Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Default My battle with the bulge...

Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle it
occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means less
eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.

Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
smaller cookware.

I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band tight
for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Sheldon

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
> religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
> shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle it
> occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means less
> eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.
>
> Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
> smaller cookware.

I don't see how smaller cookware will curtail eating larger portions...
then you may as well toss out all pots over 1qt. Why not invest in a
kitchen scale instead. Plate size won't make any difference either,
instead concentrate on what you put on the plate; type of food and
quantity... it matters not say how much lettuce in on a plate as it
does how much say cheese... again, invest in as good kitchen scale.

> I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.

Blech! No seafood cooked in aluminum... use parchment.

> Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
> cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

All those can be cooked together with the cod fish in a parchment
packet (but NOT 'shrooms... fish with 'shooms indicates chronic taste
in ass disease), you can even add lemon slices, another item which
cooked in aluminum is blech!

> While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
> one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
> removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
> the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band tight
> for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

Get one of those rubber sheet thingies, much better than mechanical
gizmos... even a fat rubberband works.

Sheldon

Andy

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > wrote in
:

> Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
> religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
> shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle

it
> occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means

less
> eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.
>
> Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
> smaller cookware.
>
> I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
> Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
> cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet,

Sounds great, only why pick Friday night to wage such a battle???

Andy
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Andy wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Sounds great, only why pick Friday night to wage such a battle???

This was when I decided to buy the smaller pan not when I waged the
battle.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 11:09:06a, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
> religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
> shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle it
> occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means less
> eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.
>
> Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
> smaller cookware.

The plate thing didn't work for me. After all, there was all that "extra"
food sitting in the kitchen. We use smaller containers and bakeware when
I'm just cooking for two. I try my best to cook only the amount of food we
should be eating.

> I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
> Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
> cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil packet?

> While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
> one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
> removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
> the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band tight
> for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

Just sounds like a lot of screwing to me! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 29 Jul 2005 11:09:06a, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
> > religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
> > shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle it
> > occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means less
> > eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.
> >
> > Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
> > smaller cookware.

> The plate thing didn't work for me. After all, there was all that "extra"
> food sitting in the kitchen. We use smaller containers and bakeware when
> I'm just cooking for two. I try my best to cook only the amount of food

we
> should be eating.
>
> > I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
> > Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
> > cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

> How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil packet?
>

> > While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
> > one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
> > removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
> > the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band tight
> > for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

> Just sounds like a lot of screwing to me! :-)

I am *so* not touching THAT one! <g>

kili

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil
> packet?

The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice, salt &
pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a
> > foil packet?
> >

> The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice,
> salt & pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).

I decided on the other stuff...that penzeys blend 'parisiene herbs' I
think it's called.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
kilikini

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil
> > packet?
> >

> The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice, salt &
> pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).

Dill, dill!

kili

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 02:14:55p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a
>> > foil packet?
>> >

>> The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice, salt
>> & pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).
>>

> I decided on the other stuff...that penzeys blend 'parisiene herbs' I
> think it's called.

Ah, that's more like it! Nice flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 02:16:14p, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil
>> > packet?
>> >

>> The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice, salt &
>> pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).
>>

> Dill, dill!
>
> kili

On salmon, salmon.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> > While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar
> > opener...This one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a
> > handle to aid in lid removal...Looks like it will work...if
> > you're patient enough to screw the metal band big enough to fit
> > the lid and then screw the band tight for lid removal...then
> > screw the band in, for storage.

> Just sounds like a lot of screwing to me! :-)

Exactally. The end of the handle has a little nob to twist that either
loosens or tightens the metal band...way to fiddlely...another for my
drawer of shame.

More on the cod.
I decided to put lemon slices as well as the lemon juice on the cod
chunks (might as well use the whole lemon up). So the cod has lemon
juice, salt and pepper penzeys parissiene herbs, pat of butter and thin
lemon slices. Baking in a pre heated 450F oven for 20-25 minutes as I
type.

Soy sauce and ginger as major players is another way I like to go with
cod.

To me Cod is like a potato: adds a nice background to be seasoned.
But I have an excuse...Prairie born and raised...never saw a ocean or
mountain till I was in my twenties.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 02:56:45p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> > While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar
>> > opener...This one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a
>> > handle to aid in lid removal...Looks like it will work...if
>> > you're patient enough to screw the metal band big enough to fit
>> > the lid and then screw the band tight for lid removal...then screw
>> > the band in, for storage.

>> Just sounds like a lot of screwing to me! :-)
>>

> Exactally. The end of the handle has a little nob to twist that either
> loosens or tightens the metal band...way to fiddlely...another for my
> drawer of shame.
>
> More on the cod.
> I decided to put lemon slices as well as the lemon juice on the cod
> chunks (might as well use the whole lemon up). So the cod has lemon
> juice, salt and pepper penzeys parissiene herbs, pat of butter and thin
> lemon slices. Baking in a pre heated 450F oven for 20-25 minutes as I
> type.

You can't beat fresh lemon on baked fish. I think you've got a winning
combo.

> Soy sauce and ginger as major players is another way I like to go with
> cod.

I'd not have thought of that, but it sounds good.

> To me Cod is like a potato: adds a nice background to be seasoned.
> But I have an excuse...Prairie born and raised...never saw a ocean or
> mountain till I was in my twenties.

I spent most of my life on the shores of Lake Erie, where huge amounts of
lake perch and pickerel were always available. Mostly it was floured and
fried or sauteed, and that's still my favorite. I do make a baked pickerel
on occasion, though.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I spent most of my life on the shores of Lake Erie, where huge
> amounts of lake perch and pickerel were always available. Mostly
> it was floured and fried or sauteed, and that's still my favorite.
> I do make a baked pickerel on occasion, though.

Breaded & pan fried pickrel and breaded & pan fried sole taste similar
to me. I also am close to a large fresh water lake where pickrel
abound.

This works well on sole when frying it.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Crunchy Coating For Chicken, Fish, Or Pork

poultry, tested

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup fine cereal flake crumbs
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes
1 tablespoon dry savory leaves
1 tablespoon crumbled dry sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Mix together well and store in jar with tight lid.

YIELD: about 2 cups of coating mix

For oven-fried chicken:

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil
1 cup coating mix
2 eggs
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup flour

Heat oven to 400F. Put butter and oil in shallow pan (10x15-inch
jelly-roll
pan is ideal) and place in oven until butter melts. meanwhile put
coating
mix in a shallow bowl. Mix the eggs and water and put in another
shallow
bowl. Put flour in a third bowl. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Roll
each
piece in flour, then dip in egg mixture and then coat thoroughly with
coating mix. Place each piece on baking pan then turn so that buttered
side
is up. Arrange pieces so they do not touch. Bake at 400F for 1 hour
(turn
pieces after half-hour).

YIELD: serves 4 (one whole chicken or an assortment of pieces)

For oven-fried fish:

Use firm white fish and cut into serving size pieces. Proceed as above
but
bake at 450F for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

YIELD: serves 4-6 depending on size of fish pieces

For oven-fried pork:

Use thin pork chops. Proceed as for chicken. Bake at 400F for about 30
minutes.

YIELD: serves 6

It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

This sounds like the "Cap Gripper" --
<http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=0&department=0&search_type= normal&search_value=cap%20gripper&cur_index=&pcode =7369>

It's sometimes recommended for people with arthritis and the like --
<http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113583&top=0&productid=74083&t rail=0>

I came across it when I was researching assistive devices before having
shoulder surgery. Check out these jar openers (the wall or
under-cabinet mounted ones are appropriate for one-armed people):
<http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/product-list.asp?subsection=518>

--bwg

maxine in ri

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:09:06 GMT, Monsur Fromage du Pollet

~
~Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
~smaller cookware.
~
~I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
~Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
~cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.
~
~While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
~one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
~removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
~the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band
tight
~for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

That's one way, but I prefer cooking lots of food at one time, then
parecelling it out into appropriate-sized portions for current and
future meals so that there's always something in the house that can be
prepared quickly when we come home ravenous.

When I was single, I got the hang of making nukable dinners using a
similar pattern to the ones in the market. Now I could fill the
freezer with them, if my DH didn't finish them off so quickly<G>

maxine in ri
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 29 Jul 2005 03:55:26p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I spent most of my life on the shores of Lake Erie, where huge
>> amounts of lake perch and pickerel were always available. Mostly
>> it was floured and fried or sauteed, and that's still my favorite.
>> I do make a baked pickerel on occasion, though.
>>

> Breaded & pan fried pickrel and breaded & pan fried sole taste similar
> to me. I also am close to a large fresh water lake where pickrel
> abound.
>
> This works well on sole when frying it.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Crunchy Coating For Chicken, Fish, Or Pork
>
> poultry, tested
>
> 1 cup cornmeal
> 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
> 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
> 1/2 cup fine cereal flake crumbs
> 1 tablespoon garlic powder
> 1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes
> 1 tablespoon dry savory leaves
> 1 tablespoon crumbled dry sage
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
>
> Mix together well and store in jar with tight lid.
>
> YIELD: about 2 cups of coating mix
>
> For oven-fried chicken:
>
> 2 tbsp butter
> 2 tbsp oil
> 1 cup coating mix
> 2 eggs
> 1 tbsp water
> 1/4 cup flour
>
> Heat oven to 400F. Put butter and oil in shallow pan (10x15-inch
> jelly-roll
> pan is ideal) and place in oven until butter melts. meanwhile put
> coating
> mix in a shallow bowl. Mix the eggs and water and put in another
> shallow
> bowl. Put flour in a third bowl. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Roll
> each
> piece in flour, then dip in egg mixture and then coat thoroughly with
> coating mix. Place each piece on baking pan then turn so that buttered
> side
> is up. Arrange pieces so they do not touch. Bake at 400F for 1 hour
> (turn
> pieces after half-hour).
>
> YIELD: serves 4 (one whole chicken or an assortment of pieces)
>
> For oven-fried fish:
>
> Use firm white fish and cut into serving size pieces. Proceed as above
> but
> bake at 450F for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
>
> YIELD: serves 4-6 depending on size of fish pieces
>
> For oven-fried pork:
>
> Use thin pork chops. Proceed as for chicken. Bake at 400F for about 30
> minutes.
>
> YIELD: serves 6

Thanks, Alan. These are helpful! To be saved and used.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/29/2005 5:54:43 PM

Glitter Ninja

maxine in ri > writes:

>When I was single, I got the hang of making nukable dinners using a
>similar pattern to the ones in the market. Now I could fill the
>freezer with them, if my DH didn't finish them off so quickly<G>

I've thought about doing something similar. What sort of container do
you use to store the dinners?

Stacia

Rick & Cyndi

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Fri 29 Jul 2005 11:09:06a, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > Recently I took a look at the old cookie sheet/jellyroll pan that was
>> > religated to the general purpose cooking sheet...It's appearance
>> > shocked me...Time for a new one...While browsing the jelly pan aisle it
>> > occured to me ...smaller pan means less cooked...less cooked means less
>> > eaten. A true relvalation! So I now have help in limiting food eaten.
>> >
>> > Sure I'd been told use smaller plates...but never mentioned was use
>> > smaller cookware.

>> The plate thing didn't work for me. After all, there was all that
>> "extra"
>> food sitting in the kitchen. We use smaller containers and bakeware when
>> I'm just cooking for two. I try my best to cook only the amount of food

> we
>> should be eating.
>>
>> > I'm gonna celebrate! cod cooked in a foil package for supper tonight.
>> > Of course on the new smaller pan. Sidedish... mixed brocolli and
>> > cauliflower with onion and mushroom slices.

>> How will you cook the cod, apart from the fact that it's in a foil
>> packet?
>>

>> > While in the gizmo aisle I had to buy my mandatory jar opener...This
>> > one uses a screw-down metal band attached to a handle to aid in lid
>> > removal...Looks like it will work...if you're patient enough to screw
>> > the metal band big enough to fit the lid and then screw the band tight
>> > for lid removal...then screw the band in, for storage.

>> Just sounds like a lot of screwing to me! :-)
>>

> I am *so* not touching THAT one! <g>
>
> kili
>
>=========

"Chicken"!!!

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 29 Jul 2005 02:16:14p, kilikini wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
>>> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 29 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

>>> The cod will be seasoned with a pat of butter, some lemon juice, salt &
>>> pepper and possibly other stuff (depends on my mood).
>>>

>> Dill, dill!
>>
>> kili

> On salmon, salmon.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> ==========

....with butter, brown sugar, and lemon juice!!!

Cyndi

Curly Sue

On 29 Jul 2005 16:02:47 -0700, "
> wrote:

>This sounds like the "Cap Gripper" --
><http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=0&department=0&search_type= normal&search_value=cap%20gripper&cur_index=&pcode =7369>

I was going to suggest a small strap wrench, which I have, but there
it is!

>It's sometimes recommended for people with arthritis and the like --
><http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113583&top=0&productid=74083&t rail=0>
>
>I came across it when I was researching assistive devices before having
>shoulder surgery. Check out these jar openers (the wall or
>under-cabinet mounted ones are appropriate for one-armed people):
><http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/product-list.asp?subsection=518>

They didn't list the Black and Decker Lids Off electric jar opener,
which was introduced a couple of years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/9zulk

Sue(tm)
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 05:03:41a, Rick & Cyndi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Dill, dill!
>>>
>>> kili

>> On salmon, salmon.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> ==========

> ...with butter, brown sugar, and lemon juice!!!
>
> Cyndi

Sounz gud!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/30/2005 6:29:19 AM

Battle Fennel? Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 10 07-08-2006 05:05 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 7 16-01-2005 10:29 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 03:05 PM
Honorable Battle Wounds The Joneses Preserving 4 04-06-2004 06:03 PM
Battle Against Mad Cow Already Lost !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 1 05-02-2004 12:45 PM