ScratchMonkey

Default Cheese croissant

I baked a tin of Pillsbury croissants the other day and decided I wanted to
spruce them up a bit. So I grabbed my tub of grated cheese from the freezer
and sprinkled that over the triangles of pastry before rolling them up and
baking them. (I freeze my grated cheese to make it last longer.) Because
the cheese was frozen, it didn't start to melt until the croissants were
already baked, so it didn't leak out all over the baking pan. Worked pretty
well.
jmcquown

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> I baked a tin of Pillsbury croissants the other day and decided I
> wanted to spruce them up a bit. So I grabbed my tub of grated cheese
> from the freezer and sprinkled that over the triangles of pastry
> before rolling them up and baking them. (I freeze my grated cheese to
> make it last longer.) Because the cheese was frozen, it didn't start
> to melt until the croissants were already baked, so it didn't leak
> out all over the baking pan. Worked pretty well.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are crescent rolls, not really
croissants. Still, I've done the cheese trick myself and it does work well
and adds something to them. You might also try a light sprinkling of
herbs - say Penzey's Bonnes Herbs - or even a sprinkle of garlic powder.

Jill

ScratchMonkey

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are crescent rolls, not
> really croissants.

No, go ahead, put a fine point on it! What's the difference?

> You might also try a light sprinkling of herbs - say Penzey's Bonnes
> Herbs - or even a sprinkle of garlic powder.

I was considering the latter for next time. I didn't want to go too "wild"
on the first try.

jmcquown

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are crescent rolls, not
>> really croissants.

> No, go ahead, put a fine point on it! What's the difference?

Size! Heheh. Also, croissants are labor intensive and easy to flub up if
you don't handle the flaky dough with cold butter exactly right. One reason
I'd rather just let the Pillsbury dough boy make crescent rolls

>> You might also try a light sprinkling of herbs - say Penzey's Bonnes
>> Herbs - or even a sprinkle of garlic powder.

> I was considering the latter for next time. I didn't want to go too
> "wild" on the first try.

Works great - and hey, those rolls of dough are cheap. I don't know what
your "grated cheese" was but I've experimented with different cheeses. A
really interesting one is crumbled feta, which I keep frozen in a small tub.

Jill

Reg

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are crescent rolls, not
>>really croissants.

> No, go ahead, put a fine point on it! What's the difference?

There's quite a big difference. Real croissants are a combination
yeasted/laminated dough. Laminated dough is what puff pastry is...
many layers of butter and flour created by turning and rolling.

Puff pastry is laminated dough, but with no yeast. Croissant dough
is the same as puff pastry (i.e. laminated) but it also contains
sugar and yeast. There's nothing in the world like it.

sf

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:54:39 -0500, ScratchMonkey
> wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are crescent rolls, not
> > really croissants.

> No, go ahead, put a fine point on it! What's the difference?

For starters, crescent is easier to spell and not so snobby
sounding.

;-)

ScratchMonkey

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I don't know what
> your "grated cheese" was but I've experimented with different cheeses.
> A really interesting one is crumbled feta, which I keep frozen in a
> small tub

I went for extra sharp cheddar, which I normally have for sprinkling on mac
and cheese or tacos. I might true some blue, next time.

Same here with the feta, I've got some from Costco in the freezer. I'll try
that alongside the blue in another crescent.
ScratchMonkey

sf > wrote in newss18b0pakfgsl4hfid1pof53askj2p6t77@
4ax.com:

> For starters, crescent is easier to spell and not so snobby
> sounding.

LOL

And it has the same name as my wrench!
sf

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:31:00 -0500, ScratchMonkey
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in newss18b0pakfgsl4hfid1pof53askj2p6t77@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > For starters, crescent is easier to spell and not so snobby
> > sounding.

> LOL
>
> And it has the same name as my wrench!

There ya go, it's egalitarian too!

The Croissant Experiment Terry Pulliam Burd[_5_] General Cooking 24 27-04-2011 03:27 AM
german croissant [email protected] General Cooking 5 14-03-2006 05:20 PM
Turkey Cranberry Croissant Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2005 03:46 AM
croissant al Baking 1 20-02-2004 09:28 PM
Croissant-- history of ASmith1946 Historic 14 19-02-2004 03:06 AM