TomKan

Default Is Bumble Bee canned red salmon cooked??

Or am I eating Sushi?
Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

aem

TomKan wrote:
> Or am I eating Sushi?
> Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

Cooked in the cans, equivalent of steaming/boiling. Definitely not
raw. If there are little bones, you can eat them too. -aem

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, "aem" > said:
> TomKan wrote:

> > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> Cooked in the cans, equivalent of steaming/boiling. Definitely not
> raw. If there are little bones, you can eat them too. -aem

Ugh! *Shiver* I know I'm a rarity, but I can't stand eating
bones, cooked or not...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"TomKan" > wrote:

> Or am I eating Sushi?
> Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

Cooked. In the can during processing.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (no pictures
yet, though)

TomKan

The answer to your first question, if by "cooked" you would include
any exposure to heat, is "yes," per the following:

http://www.bumblebee.com/tuna_ process.jsp

....which describes the process, including a "baking" step to
eliminate excess oil from the tuna.

____Reply Separator_____

Well, you really haven't answered my second question since it was about
red salmon, not tuna.

Bob Myers

"TomKan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Or am I eating Sushi?
> Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

Well, then you've already answered your last question,
haven't you?

The answer to your first question, if by "cooked" you would include
any exposure to heat, is "yes," per the following:

http://www.bumblebee.com/tuna_process.jsp

....which describes the process, including a "baking" step to
eliminate excess oil from the tuna.

Bob M.

Default User

TomKan wrote:

> ____Reply Separator_____

Tp post with quotes and attributions from Google, don't use the broken
Reply at the bottom of the message. Click "show options" and use the
Reply shown in the expanded header.

Brian
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

TomKan wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

http://www.homecanning.com/can/ALStepbyStep.asp?ST=6

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Seamus

> TomKan wrote:
> > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

:->> Cooked in the cans, equivalent of steaming/boiling. Definitely
not
:->> raw. If there are little bones, you can eat them too. -aem

:->Ugh! *Shiver* I know I'm a rarity, but I can't stand eating
:->bones, cooked or not...

Great source of calcium ( and crunchy too!)

Sheldon

TomKan wrote:
> Or am I eating Sushi?
> Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

Sheldon

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> TomKan wrote:
>
>>Or am I eating Sushi?
>>Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

Sushi is a rice cuisine with cooked and raw ingredients including, but
not limited, to fish.

Pastorio
jmcquown

TomKan wrote:
> Or am I eating Sushi?
> Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

Funny thing, I'd never *ever* seen Bumblebee canned salmon until yesterday
after you posted this! All canned salmon is cooked and ready to eat, should
you choose to do so. I prefer to use it to make salmon patties, croquettes
or as a filling in stuffed pasta shells. That reminds me I need to make
some of those really soon! With a dill cream sauce.

Jill

Seamus

>Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

Not so sushi ...
Consider California roll (crabstick (not raw), avocado, cucumber),
Temaki ((bird) egg, that is scrambled egg), Philadelphia Roll(smoked
salmon, cream cheese), smoked salmon,
Sea urchin (not a fish) roe, as well as Vegetable ... not a bloody
critter in that one !

Peter Aitken

"Seamus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

> Not so sushi ...
> Consider California roll (crabstick (not raw), avocado, cucumber),
> Temaki ((bird) egg, that is scrambled egg), Philadelphia Roll(smoked
> salmon, cream cheese), smoked salmon,
> Sea urchin (not a fish) roe, as well as Vegetable ... not a bloody
> critter in that one !

"Sushi" refers to the vinegared rice.

--
Peter Aitken

George

Sheldon wrote:
> TomKan wrote:
>
>>Or am I eating Sushi?
>>Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
>
> Sheldon

That idea persists for some reason but it is a presentation style not
raw fish. There are numerous variations that do not contain raw fish.
sf

On 4 Aug 2005 15:51:55 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> TomKan wrote:
> > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

sushi
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html
sahsimi
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2044.html
http://www.rain.org/~hutch/sashimi.html
Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2005 15:51:55 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>

> > TomKan wrote:
> > > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> > Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
> >

> sushi
> http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html

Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.

Sushi IS raw fish.

sushi
[SOO-shee]
A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened
RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once cooled, the rice has a
glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a wide variety of sushi
including nigiri sushi (thin slices of *raw* fish seasoned with WASABI
and wrapped around or layered with this rice), hosomaki (thin sushi
rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make these rolls, various
chopped vegetables, *raw* fish, pickles, TOFU, etc. are enclosed in
sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI (seaweed). The rolls are
then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to be finger food and can be
served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal. Soy sauce is often served
with sushi for dipping.

=A9 Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.=20
---

Sheldon

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > TomKan wrote:
> >
> >>Or am I eating Sushi?
> >>Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> > Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

> Sushi is a rice cuisine with cooked and raw ingredients including, but
> not limited, to fish.
>
> Pastorio

My understanding is that sushi refers to vinegared rice. The stuff
commonly referred to as sushi are nigiri (a rice "ball" with a topping
which may or may not be fish, and if it is fish, the fish may or may
not be raw), maki (a roll containing sushi and other ingredients
following ythe same rules as for nigiri) and sahimi (this IS raw fish,
and is usually served with but separate from rice). All are usually
served with soy SAUCE and wasabi (which may be combined to make a
hot-as-you-like dipping SAUCE) and gari (pickled young ginger) on the
side. Shredded daikon is often served on the side, too.

-bwg

-bwg

Ariane Jenkins

On 5 Aug 2005 10:33:54 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

> Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
> useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.
>
> Sushi IS raw fish.
>
> sushi
> [SOO-shee]
> A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened
> RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once cooled, the rice has a
> glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a wide variety of sushi
> including nigiri sushi (thin slices of *raw* fish seasoned with WASABI
> and wrapped around or layered with this rice), hosomaki (thin sushi
> rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make these rolls, various
> chopped vegetables, *raw* fish, pickles, TOFU, etc. are enclosed in
> sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI (seaweed). The rolls are
> then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to be finger food and can be
> served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal. Soy sauce is often served
> with sushi for dipping.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
> ---
>
> Sheldon

<sigh> Your own cut-and-paste definition lists other ingredients
_besides_ raw fish. The point people are trying to make is that sushi
_does not automatically equal_ raw fish, it can be many different things.

Saying "sushi is raw fish" is about as accurate (Hint: Not very.)
as saying "dim sum is pork" or "tapas are potatoes".

Ariane
--
Stupidity: Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win
and never quit are idiots.

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, "Sheldon" > said:
> TomKan wrote:

> > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

I believe you're thinking of sashimi...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:

> Funny thing, I'd never *ever* seen Bumblebee canned salmon until yesterday
> after you posted this! All canned salmon is cooked and ready to eat, should
> you choose to do so. I prefer to use it to make salmon patties, croquettes
> or as a filling in stuffed pasta shells. That reminds me I need to make
> some of those really soon! With a dill cream sauce.

Red cannned salmon is too good to use for patties/croquettes, or even
mashed with mayo, use the pink. Canned red salmon is eaten plain, with
a bit of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper...arranged
on a bed of lettuce with thinly sliced cukes and red ripe tomato, a
small bit of green onion and a sprig of parsley. That's all... no
dressing whatsoever.

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:

> Red cannned salmon is too good to use for patties/croquettes, or even
> mashed with mayo, use the pink. Canned red salmon is eaten plain, with
> a bit of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper...arranged
> on a bed of lettuce with thinly sliced cukes and red ripe tomato, a
> small bit of green onion and a sprig of parsley. That's all... no
> dressing whatsoever.

Well, you're certainly right that red (or sockeye) salmon is definitely
better than pink, but that just means it makes better patties. I would
caution people to be sure it's a good brand where 'red' really refers
to the species of salmon, not just the color of the flesh. The canned
stuff from Alaska is accurately labeled. As to your salmon plate, you
can do the same with leftover grilled or poached salmon, and some
sliced pickles will do if you don't have fresh cukes. I would sneak on
a dab of mayo, but then I'm a mayo lover. -aem

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Red cannned salmon is too good to use for patties/croquettes, or even
> > mashed with mayo, use the pink. Canned red salmon is eaten plain, with
> > a bit of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper...arranged
> > on a bed of lettuce with thinly sliced cukes and red ripe tomato, a
> > small bit of green onion and a sprig of parsley. That's all... no
> > dressing whatsoever.
> >

> Well, you're certainly right that red (or sockeye) salmon is definitely
> better than pink, but that just means it makes better patties.

I don't think red salmon makes better patties, that's like thinking
ground porterhouse makes better meat loaf... not. Just a waste of a
good steak.

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:

> I don't think red salmon makes better patties, that's like thinking
> ground porterhouse makes better meat loaf... not. Just a waste of a
> good steak.

Suum cuique, as it used to say above the bar at Jake Wirth's.
Incidentally, Trader Joe's sells a canned Alaska smoked salmon that
might be good on your salmon plate. Or, in another thread, on a Ritz
cracker with a bit of cream cheese. -aem

Bob Myers

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> My understanding is that sushi refers to vinegared rice. The stuff
> commonly referred to as sushi are nigiri (a rice "ball" with a topping
> which may or may not be fish, and if it is fish, the fish may or may
> not be raw), maki (a roll containing sushi and other ingredients
> following ythe same rules as for nigiri)

"Sushi" is generally used in Japan to refer only to the complete
items made with the vinegared rice (which itself is "sushi-meshi"),
although those ARE distinguished as "nigiri-sushi" (or "nigiri-zushi,"
same thing, different Romanization), "maki-sushi," etc.. Ask a
Japanese for "sushi," and I guarantee you that you will NOT get
just the rice. (Oh, and besides rice vinegar, salt and sugar are
generally added to the rice as well.)

However, that also means that you and others are completely correct
in noting that "sushi" does NOT equate to "raw fish" (which, as
noted, is "sashimi" - or more correctly, "sashimi" is the dish
consisting of slices of very fresh raw fish, generally served cold -
it does not mean "raw fish" in general any more than "steak tartare"
mean "ground beef" in general). Sashimi-style pieces of raw fish
are a very common topping for nigiri-sushi, but hardly the only
possibilities. The most common counterexample to the "raw fish"
notion is "kappa-maki," which is nothing more than slivers of
cucumber rolled up with the rice in a nori (dried, toasted seaweed)
wrapper.

Then, there's "kaiten sushi" - which has nothing to do with how
it's made, but rather with how it's served (typically, on a conveyor belt
circling the chefs!). Kaiten-sushi places seem to have sprung up
all over Tokyo recently, at least as of my last trip there....damn,
now I'm getting hungry again....

Bob M.

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
>>>

>>sushi
>>http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html

> Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
> useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.
>
> Sushi IS raw fish.

Spoken like someone who has never eaten sushi or seen a typical sushi
menu. And the definition below is why I hold Sharon Tyler Herbst in low
esteem.

Sushi is all about the rice. Everything else is accompaniment to the
rice. Shrimp, octopus, eel and other seafoods are cooked. Omelets are
obviously cooked eggs (with other ingredients in the case of the type
used in sushi). Crisp salmon skin rolls are made with cooked skin.
Surimi is cooked.

This paragraph below has erroneous descriptions - no fish is "wrapped
around a ball of rice for nigiri-zushi, nor is nigiri ever layered. It's
sometimes made with sweetened rice vinegar; not always. Sushi rice
specifically *does not* separate easily. It's sticky and deliberately
so. The fish isn't seasoned with wasabi; wasabi is applied to the rice,
but it's not always used. She seems to think that only discretely formed
pieces are sushi, obviously not having heard of "battera" (pressed
sushi) or "chirashi-zushi" (fish and other things scattered over a bowl
of rice), neither unusual or rare.

Pastorio

> sushi
> [SOO-shee]
> A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened
> RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once cooled, the rice has a
> glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a wide variety of sushi
> including nigiri sushi (thin slices of *raw* fish seasoned with WASABI
> and wrapped around or layered with this rice), hosomaki (thin sushi
> rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make these rolls, various
> chopped vegetables, *raw* fish, pickles, TOFU, etc. are enclosed in
> sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI (seaweed). The rolls are
> then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to be finger food and can be
> served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal. Soy sauce is often served
> with sushi for dipping.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Bob (this one)

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.

>>Sushi is a rice cuisine with cooked and raw ingredients including, but
>>not limited, to fish.
>>
>>Pastorio

> My understanding is that sushi refers to vinegared rice. The stuff
> commonly referred to as sushi are nigiri (a rice "ball" with a topping
> which may or may not be fish, and if it is fish, the fish may or may
> not be raw), maki (a roll containing sushi and other ingredients
> following the same rules as for nigiri)

This is correct, as far as it goes. But there are many other forms
including "pressed" sushi where rice is put into a form, topped with
(usually) fish and pressed into a single flat piece which is then cut
into bite-sized pieces. Or "scattered" sushi where a bowl is filled to
whatever degree with rice and pieces of fish and/or other things are
simply plaid on the surface. Or filled abura-age bags (fried tofu that
opens like pita bread). There are filled rice balls (Onigiri) wrapped
with nori. Marinated and salted mackerel pressed into a mold with rice
make saba-zushi - almost like seviche.

Rolls are typically made with ingredients not easily usable on nigiri,
like chopped and heavily seasoned fish or strips of avocado. Rolls can
be made with a "makisu" (bamboo rolling sheet) or by hand.

> and sahimi (this IS raw fish,
> and is usually served with but separate from rice). All are usually
> served with soy SAUCE and wasabi (which may be combined to make a
> hot-as-you-like dipping SAUCE) and gari (pickled young ginger) on the
> side. Shredded daikon is often served on the side, too.

Sashimi is specifically not served with rice. You might think of it as
sushi without rice.

There are other very specific sushi preparations like eel which is
cooked, adhered to the nigiri rice ball with a strip of nori and brushed
with a special sweetened soy-based seasoning. Or uni (sea urchin eggs)
which aren't adhered at all but are contained within a wall formed by
wrapping a piece of nori around the rice ball such that it's open on top
and forms a kind of tiny bucket with rice in the bottom. The rice ball
is put down on the table and the nori is wrapped around it horizontally,
and so, open on top and bottom. The uni is dropped into the opening on
top and served that way. The full complement of sushi preparations is
large, considerably larger than is typically available in American sushi
bars unless extremely upscale.

Pastorio
sf

On 5 Aug 2005 10:33:54 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
> > >

> > sushi
> > http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html

> Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
> useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.
>
> Sushi IS raw fish.

One of the components of sushi can be raw fish, but you call raw fish
& seafood sashimi.

Bob Myers

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

> This paragraph below has erroneous descriptions - no fish is "wrapped
> around a ball of rice for nigiri-zushi, nor is nigiri ever layered. It's
> sometimes made with sweetened rice vinegar; not always. Sushi rice
> specifically *does not* separate easily. It's sticky and deliberately
> so. The fish isn't seasoned with wasabi; wasabi is applied to the rice,
> but it's not always used.

Bob, I'd have to disagree with you a bit on that last point; I have often
seen, in Japan, a dab of wasabi applied to the "fish" rather than the
rice in nigiri-zushi. I put "fish" in quotes because it seems to depend
on the relative firmness of the topping vs. the rice - e.g., the wasabi
dab would often go on the underside of ebi (shrimp) rather than
on the rice, but on the rice in the case of hamachi (yellowtail).

Bob M.

Bob Myers

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Or uni (sea urchin eggs)
> which aren't adhered at all but are contained within a wall formed by
> wrapping a piece of nori around the rice ball such that it's open on top
> and forms a kind of tiny bucket with rice in the bottom. The rice ball
> is put down on the table and the nori is wrapped around it horizontally,
> and so, open on top and bottom.

The general term for this is "gunkan" ("battleship") sushi, named for
its resemblance to an old-style, slab-sided battleship. This form is
also commonly used with ikura (salmon roe).

Bob M.

Bob (this one)

Bob Myers wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote
>
>>This paragraph below has erroneous descriptions - no fish is "wrapped
>>around a ball of rice for nigiri-zushi, nor is nigiri ever layered. It's
>>sometimes made with sweetened rice vinegar; not always. Sushi rice
>>specifically *does not* separate easily. It's sticky and deliberately
>>so. The fish isn't seasoned with wasabi; wasabi is applied to the rice,
>>but it's not always used.

> Bob, I'd have to disagree with you a bit on that last point; I have often
> seen, in Japan, a dab of wasabi applied to the "fish" rather than the
> rice in nigiri-zushi. I put "fish" in quotes because it seems to depend
> on the relative firmness of the topping vs. the rice - e.g., the wasabi
> dab would often go on the underside of ebi (shrimp) rather than
> on the rice, but on the rice in the case of hamachi (yellowtail).

I agree. I was making the distinction between the quote from Sheldon
from S.T. Herbst who said that the fish was "seasoned" with wasabi and I
stated it badly. But, yes, you're correct. It's often applied to the
underside of the slice of fish which is then pressed into the nigiri
rice ball.

Pastorio
Bob (this one)

Bob Myers wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>Or uni (sea urchin eggs)
>>which aren't adhered at all but are contained within a wall formed by
>>wrapping a piece of nori around the rice ball such that it's open on top
>>and forms a kind of tiny bucket with rice in the bottom. The rice ball
>>is put down on the table and the nori is wrapped around it horizontally,
>>and so, open on top and bottom.

> The general term for this is "gunkan" ("battleship") sushi, named for
> its resemblance to an old-style, slab-sided battleship. This form is
> also commonly used with ikura (salmon roe).

Yep. Thought I'd already put too much info in the posts, so I was
reluctant to put more Japanese words in them. In the evolution of sushi
internationally, all sorts of non-traditional things are finding their
way into this type. In Belgium, I had minced smoked salmon and a
triple-cream cheese with a hot pepper puree in one. I stared at it for a
while. Cheese? In New York, I had "two-color caviar" red and black
arranged in a yin-yang design with superfine threads of lemon zest. In
California, I had very finely minced grilled rare tuna with mole - hated it.

It's interesting how the previously codified (almost a fish pun; except
no cod in sushi) world of sushi is growing into other cultures' culinary
vistas.

Pastorio
George

Sheldon wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
>>>

>>sushi
>>http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html

> Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
> useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.
>
> Sushi IS raw fish.
>
> sushi
> [SOO-shee]
> A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened
> RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once cooled, the rice has a
> glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a wide variety of sushi
> including nigiri sushi (thin slices of *raw* fish seasoned with WASABI
> and wrapped around or layered with this rice), hosomaki (thin sushi
> rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make these rolls, various
> chopped vegetables, *raw* fish, pickles, TOFU, etc. are enclosed in
> sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI (seaweed). The rolls are
> then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to be finger food and can be
> served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal. Soy sauce is often served
> with sushi for dipping.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
> ---
>
> Sheldon

This reminds me of the old Bob Newheart show where he ran an inn and
wrote how to do it books although he was incapable of and never did
anything he described in the books and thus often produced instructions
that were unusable.

The definition you quoted was clearly produced in a similar light. She
probably never saw a sushi menu and may have read about it.

hob

hint - sashimi is raw fish -

sushi is sweetened rice rolled around other ingredients - not always raw.
Eel sushi, for example, is cooked eel.

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

sf wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2005 15:51:55 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>

> > TomKan wrote:
> > > Or am I eating Sushi?
> > > Actually, Sushi IS NOT raw fish.

> > Sushi is raw fish served with cooked ingredients, ie. cooked rice.
> >

> sushi
> http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2038.html

Not sure what point you're attempting to make as that link is virtually
useless in relating to state of fish used as it is mute in that regard.

Sushi IS raw fish.

sushi
[SOO-shee]
A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened
RICE VINEGAR, a mixture called SUSHI MESHI. Once cooled, the rice has a
glossy sheen and separates easily. There is a wide variety of sushi
including nigiri sushi (thin slices of *raw* fish seasoned with WASABI
and wrapped around or layered with this rice), hosomaki (thin sushi
rolls) and futomaki (thick sushi rolls). To make these rolls, various
chopped vegetables, *raw* fish, pickles, TOFU, etc. are enclosed in
sushi rice and wrapped in thin sheets of NORI (seaweed). The rolls are
then cut into slices. Sushi are designed to be finger food and can be
served as appetizers, snacks or a full meal. Soy sauce is often served
with sushi for dipping.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

> > Cooked in the cans, equivalent of steaming/boiling. Definitely not
> > raw. If there are little bones, you can eat them too. -aem

> Ugh! *Shiver* I know I'm a rarity, but I can't stand eating
> bones, cooked or not...

I cannot eat canned salmon because of the bones; I love salmon fillets,
but don't like it canned. I remember once as a kid my stopmom made a
canned salmon skillet casserole with sauce and noodles and stuff, but
it was full of those round salmon bones, and I had to pick all those
bones out before I can eat it.

I didn't like soft shell crabs either because I couldn't eat the shell;
to me it had the consistency of those little pieces of shrimp body that
the tail attaches to but you pull them off when you eat the shrimp. I
wound up getting a crab fork and tried getting the meat out of the soft
shell crab and it didn't work well.

Gregory Morrow

> I didn't like soft shell crabs either because I couldn't eat the shell;
> to me it had the consistency of those little pieces of shrimp body that
> the tail attaches to but you pull them off when you eat the shrimp. I
> wound up getting a crab fork and tried getting the meat out of the soft
> shell crab and it didn't work well.

Sometimes I'll eat shrimp shells and all...good roughage :-)

--
Best
Greg