Damsel

Default Best Cheese for Spinach Omelette?

As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet which
requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since the
neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really can't
afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought for lunches.
I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that I'd planned on.

So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
is there another (affordable) that I should try?

Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it
Debbie

Damsel wrote:
>> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet
>> which requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since
>> the neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I
>> really can't afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already
>> bought for lunches. I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar
>> omelettes that I'd planned on.
>>
>> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of
>> cheese would you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po'
>> folk who can't afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my
>> possession are sharp cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss.
>> Would one of those be good, or is there another (affordable) that I
>> should try?

If you use the mozzarella you could add some diced tomatoes.. and some
oregano or other Italian seasoning.

Debbie

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet which
> requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since the
> neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really can't
> afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought for lunches.
> I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that I'd planned on.
>
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

Its a purely matter of taste. Any of the cheese you have on hand would
probably work well in an omelette. Just use one of the cheeses that
melts easily.
Damsel

"Debbie" > said:

> If you use the mozzarella you could add some diced tomatoes.. and some
> oregano or other Italian seasoning.

That sounds very good. I have an overripe tomato in the fridge. I'll have
to see it it's beyond using. Sounds *very* good!

Carol
Bob

Damsel wrote:

> if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> is there another (affordable) that I should try?

Either Swiss or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella would be good in a
spinach omelette. But my preference would be for a cheese sauce poured over
a plain-spinach omelette. Just make a white sauce, add grated cheese and let
it sit for about 30 seconds, then whisk it into the sauce. Would the flour
or the oil/butter in the white sauce make it taboo for your diet?

Bob

Pandora

"Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet which
> requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since the
> neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really can't
> afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought for lunches.
> I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that I'd planned on.
>
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese
> would
> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese). Here
in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni, ravioli,
salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't salted.
Pandora

Bob

Pandora wrote:

> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese). Here
> in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni,
> ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't
> salted.

I second that recommendation! Yes, Pandora, ricotta is readily available in
the USA. It also goes very well with spinach. Throw in a tablespoon of
toasted walnuts (or pine nuts) if you've got them, too.

Bob

jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese
> would you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk
> who can't afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession
> are sharp cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of
> those be good, or is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

Swiss, absolutely! If you have it in slices, just lay it over the lightly
sauteed or lightly steamed spinach in the omelet and then fold and let it
finish cooking. Delicious!

Jill

morgul the friendly drelb

Feta's cheap (a little goes a long way), and goes well with spinach.

Pandora

"Bob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese).
>> Here
>> in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni,
>> ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't
>> salted.

> I second that recommendation! Yes, Pandora, ricotta is readily available
> in
> the USA. It also goes very well with spinach. Throw in a tablespoon of
> toasted walnuts (or pine nuts) if you've got them, too.

Ohh! I'm happy to ear that you have ricotta. With ricotta and spinaci we
generally use nutmeg. We like it very much.
cheers
Pandora

> Bob

jake

Damsel wrote:

> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet which
> requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since the
> neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really can't
> afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought for lunches.
> I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that I'd planned on.
>
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

gruyere or leerdam or emmental if you want something sweet
any blue cheese if you want something strong

my guess is a combination of sweet and strong would taste great

or just simple Gouda or cheddar
jmcquown

Pandora wrote:
> "Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese
>> would
>> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who
>> can't afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are
>> sharp cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those
>> be good, or is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>>
>> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese).
> Here in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes,
> cannelloni, ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of
> fat and isn't salted. Pandora

Yes, it's very good and yes, ricotta is readily available in the U.S. But
Carol listed the cheeses she has; ricotta isn't one of them. Were I to
suggest a cheese she doesn't have, I'd also suggest feta and some herbs such
as oregano or basil. Brie is also very nice with spinach

Jill

Damsel

"Bob" > said:

> Damsel wrote:
>
> > if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
> > you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> > afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> > cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> > is there another (affordable) that I should try?

> Either Swiss or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella would be good in a
> spinach omelette. But my preference would be for a cheese sauce poured over
> a plain-spinach omelette. Just make a white sauce, add grated cheese and let
> it sit for about 30 seconds, then whisk it into the sauce. Would the flour
> or the oil/butter in the white sauce make it taboo for your diet?

Yeppers! At least for the first two weeks. Then, maybe I could make some
of Pastorio's ******* Sauce for the topping! (He's gonna be sorry he ever
posted that recipe - <EG>)

Carol, using South Beach
Damsel

"Pandora" > said:

> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese). Here
> in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni, ravioli,
> salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't salted.

I never would have thought of that, but ricotta is highly recommended for
my food plan, and would go marvelously with spinach! I'll go shopping
later today.

This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage cheese instead of
ricotta in my lasagne.

Thanks,
Carol
Damsel

"Bob" > said:

> Pandora wrote:
>
> > You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese). Here
> > in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni,
> > ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't
> > salted.

> I second that recommendation! Yes, Pandora, ricotta is readily available in
> the USA. It also goes very well with spinach. Throw in a tablespoon of
> toasted walnuts (or pine nuts) if you've got them, too.

I have pecans and almonds. Which would work better? I like the idea of
nuts in an omelette. Never would have thought of it!

Carol, sniffling away (the mold count in our community is extremely high)

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Swiss, absolutely! If you have it in slices, just lay it over the lightly
> sauteed or lightly steamed spinach in the omelet and then fold and let it
> finish cooking. Delicious!

I'll have that this morning, and ricotta tomorrow. I don't think I'll cook
the spinach, though. I like my spinach fresh, fresh, fresh.

Carol
Damsel

"morgul the friendly drelb" > said:

> Feta's cheap (a little goes a long way), and goes well with spinach.

Ooooooooooooooooh! My shopping list grows!

Thanks,
Carol
Damsel

"Pandora" > said:

> Ohh! I'm happy to ear that you have ricotta. With ricotta and spinaci we
> generally use nutmeg. We like it very much.

I have nutmeg, too. You guys are all helping so much!!

Carol
Damsel

jake > said:

> gruyere or leerdam or emmental if you want something sweet
> any blue cheese if you want something strong

I love those cheeses (except for blue), but they're not within my budget,
at least not this month.

> my guess is a combination of sweet and strong would taste great
>
> or just simple Gouda or cheddar

I've got cheddar.

Thanks,
Carol
Pandora

"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> "Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese
>>> would
>>> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who
>>> can't afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are
>>> sharp cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those
>>> be good, or is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>>>
>>> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

>> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese).
>> Here in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes,
>> cannelloni, ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of
>> fat and isn't salted. Pandora

> Yes, it's very good and yes, ricotta is readily available in the U.S. But
> Carol listed the cheeses she has; ricotta isn't one of them. Were I to
> suggest a cheese she doesn't have, I'd also suggest feta and some herbs
> such
> as oregano or basil. Brie is also very nice with spinach

Ohhh! I didn't understand! I understood that she was on a diet and when you
are on a diet, the best cheese is ricotta.
Feta is too hard to put inside an omelette IMHO. Brie is wonderful, I like
it very much, but is full of fat (
Cheers
Pandora

> Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

> Yes, it's very good and yes, ricotta is readily available in the U.S. But
> Carol listed the cheeses she has; ricotta isn't one of them. Were I to
> suggest a cheese she doesn't have, I'd also suggest feta and some herbs such
> as oregano or basil. Brie is also very nice with spinach

I can afford to buy some of the less expensive cheeses. I plan on getting
both ricotta and feta tomorrow.

Carol
Pandora

"Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Pandora" > said:
>
>> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese).
>> Here
>> in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni,
>> ravioli,
>> salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't salted.

> I never would have thought of that, but ricotta is highly recommended for
> my food plan, and would go marvelously with spinach! I'll go shopping
> later today.
>
> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage cheese instead of
> ricotta in my lasagne.

It is not the same. ricotta is soft but hard. Cottage cheese is too soft I
think.
Cheers
Pandora

> Thanks,
> Carol

Pandora

"Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Pandora" > said:
>
>> Ohh! I'm happy to ear that you have ricotta. With ricotta and spinaci we
>> generally use nutmeg. We like it very much.

> I have nutmeg, too. You guys are all helping so much!!

We would like to taste also...))
Pandora

Andy

Damsel > wrote in
:

> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet
> which requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since
> the neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really
> can't afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought
> for lunches. I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that
> I'd planned on.
>
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese
> would you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who
> can't afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are
> sharp cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be
> good, or is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

Carol,

Back when I was "King of Crepes and the Known World", we only used
monterey jack cheese. I'd sprinkle about a tablespoon of parmesan
regiano on top to finish.

Andy
It's Good to be King
Damsel

Andy <Q> said:

> Back when I was "King of Crepes and the Known World", we only used
> monterey jack cheese. I'd sprinkle about a tablespoon of parmesan
> regiano on top to finish.

That's an affordable cheese, too. Looks like I have a zillion and a half
options! I'll be eating well!

Carol

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:

>> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage
>> cheese instead of ricotta in my lasagne.

> It is not the same. ricotta is soft but hard. Cottage
> cheese is too soft I think.

We just use bechamel and mounds of parmigiano reggiano, and of
course ragout.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Debbie

Damsel wrote:
>> "Pandora" > said:
>>
>>> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of
>>> cheese). Here in Italy we generally use this cheese to full:
>>> crepes, cannelloni, ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta
>>> is poor of fat and isn't salted.

>> I never would have thought of that, but ricotta is highly
>> recommended for my food plan, and would go marvelously with spinach!
>> I'll go shopping later today.
>>
>> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage cheese instead of
>> ricotta in my lasagne.

Don't know if you can have this on your diet.. maybe a tiny bite, but it is
wonderful and if you like ricotta you can file it away for later.

Walnut and Ricotta Cake
Torta di Noci e Ricotta

Source Best of Italy
10 servings

115 g/4oz/1 cup walnut pieces
150g/5 oz/ 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
150g/5oz/3/4 cup caster sugar
5 eggs, separated
finely grated rind of 1 orange
150f/5oz/ 2/3 cup Ricotta cheese
40g/1.5 oz/ 6 Tbsp plain flour

To finish
60 ml/4Tbsp apricot jam
30 ml/2 Tbsp brandy
50g/2 oz bitter or plain chocolate, coarsely grated

Preheat or heat.. which ever verb you prefer, your oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Grease and line the base of a deep 23cm/9 in. round, loose-based cake tin.
Roughly chop and lightly toast the walnuts.

Cream together the butter and 115g/3.5 oz/1/2 cup of the sugar until the
mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, grated orange rind, Ricotta
cheese, flour and walnuts and mix together.

Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Gradually whisk in the
remaining sugar. Using a metal spoon, fold a quarter of the whites into the
Ricotta mixture. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites.

Turn the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for about 30
minutes until risen and firm. Leave to cook in the tin.

Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Heat the apricot jam in a small
saucepan with 15ml/1Tbsp water. Press through a strainer and stir in the
brandy. Use to coat the top and sides of the cake. Scatter the cake
generously with grated chocolate.

Try not to eat it all in one sitting. :-)

Debbie

Bob

Carol wrote:

>>> You can use "Ricotta" (I don't know if you find this kind of cheese).
>>> Here in Italy we generally use this cheese to full: crepes, cannelloni,
>>> ravioli, salted cakes or sweet cakes. Ricotta is poor of fat and isn't
>>> salted.

>> I second that recommendation! Yes, Pandora, ricotta is readily available
>> in the USA. It also goes very well with spinach. Throw in a tablespoon
>> of toasted walnuts (or pine nuts) if you've got them, too.

> I have pecans and almonds. Which would work better? I like the idea of
> nuts in an omelette. Never would have thought of it!

Well, walnuts would work with spinach and ricotta by themselves, but for my
tastes, the other nuts need some kind of help. Thinking about it....okay,
these are my opinions, which I think would work, but which shouldn't be
taken as gospel:

Pecans would work with spinach and ricotta if you add something like ham or
bacon; i.e., something with a meaty texture and a smoky flavor. Smoked
turkey would be okay, I think.

Almonds would work if you add a touch of lemon juice and lemon zest. Maybe
some steamed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, and/or bean sprouts put in the
middle just before you fold the omelette. Soy sauce would be a pretty good
accompaniment to that combination, too.

Bob

Debbie

Damsel wrote:
>> Andy <Q> said:
>>
>>> Back when I was "King of Crepes and the Known World", we only used
>>> monterey jack cheese. I'd sprinkle about a tablespoon of parmesan
>>> regiano on top to finish.

>> That's an affordable cheese, too. Looks like I have a zillion and a
>> half options! I'll be eating well!

Serve it with some salsa on the side. Italian today..mexican tomorrow,
Greece the next, followed by Swiss. Where will you travel next??? :-)

Debbie

Pandora

"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:
>
>>> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage
>>> cheese instead of ricotta in my lasagne.

>> It is not the same. ricotta is soft but hard. Cottage
>> cheese is too soft I think.

> We just use bechamel and mounds of parmigiano reggiano, and of course
> ragout.

Yes. of coarse
Pandora

Pandora

"Debbie" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Damsel wrote:

>>> I never would have thought of that, but ricotta is highly
>>> recommended for my food plan, and would go marvelously with spinach!
>>> I'll go shopping later today.
>>>
>>> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage cheese instead of
>>> ricotta in my lasagne.
>>>

> Don't know if you can have this on your diet.. maybe a tiny bite, but it
> is
> wonderful and if you like ricotta you can file it away for later.
>
> Walnut and Ricotta Cake
> Torta di Noci e Ricotta
>
> Source Best of Italy
> 10 servings
>
> 115 g/4oz/1 cup walnut pieces
> 150g/5 oz/ 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
> 150g/5oz/3/4 cup caster sugar
> 5 eggs, separated
> finely grated rind of 1 orange
> 150f/5oz/ 2/3 cup Ricotta cheese
> 40g/1.5 oz/ 6 Tbsp plain flour
>
> To finish
> 60 ml/4Tbsp apricot jam
> 30 ml/2 Tbsp brandy
> 50g/2 oz bitter or plain chocolate, coarsely grated
>
> Preheat or heat.. which ever verb you prefer, your oven to 190C/375F/Gas
> 5.
> Grease and line the base of a deep 23cm/9 in. round, loose-based cake tin.
> Roughly chop and lightly toast the walnuts.
>
> Cream together the butter and 115g/3.5 oz/1/2 cup of the sugar until the
> mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, grated orange rind,
> Ricotta
> cheese, flour and walnuts and mix together.
>
> Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Gradually whisk in the
> remaining sugar. Using a metal spoon, fold a quarter of the whites into
> the
> Ricotta mixture. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites.
>
> Turn the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for about 30
> minutes until risen and firm. Leave to cook in the tin.
>
> Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Heat the apricot jam in a small
> saucepan with 15ml/1Tbsp water. Press through a strainer and stir in the
> brandy. Use to coat the top and sides of the cake. Scatter the cake
> generously with grated chocolate.
>
> Try not to eat it all in one sitting. :-)
>
> Debbie

Good recipe, Debbie. I will try, thank you.
Pandora

Damsel

Debbie, this looks fantastic! The sugar and jam are problems, though.

Thanks for thinking of me,
Carol

"Debbie" > said:

> Damsel wrote:

> >> I never would have thought of that, but ricotta is highly
> >> recommended for my food plan, and would go marvelously with spinach!
> >> I'll go shopping later today.
> >>
> >> This might drive you nuts, but I always use cottage cheese instead of
> >> ricotta in my lasagne.
> >>

> Don't know if you can have this on your diet.. maybe a tiny bite, but it is
> wonderful and if you like ricotta you can file it away for later.
>
> Walnut and Ricotta Cake
> Torta di Noci e Ricotta
>
> Source Best of Italy
> 10 servings
>
> 115 g/4oz/1 cup walnut pieces
> 150g/5 oz/ 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
> 150g/5oz/3/4 cup caster sugar
> 5 eggs, separated
> finely grated rind of 1 orange
> 150f/5oz/ 2/3 cup Ricotta cheese
> 40g/1.5 oz/ 6 Tbsp plain flour
>
> To finish
> 60 ml/4Tbsp apricot jam
> 30 ml/2 Tbsp brandy
> 50g/2 oz bitter or plain chocolate, coarsely grated
>
> Preheat or heat.. which ever verb you prefer, your oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
> Grease and line the base of a deep 23cm/9 in. round, loose-based cake tin.
> Roughly chop and lightly toast the walnuts.
>
> Cream together the butter and 115g/3.5 oz/1/2 cup of the sugar until the
> mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, grated orange rind, Ricotta
> cheese, flour and walnuts and mix together.
>
> Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Gradually whisk in the
> remaining sugar. Using a metal spoon, fold a quarter of the whites into the
> Ricotta mixture. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites.
>
> Turn the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for about 30
> minutes until risen and firm. Leave to cook in the tin.
>
> Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Heat the apricot jam in a small
> saucepan with 15ml/1Tbsp water. Press through a strainer and stir in the
> brandy. Use to coat the top and sides of the cake. Scatter the cake
> generously with grated chocolate.
>
> Try not to eat it all in one sitting. :-)
>
> Debbie

Damsel

"Debbie" > said:

> Serve it with some salsa on the side. Italian today..mexican tomorrow,
> Greece the next, followed by Swiss. Where will you travel next??? :-)

Heehee! I just finished my 3-egg omelette for today. It had lots of
spinach, some mozzarella, and some Italian seasoning blend. Tasted pretty
good, but it would have been a lot better with tomatoes.

Carol
Pandora

"Damsel" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Debbie" > said:
>
>> Serve it with some salsa on the side. Italian today..mexican tomorrow,
>> Greece the next, followed by Swiss. Where will you travel next??? :-)

> Heehee! I just finished my 3-egg omelette for today. It had lots of
> spinach, some mozzarella, and some Italian seasoning blend. Tasted pretty
> good, but it would have been a lot better with tomatoes.

Did you eat 3 eggs for breakfast? I thought you was on a diet....)))
Pandora

Ophelia

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Yes, it's very good and yes, ricotta is readily available in the U.S.
>> But
>> Carol listed the cheeses she has; ricotta isn't one of them. Were I
>> suggest a cheese she doesn't have, I'd also suggest feta and some
>> herbs such
>> as oregano or basil. Brie is also very nice with spinach

> I can afford to buy some of the less expensive cheeses. I plan on
> getting
> both ricotta and feta tomorrow.

I love feta with a few olives and tiny tomatoes, dribbled with evoo and
balsamic

Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. uk...

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
>> "jmcquown" > said:
>>
>>> Yes, it's very good and yes, ricotta is readily available in the U.S.
>>> But
>>> Carol listed the cheeses she has; ricotta isn't one of them. Were I to
>>> suggest a cheese she doesn't have, I'd also suggest feta and some herbs
>>> such
>>> as oregano or basil. Brie is also very nice with spinach

>> I can afford to buy some of the less expensive cheeses. I plan on
>> getting
>> both ricotta and feta tomorrow.

> I love feta with a few olives and tiny tomatoes, dribbled with evoo and
> balsamic

Don't forget cucumber and red onions. So you have a Greek salad! )
Pandora

Ps. hey Ophelia, I want to ask you a thing. A lot of time ago I went in
England (I was only 15th) and my friends cooked for me the so called
"Yorkshire pudding".
I loved it very much. But now I forgot the recipe. Do you know this kind of
pudding?
Thanks for the help
Pan

A Ross

In article >,
Damsel > wrote:

> As of tomorrow morning, I'll be following a controlled fat/carb diet which
> requires a substantial amount of veggies at every meal. Since the
> neighbors gave us enough veggies to last a couple weeks, I really can't
> afford to waste the salad ingredients that I'd already bought for lunches.
> I'm not going to make the broccoli-cheddar omelettes that I'd planned on.
>
> So .... if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
> is there another (affordable) that I should try?
>
> Carol, newly acquainted with fresh spinach and lovin' it

My first vote would be feta. Second would be sharp cheddar...

Amy
Dee Randall

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Damsel wrote:
>
>> if you were making a spinach omelette, what variety of cheese would
>> you put in with it? Please bear in mind that we're po' folk who can't
>> afford the really cool cheeses. Already in my possession are sharp
>> cheddar, mozzarella, american, and swiss. Would one of those be good, or
>> is there another (affordable) that I should try?

> Either Swiss or a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella would be good in a
> spinach omelette. But my preference would be for a cheese sauce poured
> over
> a plain-spinach omelette. Just make a white sauce, add grated cheese and
> let
> it sit for about 30 seconds, then whisk it into the sauce. Would the
> flour
> or the oil/butter in the white sauce make it taboo for your diet?
>
> Bob

My vote: I'd use Swiss. To me it seems to fit better with a tangy spinach
or a chard, taste wise.
The second choice would be mozzarella.
I wouldn't pour a cheese sauce over a spinach omelette.
Dee Dee