Damsel

Default Squash and Spider Identification

My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last night.
I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
slicing, oiling, and grilling.

Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
any closer.

I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Carol
The Cook

Damsel > wrote:

>My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last night.
>I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
>these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
>slicing, oiling, and grilling.
>
>Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
>the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
>them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
>fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
>routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
>get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
>any closer.
>
>I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
>Carol

The squash is yellow crookneck. I love them boiled with onion and a
dab of bacon grease. Plenty of black pepper.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Julia Altshuler

Damsel wrote:
I don't
> routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> any closer.
>
> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this message.)
For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.

--Lia

Damsel

Julia Altshuler > said:

> Damsel wrote:
> I don't
> > routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> > get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> > any closer.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

> Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this message.)

Damn, you're good. Do you do this professionally? LOL!

> For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
> the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
> vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.

Yeah, but then I've got an angry spider in my vacuum cleaner. Crash is
getting up in a couple hours. Hopefully, he can save me. <G>

Carol
Andy

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Damsel wrote:
> I don't
>> routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should
>> probably get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too
>> scared to get any closer.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow
>> squash: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

> Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this
> message.)
> For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
> the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
> vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.
>

> --Lia

Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]

BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply
stores for cheap).

We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the
"crunch" of sledge hammer or fly swatter.

OH THE GOOD OL' DAYS!

Andy

Julia Altshuler

Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
beat you to the punch with this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.

--Lia

Damsel

Julia Altshuler > said:

> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

There are people all over who are going to skip breakfast after viewing
those pictures. <G>

This guy isn't brown. He's dark, dark black. Like a cricket.

Carol
jmcquown

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually,
> I'll beat you to the punch with this:
>

> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

> --Lia

LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse. They
are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't care
what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly, but
gross.

And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
squash they are

Jill

Julia Altshuler

Andy wrote:

> Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]
>
> BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply
> stores for cheap).
>
> We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
> instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
> system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the
> "crunch" of sledge hammer or fly swatter.

Or, for a more absurd answer, you could try swallowing a bird to catch
the spider ...

--Lia

Sheldon

Andy wrote:

> Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]
>
> BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiot.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_ben.html

Sheldon

Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
> They
> are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't
> care
> what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
> abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly,
> but
> gross.

I was in a doctor's waiting room when someone from work came in ... she
had left her car windows open overnight and when she got in, whammo.
Holy crow, you shoulda seen this bite! What a mess, and it hurt her! Big
huge thing (okay, I guess abcess). Not a pretty thing.

nancy

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown
>> recluse. They
>> are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
>> don't care
>> what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a
>> HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not
>> deadly, but
>> gross.

> I was in a doctor's waiting room when someone from work came in ...
> she had left her car windows open overnight and when she got in,
> whammo.
> Holy crow, you shoulda seen this bite! What a mess, and it hurt her!
> Big huge thing (okay, I guess abcess). Not a pretty thing.
>
> nancy

You should have seen me when I was moving once. I had some of those
cardboard under-the-bed boxes and was sorting through clothing when out
ventured a rather large brown recluse. I jumped up, screaming. My
then-roommate screamed, too. I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and sucked it up
with the hose.

Note to Damsel: Trust me, those things don't survive what is (to them)
tornado force 5 winds

Jill

limey

"Damsel" wrote in message
> My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
> night.
> I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
> these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
> slicing, oiling, and grilling.

Hate to contradict people, but they are straightneck squash, not crookneck,
says Farmer Dora. They're cooked the same way, though. You can grill,
sauté in butter, or even simmer gently in butter. Dill is a good addition,
too.

> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
> the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
> them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
> fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
> routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> any closer.

Ugh. I hate crawlies. The vacuum idea sounds good, though - I usually
chase them down and bash them with a sledgehammer. We have a variety of
cricket that gives me the creeps. They *stare* at me (literally) and can
jump a mile high. I've found the only way to kill those suckers is to drop
a book on them from above (they can't look up, apparently).

> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
> Carol

Sheldon

limey wrote:

> Hate to contradict people, but they are straightneck squash, not crookneck,
> says Farmer Dora. They're cooked the same way, though.

You are correct.

Crookneck:
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...ookneck+squash

http://tinyurl.com/anjth

Sheldon

tintalle

I was bitten by a recluse about 7 yrs ago. Nasty horrible.... ugh. Was
very lucky I didn't lose my foot because of it. Ended up with just some
tissue damage, still have some scarring.

jmcquown wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>>Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually,
>>I'll beat you to the punch with this:
>>

>>http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>>

>>Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>>

>>--Lia

> LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse. They
> are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't care
> what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
> abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly, but
> gross.
>
> And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
> brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
> Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
> squash they are
>
> Jill

Damsel

"Sheldon" > said:

> Crookneck:
> http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...ookneck+squash
>
> http://tinyurl.com/anjth

Thanks for looking that up! I had only seen the straightneck yellow summer
squash up until now.

And Burpee has the spearmint seeds we've been looking for all spring and
summer in local stores. You can buy peppermint, and you can buy mint, but
nothing designated as spearmint. We're going to plant it along the north
side of the house. We're planting the mint along our foundation, and when
it spreads, all we have to do is mow right over it, and the whole
neighborhood will smell minty fresh.

Carol
Rhonda Anderson

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
>

> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

> --Lia

Come live around Sydney for a while and you might change your mind <g>.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/funnelwb.html

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/

The happy news of course is that since the development of antivenoms, no
deaths have occurred <g>. Plenty of redbacks in my yard, but I've not
seen any funnelwebs - possibly gets a bit too dry where I am. Mind you, I
always check the toes of my boots before putting them on. I remember a
news story some years ago where a bloke (living somewhere in North
Sydney, I think, where there are plenty of funnelwebs) put his shoes on
and travelled all the way to work before being bitten by a funnelweb in
the toe of his shoe.

Of course, the majority of spiders are not lethal, but a couple of
species that will make you pretty sick, and could kill you, is enough for
me :-)

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
nancy1

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
>

> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

> --Lia

One of my co-workers in OKC got bitten (in bed) on her thigh by a brown
recluse (she was able to catch it and put it in a jar to take to the
ER) - she permanently lost a sizable portion of skin/tissue from her
thigh because of the necrotizing action of the bite. Just FYI...spider
bites CAN be serious.

N.

salgud

The Cook wrote:
> Damsel > wrote:
>
> >My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last night.
> >I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
> >these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
> >slicing, oiling, and grilling.
> >
> >Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
> >the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
> >them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
> >fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
> >routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> >get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> >any closer.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> >http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
> >
> >Carol

> The squash is yellow crookneck. I love them boiled with onion and a
> dab of bacon grease. Plenty of black pepper.
>

> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

I think the spider'd be good cooked in bacon grease and pepper too!

Cindy Fuller

In article > ,
Dog3 > wrote:

> Damsel > wrote in
> :
>
> > My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
> > night. I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What
> > variety are these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking
> > of maybe slicing, oiling, and grilling.

> That is a crookneck squash. I usually saute' chunks and use salt and
> pepper for seasoning.

MMMMM! I smuggled a small zucchini into the house for today's lunch, to
be eaten with leftover crawfish/shrimp étouffée.

> > Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't
> > mind the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs
> > (never saw them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that
> > are fast, fast, fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very
> > black. I don't routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm
> > us, I should probably get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because
> > I was too scared to get any closer.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow
> > squash: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
> >
> > Carol

> UGH!!! I hate spiders. It's not a brown recluse because I've been bitten
> by one, nasty little f*ckers. I had a giant, infected crater on my calf
> for weeks. I don't know what kind this is. Try trapping it in a jar and
> throw it outside.

This sounds like something the SO did last night. This morning I found
the glass cover to the office light fixture on the front porch. Turns
out it was a nice incubator for baby spiders, and SO was liberating
them--to feed the birds. So much for having compassion for
invertebrates.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

sf

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 06:18:54 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Squash... It looks like a cross between crookneck and yellow zucchini.
http://www.hormel.com/templates/temp...mid=114&id=828

Spider... your picture is blurrry, so go to Google pictures and type
in Parson Spider. Does that look like that?
Damsel

sf <sf@gmail> said:

> Spider... your picture is blurrry, so go to Google pictures and type
> in Parson Spider. Does that look like that?

That's our guy. Of course, I don't know where he is anymore. Maybe he'll
come back out tonight and we can get him out of here. I don't want
hundreds of them, in case he's a she.

Thank you!
Carol
limey

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> limey wrote:
>> >

>> Hate to contradict people, but they are straightneck squash, not
>> crookneck,
>> says Farmer Dora. They're cooked the same way, though.

> You are correct.
>
> Crookneck:
> http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...ookneck+squash
>
> http://tinyurl.com/anjth
>
> Sheldon

Thanks, Sheldon. Here's the URL for the straightneck, so now Carol can
compa

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...ghtneck+squash

Dora

serene

tintalle > wrote:

> I was bitten by a recluse about 7 yrs ago. Nasty horrible.... ugh. Was
> very lucky I didn't lose my foot because of it. Ended up with just some
> tissue damage, still have some scarring.

Ick. This is reminding me of my stingray bite, which is not anything
like a spider bite, but I too still have a scar that took a LONG time to
heal. Years.

serene
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden
> last night. I've only seen the ones that look like yellow
> zucchini. What variety are these, and what's a good way to cook
> them? I was thinking of maybe slicing, oiling, and grilling.
>
> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I
> don't mind the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5"
> bent legs (never saw them before moving here). But I'm scared of
> the ones that are fast, fast, fast! This one is about a half inch
> long, and very black. I don't routinely kill critters, but if
> the spider can harm us, I should probably get rid of it. The
> picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get any closer.
>
> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow
> squash: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
> Carol

It's probably a rabid wolf spider...not considered dangerous. Runs it's
prey down.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...es/rabid_wolf_
spider.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/dm3df

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Damsel

"salgud" > said:

> I think the spider'd be good cooked in bacon grease and pepper too!

Well, THAT sent shockwaves through my system!

Carol
~patches~

Damsel wrote:

> sf <sf@gmail> said:
>

>>Spider... your picture is blurrry, so go to Google pictures and type
>>in Parson Spider. Does that look like that?

> That's our guy. Of course, I don't know where he is anymore. Maybe he'll
> come back out tonight and we can get him out of here. I don't want
> hundreds of them, in case he's a she.

I'd just vacate the premises, call in the armed guards, and fumigate
with an AK-7 or something that would guarantee the thing was blown up
Spiders are nothing to mess with. They are horrid critters if you ask
me. Now DH would just swat the thing all while he laughs at my
hysterics. Don't even get me going on snakes!

> Thank you!
> Carol

Victor Sack

Damsel > wrote:

> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom.

Just squash the spider. Use that gourd of yours if you must. No need
for identification in either case.

Victor
Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

> It's probably a rabid wolf spider...not considered dangerous. Runs it's
> prey down.
>
> http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...es/rabid_wolf_
> spider.htm
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/dm3df

That's a scary looking one, too. Three, four. ARGH! I have Pastorio's
Disease.

Anyway, sf found the identity of this one. It's a Parson Spider.

Carol, seeking medical attention (not for the spider)
Damsel

~patches~ > said:

> I'd just vacate the premises, call in the armed guards, and fumigate
> with an AK-7 or something that would guarantee the thing was blown up
> Spiders are nothing to mess with. They are horrid critters if you ask
> me. Now DH would just swat the thing all while he laughs at my
> hysterics. Don't even get me going on snakes!

If someone had seen me when I first spotted that thing, they'd have thought
I was having a seizure. I'm pretty proud of how well I do around most
spiders nowadays. But this sucker freaked me out, bigtime. (I'm scared of
snakes, too)

Carol

Nexis

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
> night.
> I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
> these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
> slicing, oiling, and grilling.
>
> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
> the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
> them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
> fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
> routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
> get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
> any closer.
>
> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
> Carol

Hey Dams :-)

It's kinda hard to tell with the spider...could be a Parson or a common
black house spider. How big is it? Neither one is known to be venomous,
although they both will bite in the right circumstances. Parsons generally
like to stay hidden during daytime. As a general rule, I only get rid of
spiders that are either venomous or really big and ugly! lol We get alot of
the common house spiders, orb weavers etc, but they take care of more
annoying insects so I don't worry about them.

Last summer I had spent the day at my mom's, who had had 4 tarantulas in her
house since moving in. Later that night I discovered one apparently hitched
a ride home with me, because while my husband and I were snuggled on the
couch watching a movie I suddenly saw something large and black moving
across the floor. There weren't any lights on in the room, just the light
from the tv screen. I just about screamed I turned on the light and when
my husband stood up, it reared up, waving the two front legs up in the air.
I grabbed a canning jar and he captured our intruder and released him into
the canyon behind the house.

Now about that squash...looks like a yellow squash to me. Similar in taste
and texture to a yellow crookneck squash. Great brushed with a flavored
olive oil or avocado oil, like blood orange or meyer lemon, then grilled.
Also works well for stirfry.

Enjoy

kimberly

I don't think the spider can live in all that suction. Being sucked
into a vacuum bag will be one of the surer ways you can kill it
without having to get close to it. Vacuum a room or two after the
spider, then take the vacuum bag out to your outdoor trash bins.
Problem solved!

(I'm scared of big spiders too, so I sympathize. Big BLACK spiders in
my home are enough to give me a shot of adrenaline to the heart. I'd
want to be rid of it, too.)

Melissa

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
> > It's probably a rabid wolf spider...not considered dangerous.
> > Runs it's prey down.
> >
> > http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...y/mpages/rabid
> > _wolf_ spider.htm
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/dm3df

> That's a scary looking one, too. Three, four. ARGH! I have
> Pastorio's Disease.
>
> Anyway, sf found the identity of this one. It's a Parson Spider.
>
> Carol, seeking medical attention (not for the spider)

une deux catre cinq in the riber...and drowned. Me...counting in french
age 5.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
MOMPEAGRAM

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ > said:
>
>> I'd just vacate the premises, call in the armed guards, and fumigate
>> with an AK-7 or something that would guarantee the thing was blown up
>> Spiders are nothing to mess with. They are horrid critters if you ask
>> me. Now DH would just swat the thing all while he laughs at my
>> hysterics. Don't even get me going on snakes!

> If someone had seen me when I first spotted that thing, they'd have
> thought
> I was having a seizure. I'm pretty proud of how well I do around most
> spiders nowadays. But this sucker freaked me out, bigtime. (I'm scared
> of
> snakes, too)
>
> Carol

Most spiders don't bother me, or snakes. But centipedes? I'm at least able
to control myself to just a small squeal as I rush to get a tissue
or turn on the hot water tap. And Rats.... that's a whole nuther story!

MoM

Rick & Cyndi

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
. 5...
> Julia Altshuler > wrote in
> :
>
>> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
>> beat you to the punch with this:
>>

>> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>>

>> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> Come live around Sydney for a while and you might change your mind <g>.
>
> http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
> http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/funnelwb.html
>
> http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/
>
> The happy news of course is that since the development of antivenoms, no
> deaths have occurred <g>. Plenty of redbacks in my yard, but I've not
> seen any funnelwebs - possibly gets a bit too dry where I am. Mind you, I
> always check the toes of my boots before putting them on. I remember a
> news story some years ago where a bloke (living somewhere in North
> Sydney, I think, where there are plenty of funnelwebs) put his shoes on
> and travelled all the way to work before being bitten by a funnelweb in
> the toe of his shoe.
>
> Of course, the majority of spiders are not lethal, but a couple of
> species that will make you pretty sick, and could kill you, is enough for
> me :-)
>
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

==========

Thanks for posting that Rhonda. Neat pictures.

NOTE: Redbacks are known as "Black Widow" spiders in the states.

Cyndi/Syssi

Rick & Cyndi

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]
>>
>> BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply stores
>> for cheap).
>>
>> We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
>> instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
>> system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the "crunch"
>> of sledge hammer or fly swatter.

> Or, for a more absurd answer, you could try swallowing a bird to catch the
> spider ...
>

> --Lia
>----------

We have that book too! Rick and Nathan love it!

Cyndi/Syssi

Rick & Cyndi

"limey" <
<snip>>
> Ugh. I hate crawlies. The vacuum idea sounds good, though - I usually
> chase them down and bash them with a sledgehammer. We have a variety of
> cricket that gives me the creeps. They *stare* at me (literally) and can
> jump a mile high. I've found the only way to kill those suckers is to
> drop a book on them from above (they can't look up, apparently).
>>
>> I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow
>> squash:
>> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>>
>> Carol

> ==================

<SNORT> ROTFLMBO!! "...they can't look up, apparently"!! What a riot!

Thank you! I needed that!

Cyndi/Syssi

pennyaline

shiral14 wrote:
> I don't think the spider can live in all that suction. Being sucked
> into a vacuum bag will be one of the surer ways you can kill it
> without having to get close to it. Vacuum a room or two after the
> spider, then take the vacuum bag out to your outdoor trash bins.
> Problem solved!
>
> (I'm scared of big spiders too, so I sympathize. Big BLACK spiders in
> my home are enough to give me a shot of adrenaline to the heart. I'd
> want to be rid of it, too.)

A spider that predominates in this part of the US is the hobo spider. The
are huge, aggressive, outstandingly fast runners, have necrotizing venom,
and are notorious among exterminators for being hard to kill. More than one
exterminating company has advised us not to try to nab them with the vacuum
cleaner: "It only makes them mad!" Time in the vacuum wont kill them, and
they'll move heaven and earth to get you when you change the bag/empty the
canister.

We caught one once, and kept it in a jar, sealed up tight and with no food
source, for four weeks. If we left it alone, it sat still. If we made a move
toward the jar, it would move toward the glass. We became so uncomfortable
with its longevity that we finally terminated it by putting it in the
freezer -- a method recommended by exterminators.

We also have black widow and yellow sac spiders here. Yellow sac bites are
necrotizing too, just like hobos and brown recluses. Widows are another
matter. It's a good thing that black widows tend to be shy. I have several
black widow webs in my garage and window wells, and I'm glad that their
spinners are content to stay in their hiding places and avoid confrontation.

Janet Bostwick

"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
snip>
> Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]
>
> BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply
> stores for cheap).
>
> We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
> instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
> system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the
> "crunch" of sledge hammer or fly swatter.
>
> OH THE GOOD OL' DAYS!
>

> Andy

I gotta tell you what I got my husband for a Father's Day present. It's a
racquet, strung with wire and batteries in the handle. You take a swing at
the annoying bug and ZAPPO!!! Bug Gone. Particularly handy for those darn
moths that flutter around the lamps at night--and yellow jackets, and--oh,
heck, real handy and a lot of darn fun.
Janet

Squash identification SaPeIsMa General Cooking 17 04-08-2010 01:54 AM
Bird Eating Spider? merryb General Cooking 45 05-11-2008 08:46 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 17-01-2007 12:35 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 06:20 AM
Eating spider-legs ????? Hans-Marc Olsen Diabetic 3 19-11-2004 05:11 AM