Old 31-07-2005, 07:00 PM
serene

Default Tequila-lime shrimp (or other tequila recipes)?

A cow-irker went to Mexico and brought me back a small bottle of
tequila. I don't drink, and no one in my family likes tequila. The only
thing I've ever eaten with tequila in it was a tequila-lime shrimp at
(don't laugh) TGI Friday's that I actually liked (which is weird because
I don't generally like food cooked with alcohol).

Anyone have a recipe for this, or some other yummy non-beverage way for
me to use this tequila? I'd like to take some of it to the cow-irker as
a return gift (if it's good, of course -- if it's a failure, I'll just
make him some toffee).

serene

Old 31-07-2005, 07:25 PM
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:00:46 -0700, serene wrote:

A cow-irker went to Mexico and brought me back a small bottle of
tequila. I don't drink, and no one in my family likes tequila. The only
thing I've ever eaten with tequila in it was a tequila-lime shrimp at
(don't laugh) TGI Friday's that I actually liked (which is weird because
I don't generally like food cooked with alcohol).

Anyone have a recipe for this, or some other yummy non-beverage way for
me to use this tequila? I'd like to take some of it to the cow-irker as
a return gift (if it's good, of course -- if it's a failure, I'll just
make him some toffee).

I've never had it, so I don't know what it's like. Recipes seem to
vary quite a bit. Could you take this one and alter it?

http://home.ivillage.com/cooking/rec...,,gd8r,00.html

I'd use cilantro instead of watercress for starters
Old 31-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

serene wrote on 31 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

A cow-irker went to Mexico and brought me back a small bottle of
tequila. I don't drink, and no one in my family likes tequila.
The only thing I've ever eaten with tequila in it was a
tequila-lime shrimp at (don't laugh) TGI Friday's that I actually
liked (which is weird because I don't generally like food cooked
with alcohol).

Anyone have a recipe for this, or some other yummy non-beverage
way for me to use this tequila? I'd like to take some of it to the
cow-irker as a return gift (if it's good, of course -- if it's a
failure, I'll just make him some toffee).

serene

Anywhere you see a Jack Daniels Sauce recipe or Vodka pasta sauce
recipe. (Once again google is your friend). I like to marenade chicken
with it. Or use it with caramelized sugar as a cake or ice cream
topping.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Old 31-07-2005, 07:32 PM
aem

serene wrote:
[snip]
Anyone have a recipe for this, or some other yummy non-beverage way for
me to use this tequila? I'd like to take some of it to the cow-irker as
a return gift (if it's good, of course -- if it's a failure, I'll just
make him some toffee).

I don't know about taking it to your friend, but I make a thing I call
"Margarita Chicken":

Brown 2.5 lbs of seasoned chicken pieces in oil, drain excess oil from
pan.
Pour about 2 TB Triple Sec or Grand Marnier into skillet and flame
(keep lid handy in case you need to extinguish it).
When flaming is done, add about 1/4 cup tequila and the juice of two
limes.
Add garlic to your taste.
Lower heat, partially cover, simmer till done.
Remove chicken, deglaze pan with a little chicken stock to make pan
gravy.
Usually serve it with rice. -aem

Old 31-07-2005, 07:50 PM
cathyxyz

serene wrote:
A cow-irker went to Mexico and brought me back a small bottle of
tequila. I don't drink, and no one in my family likes tequila. The only
thing I've ever eaten with tequila in it was a tequila-lime shrimp at
(don't laugh) TGI Friday's that I actually liked (which is weird because
I don't generally like food cooked with alcohol).

Anyone have a recipe for this, or some other yummy non-beverage way for
me to use this tequila? I'd like to take some of it to the cow-irker as
a return gift (if it's good, of course -- if it's a failure, I'll just
make him some toffee).

serene

Think this is the one?? (maybe). I hate tequila under any other
circumstances, but this is good.

Tequila Shrimp

4 oz butter
1 tbsp diced onions
2 oz tequila
32 large shrimp peeled and deveined
12 to 14 oz heavy cream
Juice from one whole lime
Pinch each of salt and white pepper
Splash of tequila to finish

Saute onions in butter lightly and add shrimp. Continue to saute until
shrimp lose their pink color. Flame with the tequila. Add the heavy
cream and reduce the sauce over medium heat. The sauce should boil
lightly and begin to thicken a little. Add seasoning and lime juice with
a splash of tequila to finish.

Cheers
Cathy

Old 31-07-2005, 08:01 PM
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

Old 31-07-2005, 08:04 PM
kilikini

"cathyxyz" wrote in message
news
serene wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Cathy, recipe saved for future use.

kili

Old 31-07-2005, 08:08 PM
kilikini

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

Patron, Patron! Gold or silver? I prefer the silver, I think.

kili

Old 31-07-2005, 09:24 PM
cathyxyz

sf wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

I doubt it Had a rather bad experience with tequila in my "younger
days" and that put me off it for life. Worst hang-over I've ever had!
Cheers
Cathy
Old 31-07-2005, 09:35 PM
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:08:27 GMT, kilikini wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

Patron, Patron! Gold or silver? I prefer the silver, I think.

I *think* it's silver too.
http://www.tequila-stuff.com/tequila/tequila.asp

Old 31-07-2005, 10:30 PM
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:24:22 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

sf wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

I doubt it Had a rather bad experience with tequila in my "younger
days" and that put me off it for life. Worst hang-over I've ever had!

That'll do it!

If you're ever in the mood to try again, Patron is a fairly expensive
"sipping" tequlia which you will not want to waste getting sh*t-faced
drunk.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:48 AM
serene

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

(Once again google is your friend).

I know how to google. I also know that a tried-and-true recipe from
someone whose opinion about food I trust is MUCH better than some random
google link. Wouldn't you agree?

serene
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Sandi

sf wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

I doubt it Had a rather bad experience with tequila in my "younger
days" and that put me off it for life. Worst hang-over I've ever had!

That'll do it!

If you're ever in the mood to try again, Patron is a fairly expensive
"sipping" tequlia which you will not want to waste getting sh*t-faced
drunk.

We like Tequila Corralejo for sipping. We found a triple distiled.
Numbered certified bottles with the cask number out of which the
tequila came. The bottle is cool to. :-) It's blue glass, flat circular
with a depressed center and corked, not a screw top.

Sandi

Old 01-08-2005, 08:21 PM
MareCat

"kilikini" wrote in message
. ..

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:50:07 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

I hate tequila under any other circumstances, but this is good.

Ever tried Patron? It'll change your mind.

Patron, Patron! Gold or silver? I prefer the silver, I think.

I prefer the silver, too!

I'm not big on sipping tequilas, but I do love 'ritas.

Mary