glaze.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bourbon Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes & frostings

2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/3 cups chopped walnuts -- toasted
8 ounces chopped dates
BOURBON SYRUP
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup bourbon

Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until
smooth.

Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately
with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low
speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in walnuts and dates.
Pour into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack. Pierce cake halfway through
at 1-inch intervals with a long wooden pick. Pour half of syrup over
cake. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert onto plate; pierce top
and sides with long pick. Pour remaining syrup over cake; brush onto
sides until absorbed.

Bourbon Syrup: Melt butter with sugar in a small heavy saucepan; whisk in
bourbon. Bring to a boil; boil, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.

Yield: 1 1/3 cups.

Prep: 30 min., Bake: 1 hr., 10 min.

Source:
"Southern Living, Nov. 1998"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 631 Calories; 34g Fat (48.3%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 73g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 74mg
Cholesterol; 374mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 6 1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bran Bread

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 Cups Flour -- sifted
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons Butter
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Egg -- well beaten
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 Cups Post Bran Flakes -- rolled

Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder, soda, and salt, and sift
again.

Cream butter, add sugar; then add egg, and flour, alternately with milk.

Fold in bran flakes.

Bake in greased loaf pan, 9x4x3 inches, in moderate oven (350 degrees) 1
hour and 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 254 Calories; 9g Fat (32.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 57mg
Cholesterol; 485mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk & Yeast Rolls

Recipe By :Hugh Ann Maxwell, Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Quart Buttermilk -- warmed
1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
2 Packages Yeast
1/2 Cup Warm Water
Flour
1/2 Cup Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

Dissolve yeast in warm water.

Mix buttermilk, shortening, sugar and yeast. Add enough flour to make a
thick batter.

Set to rise double in size.

Mix 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, salt & soda. Add to batter. Add
enough flour to make dough handle until not sticky.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 543 Calories; 36g Fat (58.3%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg
Cholesterol; 901mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 7 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Biscuits

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 Cups Flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
6 Tablespoons Shortening
1 Cup Buttermilk

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and soda into large mixing bowl.

Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse corn
meal.

Make a well in the center of the dough and pour in buttermilk all at
once.

Stir until all is mixed and dough easily leaves the bowl.

Place dough on lightly floured board and knead for 15 turns.

Roll out to desired thickness: 3/8" for crusty biscuits and a little over
1/2" for fluffy biscuits.

Cut into rounds.

Bake in top third of a preheated 450 degree oven for about 12 minutes or
until golden brown.

Makes about 24 standard sized biscuits.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 212 Calories; 10g Fat (43.3%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg
Cholesterol; 427mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Lemon Cake

Recipe By :O'Dills, Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups crisco
4 eggs -- well beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon butter flavoring

Cream sugar and crisco together.

Add eggs and buttermilk.

Sift dry ingredients together and add to buttermilk mixture.

Bake in tube pan for 2 hours at 300 degrees.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3928 Calories; 26g Fat (6.0%
calories from fat); 78g Protein; 847g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;
857mg Cholesterol; 2682mg Sodium. Exchanges: 22 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 33 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Pies

1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell

Cream butter at high speed of an electric mixer; gradually add sugar,
beating well. Add flour, and beat until smooth. Add eggs; beat until
blended. Add buttermilk and vanilla; beat well. Pour filling into pastry
shell. Bake at 400°F for 4 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for an
additional 45 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature; then chill.

Makes one 9 inch pie

Source:
"The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987, 8487-0709-5"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2780 Calories; 109g Fat (34.7%
calories from fat); 30g Protein; 432g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
893mg Cholesterol; 1408mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 20 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Pie 1

Recipe By :Patricia Lemmon, Ford City, Pennsylvania
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies

1/2 cup biscuit and baking mix -- (such as bisquick)
1/4 cup sugar
5 packets sugar substitute with aspartame -- (such as
equal)
1 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons margarine -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cooking spray
2 cups assorted fresh berries
strawberries, blackberries, raspberries

Combine first 7 ingredients in container of an electric blender; process
until smooth. Pour mixture into a 9-inch pieplate coated with cooking
spray. Bake at 325° for 28 to 30 minutes or until set. Serve warm or
chilled. Top each serving with 1/3 cup mixed berries.

Yield: 6 servings.

Per Serving: Calories 203, Protein 7.0g, Fat 8.5g, Carbohydrate 24.7g,
Fiber 1.9g, Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 312mg. Exchanges: 1 Fruit, 1 Milk, 1
1/2 Fat.

"Get the flavor of an old-fashioned buttermilk pie the easy way by
using biscuit and baking mix."
Source:
"Successful Living With Diabetes, July/August 2000"
Copyright:
"Oxmoor House"
Ratings : Points 0-10 4 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 85 Calories; 6g Fat (59.6%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 67mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Pie #1

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 stick oleo -- melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix until smooth.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Yield 1 9" pie.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1559 Calories; 16g Fat (9.3%
calories from fat); 26g Protein; 332g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
640mg Cholesterol; 342mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Pie #2

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 cups buttermilk -- scalded

Cream butter and sugar; add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after
each addition.

Add flour, salt and lemon rind and juice; mix well.

Add hot buttermilk and fold into stiffly beaten egg whites.

Pour into 10" baked pie shell (sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired) and bake
at 425 degrees 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 30 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1846 Calories; 112g Fat (53.7%
calories from fat); 39g Protein; 178g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
903mg Cholesterol; 2704mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 Non-Fat Milk; 21 Fat; 9 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Pie #3

Recipe By :Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

9 " unbaked pie shell
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour -- rounded
3 eggs -- beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 dash nutmeg (optional)

Have butter soft; add sugar; cream together well.

Add flour and eggs; beat well.

Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and nutmeg.

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Place on wire rack to cool completely before servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2780 Calories; 109g Fat (34.7%
calories from fat); 30g Protein; 432g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
893mg Cholesterol; 1408mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 20 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/4 cups flour
1 Cup Butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate -- melted and cooled
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup buttermilk
Chocolate Glaze -- (see Frosting
-- section)

Mix flour with baking soda; set aside.

Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy.

Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended.

Stir in chocolate and nuts.

Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk until smooth and well
blended.

Pour into greased and floured 9x9x2 inch baking pan.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 35 minutes or until pick inserted in
center comes out clean.

Cool on rack.

Pour warm chocolate glaze on cake the spread with spatula and let set.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d on 4/8/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3600 Calories; 273g Fat (65.9%
calories from fat); 59g Protein; 259g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber;
1137mg Cholesterol; 3927mg Sodium. Exchanges: 10 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 51 1/2 Fat; 6 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups sugar
2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup butter or shortening
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup buttermilk and cocoa in pan over low heat
until warm.

Cream 1 cup sugar, butter and eggs.

Mix together 1 cup buttermilk and soda, and add to creamed mixture
alternating with a combination of flour, salt and vanilla. Mix this
second mixture with first mixture of sugar, buttermilk and cocoa; beat
with mixer until of cake batter consistency.

Bake at 350 degrees, very slowly in greased 9x13x2 inch pan until done.

Ice cake in pan.

Yield: 16 servings.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d on 4/8/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2964 Calories; 26g Fat (7.4%
calories from fat); 67g Protein; 651g Carbohydrate; 29g Dietary Fiber;
441mg Cholesterol; 2068mg Sodium. Exchanges: 15 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2
Lean Meat; 2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Lover's Fantasy

Recipe By :Hershey Kitchens, Hershey Pennsylvania
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chocolate Desserts

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk*
creamy chocolate filling
rich chocolate glaze
pink candy curls -- optional
milk chocolate curls -- optional

Grease and flour two 9x1 1/2- round baking pans. In a medium bowl, stir
together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and soda; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high
speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Add
eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture
and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after
each addition just until combined. Divide batter between pans, spreading
evenly. Bake in a 350°F oven about 30 minutes or until tops spring back
when lightly touched and toothpick inserted off-center comes out clean.
Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely
on wire racks.

To assemble, place a cake layer on wire rack set on a cookie sheet lined
with waxed paper. Spread with Creamy Chocolate Filling. Top with second
cake layer; spoon Rich Chocolate Glaze over cake letting it run down side
of cake. Chill at least 1 hour or until glaze is set. To serve, transfer
cake to serving plate; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Garnish with Pink Candy Curls and Milk Chocolate Curls, if desired. Store
leftovers in the refrigerator. Serves 16.

Creamy Chocolate Filling: In medium mixing bowl, stir together 1/4 cup
sugar and 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 1/2 cup cold whipping
cream and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or with electric
mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Use immediately.

Rich Chocolate Glaze: In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup
light-colored corn syrup, and 1 Tbsp. water. Cook over medium heat,
stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4
cup semisweet chocolate pieces until melted. Cool to room temperature.

Pink Candy Curls. Cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Set aside. Place
1/3 cup white baking pieces and 1 1/2 tsp. shortening in medium
microwave-safe bowl. Micro-cook on high for 30 seconds; stir. Micro-cook
30 to 60 seconds more or until pieces are melted and mixture is smooth,
stirring after 15 seconds. Tint with one drop red food coloring. On
prepared cookie sheet, use metal spatula to spread mixture into a 4-inch
flat square. Refrigerate 10 minutes or until mixture is set. Carefully
draw a vegetable peeler across mixture to make curls. If necessary, chill
curls to harden.

Milk Chocolate Curls. Bring a milk chocolate bar to room temperature;
carefully draw a vegetable peeler across bar to make curls of assorted
sizes.

Per serving: 320 calories, 15 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 61 mg
cholesterol, 196 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Dietary exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates.

*To make sour milk, place 4 1/2 tsp. lemon juice in a glass measuring
cup. Add enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand 5
minutes before using.

Source:
"Hometown Cooking, Feb. 2000"
Copyright:
"Better Homes & Gardens"
Ratings : Points 0-10 8 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 188 Calories; 7g Fat (31.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 42mg
Cholesterol; 138mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1
1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : cakes & frostings Chocolate

1 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk
16 ounces powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Cook first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat;
stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and pecans.

Yield: about 2 1/2 cups.

Source:
"Southern Living April 1999"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 370 Calories; 21g Fat (49.0%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 50mg
Cholesterol; 201mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate-oatmeal Cupcakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Butter -- softened
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Unsweetened Chocolate Squares -- melted and
cooled
2/3 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats -- quick cooking
Frosting

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream butter, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.

Stir in chocolate until well blended.

Stir in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk until well blended.

Stir in oats.

Place sixteen 1 1/2" paper baking cups on cookie sheet and fill cups with
batter.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 12 minutes or until pick inserted in
center comes out clean.

Cool, frost each with 1 Tbsp. frosting and nuts if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 673 Calories; 27g Fat (34.8%
calories from fat); 13g Protein; 101g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;
138mg Cholesterol; 745mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cocola Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 stick oleo
1/2 cup crisco
3 tablespoons coco
1 cup coke cola
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Eggs -- beat by hand
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla

In saucepan place oleo, crisco, cocoa and coke. Simmer till all
ingredients are well dissolved.

Sift flour and salt together, add sugar. Mix well.

Beat eggs, add buttermilk, soda, miniature marshmallows and vanilla.

Mix all ingredients together by hand.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes till done.

NOTE: You can put marshmallows in hot mix to dissolve some, just before
putting all ingredients together.

ICING: 1 Stick oleo 3 Tbsp. coco 1/2 Cup cocoa cola

In sauce pan put all ingredients and simmer on stove top 5 to 8 minutes.
Add 1 box of powdered sugar, mix well. Pour over cake while hot.

Cut in squares to serve.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT 4.011 on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2828 Calories; 13g Fat (4.3%
calories from fat); 43g Protein; 639g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;
428mg Cholesterol; 833mg Sodium. Exchanges: 12 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 29 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut-Pecan White Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Simply Perfect Chocolate, BH&G Pub., 1998
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Cakes & Tortes
Sent

1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
3/4 cup water
4 ounces white baking bar -- chopped
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 slightly beaten eggs
1/4 teaspoon rum extract
1 cup toasted chopped pecans
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
4 ounces white baking bar -- chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
11 ounces cream cheese -- softened
6 cups sifted powdered sugar
toasted coconut -- optional
toasted pecan halves -- optional

Grease and flour three 9xl 1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. Bring
butter or margarine and water to boiling in large saucepan, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat. Add baking bar; stir till melted. Stir in
buttermilk, eggs, and rum extract.

Stir together the 1/2 cup flour and the pecans; set aside. Stir together
the 3 cups flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and baking powder in an
extra-large bowl. Stir in egg mixture. Fold in pecan mixture. Divide
batter among pans.

Bake in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till cakes test done. Cool
in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool on
racks.

To assemble, place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup
of the White Chocolate Frosting. Repeat with second cake layer and
another 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and
sides with remaining frosting. If desired garnish with toasted coconut
and/or pecan halves.

Makes 16 servings

White Chocolate Frosting: Melt 4 ounces chopped white baking bar. Cool
for 10 minutes. Beat 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine and one 8-ounce
and one 3-ounce package softened cream cheese with an electric mixer till
combined. Beat in baking bar. Gradually add 6 cups sifted powdered sugar
beating till smooth.

Nutrition facts per serving: 776 calories, 41 g total fat (113 g
saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 98 g carbohydrate, 1 g
dietary fiber, 8 g protein. Daily Values: 39% vitamin A, 12% Iron.

Ratings : Points 10-20 9 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 716 Calories; 35g Fat (43.7%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 96g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 84mg
Cholesterol; 442mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 7 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Bread #2

Recipe By :Mrs. Blanch F. Tosch, Reinhardt Club
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups cornmeal
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 Eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix cornmeal and shortening.

Pour boiling water over the mixture, stirring briskly.

Add balance of ingredients and beat thoroughly.

Pour into a hot well greased pan and dust with flour.

Bake to a golden brown color with oven at 450 degrees.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT 4.011 on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1489 Calories; 42g Fat (25.8%
calories from fat); 44g Protein; 229g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber;
433mg Cholesterol; 3523mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 6 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cornsticks

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted red pepper -- optional

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Liberally oil a cornstick mold and
set it in the oven to preheat.

2. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeat, baking powder, salt,
sugar and black pepper.

3. In a small bowl, beat together the oil, eggs and buttermilk. When
the oven is throughly preheated pour the liquid ingredients into to dry
and mix until blended. Stir in the chopped red pepper. Evenly
distruibute about 2 tablespoon of the batter into each depression of the
hot cornstick mold and bake for 15 minutes, or until crusty outside and a
toothpick insertted in the center comes out clean.

4. Transfer the cooked cornstick to a rack, reoil the mold and reath it
for 15 minutes. Repeat the filling and baking process until all the
batter has been used.

Yeild about 20 cornstickes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 949 Calories; 35g Fat (33.3%
calories from fat); 23g Protein; 135g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;
216mg Cholesterol; 1977mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 6 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Use cast iron cornstick mold to make these.
The roasted red pepper add flavor and color to this recipe it is equaly
good without it.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Devil's Food Cookies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/4 cup margarine -- softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable cooking spray
2 teaspoons sifted powdered sugar

Cream margarine; add 2/3 cup sugar, and beat at medium speed of an
electric
mixer until blended. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and egg whites; beat well.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture,
mixing
well.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets coated
with
cooking spray. Bake at 350 deg for 7 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool
completely on wire racks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yield: 2-1/2
dozen
(serving size: 1 cookie).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1882 Calories; 52g Fat (25.1%
calories from fat); 41g Protein; 311g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber;
4mg Cholesterol; 2589mg Sodium. Exchanges: 9 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 9 Fat; 11 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dot's Orange Slice Cake

Recipe By ot Williams, Beech Island, SC
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups pecans
8 ounces dates
1 pound orange slice candy
1 can coconut flakes
Icing
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pound powdered sugar

Cream sugar and butter, add eggs. Beat well, add flour and milk. Roll
nuts dates and candy in part of flour, add to batter along with coconut.

bake 2 1/2 hours at 275 degrees. Leaave in pan to cool.

Mix icing ingredients and coat cake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 9350 Calories; 381g Fat (35.6%
calories from fat); 101g Protein; 1446g Carbohydrate; 47g Dietary Fiber;
1349mg Cholesterol; 3758mg Sodium. Exchanges: 24 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4
1/2 Lean Meat; 14 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 71 1/2 Fat; 57 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dump Cake

Recipe By :Janis Alling
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 stick oleo
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup water
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour, sugar, oleo and shortening together.

In saucepan mix water and cocoa. Let come to boil, then add to flour
mixture.

Mix soda and buttermilk. Add to mixture. Add eggs and vanilla.

Bake.

ICING: 4 Tbsp. cocoa 1 Tbsp. oleo 6 Tbsp. milk

Let come to a boil. Dump in 1 box powdered sugar. Add nuts and
vanilla.

Ice cake while cake is hot.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3623 Calories; 119g Fat (28.9%
calories from fat); 47g Protein; 610g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber;
428mg Cholesterol; 289mg Sodium. Exchanges: 13 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 22 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gather Round Pound Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

6 ounces butterscotch morsels
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1/4 cup water
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 Eggs

Melt together in double boiler butterscotch morsels, instant coffee and
water.

Cream butter and sugar. Blend into butterscotch mixture.

Combine flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture, alternately with
buttermilk.

Add eggs, one at a time.

Beat at medium speed.

Bake in greased Bundt pan at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

Cool 10 minutes before removing.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5195 Calories; 215g Fat (36.8%
calories from fat); 72g Protein; 759g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber;
1366mg Cholesterol; 2965mg Sodium. Exchanges: 19 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 40 Fat; 31 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

German Chocolate Pound Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
4 Eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 package German chocolate

Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk.

Sift together flour. soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well.

Then add German chocolate that has been softened in warm over or double
boiler.

Blend together well.

Cook in 9" stem pan that has been greased and dusted with flour for 1
1/2 hours at 300 degrees.

Remove cake from pan while still hot and place under a thigh fitting
cake cover and leave covered until cold.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5036 Calories; 230g Fat (40.9%
calories from fat); 69g Protein; 679g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber;
857mg Cholesterol; 1614mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3
Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 43 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

German Fruitcake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
4 Eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon soda
2/3 cup cherry preserves
2/3 cup apricot preserves
2/3 cup pineapple preserves
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light.

Sift flour, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg together.

Add soda to buttermilk.

Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately to creamed mixture,
mixing after each addition.

Fold in preserves, pecans and vanilla.

Bake in 2 greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pans or 1 large tube pan
at 325 degrees 1 1/2 hours.

Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing cakes.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6378 Calories; 246g Fat (33.7%
calories from fat); 86g Protein; 999g Carbohydrate; 26g Dietary Fiber;
1229mg Cholesterol; 2127mg Sodium. Exchanges: 20 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4
Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 45 Fat; 45 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

German Sweet Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

4 ounces Baker's German Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 Egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 Egg whites -- stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time,
beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and chocolate.

Sift flour with soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to
chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.

Fold in beaten whites.

Pour into three 8 or 9 inch layer pans, lined on bottom with paper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Frost tops only.

Can use coconut-pecan frosting for tops. (see frosting section).

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4577 Calories; 209g Fat (40.7%
calories from fat); 58g Protein; 628g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
1356mg Cholesterol; 4715mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat
Milk; 40 Fat; 41 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

German Sweet Chocolate Cake 1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings Chocolate

4 ounces baker's® german's sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites
CLASSIC COCONUT-PECAN FILLING AND FROSTING***
12 ounces evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
4 egg yolks -- slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
7 ounces baker'® angel flake coconut -- about 2 2/3 cups
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

HEAT oven to 350°F. Line bottoms of 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with
waxed paper.

MICROWAVE chocolate and water in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 1/2 to
2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through
heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

MIX flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in
large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in
chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with
buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth.

BEAT egg whites in another large bowl with electric mixer on high speed
until they form stiff peaks. Gently stir into batter Pour batter into
prepared pans.

BAKE 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center
Immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pans. Cool in pans 15
minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper Cool completely on wire
racks.

SPREAD Classic Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting between layers and over
top of cake.

Makes 12 servings

Prep time: 40 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes

Classic Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting: STIR milk, sugar, butter, egg
yolks and vanilla in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture
thickens and is golden brown, about 12 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.

STIR in coconut and pecans. Cool until room temperature and of spreading
consistency.

Makes about 4 1/2 cups

Prep time: 20 minutes

Source:
"Grandma's Baking Secrets, Fav. Brand Names#24"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 732 Calories; 43g Fat (51.6%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 81g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 223mg
Cholesterol; 498mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 8 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Holiday Fruit Drops

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup shortening
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup soured milk -- buttermilk, or water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups broken pecans
2 cups candied cherries -- halved
2 cups cut-up dates

1. Mix shortening, sugar and eggs well.
2. Stir in soured milk.
3. Blend dry ingredients.
4. Stir in to wet mixture.
5. Stir in the pecans, cherries and dates.
6. Chill at least 1 hour.
7. Heat oven to 400 F.
8. Drop heaping teaspoons of dough about 2" apart on lightly greased
cookie
sheet.
9. Place a pecan half on each cookie if desired.
10.Bake 8 to 10 minutes until almost no imprint remains when touched
lightly.

Makes 8 dozen.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º
Linda Van Ess

I don't have an author for this one...if it is yours, let me know.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5792 Calories; 220g Fat (33.8%
calories from fat); 59g Protein; 911g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber;
424mg Cholesterol; 2694mg Sodium. Exchanges: 22 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 42 Fat; 38 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Holiday Nut Breads

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 Eggs
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.

Blend all ingredients in large mixer bowl on low speed 15 seconds. Beat
on medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.

Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean, 60 to 65 minutes.

Immediately remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Garnish
top of nut bread with maraschino cherries and sliced green candied
pineapple if desired.

For better slicing, refrigerate bread overnight.

Notes: If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder, salt and baking
soda and substitute whole milk for the buttermilk.

To substitute soured milk for the buttermilk, add 1 1/4 cups whole milk
to 1 Tbsp. vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes. Use with all-purpose and
unbleached flour only.

Unbleached flour can be use in this recipe.

CHERRY NUT BREAD: Reduce buttermilk to 1 cup and add 1/4 cup maraschino
cherry juice. After beating, stir in 1/2 cup chopped drained maraschino
cherries. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes.

DATE NUT BREAD: Substitute date mixture for the buttermilk. For date
mixture, add 1 1/2 cups boiling water to 1 1/2 cups cut-up-dates. Stir
and let cool. Bake 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes.

BANANA NUT BREAD: Substitute 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas and 1/3 cup whole
milk for the buttermilk. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes.

PUMPKIN NUT BREAD: Substitute 1 cup canned pumpkin and 2/3 cup whole
milk for the buttermilk. Add 1/2 Tsp. each cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.

CRANBERRY-CHEESE BREAD: Substitute 1 cup whole milk for the buttermilk.
After beating stir in 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries mixed
with 2 Tsp. grated orange peel and 2 Tsp. orange juice. Stir in 1 cup
shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15
minutes.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3147 Calories; 147g Fat (41.1%
calories from fat); 79g Protein; 394g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber;
435mg Cholesterol; 7633mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2
Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 25 1/2 Fat; 7 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Homestyle Cornbread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup sifted flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour milk -- or buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted shortening

Sift four, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into
mixing bowl.
Combine sugar and egg, beat until light. add milk or buttermilk and
shortening. Combine slowly with dry ingredients. If mixture is too
thick add a little more milk as needed to make a thin batter.
Stir only until ingredients are mixed.
Grease pan 9x9x2 generoulsly., sprinkle with cornmeal.
Pour batter in pan and bake in hot oven (425 degrees) about 25 minutes or
until nicely browned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1148 Calories; 8g Fat (6.6%
calories from fat); 30g Protein; 235g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;
212mg Cholesterol; 2747mg Sodium. Exchanges: 13 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Nut Bread

Recipe By :Gladys Wotipka
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
2/3 cup raisins
2 tablespoons shortening or butter
1 cup honey
1 Egg -- beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 cup pecans

Put raisins in sieve, and dash hot water over them.

Using a deep bowl cream shortening and honey. Add egg.

Stir in buttermilk with dry ingredients. Add orange rind and nuts last.

Line bottom of loaf pan with wax paper.

Let stand for 15 minutes.

Bake at 300 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3331 Calories; 83g Fat (21.5%
calories from fat); 57g Protein; 625g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber;
218mg Cholesterol; 1849mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 5 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 14 1/2 Fat; 18 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hush Puppies

Recipe By :Ann Maxwell
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups corn meal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 Egg
3 tablespoons minced onions
1 Cub buttermilk
Hot peppers -- if desired, chopped
1/2 cup oleo
2/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients and deep fry.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 140 Calories; 5g Fat (32.6%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 212mg
Cholesterol; 2695mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat;
1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hush Puppy Puffs

Recipe By :Miss Lucille Smith, Cleveland, South Carolina
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 Egg -- slightly beaten
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
Salad oil -- or shortening

Combine dry ingredients; add buttermilk, egg and onion, stirring well.

Carefully drop batter by tablespoonfuls into deep hot oil; cook only a
few at a time, turning once.

Fry until hush puppies are golden brown (3 to 5 minutes).

Drain well on absorbent towels.

Yield: about 2 dozen

Miss Lucille Smith, Cleveland, South Carolina

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 949 Calories; 9g Fat (9.0%
calories from fat); 32g Protein; 181g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;
218mg Cholesterol; 3592mg Sodium. Exchanges: 10 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Irish Soda Bread

Recipe By :The Dallas Morning News.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats -- uncooked
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon caraway seed -- optional
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup raisins
1 tablespoon butter -- melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ingredients except buttermilk, raisins and butter; mix well.

Gradually stir in buttermilk and raisins, mixing just until dry
ingredients are moist.

Knead on lightly floured surface about 1 minute or until smooth. Shape
dough into a ball. Place on well greased cookie sheet; flatten to form
7-inch circle. Cut a cross into loaf, 1/4 inch deep.

Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes or until light golden brown.

Brush with butter. Remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/9/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 515 Calories; 15g Fat (25.4%
calories from fat); 14g Protein; 88g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 42mg
Cholesterol; 4712mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fruit; 1 Non-Fat
Milk; 3 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Cream Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

1 stick butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 eggs -- separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
FROSTING:
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
2 sticks butter or margarine
2 1-pound packages confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8-inch cake pans. Beat butter,
sugar, and shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer set at
medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; mix well.

Combine buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Add to bowl alternately
with flour, mixing after each addition. Beat egg whites with an electric
mixer set at high speed until soft peaks form.

Stir in egg whites gently. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spoon batter into
prepared pans. Bake until cake tests done, about 30 minutes. Cool in pans
for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.

Combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla in a
large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Frost and fill cake.

VARIATION: Turn this into a wholesome carrot cake by substituting 1 cup
shredded carrots for the coconut.

Source:
"Easy Everyday Cooking"
S(MC-Recipes):
on 11 Jan 2000"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 543 Calories; 40g Fat (65.9%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 144mg
Cholesterol; 377mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 7 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jam Cake #1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter
3 Eggs
1 Cup jam
1 cup raisins
Flavoring
Cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
FILLING:
2 tablespoons butter -- melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
Powder sugar

Melt butter in boiler, add brown sugar and milk, let it come to a boil,
take off and let cool, put enough powder sugar in to make a thick paste.
Spread on cake.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5265 Calories; 168g Fat (27.9%
calories from fat); 66g Protein; 911g Carbohydrate; 18g Dietary Fiber;
1042mg Cholesterol; 2549mg Sodium. Exchanges: 15 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2
1/2 Lean Meat; 7 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 31 Fat; 36 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jam Cake #2

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 Egg yolks
1 1/4 teaspoons soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon all-spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
4 Egg whites -- beaten stiffly
2 cups blackberry jam

Cream butter and sugar together; add yolks of eggs one at a time, and
mix well.

Put soda in milk, stir, and add to first mixture.

Sift flour and spices together and add to mixture.

Add the stiffly beaten egg whites, and lastly the jam. Mix well and
bake in three layers in 9 inch layer pans.

Bake in moderate hot oven, (375 degrees) for 35 minutes.

Frost with Caramel Icing,

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6922 Calories; 213g Fat (27.0%
calories from fat); 88g Protein; 1206g Carbohydrate; 24g Dietary Fiber;
1352mg Cholesterol; 2526mg Sodium. Exchanges: 25 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3
Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 40 Fat; 54 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Johnny Cash's Cornbread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/2 cups cornmeal -- self rising
1 1/2 cups flour -- self rising
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 onion -- chopped
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, then add eggs and
buttermilk and chopped onions.

Pour into skillet and bake at 350 to 375 degrees oven about 1 hour or
until done.

Take out of the oven and pour melted butter on top of cornbread and let
set 10 minutes before cutting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2794 Calories; 113g Fat (36.6%
calories from fat); 74g Protein; 368g Carbohydrate; 23g Dietary Fiber;
696mg Cholesterol; 5148mg Sodium. Exchanges: 19 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 20 Fat; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This is a very good cornbread.

Gotten from a TV show with Johnnie Cash describing his cornbread and
giving directions for it.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Cream Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:11
Categories : Pies

1 cup low-fat cinnamon graham cracker crumbs -- (about
7 crackers)
1/4 cup reduced-calorie margarine -- melted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch -- plus
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping -- thawed
lemon zest -- optional
lemon rind curls -- optional
fresh mint sprigs -- optional

Preheat oven to 350°.

In bowl, combine cracker crumbs and margarine, stirring well. Press onto
bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until
golden. Remove from oven; let cool on wire rack.

In saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in water
and buttermilk. Over medium heat, cook 1 minute, until mixture comes to a
boil, stirring constantly.

Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into egg substitute; add
egg substitute mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
Over medium heat, cook 2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon rind and lemon juice.

Spoon lemon mixture into prepared crust. Cover; chill at least 2 hours.
Spread whipped topping over filling just before serving. Garnish with
lemon zest, lemon rind curls and fresh mint sprigs.

Servings: Makes 8
Preparation time: About 11 minutes
Cooking time: About 16 minutes
Chilling time: About 2 hours

Per serving: About 251 calories, 4 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat,
25 % calories from fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.

Source:
"Woman's Day Eating Light, Summer 2000"
Copyright:
"Hachette Filipacchi Magazines, Inc."
Start to Finish Time:
"2:27"
Ratings : Points 0-10 5 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 186 Calories; 5g Fat (27.1%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 141mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Traditional Lemon Cream Pie gets a healthy makeover with nonfat
buttermilk, a fat-free egg replacer and a low-fat cinnamon graham-cracker
crust.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake 1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine -- at room
temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
4 egg whites
LEMON GLAZE:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoon whole milk
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
sugared strawberries and sugared lemon rind --
optional:
lemon rind
maple syrup
granulated sugar

Heat oven to 325°. Grease 12-cup (10-inch) tube or Bundt pan. Dust with
flour; tap out excess.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl.

Beat together butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl until light
and fluffy. Beat in the 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to egg mixture. starting
and ending with flour mixture and beating well after each addition. Beat
until smooth. Beat in poppy seeds and lemon rind.

Beat 4 egg whites in large bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in the
remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into batter until no
streaks of white remain. Scrape into prepared pan.

Bake in 325° oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until top springs hack when
lightly touched with finger. Let stand 15 minutes. With spatula, loosen
cake around center tube and sides; invert onto wire rack. Let cake cool
completely.

Spoon or drizzle Lemon Glaze over top of cake, letting it drip down the
sides. Garnish with the sugared strawberries and rind, if desired.

LEMON GLAZE:

Whisk together 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons whole milk, 2
teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice and 1/8
teaspoon salt in small bowl until well blended and smooth. Stir in more
milk, drop by drop, until a good drizzling consistency.

SUGARED STRAWBERRIES AND SUGARED LEMON RIND:

Remove lemon rind with a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler; cut into very
thin strips. Lightly brush lemon rind and strawberries with pure maple
syrup. Lightly sprinkle the rind and strawberries with granulated sugar.

Makes: 14 servings.
Prep: 30 minutes.
Bake: at 325° for 45 to 50 minutes.

"Wind up a wonderful evening with a cup of coffee and a slice of this
cake."
Source:
"Family Circle Holiday Cakes & Cookies, 12/2000"
Copyright:
"©2000 Gruner + Jahr USA Publishing"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 3g Fat (14.7%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 46mg
Cholesterol; 318mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemony White Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :Simply Perfect Chocolate, BH&G Pub., 1998
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Cakes & Tortes
Sent

4 ounces white baking bar -- coarsely chopped
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites
LEMON BUTTER FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar

Grease and lightly flour three 9xl 1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.

Combine white baking bar and water in a small saucepan. Heat and stir
constantly over low heat till baking bar melts; set aside to cool.

Beat butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on
medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating till
combined. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in baking bar mixture, vanilla, and lemon peel. Combine flour,
baking powder, and baking soda in another bowl. Add dry ingredients and
buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, mixing well after each
addition.

Wash beaters thoroughly. Beat egg whites in another mixing bowl till
stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold beaten egg whites
into flour mixture. Divide batter among prepared pans.

Bake in a 350°F oven about 25 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted
in the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10
minutes. Loosen edges of cakes from pans. Remove cakes from pans. Cool on
racks.

Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1/2 cup Lemon Butter
Frosting over top of cake layer. Repeat with second cake layer and
another 1/2 cup frosting. Top with third cake layer. Frost top and sides
of the cake with the remaining frosting.

Makes 16 servings

Lemon Butter Frosting: Beat 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine till
fluffy. Gradually add 3 cups sifted powdered sugar beating well. Slowly
beat in 1/3 cup lemon juice and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Slowly beat in 3 3/4
cups sifted powdered sugar. Beat in additional sifted powdered sugar or
lemon juice, if necessary, to make of spreading consistency.

Nutrition facts per serving: 468 calories, 15 g total fat (4 g saturated
fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrate, 0 g dietary
fiber, 4 g protein. Daily Value: 22% vitamin A.

Ratings : Points 10-20 1 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 477 Calories; 16g Fat (29.1%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 81g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
85mg Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Linda's Pie

Recipe By :Janis Alling
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Deep dish frozen pie crust
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup buttermilk
3 Eggs
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutmeg

Mix in blender and pour in uncooked crust.

Put crust in oven and pour from blender to keep from spilling.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2393 Calories; 109g Fat (40.4%
calories from fat); 30g Protein; 332g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
893mg Cholesterol; 1407mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 20 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Cornbread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup cornmeal -- self rising
1/3 cup melted shortening -- Or corn oil
2 eggs -- beaten
1 cup cream corn
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 jalapeno pepper -- chopped
1 onion -- grated

Combine cornmeal, shortening and eggs. Mix well. Stir in corn, onion and
buttermilk, mix well. spoon one half the mixture in a greased 12 inch
skillet, sprinkle cheese and chopped peppers over mixture and cover with
other half of cormneal mixture.
Bake at 275 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. (I bake for 1 hour in my oven)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1228 Calories; 51g Fat (38.0%
calories from fat); 60g Protein; 129g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber;
548mg Cholesterol; 1020mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean
Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 6 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mixed Nut Bars

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 32 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars Cookies

3/4 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine -- melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely chopped mixed nuts -- (no peanuts)
sifted powdered sugar optional

BEAT the 3/4 cup butter or margarine, the brown sugar, and the 1 3/4 cups
flour till well-combined (mixture will be crumbly). Pat mixture onto
bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake in a
350° oven for 10 minutes.

MEANWHILE, beat together granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, buttermilk,
eggs, the 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine, and vanilla with an
electric mixer on low speed till combined. Stir in nuts. Pour into crust.

BAKE in a 350° oven for 25 minutes or till golden and center is set. Cool
in pan on a wire rack. Store in refrigerator. To serve, cut into bars and
sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

Makes 32.

"The bars cut and serve better after chilling. Cover and refrigerate
any leftovers, too."
Source:
"Christmas Cookies 2000, Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest
Publication"
Copyright:
"Meredith Corporation ©2000"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 139 Calories; 6g Fat (40.8%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
36mg Cholesterol; 74mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moist Devil's Food Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2/3 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup hot water

Cream shortening, add sugar gradually and cream thoroughly.

Add eggs and vanilla and mix.

Sift together flour, cocoa, soda and salt.

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.

Add hot water last.

Place in layer pans.,

Place in preheated 400 degree oven; reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake
2\30 minutes.

Frost with a chocolate frosting of your choice.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 4014 Calories; 157g Fat (34.2%
calories from fat); 49g Protein; 629g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber;
433mg Cholesterol; 1488mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 29 1/2 Fat; 39 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mother Laniers Jam Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

5 Eggs
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 Cup nuts
1 Cup jam
1 Box mince meat
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup wine
2 Egg whites -- beaten stiff
2 cups sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup Karo
1/2 cup water

Cream butter and 2 cups sugar, add the 5 eggs and beat well. Add flour,
nuts, jam, mince meat, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg.

Put soda in buttermilk, mix well. Then add to flour mixture. Add wine.

Bake in 2 or 3 cakes pans.

In a sauce pan combine 2 cups sugar, Karo and water. Boil until spent
thread or water test for thickness.

Beat egg whites well and add to sugar mixture. Add coconut and raisins.

Spread on cake.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 9007 Calories; 322g Fat (31.5%
calories from fat); 117g Protein; 1462g Carbohydrate; 43g Dietary Fiber;
1561mg Cholesterol; 2737mg Sodium. Exchanges: 21 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2
Lean Meat; 8 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 58 1/2 Fat; 67 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mrytle's Ginger Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup syrup
1 cup shortening
1 cup warm water -- or buttermilk
2 Eggs.

Mix well and bake.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3954 Calories; 209g Fat (47.2%
calories from fat); 39g Protein; 487g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 1083mg Sodium. Exchanges: 19 Grain(Starch); 41 Fat; 13
1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old-fashioned Jam Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 cup sweet cream butter -- softened
1 cup sugar
4 Eggs
1 cup peach jam
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup currants -- dredged in flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease three 8" round cake pans.

In large mixer bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

` Blend in jam and lemon extract.

Mix together flour, soda, cinnamon, baking powder and allspice. Add dry
ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Fold in currants.

Turn into pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in
center comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.

Spread Cream Cheese Butter Icing between layers and on top of cake. (See
recipe.)

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3611 Calories; 161g Fat (38.7%
calories from fat); 41g Protein; 531g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber;
1229mg Cholesterol; 2201mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean
Meat; 7 Fruit; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 29 1/2 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Onion Butter Casserole Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 1/3 cups buttermilk biscuit mix
3/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/3 cup sweet cream butter -- softened
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Egg
1 Cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole.

In medium bowl combine biscuit mix, dill weed and celery seed. Cut in
butter until mixture resembles a fine meal. Stir in onion.

Combine egg and milk; add to biscuit mix. Stir just until ingredients
are moistened.

Turn into casserole. About 1" from edge of casserole, cut through
batter with a knife making a circle.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in
center comes out clean.

Brush immediately with Topping. Cool 10 minutes; remove from casserole.
Serve warm.

TOPPING: 2 Tbsp. sweet cream butter, melted 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
cheese

Combine ingredients.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 802 Calories; 75g Fat (82.5%
calories from fat); 16g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
411mg Cholesterol; 820mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 14 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pecan Pie Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories : cakes & frostings

CAKE
3 cups finely chopped pecans -- toasted and divided
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs -- separated
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
PECAN PIE FILLING
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
pastry garnish
1 15 ounce package refrigerated pie crusts
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
24 pecan halves

Sprinkle 2 cups pecans evenly into three generously buttered 9-inch round
cake pans; shake to coat bottoms and sides of pans.

Beat 1/2 cup butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer
until fluffy ; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a
time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Add flour and baking soda to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk,
beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed until blended after
each addition. Stir in remaining 1 cup pecans.

Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold 1/3 of
whites into the batter. Fold in remaining whites. (Do not overmix). Pour
batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350F. for 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pans on wire racks 10
minutes. Invert layers onto waxed paper-lined racks. Brush tops and sides
of layers with corn syrup, and cool completely.

Spread half of Pecan Pie Filling on one layer, pecan side up. Place a
second layer, pecan side up, on filling; spread with remaining filling.
Top with remaining layer, pecan side up.

Arrange Pastry Garnish on and around cake, if desired.

Pecan Pie Filling: Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a heavy 3-quart
saucepan until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking
constantly; boil 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in
butter and vanilla. Place a sheet of waxed paper directly on the surface
of mixture to prevent a film from forming, and refrigerate 4 hours.

Pastry Garnish: Unfold piecrusts, and press out fold lines. Cut 8-10
leaves from each piecrust with a 3-inch leaf shaped cutter, and mark leaf
veins with a knife. Reserve pastry trimmings. Whisk the egg and water
together, and brush on pastry leaves.

Crumple 10-12 small aluminum foil pieces into 1/2-inch balls. Coat with
cooking spray, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drape a
pastry leaf over each ball; place remaining leaves on baking sheet.

Bake at 425F for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack 10
minutes. Gently remove foil from leaves.

Pinch 12 pea-sized pieces from pastry trimmings. Place between pecan
halves, forming sandwiches. Cut remaining pastry into 2-inch pieces; wrap
around pecan sandwiches, leaving jagged edges to resemble half-shelled
pecans. Brush with egg mixture. Place on baking sheet.

Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.

Source:
"Southern Living October 1998"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 945 Calories; 46g Fat (43.0%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 125g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
269mg Cholesterol; 602mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 8 1/2 Fat; 5 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pecan Pie Cake 1

[...]

Pecan Spice Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

CAKE:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups butter -- at room temperature
1 3/4 cups packed dark-brown sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
4 ounces pecan halves
GLAZE:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water

Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 10-inch (12 cup) tube pan.

Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and
salt into large bowl.

Mix together buttermilk and vanilla in small bowl.

Beat butter in bowl at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in
brown sugar until fluffy, 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. At low
speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk
mixture. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour into tube pan. Arrange pecan halves
on top. Cover loosely with foil.

Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20
minutes, until pick inserted in crack on top comes out with moist crumb
attached. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 20 minutes.

Glaze: Bring sugar and water to boil in small saucepan until sugar is
dissolved, about 1 minute. Lift cake out of pan. Place waxed paper under
rack; place cake on rack. Brush cake with glaze. Cool completely. (Cake
can be made several weeks ahead; wrap in plastic wrap, then foil; freeze.
Thaw overnight in refrigerator.)

Makes: 24 servings.
Prep: 35 minutes.
Bake: at 350° for 1 hour 40 minutes.

"Sweet, nutty and delicious."
Source:
"Family Circle Holiday Cakes & Cookies, 12/2000"
Copyright:
"©2000 Gruner + Jahr USA Publishing"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 266 Calories; 20g Fat (65.6%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 84mg
Cholesterol; 249mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Piney Woods Hush Puppies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 Egg -- beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups cooking oil -- about

Mix all dry ingredients; beat milk and egg together and combine with dry
ingredients; batter should hold its shape when picked up on spoon. If it
is too soft, add more cornmeal.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls into 350 degree fat and cook about 1 1/2
minutes; turn and cook on second side 1 minute. Allow oil to heat a few
seconds after removing a batch.

Delicious freshly cooked and hot; however hush puppies freeze well.
When ready to serve frozen hush puppies; place on oven rack in heat until
very hot and crisp.

Makes about 48 hush puppies 2" round.

HINTS ON FRYING: Using a small diameter heavy saucepan allows using a
minimum of oil; a 5 or 6 inch pan with oil 1 1/2 inches deep and heated
to 350 degrees will cook three hush puppies in about 2 1/2 minutes. When
batter consistency is correct and oil is at 350 degrees, hush puppies
will become firm, round shapes almost as soon as they enter the hot oil.
If they are cooked in oil that is too hot, they will not cook in the
center.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3324 Calories; 336g Fat (89.6%
calories from fat); 24g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
229mg Cholesterol; 4179mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 2 Non-Fat Milk; 66 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prune Cake #2

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cooked prunes
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs; beat until creamy, about 2
minutes.

Add prunes and mix; add sifted dry ingredients alternately with
buttermilk mixed with vanilla. Beat all ingredients until smooth.

Pour into greased and floured tube pan and bake at 350 degrees about 50
minutes until golden brown and spring to tough.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3116 Calories; 108g Fat (30.9%
calories from fat); 34g Protein; 509g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 2836mg Sodium. Exchanges: 13 Grain(Starch); 1 Non-Fat
Milk; 21 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prune Loaf

Recipe By :Irene L. (1965)
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup prune pulp -- stewed prunes
-- without sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon soda
4 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves or nutmeg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Pinch salt

Cream prune pulp, sugar and butter together.

Add eggs, buttermilk, soda, cinnamon, cloves, flour and salt.

Bake in greased and floured loaf pan at 350 degrees.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2448 Calories; 104g Fat (38.0%
calories from fat); 35g Protein; 348g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber;
674mg Cholesterol; 1281mg Sodium. Exchanges: 9 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 19 Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prune Loaf Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup prunes
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Eggs
4 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Pinch salt

Mix all ingredients and bake.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2433 Calories; 14g Fat (5.0%
calories from fat); 38g Protein; 555g Carbohydrate; 19g Dietary Fiber;
426mg Cholesterol; 354mg Sodium. Exchanges: 9 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 7 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin White Chunk Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

3 cups buttermilk baking mix
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup libby's® solid pack pumpkin
2 eggs -- lightly beaten
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 bars nestle® toll house® premier white baking bars --
coarsely chopped and divided
one 6-ounce package
2/3 cup chopped pecans -- divided

STIR together baking mix, sugar and cinnamon in large bowl. Stir in
pumpkin, eggs, water and vanilla extract just until moistened. Stir in
half of baking bars and half of pecans. Spread into greased 13 x 9-inch
baking pan.

BAKE in preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining
baking bars and remaining pecans. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or
until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in
pan on wire rack. Makes 16 servings.

Source:
"Best Ever Cookies, Nestle Toll House"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 207 Calories; 7g Fat (29.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 27mg
Cholesterol; 272mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1
1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raisin Brown Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 cups dark seedless raisins
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In large bowl, with spoon, stir all ingredients and 2 Tbsp. hot water
just until well combined; pour into loaf pan.

Bake 50 minutes or until bread pulls away from sides of pan.

Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; trace Fat (4.0%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1mg
Cholesterol; 290mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat Milk;
0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raisin-Nut Cake With Brown Sugar Glaze

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes & frostings

1 cup raisins
1/2 cup bourbon
1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
brown sugar glaze -- see recipe

Combine raisins and bourbon, stirring well. Cover and refrigerate at
least 1 hour. Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium
speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture
alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix
after each addition. Fold in pecans and reserved raisin mixture.

Pour batter into a greased and floured l0-inch tube pan. Bake at 325°F
for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan, and place on serving
plate. Drizzle Brown Sugar Glaze over cake. Cool completely.

Yield: one l0-inch cake.

Source:
"The Southern Living Cookbook, 1987, 8487-0709-5"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6049 Calories; 217g Fat (33.3%
calories from fat); 88g Protein; 891g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber;
1565mg Cholesterol; 3629mg Sodium. Exchanges: 20 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4
Lean Meat; 7 1/2 Fruit; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 39 Fat; 30 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Real Corn Bread

Recipe By :Mrs. J.N. Clark, Rylie Club
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup buttermilk
1 Egg
1/2 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white corn meal
1 tablespoon lard

Mix ingredients together commencing with buttermilk and adding egg,
soda, baking powder, salt, and cornmeal one after the other, mixing
constantly.

Place lard in skillet and heat, then pour in mixture and bake with oven
at 450 degrees.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 293 Calories; 20g Fat (61.0%
calories from fat); 14g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
233mg Cholesterol; 3434mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat
Milk; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Velvet Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup shortening
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour 9sifted 2 to 3 times)
1 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar

Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy.

Add eggs and beat 1 minutes.

Put cocoa and red coloring in cup and make paste.

Add to shortening mixture.

Add salt and vanilla to buttermilk, adding milk and flour alternately to
shortening mixture, mixing well after each addition.

Put vinegar and soda in cup and mix. Add to mixture.

Bake in two 9" pans at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

See frosting section for Frosting recipe.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2352 Calories; 116g Fat (43.3%
calories from fat); 23g Protein; 320g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
433mg Cholesterol; 2534mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 22 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Velvet Peppermint Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes & frostings

1 18.25-ounce package white cake mix
3 egg whites
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 9-ounce package yellow cake mix*
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
PEPPERMINT CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract*
GARNISHES
6 5 inch red and white peppermint candy canes -- crushed
12 5 inch green candy canes -- broken
12 round peppermint candies
HOLIDAY TREES
royal icing
6 4 inch sugar ice-cream cones
12 5 inch red and white candy canes -- coarsely crushed
12 5 inch green candy canes -- coarsely crushed
edible glitter or sparkling sugar -- optional

BEAT first 4 ingredients according to cake mix package directions.

BEAT yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package
directions. Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased
and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Swirl batter gently with a knife.

BAKE at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove
from pans; cool on wire racks.

SPREAD Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and
sides of cake. (Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to I
month.) Garnish, if desired. Serve within 2 hours.

Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake.

1 3/4 cups yellow cake mix may be substituted.

Prep: 15 min.. Bake: 22 to 25 min.

NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe White
Cake Mix, Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix, and McCormick Red Food Color.

If cake is frozen, thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed
candy from running. Do not refrigerate after garnishing.

For testing purposes only, we used candy canes from the American Candy
Company. Call 1-800-822-6398.

PEPPERMINT CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: BEAT cream cheese and butter at medium
speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating
at low speed until smooth. Add extract, beating until blended.

Yield: about 5 cups.

For Quick Peppermint Frosting, stir together 3 (1 6-ounce) containers
ready-to-spread cream cheese frosting and 2 teaspoons peppermint extract.

* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract may be substituted.

HOLIDAY TREES: SPOON icing into a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a 1/4-
inch hole in 1 corner of bag. Pipe 2 rows of points around 1 cone,
beginning at large end and working upward, to resemble a tree. Sprinkle
with candy and, if desired, glitter. Repeat procedure until cone is
decorated. Invert 2 cones; stack, securing with icing. Repeat decorating
procedure. Invert remaining 3 cones, and stack, securing with icing;
repeat decorating procedure. Insert larger candy pieces into trees, if
desired. Let stand 8 hours. Store in a cool, dry place up to 1 month.

Yield: 3 trees.

Source:
"Southern Living, Dec. 1998"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 581 Calories; 24g Fat (36.2%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 89g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
65mg Cholesterol; 488mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 6 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rolls

Recipe By :Hugh Ann
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 quart milk -- or buttermilk
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 packages yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix with rest of ingredients. Set aside
to double in size.

Mix together, adding more flour until not sticky.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3460 Calories; 239g Fat (60.9%
calories from fat); 44g Protein; 301g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;
133mg Cholesterol; 3599mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 4 Non-Fat Milk; 47 Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southern Egg Bread for Dressing

Recipe By :Mary McKinnon, Beech Island S.C.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups cornmeal -- self rising
1 cup boiling water -- * see note
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons shortening
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups buttermilk

Scald the cornmeal with boiling water. Cool.
Blend eggs, buttermilk, shortening and and baking powder. when cornmeal
is cool add milk mixture and throughly blend.

Pour in a well greased pan and bake 25 minutes in moderately hot oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1486 Calories; 28g Fat (17.4%
calories from fat); 56g Protein; 247g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber;
445mg Cholesterol; 3905mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I NEVER USE THE BOILING WATER, JUST THE BUTTERMILK, JUST KEEP
ADDING UNTIL IS IS LIKE YOU WANT.
If using buttermilk only, add buttermilk to cornmeal before adding other
ingredients.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southern Hush Puppies

Recipe By :Mrs. Warren D. Davis, Yulee, Florida
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups cornmeal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 Egg -- slightly beaten
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
Salad oil -- or shortening

Combine dry ingredients; add buttermilk, egg and onion, stirring well.

Carefully drop batter by tablespoonfuls into deep hot oil; cook only a
few at a time, turning once.

Fry until hush puppies are golden brown (3 to 5 minutes).

Drain well on absorbent towels.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1222 Calories; 12g Fat (8.8%
calories from fat); 39g Protein; 235g Carbohydrate; 21g Dietary Fiber;
221mg Cholesterol; 5087mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups unsifted all-purpose -- or cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Eggs
4 ounces Baker's German Brand sweet chocolate -- melted
Coconut-Pecan Frosting -- see recipe

Mix flour with sugar, soda, baking powder and salt.

Stir butter to soften. Add flour mixture, buttermilk, vanilla, eggs,
and chocolate. Blend. Then beat 3 minutes at medium speed of electric
mixer, scrapping bowl frequently.

Pour into 2 well-greased and floured 9" layer pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out
clean.

Cool cake in pans 15 minutes; then remove from pans. Finish cooling on
rack.

Spread frosting between layers and over top.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2506 Calories; 135g Fat (47.4%
calories from fat); 22g Protein; 314g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
764mg Cholesterol; 4217mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat
Milk; 25 1/2 Fat; 20 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Texas Jam Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup butter or margarine -- softened
1 cup sugar
5 Eggs
1 jar Bama Red Plum Jam -- (16 oz.)
1 cup Bama Strawberry Preserves
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup buttermilk
Chopped nuts -- optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at
a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in jam and preserves.

Stir together dry ingredients. All alternately with buttermilk to jam
mixture.

Turn into 3 well greased wax paper lined 9-inch layer cake pans. Bake
40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes, remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost with Maple
Frosting. Garnish with nuts if desired.

Makes 1 9-inch 3-layer cake.

See recipe for Maple Frosting.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2895 Calories; 212g Fat (64.4%
calories from fat); 42g Protein; 221g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
1565mg Cholesterol; 6265mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 39 Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tunnel of Fudge Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
2 large eggs -- beaten lightly
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa -- measured then sifted
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup warm -- brewed coffee
-----TUNNEL FILLING-----
1/4 cup sugar
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounce) softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
-----GLAZE-----
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 squares unsweetened chocolate -- melted and cooled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
hot water to thin if needed

Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease a 12 cup or ten inch Bundt or
tube
pan. Combine sugar, oil and eggs and beat for one minute until smooth.
Add
remaining cake ingredients and beat on medium two to three minutes (use a
whisk of doing by hand). Set cake batter aside.

Filling: Cream sugar with cream cheese, then add vanilla, egg, and
chocolate
chips and blend until smooth. Ladle half of batter into pan. Spoon
filling
evenly over this layer. Cover with remaining batter. Bake for 70 minutes
or
until cake tests done. Top should spring back when gently pressed.

Let cake cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan. If cake
sticks,
place on a warm burner to loosen. Cake firms up as it reaches room
temperature.

Glaze: combine all ingredients to form a pourable glaze, thinning with
water
if necessary. Pour over cooled cake. This cake freezes well and keeps
several days covered at room temperature.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5101 Calories; 395g Fat (65.9%
calories from fat); 66g Protein; 395g Carbohydrate; 34g Dietary Fiber;
961mg Cholesterol; 5265mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean
Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 75 Fat; 21 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : none

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tunnel of Fudge Cake 1

[...]

Vanilla-Fudge Marble Cake

Recipe By :Simply Perfect Chocolate, BH&G Pub., 1998
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Cakes & Tortes
Sent

2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk
2/3 cup chocolate-flavor syrup
SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE ICING:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Combine flour, baking
powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter or margarine in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low to
medium speed about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat till fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed 1 minute after
each addition, scraping bowl frequently. Add flour mixture and buttermilk
or sour milk alternately just till combined. Reserve 2 cups batter. Pour
remaining batter into prepared pan.

Combine chocolate syrup and reserved batter in a small bowl. Beat on low
speed till well combined. Pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter. Do
not mix.

Bake in a 350°F oven about 50 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted
near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
Remove from pan; cool completely on rack. Drizzle cake with Semisweet
Chocolate Icing.

Makes 12 servings

Semisweet Chocolate Icing: Heat 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces, 2
tablespoons butter or margarine, 1 tablespoon light corn syrup, and 1/4
teaspoon vanilla in a small pan over low heat, stirring till chocolate
melts and mixture is smooth. Use immediately.

For sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring
cup. Add enough whole milk to equal 1 1/4 cups.

Nutrition facts per serving: 412 calories, 17 g total fat (13 g saturated
fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary
fiber, 5 g protein. Daily Values: 18% vitamin A. 13% iron.

Ratings : Points 0-10 9 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 314 Calories; 14g Fat (41.1%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 72mg
Cholesterol; 353mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2
1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Warm Apple-Buttermilk Custard Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Pies

1/2 15-ounce package refrigerated piecrusts
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- divided
2 granny smith apples -- peeled and sliced
3/4 cup sugar -- divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon -- divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine -- softened
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold
edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork.

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add apple, 1/2
cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring
occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until apple is tender; set aside.

Beat 1/4 cup butter and 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar at medium speed with
an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until
yellow disappears. Add 2 tablespoons flour and vanilla, beating until
blended. Add buttermilk, beating until smooth.

Spoon apple mixture into piecrust; pour buttermilk mixture over apple
mixture.

Bake at 300F for 30 minutes. Stir together 3 tablespoons butter,
remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and
remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Bake 40
more minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let
stand 1 hour before serving.

Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie.

Source:
"Southern Living April 1999"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 483 Calories; 19g Fat (34.1%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 76g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 149mg
Cholesterol; 224mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whoopie Pies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
CHOCOLATE BUTTER FROSTING
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cup sifted powdered sugar -- divided
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

BEAT shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30
seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Beat
till combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in buttermilk or
sour milk, egg, and vanilla till combined. Stir together flour and cocoa
powder. Beat or stir flour mixture into buttermilk or sour milk mixture.

DROP by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie
sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for 8 to 10 minutes or till the edges are
firm. Transfer to wire racks and cool.

FOR FILLING, combine milk and the 1/4 cup flour in a small saucepan. Cook
and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove
from heat; cool.

BEAT butter or margarine in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on
medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar; beat till
fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat milk mixture, 1 large spoonful at a
time, into butter mixture. Beat on high for 1 minute or till filling is
smooth and fluffy. Frost the tops of half the cookies with Chocolate
Butter Frosting; set aside. Spread about 2 tablespoons filling on the
flat side of the remaining cookies. Top with frosted cookies, flat side
down.

Makes 14.

CHOCOLATE BUTTER FROSTING: Beat together 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
and 3 tablespoons butter or margarine. Gradually beat in 1 cup sifted
powdered sugar. Slowly beat in 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon
vanilla. Gradually beat in another 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Beat in
milk, if necessary, to make of spreading consistency.

Source:
"Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Cookies, 1999"
Copyright:
"Meridith Corporation"
Ratings : Not Rated 0 - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 443 Calories; 21g Fat (42.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 50mg
Cholesterol; 230mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These cookies probably got their name from the exclamation of a
child offered one of these treats. Try making them with your kids or
grandchildren, and we'll bet you get the same response.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Williamsburg Orange Cake

Recipe By :"Greenfield Village School Cookbook", Mary Sleeper,
Greenfield, New Hampshire
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes/Frostings

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
or sour milk*
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1/4 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 recipe Orange Butter Frosting

Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch baking pan or two 9x1 1/2-inch round
baking pans; set pan(s) aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda,
and salt. Add buttermilk or sour milk, butter, shortening, eggs, and
vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on
medium to high speed for 3 minutes more, scraping side of bowl
occasionally. Fold in orange peel, raisins, and chopped nuts. Pour batter
into the prepared pan(s).

Bake in a 350°F oven about 40 minutes for the 13x9-inch pan (or 25 to 30
minutes for round pans) or until toothpick inserted near center of cake
comes out clean. Cool the 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack. (Cool the
round cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layer cakes from
pans. Cool completely on wire racks.) Frost with Orange Butter Frosting.

Makes 12 to 15 servings.

Per serving: 592 calories, 24g total fat (11 g sat fat), 95 mg
cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 91 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, and 6 g
protein. Dietary exchanges: 6 other carbohydrate.

Test Kitchen Tip: To make 1 1/2 cups sour milk, place 4 1/2 teaspoons
lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make
1 1/2 cups total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before
using it.

Source:
"Hometown Cooking, October 2000"
Copyright:
"Better Homes & Gardens"
Ratings : Points 10-20 4 - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 326 Calories; 14g Fat (36.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 60mg
Cholesterol; 247mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Mary Sleeper (opposite) likes this cake because it looks fancy
but is easy to make. "People think you worked harder than you really
did," she says. She makes it either in a 13x9-inch pan or in layers for a
more elegant look.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Yankee Banana Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups unsifted whole wheat flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup snipped pitted dates

In large bowl, mix flour, corn meal, salt and baking soda.

Stir in bananas and remaining ingredients.

Turn into 3 greased and floured cans (1 Lb. each).

Bake in 350 degree oven 45 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in
center of breads comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes, turn out of cans and serve warm with butter.

Loaves may be frozen.

Thaw, wrap in foil and heat in 3350 degree oven 20 minutes.

NOTE: Dark and hearty, it's served spread with cream cheese or in a
traditional New England Sunday supper of frankfurter and baked beans
casserole.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

MC Formatted using MC Buster 2.0d & SNT on 4/10/98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 753 Calories; 2g Fat (2.8%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 181g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 9mg
Cholesterol; 3205mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 11 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
enigma

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the
>> > carrot cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good
>> > recipes using buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes
>> > for example?

<snip>
oh

my

i'm overwhelmed!
thank you so much. now i need MORE buttermilk.

um, i'm afraid to ask, but have any ideas for 8 egg whites?

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Mr Libido Incognito

enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
> :
>
> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> <snip>
> oh
>
> my
>
> i'm overwhelmed!
> thank you so much. now i need MORE buttermilk.
>
> um, i'm afraid to ask, but have any ideas for 8 egg whites?
>
> lee

I have well over 2 thousand egg white recipes (with no yolks) Do you
really want me to post them?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Mr Libido Incognito

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> > > rec.food.cooking

> > <snip>
> > oh
> >
> > my
> >
> > i'm overwhelmed!
> > thank you so much. now i need MORE buttermilk.
> >
> > um, i'm afraid to ask, but have any ideas for 8 egg whites?
> >
> > lee

> I have well over 2 thousand egg white recipes (with no yolks) Do you
> really want me to post them?

OOOPS it appeard I only have around 700 egg white recipe. Still. are you
sure you want me to post them?

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
> :
>
> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> <snip>
> oh
>
> my
>
> i'm overwhelmed!
> thank you so much. now i need MORE buttermilk.
>
> um, i'm afraid to ask, but have any ideas for 8 egg whites?
>
> lee

That's easy--make pavlova. Whip 4 egg whites to stiff peaks with a
pinch of cream of tartar and some sugar. Smear onto a baking sheet that
you've lined with parchment paper or brown paper bag (print side down).
Bake at 300°F (150°C) for 40 minutes. Let cool, then top with fresh
fruit and whipped cream. There, now you've used up some egg whites and
the heavy cream.

You can also use egg whites in place of whole eggs in baking bread or
muffins.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
enigma

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
>> > :

>> > <snip>
>> > oh
>> >
>> > my
>> >
>> > i'm overwhelmed!
>> > thank you so much. now i need MORE buttermilk.
>> >
>> > um, i'm afraid to ask, but have any ideas for 8 egg
>> > whites?
>> >
>> > lee

>> I have well over 2 thousand egg white recipes (with no
>> yolks) Do you really want me to post them?
>>

> OOOPS it appeard I only have around 700 egg white recipe.
> Still. are you sure you want me to post them?

*only* 700?
and Tom thinks my recipe collection is large... :-/

how about just 3-4 favorite ones?
i know i can freeze extra egg whites... do the yolks get wonky
if you freeze those? i've got 10 hens due to start laying any
day now (actually, i think some already are, but they free
range so i haven't found the secret nest spot)
lee <thanks in advance!>
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
S'mee [AKA Jani]

<snip>

No muffins, but you can dip onion and pepper slices in water,
then flour, then buttermilk, then cracker meal and deep fry;
very good, IMO... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

Mr Libido Incognito

enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
> :
>
> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> >> I have well over 2 thousand egg white recipes (with no
> >> yolks) Do you really want me to post them?
> >>

> > OOOPS it appeard I only have around 700 egg white recipe.
> > Still. are you sure you want me to post them?

> *only* 700?
> and Tom thinks my recipe collection is large... :-/
>
> how about just 3-4 favorite ones?
> i know i can freeze extra egg whites... do the yolks get wonky
> if you freeze those? i've got 10 hens due to start laying any
> day now (actually, i think some already are, but they free
> range so i haven't found the secret nest spot)
> lee <thanks in advance!>

These are my favourites from the "A's"
* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond-chocolate Chip Biscotti

Recipe By :Vicki S.
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookie

1/3 cup slivered almonds -- chopped
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips -- chopped

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a large baking sheet or coat with
non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a medium sauce pan, combine almonds and oil. Cook, stirring
constantly, over medium-high heat, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder.
4) In a large mixing bowl, combine almonds, sugar and corn syrup. Beat
with
an electric blender at medium speed until well blended. Add egg whites
and
vanilla and almond extracts, beat until well blended. Reduce mixer speed
low and blend in half the flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and
remaining
flour mixture; beat until just blended. (the dough will be crumbly)
5) Divide dough in half. Lightly oil your hands and work surface. Shape
each
portion into a smooth 2-by-10 inch log. Place on prepared baking sheet, 5
inches apart. Flatten tops slightly.
6) Bake logs 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and cracked on
top.
Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool until barely warm. Set
logs on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal into
3/8-inch thick slices. Lay slices flat on baking sheet.
7) Bake biscotti for 6 minutes, or until just beginning to brown on the
bottom. Turn over and bake for 6 to 9 minutes more. (the longer the
baking
time, the cruchier the biscotti) Transfer to wire racks and let cool
completely. (Biscotti will keep in an airtight container for up to 2
weeks.
Freeze for
longer storage)
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 213 Calories; 6g Fat (26.6%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 130mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1
Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Fat 2g per cookie.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Aloha Pineapple and Banana

Recipe By :My files
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

10 pineapple rings in juice -- drained
10 slices banana
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
10 maraschino cherries

Arrange pineapple slices on greased baking sheet. Place a banana slice
in the
center of each. Sprinkle with lemon juice and 1/2 of
the cinnamon-sugar. Make meringue with egg whites, cream of tartar and
sugar,
and spread over each pineapple slice. Sprinkle with r
emaining cinnamon-sugar. Bake 10 min. at 400F till golden. Garnish with
cherries. Serve warm or cold.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 597 Calories; 1g Fat (1.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 151g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 147mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Fruit; 5 1/2
Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Amaretti Cookies

Recipe By :COOKING RIGHT SHOW#CR9652
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookie

1 1/4 cups Blanched lightly toasted -- almonds
3/4 cup Powdered sugar
2 teaspoons Flour
2 large Egg whites
1/3 cup Granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon Almond extract

Grind almonds to a powder in a food processor by pulsing off and on to
keep
powder loose. Mix almonds with powdered sugar and flour. In a separate
bowl,
beat egg whites to soft peaks.

Gradually beat in sugar until stiff. Fold in zest and extract. Pipe
mixture
onto parchment-lined, lightly buttered baking sheets in 1 1/2 inch
rounds.
Bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 1 hour checking to make sure the
amaretti do not brown. Turn off oven and let amaretti dry out for an
additional hour. Cookies should be very crisp. Store in airtight
container.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 28 Calories; trace Fat (0.3%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Amaretto Hazelnut Macaroon Cheesecake

Recipe By Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Cheesecakes

-----Hazelnut crust-----
1 cup hazelnuts -- roast 10 min at 350
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
-----Filling-----
1/2 cup amaretto
3 teaspoons gelatin -- unflavored
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups cream

Hazelnut macaroon:
heat oven to 350. grease 10 inch springform pan. line with parchment
(DO NOT USE WAX PAPER AS IT STICKS HORRIBLY !). grease parchment. line
a cookie sheet with greased parchment

whisk together eggs and vanilla. remove as much skin from the hazelnuts
as is convenient. chop the nuts in a food processor with one cup of the
powdered sugar for 30 sec. add both powdered and regular sugar. pulse a
few times to combine. with processer running, pour in egg mixture.
process for 15 sec until smooth

reserve 1/2 - 1/3 cup batter. pour remaining into springform, smooth
with spatula. pour reserved batter onto cookie sheet, spread in a 7-8
inch disk

bake crust 25-30 min., disk 20-25 min. cool on wire rack

chop op the disk into 1/8 inch pieces and soak in 1/4 amaretto (DO NOT
SOAK FOR MORE THAN 15 MIN OR THEY GET SOGGY !)

carefully remove crust (VERY CAREFULLY). replace bottom of springform
with foil wrapped cardboard circle. replace crust

amaretto cheesecake filling:
sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cp amaretto, let stand 5 min. heat in sauce
pan with hot (not boiling) water stirring for 4 min.. leave in hot water
to stay warm

beat cream cheese in mixer for 1 min. add lemon juice and zest, mix.
beat cream to soft peaks. fold 1/3 cream into cream cheese. fold in
remaining whipped cream. fold in soaked macaroon disk bits

scrape into prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap. refridgerate at least
3 hrs. (preferably overnight)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 6775 Calories; 445g Fat (59.4%
calories from fat); 92g Protein; 592g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber;
1165mg Cholesterol; 2637mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 11
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 84 Fat; 33 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ammonia Cookies 1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookie

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
4 egg yokes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ammonia powder (bought at the drugstore)
1/2 cup milk or sour cream
4 egg whites -- well beaten

Cream the butter until light. Gradually add the sugar, salt and egg
yokes, while stirring until the mixture becomes foamy. Then sift the
flour and gradually fold into the foamy mixture, alternating with the
sour milk or cream. Add the ammonia. Blend together and fold in the
stiffly beaten egg whites. Should the dough be too soft to roll, add a
little sifted flour. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Roll the dough very thin. Cut and bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 to 8
minutes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2467 Calories; 184g Fat (65.6%
calories from fat); 16g Protein; 201g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
497mg Cholesterol; 2228mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 36 1/2 Fat; 13
1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Angel Food Cake Deluxe

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375º. Mix flour and powdered sugar. Beat egg whites and
cream of tartar in large bowl on medium speed until foamy. Beat in
granulated sugar on high speed, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding vanilla,
almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar; continue beating
until meringue holds stiff peaks. Do not underbeat.

Sprinkle flour-sugar mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding
in gently just until mixture disappears. Spread in ungreased tube pan, 10
× 4 inches. Gently cut through batter with spatula.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when
touched lightly. Immediately invert pan onto heatproof funnel; let hang
until cake is completely cool.

++++++++++++++++++++

Please note, if you should change this recipe it will no longer be an
approved Betty Crocker® Recipe.

Copyright:
"© General Mills, Inc. 1998."
Yield:
"1 Cake"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 130 Calories; trace Fat (0.5%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Angel food cake is thought to have originated in St. Louis,
Missouri, in the mid-nineteenth century. Some people believe that the
recipe was brought by slaves from the South up the Mississippi River to
St. Louis. Others believe that angel food cake can be traced to the
Pennsylvania Dutch.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 3231 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ann's Strawberry Angel-Food Cake W/Sauces-Pt1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

diane crhn32b
-----cake-----
1 c sifted unbleached white
-flour
1 c finely ground date sugar or
- superfine sugar
egg whites
1 1/4 ts cream of tartar
1 1/2 ts vanilla extract
1/2 c strawberries -- thinly sliced
fresh or frozen
-----sauces-----
1 c strawberries -- sliced fresh
or frozen
1 c honey
2 tb arrowroot powder or
-cornstarch
2 c kiwifruit -- peeled & sliced

x Chunks of fresh kiwi as -garnish; optional CAKE: Preheat oven to
350F.
Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar into a large bowl. Set aside.
IN another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar;
continue
beating until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp at a
time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour-sugar mixture, 1/2
cup
at a time. Fold in vanilla and strawberries. Pour batter into an
ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly and deflating any large air
pockets with a knife. Bake 40 minutes, or until cake is lightly browned
and
springy. Invert pan and let cake cool 40 minutes. Remove cake from pan
and set on a serving plate. .....Continued in Part
2........................

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation Time: 0:0

NYC Nutrilink: M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: M0^00000,M0^00000,M0^00000

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 94 Calories; trace Fat (0.5%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Raisin Crepes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3/4 c Quaker Oat Bran hot cereal
-uncooked
1 t Baking powder
1 c Skim milk
3 Egg whites -- slightly beaten
1 T Margarine
1 c Ricotta cheese, part skim
1 sm Apple -- finely chopped
2/3 c Raisins
1 T Sugar, confectioners
1/2 ts Vanilla
2/3 c Lite pancake syrup
1/4 ts Cinnamon

Combine oat bran and baking powder; add to combined milk, egg whites
and margarine, mixing well. Heat a 6 to 7 inch crepe pan or skillet
over medium heat; lightly coat with non-stick spray or lightly oil
before making each crepe. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot prepared
pan; immediately tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook 1 to 1 1/2
minutes or until top looks dry. Turn; cook an additional minute.
Stack between sheets of wax paper.

Combine ricotta, apple, raisins, sugar and vanilla; mix well. Spoon
about 2 tblsp. along less evenly browned side of each crepe. Fold or
roll up sides to cover filling. Combine syrup and cinnamon; heat over
medium heat about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until heated
through. Just before serving, pour 2 tblsp. over each crepe. Makes 5
servings--10 crepes. (about 300 calories per 2 crepes)

Recipe from Quaker Oat Bran Cookbook

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 266 Calories; 18g Fat (60.3%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1mg
Cholesterol; 371mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1
1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
~patches~

enigma wrote:

> i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
> cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
> buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
> muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
> are rather dry)

Buttermilk is a good marinade for chicken breasts.

> i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
> freeze it if i don't use it soon?

Stick it in a blender and make butter. Pour off the buttermilk and
reserve for other recipes while enjoying the fresh butter. It's the
best butter imo.
> lee

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 10:52:38a, enigma wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
> :
>
>> Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> enigma wrote on 09 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

>>> I have well over 2 thousand egg white recipes (with no
>>> yolks) Do you really want me to post them?
>>>

>> OOOPS it appeard I only have around 700 egg white recipe.
>> Still. are you sure you want me to post them?

> *only* 700?
> and Tom thinks my recipe collection is large... :-/
>
> how about just 3-4 favorite ones?
> i know i can freeze extra egg whites... do the yolks get wonky
> if you freeze those? i've got 10 hens due to start laying any
> day now (actually, i think some already are, but they free
> range so i haven't found the secret nest spot)
> lee <thanks in advance!>

Egg yolks freeze just fine. For savory dishes, blend in a small amount of
salt with the yolks (you must break the yolk and stir it). For sweet
dishes, blend in a small amount of sugar.

If you're storing yolks for only a day or two, simply put them in a glass
or plastic container and gently cover them with cool water. Refrigerate
covered untiil used.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
mhyk

hi, i got a good recipe for your buttermilk try this one
http://www.tpub.com/content/food/recipes/Buttermilk_Pancakes___(Dry_Buttermilk).htm
check out that link

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 09:45:35p, mhyk wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> hi, i got a good recipe for your buttermilk try this one
> http://www.tpub.com/content/food/recipes/Buttermilk_Pancakes___(Dry_Butte
> rmilk).htm check out that link

Why don't you quit posting links to your site and post some recipes here in
the newsgroup? That's what it's for.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-1, 08/09/2005
Tested on: 8/9/2005 9:54:05 PM

jake

enigma wrote:
> i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
> cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
> buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
> muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
> are rather dry)
> i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
> freeze it if i don't use it soon?
> lee

Irish soda bread? Buittermilk pudding?
enigma

"L, not -L" > wrote in
:

> I often freeze buttermilk; it separates when defrosted but
> works fine in recipes. Surely one or two of the following
> will help you use up what you have, though I left out most
> yeast bread recipes. If you have a bread maker, let me
> know and I can send lots of bread recipes that use
> buttermilk.

yes, i have a Zojirushi 2# breadmaker. my just turned 5YO
loves making bread (& buscuits. he makes really good
buscuits!). my mom gave me a breadmaker cookbook, but it's all
one pound loaf recipes so i rarely look at it.
thanks for the buttermilk recipes. i see you also have a lot
of buttermilk pies... i had never heard of those before. guess
i'll pick one to try
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
No One

Don't need recipies. I use buttermilk in place of anything made with milk a
lot. I make my own buttermilk from powdered milk and I can keep it going
and feeding it for months before goes off and I start a new batch.

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> i have 3 cups of buttermilk left over from making the carrot
> cake. other than pancakes/waffles, what are good recipes using
> buttermilk? any really good muffin recipes for example? (my
> muffin recipes are from 1943 & they're really lacking volume &
> are rather dry)
> i also have a couple extra cups of heavy cream... can i
> freeze it if i don't use it soon?
> lee
> --
> war is peace
> freedom is slavery
> ignorance is strength
> 1984-George Orwell

Invitation to new Food, Recipes, Information, historic recipes,Vintage Recipes, etc. [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 09-12-2008 04:04 PM
Buttermilk Pie Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 17-02-2008 06:19 PM
Buttermilk Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 25-09-2006 06:20 PM
Buttermilk? hutchndi Sourdough 54 13-07-2006 10:05 AM
Homemade Buttermilk and Buttermilk Pancakes A1 WBarfieldsr Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 12:48 PM