Curly Sue

Default Another use for the Polder thermometer

When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
boil.

This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!

Sue(tm)
Sheldon

Curly Sue wrote:
> When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
> butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
> clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
> alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
> off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
> boil.
>
> This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!
>
> Sue(tm)

Why do you scald milk... are you using raw milk... since the advent of
pasteurization there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Sheldon

Peter Aitken

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
> butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
> clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
> alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
> off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
> boil.
>
> This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!

You *do* know that scalding milk is a waste of time for most uses?

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 31 Jul 2005 01:09:05p, Curly Sue wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
> butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
> clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
> alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
> off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
> boil.
>
> This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

LOL! You need a stool by the stove.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/31/2005 3:52:23 PM

Curly Sue

On 31 Jul 2005 14:57:40 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
>> butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
>> clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
>> alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
>> off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
>> boil.
>>
>> This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!
>>
>> Sue(tm)

>Why do you scald milk... are you using raw milk... since the advent of
>pasteurization there is absolutely no reason to do so.

I'm making yogurt. For some reason the instructions with the culture
says to heat the milk to 180 then cool it to around 110 deg F.

Other than that, when I make custard I scald the milk because I like
the flavor.

Sue(tm)

TammyM

On 1 Aug 2005 00:57:15 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 31 Jul 2005 01:09:05p, Curly Sue wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> When I scald milk I fasten the probe to the side of the pan with a
>> butterfly clip so it's in the liquid (I believe I saw how to use a
>> clip used like that for a thermometer on Alton Brown), then I set the
>> alarm for 188-190 degrees F and turn on the heat. Once the alarm goes
>> off, it's only a couple of minutes until the milk gets to the simmer
>> boil.
>>
>> This way, I can walk away and not have to stand there for 10 min!
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
>>

>LOL! You need a stool by the stove.

Yabbut who wants to babysit a pot of milk (or whatever) for 10 minutes
when you can accomplish something else and the Polder can alert you
when it's done? Not me... I'll babysit a batch o' fudge or risotto,
but not a pot of milk :-)

TammyM