Yeff

Default How to be stupid:

- Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.

- See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.

- Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.

- Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.

- Drink Gatorade, eat peas.

- Rub your right eye that's itching.

- Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.

--

-Jeff B. (freaked out, screaming like a girl, blind in one eye.)
yeff at erols dot com
BOB

Yeff wrote:
> - Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.
>
> - See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.
>
> - Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.
>
> - Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.
>
> - Drink Gatorade, eat peas.
>
> - Rub your right eye that's itching.
>
> - Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B. (freaked out, screaming like a girl, blind in one eye.)
> yeff at erols dot com

Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

The Ranger

Yeff > through great pain but in fantastic humor posted
message ...
> - Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.
>
> - See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.
>
> - Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.
>
> - Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.
>
> - Drink Gatorade, eat peas.
>
> - Rub your right eye that's itching.
>
> - Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.
>
> -Jeff B. (freaked out, screaming like a girl, blind in one eye.)

BTDT (with those damned wasabi pea-stained fingers); I survived -- though I
doubted I would view the world through my 20/40 eye-sight later. Thanks for
the laugh -- at your expense. Remember Bausch and Lomb eye drops on your
next screaming-run.

The Ranger

Nancy Young

Yeff wrote:

> - Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.
>
> - See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.
>
> - Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.
>
> - Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.
>
> - Drink Gatorade, eat peas.
>
> - Rub your right eye that's itching.
>
> - Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.

Yeff, I had to say, thank you for that hilarious story. Too friggin
funny.

I keep watching for cicadas, nothing yet, but I'm still terrified.
One got into my hair once and started buzzing away. I almost ran
into traffic trying to get away from it.

Screaming like a girl.

nancy
sf

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:52:53 -0400, " BOB"
> wrote:

> Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

Cicadas are insects, shrimp are a decapod crustacean.

http://abbot.si.edu/highlight/cicadas/

Q. What are the higher level taxonomic classifications for
the three cicada species expected in Brood 10?

A. Well first, taxonomy, or "taxonomic classification," is
the orderly classification of living things based on seven
major zoological categories or levels in hierarchical order
as Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and
Species. The higher level taxonomies for the three Brood X
species a

Animalia
Arthropoda
Insecta
Homoptera
Cicadidae
Magicicada septendecim
Magicicada cassini
Magicicada septendecula

Perhaps you have cicadas mixed up with pillbugs.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...acostraca.html

http://insected.arizona.edu/isoinfo.htm
Phylum, Arthropoda; Class, Malacostraca; Order, Isopoda

PENMART01

BOB" > wrote:

>> Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

>Cicadas are insects, shrimp are a decapod crustacean.

http://abbot.si.edu/highlight/cicadas/

>Q. What are the higher level taxonomic classifications for
>the three cicada species expected in Brood 10?
>
>A. Well first, taxonomy, or "taxonomic classification," is
>the orderly classification of living things based on seven
>major zoological categories or levels in hierarchical order
>as Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and
>Species. The higher level taxonomies for the three Brood X
>species a
>
>Animalia
> Arthropoda
> Insecta
> Homoptera
> Cicadidae
> Magicicada septendecim
> Magicicada cassini
> Magicicada septendecula

Those lowest three must be the 'talians; Guido, Carmine, and Strunz.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:52:53 -0400, " BOB"
> > wrote:
>

> > Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

> Cicadas are insects, shrimp are a decapod crustacean.

But they are all still arthropods... ;-)

Did you know that the army calls Grasshoppers "brush shrimp"?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
(PENMART01) wrote:

> >sf

> BOB" > wrote:
> >

> >> Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

> >Cicadas are insects, shrimp are a decapod crustacean.

http://abbot.si.edu/highlight/cicadas/

> >Q. What are the higher level taxonomic classifications for
> >the three cicada species expected in Brood 10?
> >
> >A. Well first, taxonomy, or "taxonomic classification," is
> >the orderly classification of living things based on seven
> >major zoological categories or levels in hierarchical order
> >as Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and
> >Species. The higher level taxonomies for the three Brood X
> >species a
> >
> >Animalia
> > Arthropoda
> > Insecta
> > Homoptera
> > Cicadidae
> > Magicicada septendecim
> > Magicicada cassini
> > Magicicada septendecula

> Those lowest three must be the 'talians; Guido, Carmine, and Strunz.

No, Larry, Curly, and Sheldon..... <lol>

<hugs>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Yeff

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:35:50 -0500, Katra wrote:

> Did you know that the army calls Grasshoppers "brush shrimp"?

Just don't eat the legs. They'll kick your ass on the way out.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Yeff

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:09:55 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> I keep watching for cicadas, nothing yet, but I'm still terrified.
> One got into my hair once and started buzzing away. I almost ran
> into traffic trying to get away from it.
>
> Screaming like a girl.

I've decided that the screaming helps. Nothing else does save moving to
the west coast (and that'll never happen).

Apparently, every flight path the cicadas take lead directly to Yeff. I,
too, almost walked out into traffic trying to avoid a red-eyed monster
flying right at me.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

CindyC

I was traumatized as a child by the very same incident. They are
unbelievable here in Harford County Maryland right now! I'm going to the
boat to get away from them...they sure don't swim!
Cindy

--
to email me change nospam to cindychaney
"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:09:55 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I keep watching for cicadas, nothing yet, but I'm still terrified.
> > One got into my hair once and started buzzing away. I almost ran
> > into traffic trying to get away from it.
> >
> > Screaming like a girl.

> I've decided that the screaming helps. Nothing else does save moving to
> the west coast (and that'll never happen).
>
> Apparently, every flight path the cicadas take lead directly to Yeff. I,
> too, almost walked out into traffic trying to avoid a red-eyed monster
> flying right at me.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B.
> yeff at erols dot com

Yeff

On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:13:04 -0400, CindyC wrote:

> They are unbelievable here in Harford County Maryland right now!

You're in Harford County? Where at? I grew up in Edgewood and graduated
from Joppatowne High School. I'm now up in Cecil County in Perryville.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
sf

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:35:50 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

> Did you know that the army calls Grasshoppers "brush shrimp"?
>
> K.

I'm old enough to have had grandparents who actually bought
things like fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants.
I was a kid, so I didn't have the gross out factor fully in
place at the time.

Grasshoppers were sort of like eating those fried green
seeds (the name escapes me at the moment - a mexican pumpkin
seed?) - very crispy and hollow.

BTW: I never could find an ant in those chocolates, no
matter how tiny my bites were.

sf

On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:44:31 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

> BTDT (with those damned wasabi pea-stained fingers); I survived -- though I
> doubted I would view the world through my 20/40 eye-sight later. Thanks for
> the laugh -- at your expense. Remember Bausch and Lomb eye drops on your
> next screaming-run.

I was home alone in the house the first time I ever handled
jalapenos. My eyes itched, so I rubbed them. I thought I
was going to be blind for life! Fortunately, I managed to
feel my way over to the sink, turned on the water full blast
and ran it over my eyes for a little while to flush them
out. Don't know how long it would have taken to recover if
I hadn't done that.

sf

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:54:52 -0400, Yeff
> wrote:

> I've decided that the screaming helps.

I suspect running with your arms flapping like a windmill
and feet lifting high off the ground helps a bit to scare
them away.

> Apparently, every flight path the cicadas take lead directly to Yeff. I,
> too, almost walked out into traffic trying to avoid a red-eyed monster
> flying right at me.

Think of it this way. They slept for 17 years and then
found you. You're quite the cicada magnet, bub... a regular
Prince Charming of the insect world.

Whadda guy!

Yeff

On Sat, 22 May 2004 22:32:04 GMT, sf wrote:

> I was home alone in the house the first time I ever handled
> jalapenos. My eyes itched, so I rubbed them. I thought I
> was going to be blind for life! Fortunately, I managed to
> feel my way over to the sink, turned on the water full blast
> and ran it over my eyes for a little while to flush them
> out. Don't know how long it would have taken to recover if
> I hadn't done that.

This ain't no shit... (veterans will recognize that)

I was stationed in Misawa, Japan with the Air Force when my unit had an IG
inspection (Inspector General). Those things always kicked off with a
unit-wide recall and everyone had to report to work within a specified
amount of time in uniform, wearing your ballistic helmet and vest, web belt
and with full canteen, pouch with gas mask, and the rest of your chem-gear
in a duffel bag.

Those of us who weren't actually on duty when recalled had to wait in a
manpower pool until released.

We're all sitting there when one of the IG Inspectors entered the room and
started passing out scenario cards. The cards contained situations for
which we were supposed to be trained and we had to either tell what we'd do
or actually demonstrate what we do for each scenario.

One mental midget was handed a card that read something to the effect of,
"A chemical contaminant has gotten into your left eye. Demonstrate the
proper procedure for flushing eyes." The proper procedure was to lean down
with the bad eye towards the floor and flush *away* from the good eye. Our
mental midget managed to get that part right. His only problem was that
he'd been partying before the recall and didn't want his party to end. - so
he'd filled his canteen with vodka and orange juice.

That's right, instead of admitting what he'd done and accepting his
punishment (easily the loss of a stripe), he poured vodka and orange juice
into his own eye, screamed out in pain, accepted a canteen of water to
actually demonstrate the proper way to flush an eye, was led away to the
Commander to tell him what he'd done, and lost a stripe anyway.

--

-Jeff B. (some people are born stupid while others strive to it)
yeff at erols dot com
alzelt

sf wrote:

> BTW: I never could find an ant in those chocolates, no
> matter how tiny my bites were.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I used to think it was like eating Chunky Bars.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Katra

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:35:50 -0500, Katra
> > wrote:
>

> > Did you know that the army calls Grasshoppers "brush shrimp"?
> >
> > K.

> I'm old enough to have had grandparents who actually bought
> things like fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants.
> I was a kid, so I didn't have the gross out factor fully in
> place at the time.
>
> Grasshoppers were sort of like eating those fried green
> seeds (the name escapes me at the moment - a mexican pumpkin
> seed?) - very crispy and hollow.

Pepitas. :-)

> BTW: I never could find an ant in those chocolates, no
> matter how tiny my bites were.

<shiver> Ewwww!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

sf

On Sun, 23 May 2004 03:26:48 -0500, Katra
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
> >
> > Grasshoppers were sort of like eating those fried green
> > seeds (the name escapes me at the moment - a mexican pumpkin
> > seed?) - very crispy and hollow.

> Pepitas. :-)

That's it... thanks!

Kate Connally

Yeff wrote:

> - Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.
>
> - See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.
>
> - Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.
>
> - Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.
>
> - Drink Gatorade, eat peas.
>
> - Rub your right eye that's itching.
>
> - Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B. (freaked out, screaming like a girl, blind in one eye.)
> yeff at erols dot com

When I was young and less squeamish than I am now
(I can't believe I ever tried to keep a praying
mantis as a pet - shudder) we would take the empty
cicada "shells" and stick them on our shirts like
brooches. Their little claw thingies would hold
them on reallly well - sort of like velcro. Now
I cringe if I just see one from afar. I remember
one year when they were particularly plentiful. They
were everywhere! I used to walk downtown (Small Town,
USA) in my bare feet in the summer. This year I started
out in my bare feet and had to turn around and go home
for sandals because the sidewalks were littered with
the beasts. Yuck!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

BOB wrote:

> Yeff wrote:
> > - Walk to the store, mainly to see how many cicadas are about.
> >
> > - See so many that you're reduced to nothing but a girlish scream.
> >
> > - Get to store, buy Gatorade and a can of wasabi peas.
> >
> > - Walk home, screaming like a girl the entire way.
> >
> > - Drink Gatorade, eat peas.
> >
> > - Rub your right eye that's itching.
> >
> > - Realize that there's still horseradish powder on your fingers.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -Jeff B. (freaked out, screaming like a girl, blind in one eye.)
> > yeff at erols dot com

> Cook the cicadas. They're related to shrimp.

That was a cruel remark. Now I may never be able
to eat shrimp again. :-P
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Yeff wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:09:55 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I keep watching for cicadas, nothing yet, but I'm still terrified.
> > One got into my hair once and started buzzing away. I almost ran
> > into traffic trying to get away from it.
> >
> > Screaming like a girl.

> I've decided that the screaming helps. Nothing else does save moving to
> the west coast (and that'll never happen).
>
> Apparently, every flight path the cicadas take lead directly to Yeff. I,
> too, almost walked out into traffic trying to avoid a red-eyed monster
> flying right at me.
>
> --
>
> -Jeff B.
> yeff at erols dot com

You think cicadas are bad? At least they stay outside.
Try leaving the window open with no screen in it and coming
come after dark and going to your bedroom and opening the
door and turning on the light and walking into a room filled
with evil June bugs!!!! Talk about screaming!!!!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 20:44:31 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
> > BTDT (with those damned wasabi pea-stained fingers); I survived -- though I
> > doubted I would view the world through my 20/40 eye-sight later. Thanks for
> > the laugh -- at your expense. Remember Bausch and Lomb eye drops on your
> > next screaming-run.
> >

> I was home alone in the house the first time I ever handled
> jalapenos. My eyes itched, so I rubbed them. I thought I
> was going to be blind for life! Fortunately, I managed to
> feel my way over to the sink, turned on the water full blast
> and ran it over my eyes for a little while to flush them
> out. Don't know how long it would have taken to recover if
> I hadn't done that.
>
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Been there, done that. Several times actually.
I never learn. ;-)
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Yeff

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:07:35 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:

> You think cicadas are bad? At least they stay outside.
> Try leaving the window open with no screen in it and coming
> come after dark and going to your bedroom and opening the
> door and turning on the light and walking into a room filled
> with evil June bugs!!!! Talk about screaming!!!!

BTDT! I always wash my clothes at night but someone who does it during the
day always leaves the window of the room open to keep it cool. I walked in
one night to the very scene you describe. Yuck! Snuck and used the wash
room of another building instead of going in that room.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
telmgren

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:

> --
> Kate Connally
> "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off."
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

I am so LOL!! I thought I was the only one that thought Goldfish commercial
was twisted. LOL!!!

Kate Connally

telmgren wrote:

> "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> > sf wrote:

> > --
> > Kate Connally
> > "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> > Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> > Until you bite their heads off."
> > What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

> I am so LOL!! I thought I was the only one that thought Goldfish commercial
> was twisted. LOL!!!

Have you seen the more recent one where they sing
something like "They are smiling because they don't
know that they'll be eaten"? Yes, whoever writes
their jingles is a tad twisted.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

sf

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:39:09 -0400, Kate Connally
> wrote:

> telmgren wrote:
> >
> > "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> > > sf wrote:

> > > --
> > > Kate Connally
> > > "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> > > Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> > > Until you bite their heads off."
> > > What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

> > I am so LOL!! I thought I was the only one that thought Goldfish commercial
> > was twisted. LOL!!!

> Have you seen the more recent one where they sing
> something like "They are smiling because they don't
> know that they'll be eaten"? Yes, whoever writes
> their jingles is a tad twisted.

Twisted, but kiddie humor all the same.

Kate Connally

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:39:09 -0400, Kate Connally
> > wrote:
>
> > telmgren wrote:

> > > I am so LOL!! I thought I was the only one that thought Goldfish commercial
> > > was twisted. LOL!!!

> > Have you seen the more recent one where they sing
> > something like "They are smiling because they don't
> > know that they'll be eaten"? Yes, whoever writes
> > their jingles is a tad twisted.

> Twisted, but kiddie humor all the same.

When you say kiddie humor I think "juvenile"
humor, which is a bad thing. I don't think the
humor is "juvenile" (if that's what you meant).
I think it's silly (in a more adult silly way)
and a little dark (that is definitely adult).
I hate juvenile "humor" (junior high school male
humor) but I love good "silly" humor (John Cleese
humor).

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Nancy Young

Kate Connally wrote:

> When you say kiddie humor I think "juvenile"
> humor, which is a bad thing. I don't think the
> humor is "juvenile" (if that's what you meant).
> I think it's silly (in a more adult silly way)
> and a little dark (that is definitely adult).
> I hate juvenile "humor" (junior high school male
> humor) but I love good "silly" humor (John Cleese
> humor).

I thought it was funny. Plus, they are trying to get kids to ask
for the product. But then, I went to see Shrek 2 yesterday, so who
am I to say about adults vs. kids humor.

nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)
Kate Connally

Nancy Young wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > When you say kiddie humor I think "juvenile"
> > humor, which is a bad thing. I don't think the
> > humor is "juvenile" (if that's what you meant).
> > I think it's silly (in a more adult silly way)
> > and a little dark (that is definitely adult).
> > I hate juvenile "humor" (junior high school male
> > humor) but I love good "silly" humor (John Cleese
> > humor).

> I thought it was funny. Plus, they are trying to get kids to ask
> for the product. But then, I went to see Shrek 2 yesterday, so who
> am I to say about adults vs. kids humor.

I loved Shrek. Can't wait to see Shrek 2. I don't
find Shrek humor to be kids humor. I think it's fairly
adult. There's a certain kind of humor that is adult
enough for adults but has a silliness to it that kids
can relate to also. Cartoons are the only place where
I appreciate slapstick. I really don't care for it at
all when people do it - hated Charlie Chaplin, the Three
Stooges, etc. (Although I do appreciate the occasional
physical humor if it's not overdone - like Dick Van
Dyke, for example). Anyway, kids appreciate the physical
humor more and adults (at least some of them) appreciate
the verbal humor more.

> nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)

Wow, you really go all out? Must have set you back
a small fortune. ;-) That's why I usually wait till
it comes on tv.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Nancy Young

Kate Connally wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I thought it was funny. Plus, they are trying to get kids to ask
> > for the product. But then, I went to see Shrek 2 yesterday, so who
> > am I to say about adults vs. kids humor.

> I loved Shrek. Can't wait to see Shrek 2. I don't
> find Shrek humor to be kids humor. I think it's fairly
> adult.

I started to say something like that, some of the humor was definitely
on the risque side. No complaints here.

> > nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)

> Wow, you really go all out? Must have set you back
> a small fortune. ;-) That's why I usually wait till
> it comes on tv.

I *never* go to the movies. It's so rare that I don't think I'm
exaggerating when I say never. Decided to take a walk on the wild
side. (laugh) I always wait until it's in the video stores. I
was just talking about the days when you waited in long lines to
see movies, because once they were gone ... who know's when it
would hit tv, and then it had commercials. Nowadays, the video is
out in no time, no need to aggravate yourself with other talking
movie goers.

But, if you're going to go to the movies, you gotta get the candy.
It's a rule. If they had Junior Mints I'd have gotten them, too.

nancy
CaptCook

"Nancy Young" wrote ..
> nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)

Please, what are Snowcaps?

Nancy Young

CaptCook wrote:

> "Nancy Young" wrote ..
> > nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)

> Please, what are Snowcaps?

Uh oh ... okay ... I'm going to get yelled at if I'm saying the
wrong thing ... miniature non pareils ... dots of dark chocolate
with white sprinkles on them. They come in a box.

nancy
Yeff

Picture he <http://www.kitchenselection.com/products/item46414.html>

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Nancy Young

Yeff wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:18:51 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Uh oh ... okay ... I'm going to get yelled at if I'm saying the
> > wrong thing ... miniature non pareils ... dots of dark chocolate
> > with white sprinkles on them. They come in a box.

> Picture he <http://www.kitchenselection.com/products/item46414.html>

Thank you, Jeff! nancy

sf

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:03:49 -0400, Kate Connally
> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > Kate Connally wrote:
> >
> > > When you say kiddie humor I think "juvenile"
> > > humor, which is a bad thing. I don't think the
> > > humor is "juvenile" (if that's what you meant).
> > > I think it's silly (in a more adult silly way)
> > > and a little dark (that is definitely adult).
> > > I hate juvenile "humor" (junior high school male
> > > humor) but I love good "silly" humor (John Cleese
> > > humor).

> > I thought it was funny. Plus, they are trying to get kids to ask
> > for the product. But then, I went to see Shrek 2 yesterday, so who
> > am I to say about adults vs. kids humor.

> I loved Shrek. Can't wait to see Shrek 2. I don't
> find Shrek humor to be kids humor. I think it's fairly
> adult.

Hey (tread lightly)... you *could* be talking about Rocky
and Bullwinkle, girlie.

> There's a certain kind of humor that is adult
> enough for adults but has a silliness to it that kids
> can relate to also.

A Bugs Life reflects your opinion... but I have an opposite
view. I think they write their scripts for child appeal,
and throw in enough adult humor to keep parents (and
grandparents) awake/interested. Shrek is a good example,
Babe is better.

> Cartoons are the only place where
> I appreciate slapstick.

Oh, my goodness... you must be too young to know about Abbot
and Costello,!

The "Who's on First?" Script is he
http://www.spincityimaging.com/run/whoson.htm

> I really don't care for it at
> all when people do it - hated Charlie Chaplin, the Three
> Stooges, etc. (Although I do appreciate the occasional
> physical humor if it's not overdone - like Dick Van
> Dyke, for example). Anyway, kids appreciate the physical
> humor more and adults (at least some of them) appreciate
> the verbal humor more.

It's all style.

I like some slapstick, but not others... I loved the 3
stooges when I was a teenager (but I outgrew them). I also
liked classic comics such as Abbot & Costello, Bob Hope, Red
Skeleton, (later) Carol Burnett and Chevy Chase.... and I
still like them.

Monty Python doesn't offend me, but I fail to "get" the
humor. I feel like Robin Williams (as his character, Mork):
"Humor (!?!).... ark, ark, ark"!

sf

On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:18:51 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> CaptCook wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" wrote ..
> > > nancy (got Milk Duds AND Snowcaps)

> > Please, what are Snowcaps?

> Uh oh ... okay ... I'm going to get yelled at if I'm saying the
> wrong thing ... miniature non pareils ... dots of dark chocolate
> with white sprinkles on them. They come in a box.

So it's Official.... that's what they're called???

Nancy Young

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:18:51 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> > CaptCook wrote:
> > >
> > > "Nancy Young" wrote ..
> > >
> > > Please, what are Snowcaps?

> > Uh oh ... okay ... I'm going to get yelled at if I'm saying the
> > wrong thing ... miniature non pareils ... dots of dark chocolate
> > with white sprinkles on them. They come in a box.
> >

> So it's Official.... that's what they're called???

Snow Caps

nancy
Yeff

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:53:24 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> So it's Official.... that's what they're called???

> Snow Caps

Actually it's SnoCaps.

--

-Jeff B. (who hasn't had them in ages)
yeff at erols dot com
Steve the Sauropodman

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> Yeff wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:09:55 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > > I keep watching for cicadas, nothing yet, but I'm still terrified.
> > > One got into my hair once and started buzzing away. I almost ran
> > > into traffic trying to get away from it.
> > >
> > > Screaming like a girl.

> > I've decided that the screaming helps. Nothing else does save moving to
> > the west coast (and that'll never happen).
> >
> > Apparently, every flight path the cicadas take lead directly to Yeff. I,
> > too, almost walked out into traffic trying to avoid a red-eyed monster
> > flying right at me.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -Jeff B.
> > yeff at erols dot com

> You think cicadas are bad? At least they stay outside.
> Try leaving the window open with no screen in it and coming
> come after dark and going to your bedroom and opening the
> door and turning on the light and walking into a room filled
> with evil June bugs!!!! Talk about screaming!!!!
>
> Kate

This reminds me of the time my wife and I were visiting her brother in
Florida. He was stationed at Patrick AFB and we were staying in the
TOQ on base (Temporary Officer's Quarters...I outranked
him...he,he,he.) My wife, his wife, their two sons, our son and I
headed back to the TOQ after a day at the beach. I open the door and
saw what looked like two big gashs in the wall...I didn't have my
glasses on. The next thing I know this pair of %%$!*& palmetto bugs,
which I know were only 3-4 inches long, but I swear looked like
slightly smaller versions of that damnable mutant, bug-creature-thing
from the movie 'Mimic' unfolds these B-17 sized wings and launch
themselves right at my head. Forunately, I was carrying the badminton
equipment and bashed the little critters into oblivion in mid flight.

Now when we go down to Florida, and I see palmetto bugs I just run
around hysterically screaming "THEM! "THEM!"

Cheers,
Steve

The