MARY1313

Default Homemade Breakfast bar?

I'd like to make my own breakfast bar. Something like a rice crispy treat, but
without the sugary marshmallow stuff. I want one I can make and cut into bars.
Bake or no-bake. Any kind of cereal. Kelloggs makes a commercial one, but
its too sweet and small. Anyone have their own recipe? Thanks. --Mary
Dimitri

"MARY1313" > wrote in message
> I'd like to make my own breakfast bar. Something like a rice crispy

treat, but
> without the sugary marshmallow stuff. I want one I can make and cut into

bars.
> Bake or no-bake. Any kind of cereal. Kelloggs makes a commercial one,

but
> its too sweet and small. Anyone have their own recipe? Thanks. --Mary

Here you go:

This is a good starting points.

Dimitri

HONEY NO BAKE BREAKFAST BAR
1 1/2 c. chunky peanut butter
1 c. honey
3/4 c. brown sugar
5 c. bran or oat flake dry cereal
1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) dried fruit
pieces

Combine peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar in large saucepan. Bring to
a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in cereal and
fruit bits. Mix well. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture
evenly into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Cool 15 minutes before cutting. Makes 18 bars.

CHOCOLATE BREAKFAST BAR
2 tbsp. hot black coffee
1 tbsp. chunky peanut butter
1 pkg. Alba chocolate shake
3/4 oz. uncooked oatmeal
2 tbsp. raisins

Using a fork, in small mixing bowl combine coffee (or water) and peanut
butter, mixing until peanut butter is softened; add remaining ingredients
and mix thoroughly (mixture will be stiff and sticky). Transfer mixture to
sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and using hands, press mixture together
and shape into a log about 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. Tightly
wrap log in the wax paper or plastic wrap and freeze overnight. Remove from
freezer about 1 hour before serving and store in refrigerator.

BREAKFAST FOOD BAR

1 c. sugar
1 c. cream
1 c. white Karo syrup
5 c. cornflakes
2 c. Rice Chex
1 c. blanched peanuts

Cook sugar, cream and syrup to "soft ball" stage. Pour over cereal and
peanuts. Mix and press into cake pan. Cool before cutting.

PEANUT BUTTER BREAKFAST BAR

1 c. dry oatmeal
2/3 c. dry milk
1/4 c. chunky peanut butter
2 bananas (ripe)
4 tsp. honey
1 tsp. each baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla

Mash bananas and combine all ingredients; mix well. Put in Pam sprayed 8"
pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. 4 servings.

Scott

With the exception of the last one (the peanut butter breakfast bar),
aren't they rather sweet with all that sugar/corn syrup/honey?

I make "energy bars" for taking along on bike trips. Basically they're
various seeds and nuts (e.g., toasted almonds, sunflower seeds, whatever
else I have around) sometimes mixed with toasted quick cooking oatmeal
(not instant), held together by dates and raisins (first made into a
thick paste by putting them through the food processor). Everything gets
mixed together and pressed into bars.

please mail OT responses only
Dimitri

"Scott" > wrote in message
> With the exception of the last one (the peanut butter breakfast bar),
> aren't they rather sweet with all that sugar/corn syrup/honey?
>
> I make "energy bars" for taking along on bike trips. Basically they're
> various seeds and nuts (e.g., toasted almonds, sunflower seeds, whatever
> else I have around) sometimes mixed with toasted quick cooking oatmeal
> (not instant), held together by dates and raisins (first made into a
> thick paste by putting them through the food processor). Everything gets
> mixed together and pressed into bars.
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

Cool...

Dimitri

No One

Okay, I don't eat such. I don't make such BUT, I got a suggestion that
someone who does want a breakfast bar might want to check out and make some
modifications to make it more bar-like.

Passover food - Haroset - Delicious! There are numerous recipies for it on
the Internet. I've made it and used it as a topping for Biscotti! It
contains most of what everyone is suggesting just needs a binder to make it
more stable.

D.