FoodBanter.com

-   -   Blueberries (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/66804-blueberries.html)

kalanamak 03-08-2005 02:35 AM

dwacon wrote:
> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

We've been mashing them lightly and mixing with barely sweetened whole
milk yougurt and freezing them in popcicle forms. Baby eats these, oops,
kiddo eats these and calls them "ice cream". They are very refreshing
on a hot evening.
blacksalt
kiddo is talking in full sentences and has definite opinions about food
(broccoli, tofu, saltiness, yougurt, noodles, carrots and all fruit
good, nearly anything else bad)

dwacon 03-08-2005 03:51 AM

Blueberries

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

Wayne Boatwright 03-08-2005 04:16 AM

On Tue 02 Aug 2005 07:51:13p, dwacon wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to
> do with them?

On cereal, in pies, buckles, crisps, jelly, jam, blueberry vinegar.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0531-1, 08/02/2005
Tested on: 8/2/2005 8:11:03 PM

Dee Randall 03-08-2005 04:18 AM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 02 Aug 2005 07:51:13p, dwacon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to
>> do with them?

> On cereal, in pies, buckles, crisps, jelly, jam, blueberry vinegar.

> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Freeze some; serve them for breakfast frozen with some especially good
yogurt, some toasted oats (or musli) and especially good honey.
Let it set a little bit for the oats to soften, and the yogurt to get
colder from the frozen berries.
I never want to be without frozen blueberries in my freezer.
Dee Dee

Brian Huntley 03-08-2005 04:18 AM

dwacon wrote:
> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

Grunt.

http://www.lanierbb.com/recipes/data/bk589.html

witchiepoo 03-08-2005 04:48 AM

It's terribly tempting to stock up on them - they're just so gorgeous
and yummy right now - and they do freeze nicely. Know what, though?
You can just buy them already frozen, probably for less than what you'd
pay for fresh, and the brands I've bought frozen have all been
perfectly fine. I think they're $2.99 or less for a one lb. bag, and
I'm all for letting someone else do the work.

serene 03-08-2005 06:04 AM

dwacon > wrote:

> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

Blueberry sauce -- blueberries, water, sugar, and some people add a
splash of liqueur, but I don't. Yummy.

serene

S'mee [AKA Jani] 03-08-2005 06:24 AM

One time on Usenet, " dwacon" > said:

> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

Lovely neighbor lady gave us this recipe. She made them for us once
and Miguel (DH) made a batch recently. They're wonderful!:

Blueberry Muffins

You will need foil muffin cups for this recipe. Bake on a cookie
sheet at 375° F for 20-25 minutes.

2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. melted butter (cooled)
2 eggs
1 1/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. milk
2 - 2 1/2 C. blueberries

Mix first 3 listed dry ingredients in bowl. In separate bowl,
mix sugar and eggs, then add milk. Add to dry ingredients, mix
until all ingredients are combines, then add blueberries. Use
extra 2 T. of flour if using frozen blueberries. Fill muffin
cups to the top. Sprinkle top with sugar before baking.

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

Alexis 03-08-2005 06:31 AM

dwacon wrote:
> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

In addition to everything offered here -- pancakes. Blueberry pancakes
with frozen blueberries in the winter are okay. Blueberry pancakes
with fresh pancakes in August are... they are... oh-my-goodness-divine.
The blueberries *pop* when they're prepared from fresh in a way that
never happens when they're prepared from frozen.

I only freeze fresh berries when I pick them myself (raspberries last
week, this week, and next. Blueberries hopefully next week and the
following couple).

Eat the fresh berries now, as many as you can in as many ways as you
can until you can eat berries no longer. Eat'em plain by the handful.
Their season is fleeting, so be not coy and gather ye berries while ye
may...

Sorry. I might have gone just a tad over the top there. I enjoy a
good berry.

Alexis.

-L. 03-08-2005 08:18 AM

dwacon wrote:
> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

A handful or two in cornbread batter.

-L.

Dimitri 03-08-2005 05:59 PM

" dwacon" > wrote in message
> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but what to do
> with them?

Muffins,
Pancakes
Waffles
Over Ice Cream
Make a Pie
Make a cobbler
Make a quick bread
Eat them plain with a little heavy cream
Eat them plain with a little whipped cream
Make a parfait.
Use them as the fruit to stuff a pork chop (never done it but it should be OK)
Use them on breakfast cereal hot or cold
Put them is a custard
How about a bread pudding with Blueberries
Chocolate blueberry cheesecake
Regular blueberry cheesecake

Dimitri

Bob Myers 03-08-2005 07:19 PM

"serene" > wrote in message
. ..

> Blueberry sauce -- blueberries, water, sugar, and some people add a
> splash of liqueur, but I don't. Yummy.

Oh, damn...now we're going to get into an endless
argument about why this is or is not a "sauce"...

Bob M.

serene 03-08-2005 09:26 PM

Bob Myers > wrote:

> "serene" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> > Blueberry sauce -- blueberries, water, sugar, and some people add a
> > splash of liqueur, but I don't. Yummy.

> Oh, damn...now we're going to get into an endless
> argument about why this is or is not a "sauce"...

*giggle* I like you people just fine, but anyone who wants to argue
that will just have to do it without me. Feel free to call it something
else. It'll still be yummy.

serene

Tara 03-08-2005 11:04 PM

smoothies
mix with yogurt, top with granola or Kashi cereal
make a compote to top pancakes or waffles

Tara

Bob 04-08-2005 01:12 AM

dwacon wrote about blueberries:

> They are on sale... two cartons for $5 -- so I'm stocking up but
> what to do with them?

Sometime poster Dragon (who attended one of the San Diego cook-ins a couple
years ago) wrote this to an e-mail list:

Anyway, here are a couple of recipes for some yummy blueberry treats:

Blueberry sorbet:

1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup vanilla sugar
1/2 cup strawberry jelly or jam
1/2 cup blueberry jelly or jam
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pinch salt
Water

If you do not have vanilla sugar, just use plain granulated sugar and 1/4
teaspoon vanilla extract. Place the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, jelly,
salt and about 1 cup water in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add enough
water to bring the volume to 5 cups. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the
refrigerator. Process in ice cream maker for about 30 minutes or until it
has set up well. Freeze at least four hours.

Blueberry ice cream:

1 pint whipping cream
1 pint whole milk
1 pint fresh blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 blades mace (whole)
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
Pinch salt

Put all ingredients except the blueberries into a sauce pot. Heat until it
just begins to boil and then back off to a bare simmer. Crush the
blueberries lightly with a wooden spoon or a potato masher then add to the
hot cream mixture. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and
cool to room temperature. Chill overnight in the refrigerator. Process in
ice cream maker until set (about 30 to 40 minutes). Freeze at least four
hours.

Serve with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses.

I tried the sorbet recipe, and it's very good.

Bob

dwacon 04-08-2005 02:53 AM

"Tara" > wrote in message

> smoothies

Got a smoothy recipe?

I tried blending some berries with OJ and ice and it tasted good but looked
like... well, we won't go there. Obviously not an orange julius -- I missed
something.

Note: I got the idea from the magic bullet commercial, but I used a
conventional Oster blender...

----
She wondered, "what is he chewing on?"
And suddenly, she realized...
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

serene 04-08-2005 03:16 AM

dwacon > wrote:

> "Tara" > wrote in message
>
> > smoothies

> Got a smoothy recipe?

My favorite is to throw a cup or two of liquid (juice, soymilk, regular
milk, whatever) and a banana in the blender, then toss in one chunk of
frozen fruit/berry at a time until the mixture is of the proper
consistency. It's lovely, and the banana is essential for the texture,
to me.

serene

Tara 05-08-2005 02:33 AM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:53:07 -0400, " dwacon"
> wrote:

>"Tara" > wrote in message
.. .

>> smoothies

>Got a smoothy recipe?

I just dump everything together when I make a smoothie, so I'm not to
sure about the measurements, but I'm thinking it's maybe a cup of
frozen berries and a frozen banana if I have one with about a cup of
yogurt and half a cup of milk plus a little sugar or sweetener to
taste. If you use your fresh berries, you might want to add some ice.
I lived for berry smoothies when I was pregnant last summer.

Tara