FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lookin for summer squash recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/66794-lookin-summer-squash-recipes.html)

pat 02-08-2005 11:37 PM

Lookin for summer squash recipes

Hello

Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them lookin for
other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks

limey 03-08-2005 12:50 AM

"pat" wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them lookin
> for
> other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks

Here's my favorite, which I have made many times:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Squash Casserole

Recipe By :Posted by Dora

2 pounds squash
1/4 cup onion -- chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
8 ounces Pepperidge Farm dressing
1 stick butter -- melted
1 medium carrot -- grated
1 tablespoon pimiento -- chopped
salt and pepper

Cut squash into 1" rings and cook in salted water, with onion, until tender.
Drain thoroughly. Mash, then add cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Mix
well.

Separately mix dressing and melted butter.

Grease a 9" x 9" pan or 2 1/2-quart glass dish. Beginning with dressing
mixture, layer with squash mixture, alternating until all is used, ending
with dressing mixture.

Bake at 350ºF. for 9" square pan, or 325ºF. for 2-1/2 quart glass dish, for
25 - 30 minutes.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"From my good friend Marie Schweizer"

Dora

jmcquown 03-08-2005 01:22 AM

pat wrote:
> Hello
>
> Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them
> lookin for other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks

Tried and true!

Squash Casserole (may be doubled)

2 c. sliced yellow (crookneck) squash
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. cornbread stuffing crumbs
1 c. milk
1 small minced onion
1 Tbs. butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients. Place in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350F
for 1 hour until set and golden brown on top. If using fresh leftover
cornbread for stuffing, cut the liquid slightly.

Jill

serene 03-08-2005 05:46 AM

pat > wrote:

> Hello
>
> Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them lookin for
> other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks

Not exactly a casserole, but I saute potatoes onions and kielbasa (or
other smoked sausage) with some oil/butter and salt&pepper until the
potatoes are almost done, and then add cubed summer squash and cook
another 5 or 10 minutes. yummy.

serene

Kate Connally 03-08-2005 04:26 PM

pat wrote:

> Hello
>
> Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them lookin for
> other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks

I don't have a recipe per se but I like to take zucchini
and yellow squash, red bell peppers, canned diced tomatoes
(it's too hard to find really good vine-ripened tomatoes even
in the summer without getting up early and traipsing to the
farmer's market and even then they're not necessary vine-
ripened enough for me - the farmers say that if they pick
them that ripe then if they don't sell them they are lost
because they don't last long enough to do something else
with them - I got the same excuse about the peaches), some
Italian-type herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc. - whatever
you like). Cut everything up and toss in a large skillet
and pour on the tomatoes, sprinkle with the herbs and salt
and pepper to taste and cook until done. I serve it over
rice. I call it my summer vegetable stew as I only make it
in the summer. It's also good with some Italian sausage
cut up and browned in the skillet before you add the rest
of the stuff.

Kate

Kate Connally 03-08-2005 04:31 PM

Kate Connally wrote:

> pat wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Seems I have a ton of Summer squash...Iv boiled them and fry them lookin for
> > other recipes maybe some cassrole dishes??? thanks
> >

> I don't have a recipe per se but I like to take zucchini
> and yellow squash, red bell peppers, canned diced tomatoes
> (it's too hard to find really good vine-ripened tomatoes even
> in the summer without getting up early and traipsing to the
> farmer's market and even then they're not necessary vine-
> ripened enough for me - the farmers say that if they pick
> them that ripe then if they don't sell them they are lost
> because they don't last long enough to do something else
> with them - I got the same excuse about the peaches), some
> Italian-type herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc. - whatever
> you like). Cut everything up and toss in a large skillet
> and pour on the tomatoes, sprinkle with the herbs and salt
> and pepper to taste and cook until done. I serve it over
> rice. I call it my summer vegetable stew as I only make it
> in the summer. It's also good with some Italian sausage
> cut up and browned in the skillet before you add the rest
> of the stuff.
>
> Kate

Oops, I forgot onion and garlic!

Kate