Janet Bostwick

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> And Burpee has the spearmint seeds we've been looking for all spring and
> summer in local stores. You can buy peppermint, and you can buy mint, but
> nothing designated as spearmint. We're going to plant it along the north
> side of the house. We're planting the mint along our foundation, and when
> it spreads, all we have to do is mow right over it, and the whole
> neighborhood will smell minty fresh.
>
> Carol

I like spearmint better than mint although obviously each has its place.
When you get some useable spearmint, rinse it and bruise it a bit and toss
it in the jar of sun tea--lovely.
Janet

Damsel

"Nexis" > said:

> It's kinda hard to tell with the spider...could be a Parson or a common
> black house spider. How big is it? Neither one is known to be venomous,
> although they both will bite in the right circumstances. Parsons generally
> like to stay hidden during daytime. As a general rule, I only get rid of
> spiders that are either venomous or really big and ugly! lol We get alot of
> the common house spiders, orb weavers etc, but they take care of more
> annoying insects so I don't worry about them.

Well, I found out the name of the spider species that I'm the most afraid
of. Jumping Spiders. I can still remember the nightmare I had about them
hopping off a wall onto me. Hundreds of them. I must have been all of 4
years old when I had that dream. I've been terrified ever since.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1033.html

sf suggested that it might be a Parson Spider. She provided a link, and
that was the spider! Here are more pictures from an excellent site:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/2041/bgpage

> Last summer I had spent the day at my mom's, who had had 4 tarantulas in her
> house since moving in. Later that night I discovered one apparently hitched
> a ride home with me, because while my husband and I were snuggled on the
> couch watching a movie I suddenly saw something large and black moving
> across the floor. There weren't any lights on in the room, just the light
> from the tv screen. I just about screamed I turned on the light and when
> my husband stood up, it reared up, waving the two front legs up in the air.
> I grabbed a canning jar and he captured our intruder and released him into
> the canyon behind the house.

I. Would. Die.

> Now about that squash...looks like a yellow squash to me. Similar in taste
> and texture to a yellow crookneck squash. Great brushed with a flavored
> olive oil or avocado oil, like blood orange or meyer lemon, then grilled.
> Also works well for stirfry.

I'm gonna slice and grill it. I only have regular olive oil, though.

Carol
notbob

On 2005-08-04, pennyaline <nsmitchell@spamspamspamspamspamspamspameggandspam .com> wrote:

> and are notorious among exterminators for being hard to kill....

Here's my spider killer.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F5A223D8B

Use the long bernzOmatic bottles instead of the shorter Colman
bottles. Lock the flame on and grab the base of bottle to get some
reach. First, the legs go up like dry tinder, then they go "pop".
Guaranteed death in nano-seconds.

nb

Damsel

"MOMPEAGRAM" > said:

> Most spiders don't bother me, or snakes. But centipedes? I'm at least able
> to control myself to just a small squeal as I rush to get a tissue
> or turn on the hot water tap. And Rats.... that's a whole nuther story!

We've got lots of centipedes in our basement. They're the kind that look
like worms, so they don't bother me at all.

Rats .... yeah, a whole 'nother story!

Carol
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I'm gonna slice and grill it. I only have regular olive oil, though.
>
> Carol

Do a HarryD with the oil....In a microwave safe measuring cup put in
say 1/2 cup olive oil... slice in several cloves of
Garlic...Nuke!(undertermined time)...You have to watch the
garlic...first it floats then it sinks...when it floats again..You have
garlic oil and toasted garlic chips. Be careful the oil will be hot.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

> Damsel wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I'm gonna slice and grill it. I only have regular olive oil, though.

> Do a HarryD with the oil....In a microwave safe measuring cup put in
> say 1/2 cup olive oil... slice in several cloves of
> Garlic...Nuke!(undertermined time)...You have to watch the
> garlic...first it floats then it sinks...when it floats again..You have
> garlic oil and toasted garlic chips. Be careful the oil will be hot.

Thanks! Gotta get some garlic.

Carol
Debbie

Damsel wrote:
>> My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
>> night. I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What
>> variety are these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was
>> thinking of maybe slicing, oiling, and grilling.
>>
>> Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't
>> mind the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs
>> (never saw them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones
>> that are fast, fast, fast! This one is about a half inch long, and
>> very black. I don't routinely kill critters,

I'm not particularly fond of killing critters either. But.. I gotta tell
ya.. put a spider within a couple of feet of me... and it aint seeing
tomorrow!!! I don't care what kind it is. Arachnaphobia maybe??? lol

Debbie

Bob

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

> une deux catre cinq in the riber...and drowned. Me...counting in french
> age 5.

Did you really skip "trois" at that age?

Bob

pennyaline

notbob wrote:
> Here's my spider killer.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?F5A223D8B
>
> Use the long bernzOmatic bottles instead of the shorter Colman
> bottles. Lock the flame on and grab the base of bottle to get some
> reach. First, the legs go up like dry tinder, then they go "pop".
> Guaranteed death in nano-seconds.

That's okay, I guess, if you don't mind scorched and charred areas around
your home. Then again, some would prefer that to spiders any day.

<boiling spiders popping about the place... eeeewwwwwwww>

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Bob wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
>
> > une deux catre cinq in the riber...and drowned. Me...counting in
> > french age 5.

> Did you really skip "trois" at that age?
>
> Bob

yes

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

sf

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:44:20 -0500, Damsel wrote:

> "Nexis" > said:
>
> > Now about that squash...looks like a yellow squash to me. Similar in taste
> > and texture to a yellow crookneck squash. Great brushed with a flavored
> > olive oil or avocado oil, like blood orange or meyer lemon, then grilled.
> > Also works well for stirfry.

> I'm gonna slice and grill it. I only have regular olive oil, though.

Regular olive oil will be fine. Are you going to sprinkle a couple of
herbs on it?
sf

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:22:05 -0400, Debbie wrote:

> I'm not particularly fond of killing critters either. But.. I gotta tell
> ya.. put a spider within a couple of feet of me... and it aint seeing
> tomorrow!!! I don't care what kind it is. Arachnaphobia maybe??? lol

I have a pact with spiders... don't bother me and I won't bother you.
That means if they're discrete and build their webs behind my blinds
(which are always in the down postition) I'll leave them alone. If
they venture out into the room, they're history.
Sarah

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> "salgud" > said:
>
>> I think the spider'd be good cooked in bacon grease and pepper too!

> Well, THAT sent shockwaves through my system!
>
> Carol

Well at least everyone would get a leg!
Sarah

Damsel

"Sarah" > said:

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
> > "salgud" > said:
> >
> >> I think the spider'd be good cooked in bacon grease and pepper too!

> > Well, THAT sent shockwaves through my system!
> >
> > Carol

> Well at least everyone would get a leg!
> Sarah

That close brush with chicken pox damaged your brain!

Carol
Ophelia

"Sarah" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Damsel" > wrote in message
>> "salgud" > said:
>>
>>> I think the spider'd be good cooked in bacon grease and pepper too!

>> Well, THAT sent shockwaves through my system!
>>
>> Carol

> Well at least everyone would get a leg!
> Sarah

ROFL

Andy

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> I gotta tell you what I got my husband for a Father's Day present.
> It's a racquet, strung with wire and batteries in the handle. You
> take a swing at the annoying bug and ZAPPO!!! Bug Gone. Particularly
> handy for those darn moths that flutter around the lamps at night--and
> yellow jackets, and--oh, heck, real handy and a lot of darn fun.
> Janet

Janet,

Sounds like fun!

I forget where I heard this, but after you die and you're going through
a tunnel heading for the light, you soon realize your new incarnation as
a moth.

?

Andy
Rhonda Anderson

"Rick & Cyndi" > wrote in

> "Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
> . 5...
>> Julia Altshuler > wrote in
>> :
>>

>> http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
>> http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/funnelwb.html
>>
>> http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/
>>
>> The happy news of course is that since the development of antivenoms,
>> no deaths have occurred <g>. Plenty of redbacks in my yard, but I've
>> not seen any funnelwebs - possibly gets a bit too dry where I am.
>> Mind you, I always check the toes of my boots before putting them on.
>> I remember a news story some years ago where a bloke (living
>> somewhere in North Sydney, I think, where there are plenty of
>> funnelwebs) put his shoes on and travelled all the way to work before
>> being bitten by a funnelweb in the toe of his shoe.
>>
>> Of course, the majority of spiders are not lethal, but a couple of
>> species that will make you pretty sick, and could kill you, is enough
>> for me :-)
>>
>> Rhonda Anderson
>> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

> ==========
>
> Thanks for posting that Rhonda. Neat pictures.
>
> NOTE: Redbacks are known as "Black Widow" spiders in the states.

Glad you enjoyed them. If you like spider photos you should check out

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider2.htm

I discovered this site when I was trying to identify a spider in my yard.
Plenty of spider photos.

I did know that Black Widows were related to redbacks - I think they're
actually a separate species. The redbacks I don't mind so much as they're
not aggressive - I just need to be careful if working in the yard, and
picking things up. Also, the venom doesn't work super quickly so you have
plenty of time to get to the doctor.The funnelweb venom is much faster
acting.

Hey, redbacks even have their own song -
http://www.gonewalkabout.com/got/got_spider.htm

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

AlleyGator

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
>beat you to the punch with this:
>

>http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

>Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

>--Lia

Yep, thank goodness this one isn't a recluse and appears to be your
everday harmless one. We have BR's here a lot. They are VERY nasty,
and can seriously screw up your life. If it's got a fiddle, don't
piddle - kill the sucker fast.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
~patches~

AlleyGator wrote:

> Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>

>>Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
>>beat you to the punch with this:
>>

>>http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>>

>>Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>>

>>--Lia
>>

> Yep, thank goodness this one isn't a recluse and appears to be your
> everday harmless one. We have BR's here a lot. They are VERY nasty,
> and can seriously screw up your life. If it's got a fiddle, don't
> piddle - kill the sucker fast.

What's a fiddle in respect to spiders? If I see a spider I would
certainly be piddling while I'm running for cover! I'd just toss a
granade at the sucker. I don't care if they are outside but inside is a
whole other issue. The same goes for rodents. Now snakes whether they
are inside or outside just create havoc. I need a *huge nuclear* bomb
to deal with those suckers! Oh neat thing...DSIL showed me how to use
WD-40 on certain insects. Those things fry and leave me alone. It is
very effective on wasps nests. Right now I'm killing off box elder
bugs. Darn things are everywhere! We have daddy long legs too. I'd
like to move just because of these critters not to mention other
critters way bigger than spiders. Chocolate covered ants are quite
popular. I wonder if chocolate covered spiders would work?
> --
> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
> At least now I have an excuse.

AlleyGator

~patches~ > wrote:

>What's a fiddle in respect to spiders? If I see a spider I would
>certainly be piddling while I'm running for cover! I'd just toss a
>granade at the sucker. . . . . .

I understand - sometimes better to be safe than sorry. In case your
question was not rhetorical, the recluse is usually a light creamy tan
(not always) and has a dark brown fiddle-shaped marking on top of it.

>Chocolate covered ants are quite
>popular. I wonder if chocolate covered spiders would work?

Now that's just gross <G>

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

limey

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message >
> "limey" <
> <snip>>
>> Ugh. I hate crawlies. The vacuum idea sounds good, though - I usually
>> chase them down and bash them with a sledgehammer. We have a variety of
>> cricket that gives me the creeps. They *stare* at me (literally) and
>> can jump a mile high. I've found the only way to kill those suckers is
>> to drop a book on them from above (they can't look up, apparently).

> <SNORT> ROTFLMBO!! "...they can't look up, apparently"!! What a riot!
>
> Thank you! I needed that!
>
> Cyndi/Syssi

You're welcome! And you'd better believe it, those suckers stare. Also,
they're not flat on the ground like a regular cricket - they're raised up on
their little buggy legs and can jump up high and forward at the same time -
that's why I feel like a target. Got them fooled, though, with those heavy
books.

We've a variety of spiders but I don't have a clue which species they are -
it's a little hard to tell when I've squashed them flat.

Dora

Bob Myers

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Bob wrote on 03 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> >
> > > une deux catre cinq in the riber...and drowned. Me...counting in
> > > french age 5.

> > Did you really skip "trois" at that age?

Thou shalt counteth to the number of three, and three shall be
the number of thy counting. Thou shalt not counteth to four,
nor shalt thou count to two excepting that thou then
proceedeth onward to three. Five is right out...

Bob M.

Janet Bostwick

"~patches~" > wrote in message
snip
Right now I'm killing off box elder
> bugs. Darn things are everywhere! snip
>> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
>> At least now I have an excuse.

Mix a little liquid detergent with water in a spray bottle. Spray the
mixture onto the box elder bugs. Kills them right away.
Janet

~patches~

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> snip
> Right now I'm killing off box elder
>
>>bugs. Darn things are everywhere! snip
>>
>>>The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
>>>At least now I have an excuse.

> Mix a little liquid detergent with water in a spray bottle. Spray the
> mixture onto the box elder bugs. Kills them right away.
> Janet

Oh thankyou so much! I will give that a try. So far I tried RAID
spray, BugBGone, boiling water, flyswatter, cussing, and stomping.
Janet Bostwick

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>> snip
>> Right now I'm killing off box elder
>>
>>>bugs. Darn things are everywhere! snip

>> Mix a little liquid detergent with water in a spray bottle. Spray the
>> mixture onto the box elder bugs. Kills them right away.
>> Janet

> Oh thankyou so much! I will give that a try. So far I tried RAID spray,
> BugBGone, boiling water, flyswatter, cussing, and stomping.

You are very welcome--they are the most annoying things. Be sure to rake up
any grass or leaves around the base of the house as they seem to breed
there. Digging the area in spring that you think is the breeding area
seems to cut down on the population. Cursing and stomping doesn't seem to
work well. ;o{
Janet

ms. tonya

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
beat you to the punch with this:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
--Lia
LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
Not deadly, but gross.
And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
squash they are
Jill ------------------------------------------------------RESPONSE: ten
years ago on my birthday I was admitted to the hospital for a brown
recluse spider bite on my stomach. Doctors said if I had waited another
24 hours chances were good I would have died because I had become an
diabetic and didn't know till then.
The worst part of hospital stay was doctors coming in my room at 5am
couple of days later and using a scapel had to remove dead tissue from
bite area and taking samples which later learned they were looking for
eggs not knowing if spider was male or female.

-L.

serene wrote:

> Ick. This is reminding me of my stingray bite, which is not anything
> like a spider bite, but I too still have a scar that took a LONG time to
> heal. Years.
>
> serene

Ok, now you HAVE TO tell the story...

-L.
(who gets bitten by her snakes on a regular basis...)

serene

-L. > wrote:

> serene wrote:
> >
> > Ick. This is reminding me of my stingray bite, which is not anything
> > like a spider bite, but I too still have a scar that took a LONG time to
> > heal. Years.
> >
> > serene

> Ok, now you HAVE TO tell the story...

Not much of a story. I was apparently the 13th person that day to get
stung on that beach. The lifeguard said their daily average was around
30. It was the worst pain I had ever felt, and since then the only
thing that has beaten it was a spinal tap. (Being stabbed hurt a lot
less than either of these things.)

serene
-L.

serene wrote:

> Not much of a story. I was apparently the 13th person that day to get
> stung on that beach. The lifeguard said their daily average was around
> 30. It was the worst pain I had ever felt, and since then the only
> thing that has beaten it was a spinal tap. (Being stabbed hurt a lot
> less than either of these things.)
>
> serene

Oh, you said bite - I thought you meant bite as in with teeth.

I once was stung by a jellyfish in Galveston Bay, TX. THAT was
absolutely paralyzing. I was 10.

-L.

-L.

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
>

> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>

> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>

> --Lia

That is more likely the bite of a venomous snake - one with hemolytic
venom. The area affected is far too large for spider venom.

-L.

Rick & Cyndi

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
>> beat you to the punch with this:
>>

>> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
>>

>> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
>>

>> --Lia

> That is more likely the bite of a venomous snake - one with hemolytic
> venom. The area affected is far too large for spider venom.
>
> -L.
>===========

Maybe. Maybe not. I disagree though. There was a fellow that lived 30
minutes from us (when we stilled in Armpit, IL) that had a brown recluse
bite on his leg... his bite makes that hand picture look mild - he numerous
surgeries and I never heard if his leg eventually had to be amputated or
not... Brown Recluse bites can maim - big time!

Cyndi

~patches~

ms. tonya wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
> beat you to the punch with this:
> http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
> Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.
> --Lia
> LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
> They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
> don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
> who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
> Not deadly, but gross.
> And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
> brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
> Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
> squash they are
> Jill ------------------------------------------------------RESPONSE: ten
> years ago on my birthday I was admitted to the hospital for a brown
> recluse spider bite on my stomach. Doctors said if I had waited another
> 24 hours chances were good I would have died because I had become an
> diabetic and didn't know till then.
> The worst part of hospital stay was doctors coming in my room at 5am
> couple of days later and using a scapel had to remove dead tissue from
> bite area and taking samples which later learned they were looking for
> eggs not knowing if spider was male or female.

Ok this just happened after me going and visiting the site with the
horrid spider bite and the resulting nacrosis. I grabbed a towel out of
our little bath so I could dry my hair. Holding the towel facing me and
head down to pop it over my head, this huge (could be huger than it
really was but still a good 3/4" diameter) spider was lurking I damn
near sh*t myself being very paranoid over spiders. Once I started
breathing again and the heart was pumping, I had presence of mind to
stomp the living bejesus out of it and dump it into the toilet. DH was
pretty proud of my wonderful accomplishment that I left in the toilet
for him to see. Except, I hadn't stomped it enough it was still trying
to crawl out! Flush, flush, oh what a relief it is. That thing could
have been in my head biting its heart out. I'm pretty sure nacrosis in
the head would not be a very good thing.
Damsel

Bubbabob > said:

> Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
> spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
> All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
> rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
> them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
> the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
> because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
> bites.
>
> Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
> will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
> infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
> considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
> by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

I like living up north. Boy, do I appreciate living up north!

Carol
-L.

Bubbabob wrote:

> Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
> spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
> All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
> rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
> them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
> the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
> because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
> bites.
>
> Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
> will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
> infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
> considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
> by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

But that can be said of any compromise to the skin. Any
inscision/puncture/cut can become infected. The venom will cause
*some* tissue to die, but it isn't the venom that causes
infections/abscesses like what is shown in the photo - THAT is caused
by secondary infection, or cellulitis, etc. The spider bite
in-and-of-itself isn't that damaging. There simply isn't enough venom
to cause much damage.

-L.

Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> ~patches~ > wrote:

<snip>

> >> LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
> >> They are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
> >> don't care what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office
> >> who had a HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross.
> >> Not deadly, but gross.

> Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
> spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.

That's because the 'experts' call them 'Desert Recluse'. Apparently
quite similar in effect though.

> All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
> rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
> them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
> the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
> because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
> bites.
>
> Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
> will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
> infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
> considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
> by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

Arri London

Damsel wrote:

> Bubbabob > said:
>
> > Over the years, three friends of mine have been bitten by Brown Recluse
> > spiders here in Albuquerque, where the experts all swear they don't exist.
> > All three required necrotic excisions. The worst had to have a lump of
> > rotted flesh the size of a fist excised from her right buttock. I've seen
> > them in my house. They get killed on sight. I'm a little more generous to
> > the Black Widows (Albuquerque being the Black Widow capital of the world)
> > because the variety that lives here is very slow to anger and almost never
> > bites.
> >
> > Brown Recluses CAN kill you if you don't get medical treatment The abcess
> > will keep spreading and become a great site for opportunistic staph
> > infections. Since it isn't the toxin that kills you directly, they aren't
> > considered to be officially deadly but that's a moot point if you're bitten
> > by one out in the boonies and can't get to a hospital.

> I like living up north. Boy, do I appreciate living up north!
>
> Carol

Ah but we have other goodies too: Hantavirus, plague (yes that one),
West Nile virus, bears, coyotes and bobcats. And that's just in the
urban areas

But the green chiles almost make up for it. Crop is coming in now
yumyumyum.

Squash identification SaPeIsMa General Cooking 17 04-08-2010 01:54 AM
Bird Eating Spider? merryb General Cooking 45 05-11-2008 08:46 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 17-01-2007 12:35 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 06:20 AM
Eating spider-legs ????? Hans-Marc Olsen Diabetic 3 19-11-2004 05:11 AM