Nancree

Default A Decadent Sandwich

Has anyone tried baking these in a hot oven, instead of deep-frying them? If
so, please advise. I remember these as a wonderful treat from my youth.
Nancree
----------------------

From: jmcquown )
Subject: A Decadent Sandwich
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 2004-05-24 07:42:01 PST

Adapted from Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book:

Monte Cristo

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. cornstarch
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 Tbs. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. club soda
1-1/2 c. dark beer
6 slices white or whole-wheat bread, each buttered on one side
6 ounces Gruyère or Baby Swiss cheese, sliced into 18 1/16-inch-thick slices
8 ounces smoked ham, sliced into 9 1/16-inch-thick slices
8 ounces roast turkey, sliced into 9 1/16-inch-thick slices
5 tablespoons strawberry jam, plus extra to serve on the side
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1/2 cup powdered sugar

To make the Batter: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking
powder, baking soda, cayenne, and salt. Whisk in the club soda and beer. The
mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter. Refrigerate until
ready to use.

To assemble the Sandwiches: Set half of the slices buttered side down, and
cover with the cheese slices, folding them over if they extend past the
edges. Layer the ham and turkey over the cheese, and spread the jam over the
turkey. Place the top slice of bread on, buttered side up. Grill the
sandwiches on both sides. Now these would be good just like that, BUT

Pour the oil into a deep heavy-duty saucepan to fill it halfway. Heat the
oil to 350°F (175°C), measuring the temperature on a deep-fat thermometer.

Cut the sandwiches on a diagonal into thirds, to make 9 triangular pieces.

Stir the batter. Dip each sandwich piece into the batter, thoroughly coating
it. Fry the pieces 2 or 3 at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side, until they're nicely
browned, and transfer to a paper towel to drain. Allow the oil to come back
to temperature before you fry the next batch of sandwiches.

Place the sandwiches on a platter. Sift powdered sugar over them, and serve
with a side of jam.

Jill

jmcquown

Nancree wrote:
> Has anyone tried baking these in a hot oven, instead of deep-frying
> them? If so, please advise. I remember these as a wonderful treat
> from my youth. Nancree
> ----------------------

I suppose you could pan-fry them - not sure how the batter (consistency of
pancake batter) would come out if baked - maybe if the oven were *very* hot.
Why not try it and tell us what happens?

Jill

> From: jmcquown )
> Subject: A Decadent Sandwich
> This is the only article in this thread
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Date: 2004-05-24 07:42:01 PST
>

> Adapted from Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book:
>
> Monte Cristo
>
> 2 c. all-purpose flour
> 1 c. cornstarch
> 1 Tbs. baking powder
> 1 Tbs. baking soda
> 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/2 c. club soda
> 1-1/2 c. dark beer
> 6 slices white or whole-wheat bread, each buttered on one side
> 6 ounces Gruyère or Baby Swiss cheese, sliced into 18 1/16-inch-thick
> slices 8 ounces smoked ham, sliced into 9 1/16-inch-thick slices
> 8 ounces roast turkey, sliced into 9 1/16-inch-thick slices
> 5 tablespoons strawberry jam, plus extra to serve on the side
> Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>
> To make the Batter: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch,
> baking powder, baking soda, cayenne, and salt. Whisk in the club soda
> and beer. The mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter.
> Refrigerate until
> ready to use.
>
> To assemble the Sandwiches: Set half of the slices buttered side
> down, and cover with the cheese slices, folding them over if they
> extend past the edges. Layer the ham and turkey over the cheese, and
> spread the jam over the turkey. Place the top slice of bread on,
> buttered side up. Grill the sandwiches on both sides. Now these
> would be good just like that, BUT
>
> Pour the oil into a deep heavy-duty saucepan to fill it halfway. Heat
> the oil to 350°F (175°C), measuring the temperature on a deep-fat
> thermometer.
>
> Cut the sandwiches on a diagonal into thirds, to make 9 triangular
> pieces.
>
> Stir the batter. Dip each sandwich piece into the batter, thoroughly
> coating it. Fry the pieces 2 or 3 at a time, being careful not to
> overcrowd the pan. Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side, until
> they're nicely
> browned, and transfer to a paper towel to drain. Allow the oil to
> come back to temperature before you fry the next batch of sandwiches.
>
> Place the sandwiches on a platter. Sift powdered sugar over them, and
> serve with a side of jam.
>
> Jill

My decadent dessert Nancy Young General Cooking 9 20-01-2007 10:38 PM
A Decadent Sandwich jmcquown General Cooking 42 07-06-2004 03:45 AM
Decadent Fudge Hammer General Cooking 0 29-05-2004 09:28 AM
Decadent dips... Carnivore269 General Cooking 2 01-10-2003 03:54 AM