*JimH*

Default I missed the 'cooking chicken on the gas grill spit' posts.........

.......sorry if this a repeat question:

We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using a
an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
grill.

Any suggestions on:

1. Cooking instructions.

2. Seasoning suggestions.

Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

Sheldon

*JimH* wrote:
> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>
> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using a
> an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
> grill.
>
> Any suggestions on:
>
> 1. Cooking instructions.

Most grills require removal of the cooking grate when using
rotisserie... be sure ther eare no obstructions

Use low indirect heat.

Be sure to properly balance food on the spit, and never ever leave an
operating rotisserie unattended.

> 2. Seasoning suggestions.

Whatever you like. I like Penzeys Adobo.

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski

"*JimH*" > wrote in message
> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>
> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using
> a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
> grill.
>
> Any suggestions on:
>
> 1. Cooking instructions.
>
> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

Truss them up on the spit well. As they cook, they tend to loosen. Does the
spit come with a weight to act as a counter balance? If so, try to get it
as even as possible to lessen the load on the motor. Be sure the spit turns
freely and nothing hits.

I also have an infra-red burner. I start it on high and reduce it after
about 30 minutes. A Perdue oven stuffer takes about 90 minutes to cook.
Smaller birds about 60 to 75.

I put a pan under the bird to catch the drippings. Put a tad of water in it
to keep it from drying out and then you can make a gravy or use the dripping
in a stock as you see fit.

Season as you would a roasted chicken. Usually some salt, pepper, garlic,
whatever. You can use commercial grilling seasonings also, like McCormick
Grill Mates. If you want bbq sauce, put that on for just the last 10
minutes or so.

After the chicks are done, I turn off the heat and let them spin another
five minutes, then let them rest on a platter for about 15 before cutting.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

sf

On 30 Jul 2005 19:28:15 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Most grills require removal of the cooking grate when using
> rotisserie...

Thanks for the heads up... I still haven't read the instruction manual
of my "newish" Cheap Ass gas BBQ (how hard is it to turn on the gas?)
and adding a rotisserie attachment is in mind for the future (End of
Summer Sales are coming soon). Did I sound like a real man's man?

Not having any experience of any sort with rotisserie cooking, I would
have left the grill grates in the BBQ and regulated the heat by
selecting which burners to turn on. It was a non-issue to this point
because I was totally ignorant on the subject. So, thanks to both of
you for the information. Now I know I should (find and) consult the
manual after I buy a rotisserie.

LOL!
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:40:07 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Truss them up on the spit well.

You are soooo kinky!

Stan Horwitz

In article >, "*JimH*" >
wrote:

> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>
> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using a
> an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
> grill.
>
> Any suggestions on:
>
> 1. Cooking instructions.
>
> 2. Seasoning suggestions.

For future reference, I want to point out that Google is your friend.
You can locate cooking directions easily via Google. The company who
made your barbecue grill might even have a web site with cooking
information on it. You can also go to http://groups.google.com and look
up previously posted articles in this newsgroup and many others.
*JimH*

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, "*JimH*" >
> wrote:
>
>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>
>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using
>> an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
>> grill.
>>
>> Any suggestions on:
>>
>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>
>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.

> For future reference, I want to point out that Google is your friend.
> You can locate cooking directions easily via Google. The company who
> made your barbecue grill might even have a web site with cooking
> information on it. You can also go to http://groups.google.com and look
> up previously posted articles in this newsgroup and many others.

Thanks to all for the advice, most especially Edwin. ;-)

Stan, I do not need a lecture on how to use google. If my question bothered
you all you had to do was ignore it.

*JimH*

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "*JimH*" > wrote in message
>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>
>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using
>> a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
>> grill.
>>
>> Any suggestions on:
>>
>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>
>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

> Truss them up on the spit well.

Would this be appropriate?

http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg

;-)

Ophelia

"*JimH*" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "*JimH*" > wrote in message
>>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>>
>>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill
>>> using a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker
>>> option on the grill.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on:
>>>
>>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>>
>>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

>> Truss them up on the spit well.

> Would this be appropriate?
>
> http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg
>
> ;-)

>LOL

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:40:16 -0400, *JimH* wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > Truss them up on the spit well.

> Would this be appropriate?
>
> http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg

LOL! How did you find that picture?

*JimH*

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:40:16 -0400, *JimH* wrote:
>

>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >
>> > Truss them up on the spit well.

>> Would this be appropriate?
>>
>> http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg
>>

> LOL! How did you find that picture?

Just googled 'chicken in clothing picture'. I bet Stan is proud of me. ;-)

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:47:58 -0400, *JimH* wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:40:16 -0400, *JimH* wrote:
> >

> >> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> >> Would this be appropriate?
> >>
> >> http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg
> >>

> > LOL! How did you find that picture?

> Just googled 'chicken in clothing picture'. I bet Stan is proud of me. ;-)

If he's not, I certainly am. That was great! I'm still laughing.

TammyM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:37:46 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:40:07 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Truss them up on the spit well.

>You are soooo kinky!

I have this naughty image of little handcuffed chooks ....

;-)

TammyM
TammyM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:40:16 -0400, "*JimH*" > wrote:

>"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "*JimH*" > wrote in message
>>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>>
>>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using
>>> a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
>>> grill.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on:
>>>
>>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>>
>>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

>> Truss them up on the spit well.

>Would this be appropriate?
>
>http://cellar.org/2005/chickenclothing.jpg
>
>;-)

That's ... that's .... POULTRY ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! Call PETA! (maybe
pita would be better....)

TammyM
*JimH*

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "*JimH*" > wrote in message
>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>
>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill using
>> a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option on the
>> grill.
>>
>> Any suggestions on:
>>
>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>
>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

> Truss them up on the spit well. As they cook, they tend to loosen. Does
> the spit come with a weight to act as a counter balance? If so, try to
> get it as even as possible to lessen the load on the motor. Be sure the
> spit turns freely and nothing hits.
>
> I also have an infra-red burner. I start it on high and reduce it after
> about 30 minutes. A Perdue oven stuffer takes about 90 minutes to cook.
> Smaller birds about 60 to 75.
>
> I put a pan under the bird to catch the drippings. Put a tad of water in
> it to keep it from drying out and then you can make a gravy or use the
> dripping in a stock as you see fit.
>
> Season as you would a roasted chicken. Usually some salt, pepper, garlic,
> whatever. You can use commercial grilling seasonings also, like McCormick
> Grill Mates. If you want bbq sauce, put that on for just the last 10
> minutes or so.
>
> After the chicks are done, I turn off the heat and let them spin another
> five minutes, then let them rest on a platter for about 15 before cutting.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thank you for your expert advice Edwin. I cooked the chickens this week
following you directions and they turned out excellent.

We spend a whole $6.50 for a chickens weighing in at 9 pounds and ended up
with 2 nights worth of dinner.

Thank you.

*JimH*

"*JimH*" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "*JimH*" > wrote in message
>>> ......sorry if this a repeat question:
>>>
>>> We plan to cook 2 medium size chickens outside on our new gas grill
>>> using a an electric rotating skewer/spit and the infra red cooker option
>>> on the grill.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on:
>>>
>>> 1. Cooking instructions.
>>>
>>> 2. Seasoning suggestions.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance folks. You have always been very helpful. :-)

>> Truss them up on the spit well. As they cook, they tend to loosen. Does
>> the spit come with a weight to act as a counter balance? If so, try to
>> get it as even as possible to lessen the load on the motor. Be sure the
>> spit turns freely and nothing hits.
>>
>> I also have an infra-red burner. I start it on high and reduce it after
>> about 30 minutes. A Perdue oven stuffer takes about 90 minutes to cook.
>> Smaller birds about 60 to 75.
>>
>> I put a pan under the bird to catch the drippings. Put a tad of water in
>> it to keep it from drying out and then you can make a gravy or use the
>> dripping in a stock as you see fit.
>>
>> Season as you would a roasted chicken. Usually some salt, pepper,
>> garlic, whatever. You can use commercial grilling seasonings also, like
>> McCormick Grill Mates. If you want bbq sauce, put that on for just the
>> last 10 minutes or so.
>>
>> After the chicks are done, I turn off the heat and let them spin another
>> five minutes, then let them rest on a platter for about 15 before
>> cutting.
>> --
>> Ed
>> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
>>

> Thank you for your expert advice Edwin. I cooked the chickens this week
> following you directions and they turned out excellent.
>
> We spend a whole $6.50 for 2 chickens weighing in at 9 pounds and ended up
> with 2 nights worth of dinner.
>
> Thank you.

edit

Edwin Pawlowski

"*JimH*" > wrote in message
> Thank you for your expert advice Edwin. I cooked the chickens this week
> following you directions and they turned out excellent.
>
> We spend a whole $6.50 for a chickens weighing in at 9 pounds and ended up
> with 2 nights worth of dinner.
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome. We often use the Perdue oven stuffers. One of the best
values around. We get a dinner, couple of lunches, a pot pie, all for about
$7.