Pandora

Default [Chestnut dumplings] Reality show! First photos

I've made now without potatoes. I'm not a magician and I'haven't buy them
))
Look.
http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9
http://tinypic.com/9jjdcl.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9jjds6
http://tinypic.com/9jje6s
Now I must go because I have the water on the fire.
Then I tell you
Bye Bye
Pandora

Pandora

The dish finished:
http://tinypic.com/9jkaab.jpg
See you later, then I tell you
I go to make the chestnut dumplings with potatoes now.
These one are too hard, like I presumed!
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

These gnocchi was made (this evening) with potatoes and chestnut flours.
More soft, more digestible, perhaps less beautiful than the others.

Recipe of this:
FOR GNOCCHI:
200 gr. of potatoes
150 gr. chestnut flour
50 gr. normal flour
---------------------
Boil potatoes till they are soft. Then, when they are stil hot, discard the
skin.
Put them in the potato musher and assemble them over the pastry board.
http://tinypic.com/9jlvf8.jpg

Make an hole and put inside 2 whole eggs. Beat the eggs with a fork; then
add chestnut flour and begin to knead with your hands.
If necessary (if the mixture is too soft, add some white flour).
When is ready, make long snakes that you will cut like the photo of the
precedent
post. Put every "gnocco" on a tray (over which you have put a floured
napkin).
Meanwhile you have put on the fire a big pot full of salted water. Put
inside also a spoon of oil.
When the water boil put your gnocchi (few at a time) inside.
Gnocchi are ready when they come to the surface. Take them out with a
strainer and put in the frying pan with the sauce.
(you can season this gnocchi only with some liquefied butter and sage).

RACLETTE SAUCE
http://tinypic.com/9jlwzt.jpg
3 glass of milk
150 gr of Raclette cheese;
butter,
salt
black pepper
sage.
---------------------------

In a frying pan put the butter; liquefy it and then add the milk, pepper,
salt and minced sage.
At this point put the minced cheese and mix till you see a cream.
If it is too liquid, put inside some teaspoons of potato starch.
Put your gnocchi in the frying pan with the hot cream and serve at instant.
http://tinypic.com/9jlx6p.jpg

I hope you will enjoy this recipe.
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> These gnocchi was made (this evening) with potatoes and chestnut flours.
> More soft, more digestible, perhaps less beautiful than the others.
>
> Recipe of this:
> FOR GNOCCHI:
> 200 gr. of potatoes
> 150 gr. chestnut flour
> 50 gr. normal flour

Sorry, I have trascripted wrong. It was 500 gr. of potatoes with skin, 150
of chestnut flour, 50 gr of white flour.
Excuse me, I was in a Hurry!
Pandora

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9
> http://tinypic.com/9jjdcl.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9jjds6
> http://tinypic.com/9jje6s

Only the 2nd URL worked for me, but the dumplings are adorable.

serene

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> http://tinypic.com/9jkaab.jpg

Did you use a fork to make those shapes? That's how I've seen it done,
but I've never tried to make gnocchi. It's intimidating for me, but I
may give it a shot next time I am feeling ambitious.

serene
Pandora

"serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> http://tinypic.com/9jkaab.jpg

> Did you use a fork to make those shapes? That's how I've seen it done,
> but I've never tried to make gnocchi. It's intimidating for me, but I
> may give it a shot next time I am feeling ambitious.

No. It isn't a fork, it is a channelled chopping board. I put in my photo.
Try to look this

> http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

http://tinypic.com/9joq3c.jpg

Anyway is very simple to make Gnocchi! Don't be afraid!
You can also make them without grooves.
Cheers
Pandora

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Pandora > wrote:
> >
> >> http://tinypic.com/9jkaab.jpg

> > Did you use a fork to make those shapes? That's how I've seen it done,
> > but I've never tried to make gnocchi. It's intimidating for me, but I
> > may give it a shot next time I am feeling ambitious.

> No. It isn't a fork, it is a channelled chopping board. I put in my photo.
> Try to look this
>
> > http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

> http://tinypic.com/9joq3c.jpg

I see the chopping board, but I still don't understand what you mean.
Can you explain?

> Anyway is very simple to make Gnocchi! Don't be afraid!
> You can also make them without grooves.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

serene
Curly Sue

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9
>> http://tinypic.com/9jjdcl.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9jjds6
>> http://tinypic.com/9jje6s

>Only the 2nd URL worked for me, but the dumplings are adorable.

I tried adding "jpg" to the end but that didn't help.

Sue(tm)
Pandora

"serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
> Pandora > wrote:

>> > Did you use a fork to make those shapes? That's how I've seen it done,
>> > but I've never tried to make gnocchi. It's intimidating for me, but I
>> > may give it a shot next time I am feeling ambitious.

>> No. It isn't a fork, it is a channelled chopping board. I put in my
>> photo.
>> Try to look this
>>
>> > http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

>> http://tinypic.com/9joq3c.jpg

> I see the chopping board, but I still don't understand what you mean.
> Can you explain?

I put the Gnocco over the Channelled chopping board and with my thumb I roll
it over making a light pressure. The Gnocco will come out channelled with a
cavity on one side (the side where you put the thumb).
Gnocco with cavity is much more digestible, light and beautiful than a round
whole gnocco.
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:29:31 -0700, (serene)
> wrote:
>
>>Pandora > wrote:

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9
>>> http://tinypic.com/9jjdcl.jpg
>>> http://tinypic.com/9jjds6
>>> http://tinypic.com/9jje6s

>>Only the 2nd URL worked for me, but the dumplings are adorable.
>>

> I tried adding "jpg" to the end but that didn't help.

I send you others.Yesterday, Tinypic had some problems.
Look:

http://tinypic.com/9k5r47.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9k5rg4.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9k5rnn.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9k5s04.jpg

Hoping you can see these.
Cheers
Pandora

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> I put the Gnocco over the Channelled chopping board and with my thumb I roll
> it over making a light pressure. The Gnocco will come out channelled with a
> cavity on one side (the side where you put the thumb).
> Gnocco with cavity is much more digestible, light and beautiful than a round
> whole gnocco.

Thanks! The channels aren't clear to me in the picture. Thanks for the
explanation. Guy (one of my husbands) and I are planning to make this
next time we're in the mood to cook.

serene
Pandora

"serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> I put the Gnocco over the Channelled chopping board and with my thumb I
>> roll
>> it over making a light pressure. The Gnocco will come out channelled with
>> cavity on one side (the side where you put the thumb).
>> Gnocco with cavity is much more digestible, light and beautiful than a
>> round
>> whole gnocco.

> Thanks! The channels aren't clear to me in the picture. Thanks for the
> explanation. Guy (one of my husbands) and I are planning to make this
> next time we're in the mood to cook.

And the other husbands?????
Did you lend him? )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Pandora

> serene

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> . ..

> > Thanks! The channels aren't clear to me in the picture. Thanks for the
> > explanation. Guy (one of my husbands) and I are planning to make this
> > next time we're in the mood to cook.

> And the other husbands?????
> Did you lend him? )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

*grin* No, the other husband (James) and I don't usually cook together.
Sometimes we do, but usually I cook for him or he cooks for me. Guy and
I, on the other hand, like to find a recipe for something fun (last
time, it was citrus jelly made from his Meyer lemons) and make it in his
swanky (fancy) new kitchen.

And my wife doesn't cook at all, unless you count pushing the buttons on
the microwave. :-)

serene
Pandora

"serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> . ..

>> > Thanks! The channels aren't clear to me in the picture. Thanks for the
>> > explanation. Guy (one of my husbands) and I are planning to make this
>> > next time we're in the mood to cook.

>> And the other husbands?????
>> Did you lend him? )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

> *grin* No, the other husband (James) and I don't usually cook together.
> Sometimes we do, but usually I cook for him or he cooks for me.

Ohhh! What a romantic scene!

Guy and
> I, on the other hand, like to find a recipe for something fun (last
> time, it was citrus jelly made from his Meyer lemons) and make it in his
> swanky (fancy) new kitchen.

Is James jealous of Guy?

> And my wife doesn't cook at all, unless you count pushing the buttons on
> the microwave. :-)
>
> serene

Ohhhhhh! I understand: you have two husbands and one wife!
But who are you? An husband or a wife?
Oh my God. I think that sumertime is beginning to make effect on my poor
head ))
Pandora

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > *grin* No, the other husband (James) and I don't usually cook together.
> > Sometimes we do, but usually I cook for him or he cooks for me.

> Ohhh! What a romantic scene!

:-) We take turns, but for our parties, we work together, and I really
like that. And James is a good cook, but I like cooking more than he
does, so I do most of the cooking when we're not having a party. (But
he's happy to fix us udon or yaki soba or a tuna sandwich if I don't
feel up to making us food. And his mushroom omelettes are
yummalicious.)

> > Guy and
> > I, on the other hand, like to find a recipe for something fun (last
> > time, it was citrus jelly made from his Meyer lemons) and make it in his
> > swanky (fancy) new kitchen.

> Is James jealous of Guy?

Nope. They're very sweet to each other. When we all hang out together,
I really like watching them relate to each other. It's very sweet.

> > And my wife doesn't cook at all, unless you count pushing the buttons on
> > the microwave. :-)

> Ohhhhhh! I understand: you have two husbands and one wife!
> But who are you? An husband or a wife?
> Oh my God. I think that sumertime is beginning to make effect on my poor
> head ))

*giggle* I'm a wife. I know, it's confusing sometimes, but our life is
pretty much like anyone else's married life, just with more people.

ObFood: Today I will try to figure out which gnocchi recipe to make,
and then tomorrow, Guy and I are going to make gnocchi and lemon jelly.
He's running out of jelly, and he really likes it, especially because
it's made from his own lemons.

Hey, Pandora (and anyone else), what sauce do you usually put on
gnocchi? There was this great place in San Diego (La Mesa, actually)
that used to make it with a mushroom-and-wine sauce, but I haven't had
it since.

serene
Pandora

"serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > *grin* No, the other husband (James) and I don't usually cook
>> > together.
>> > Sometimes we do, but usually I cook for him or he cooks for me.

>> Ohhh! What a romantic scene!

> :-) We take turns, but for our parties, we work together, and I really
> like that. And James is a good cook, but I like cooking more than he
> does, so I do most of the cooking when we're not having a party. (But
> he's happy to fix us udon or yaki soba or a tuna sandwich if I don't
> feel up to making us food. And his mushroom omelettes are
> yummalicious.)

Good! I love omelettes, and I love mushrooms. Can you lend me James?

>> > Guy and
>> > I, on the other hand, like to find a recipe for something fun (last
>> > time, it was citrus jelly made from his Meyer lemons) and make it in
>> > his
>> > swanky (fancy) new kitchen.

>> Is James jealous of Guy?

> Nope. They're very sweet to each other. When we all hang out together,
> I really like watching them relate to each other. It's very sweet.

Ohhhhh! Wonderful! So, I think that the jealous are you ))

>> > And my wife doesn't cook at all, unless you count pushing the buttons
>> > on
>> > the microwave. :-)

>> Ohhhhhh! I understand: you have two husbands and one wife!
>> But who are you? An husband or a wife?
>> Oh my God. I think that sumertime is beginning to make effect on my poor
>> head ))

> *giggle* I'm a wife. I know, it's confusing sometimes, but our life is
> pretty much like anyone else's married life, just with more people.

Ah! Ok! You are a very lucky person)))

> ObFood: Today I will try to figure out which gnocchi recipe to make,
> and then tomorrow, Guy and I are going to make gnocchi and lemon jelly.
> He's running out of jelly, and he really likes it, especially because
> it's made from his own lemons.

Sorry, I don't understand: You would like to put lemon jelly over Gnocchi?

> Hey, Pandora (and anyone else), what sauce do you usually put on
> gnocchi?

In the centre of Italy we often use *ragù* (tomatos sauce with meat). In
nothern Italy the put cream with mushrooms or fontina sauce ( like I
explained).
other persons use the famous *Pesto alla genovese* (a sort of basil sauce
with pine-seed, oil, Reggiano and Romano cheese).

There was this great place in San Diego (La Mesa, actually)
> that used to make it with a mushroom-and-wine sauce, but I haven't had
> it since.

I haven't try this sauce. If I see the recipe I can tell you if it could be
good for gnocchi.
Cheers to husbands and wives!
Pandora

serene

Pandora > wrote:

> "serene" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> > :-) We take turns, but for our parties, we work together, and I really
> > like that. And James is a good cook, but I like cooking more than he
> > does, so I do most of the cooking when we're not having a party. (But
> > he's happy to fix us udon or yaki soba or a tuna sandwich if I don't
> > feel up to making us food. And his mushroom omelettes are
> > yummalicious.)

> Good! I love omelettes, and I love mushrooms. Can you lend me James?

*grin* Sure!

<snip>
> Ah! Ok! You are a very lucky person)))

Yep!

> > ObFood: Today I will try to figure out which gnocchi recipe to make,
> > and then tomorrow, Guy and I are going to make gnocchi and lemon jelly.
> > He's running out of jelly, and he really likes it, especially because
> > it's made from his own lemons.

> Sorry, I don't understand: You would like to put lemon jelly over Gnocchi?

nonono, two separate things. He's running out of the jelly we made last
time, so we'll make more. Then for dinner we'll make gnocchi, I'm
thinking.

> > Hey, Pandora (and anyone else), what sauce do you usually put on
> > gnocchi?

> In the centre of Italy we often use *ragù* (tomatos sauce with meat). In
> nothern Italy the put cream with mushrooms or fontina sauce ( like I
> explained).
> other persons use the famous *Pesto alla genovese* (a sort of basil sauce
> with pine-seed, oil, Reggiano and Romano cheese).
>
> There was this great place in San Diego (La Mesa, actually)
> > that used to make it with a mushroom-and-wine sauce, but I haven't had
> > it since.

> I haven't try this sauce. If I see the recipe I can tell you if it could be
> good for gnocchi.
> Cheers to husbands and wives!

Thanks! :-)

serene
TammyM

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>>Only the 2nd URL worked for me, but the dumplings are adorable.
>>>

>> I tried adding "jpg" to the end but that didn't help.

>I send you others.Yesterday, Tinypic had some problems.
>Look:
>
>http://tinypic.com/9k5r47.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9k5rg4.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9k5rnn.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9k5s04.jpg
>
>Hoping you can see these.
>Cheers
>Pandora

They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
Thank you, Pandora!!

TammyM
Sacramento, California
Pandora

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> I tried adding "jpg" to the end but that didn't help.

>>I send you others.Yesterday, Tinypic had some problems.
>>Look:
>>
>>http://tinypic.com/9k5r47.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9k5rg4.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9k5rnn.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9k5s04.jpg
>>
>>Hoping you can see these.
>>Cheers
>>Pandora

> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
> Thank you, Pandora!!
>
> TammyM
> Sacramento, California

What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
Pandora

Vilco

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Pandora mi
desto'

>> Hey, Pandora (and anyone else), what sauce do you usually put on
>> gnocchi?

> In the centre of Italy we often use *ragù* (tomatos sauce with

meat).
> In nothern Italy the put cream with mushrooms or fontina sauce (

like
> I explained).
> other persons use the famous *Pesto alla genovese* (a sort of basil
> sauce with pine-seed, oil, Reggiano and Romano cheese).

And don't forget grated cheese and butter sauce. Or, if you happen to
have at hand a very good cheese as it, "gnocchi al Castelmagno",
tipically found in Piedmont.
Also Gorgonzola works great, and you have less milk/cream to add since
it is more creamy than other cheeses.
Some people gets to the point af adding ragout and bechamel to theyr
gnocchi, and then bake them for 20 - 30 minutes.
Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
hare tomato ragout.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Pandora

"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Pandora mi
> desto'
>
>>> Hey, Pandora (and anyone else), what sauce do you usually put on
>>> gnocchi?

>> In the centre of Italy we often use *ragù* (tomatos sauce with

> meat).
>> In nothern Italy the put cream with mushrooms or fontina sauce (

> like
>> I explained).
>> other persons use the famous *Pesto alla genovese* (a sort of basil
>> sauce with pine-seed, oil, Reggiano and Romano cheese).

> And don't forget grated cheese and butter sauce. Or, if you happen to
> have at hand a very good cheese as it, "gnocchi al Castelmagno",
> tipically found in Piedmont.

Very good Vilco. I have tried those!

> Also Gorgonzola works great, and you have less milk/cream to add since
> it is more creamy than other cheeses.

Gnam!Gnam! I forgot also these!

> Some people gets to the point af adding ragout and bechamel to theyr
> gnocchi, and then bake them for 20 - 30 minutes.

20-30 minutes!!! So much time?

> Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
> hare tomato ragout.

Good! Thanks Vilco for having added other ways of cooking Gnocchi!
Pandora

MOMPEAGRAM

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>>I send you others.Yesterday, Tinypic had some problems.
>>>Look:
>>>
>>>http://tinypic.com/9k5r47.jpg
>>>http://tinypic.com/9k5rg4.jpg
>>>http://tinypic.com/9k5rnn.jpg
>>>http://tinypic.com/9k5s04.jpg
>>>
>>>Hoping you can see these.
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora

>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>
>> TammyM
>> Sacramento, California

> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
> Pandora

http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

Dee Randall

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Pandora mi
>> desto'

>>> In the centre of Italy we often use *ragù* (tomatos sauce with

>> meat).
>>> In nothern Italy the put cream with mushrooms or fontina sauce (

>> like
>>> I explained).
>>> other persons use the famous *Pesto alla genovese* (a sort of basil
>>> sauce with pine-seed, oil, Reggiano and Romano cheese).

>> And don't forget grated cheese and butter sauce. Or, if you happen to
>> have at hand a very good cheese as it, "gnocchi al Castelmagno",
>> tipically found in Piedmont.

> Very good Vilco. I have tried those!
>
>> Also Gorgonzola works great, and you have less milk/cream to add since
>> it is more creamy than other cheeses.

> Gnam!Gnam! I forgot also these!
>
>> Some people gets to the point af adding ragout and bechamel to theyr
>> gnocchi, and then bake them for 20 - 30 minutes.

> 20-30 minutes!!! So much time?
>
>> Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
>> hare tomato ragout.

Vilco, rabbit is not a subject I broach easily, but here goes! Are there
rabbit farms? Like there are beef farms and pork farms? My imagination is
going wild wondering how they keep them -- are they little itty-bitty
rabbits for tenderness, jack-rabbit types for stews, rabbits bred just for
stews, rabbit breast recipes, rabbit leg recipes? Oh my, it's a wonderment.
I recall on the farm six decades ago still vivid in my memory my dad
stripping a rabbit of its skin. Several members of the family ended up in
the hospital; all were sick. I didn't eat the rabbit, but I recall, he was
a big one -- not, of course, a kangaroo size -- tee hee.
I am not a pita type person, but duck, geese and rabbit (and, of course,
horse, squirrels and snake) are not for me. If you are referring to the
Alpes when you say, emilian Apennines, I'll bet just about everything after
a day out in that air tastes wonderful.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

news:1122726611.145331c55d41ef5518a1c3829b6e086e@t eranews...

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>> Pandora
>>

> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

That is so darned cute and innovative. I'm sure it must've been around for
many decades. Did Marco Polo bring this idea back to Italy? Hmmmm.
Dee Dee

Curly Sue

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"TammyM" > ha scritto nel messaggio

<snip>
>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>
>> TammyM
>> Sacramento, California

>What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>Pandora

It's your own "channeled gnocchi board!"
http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

Sue(tm)
Pandora

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>> Pandora
>>

> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

Ohhhhh! It is like the mine!!! But I spent only 2 Euros.
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

> That is so darned cute and innovative. I'm sure it must've been around
> for many decades. Did Marco Polo bring this idea back to Italy? Hmmmm.
> Dee Dee

Impossible Marco Pollo ate only chickens
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Pandora

Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"TammyM" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> <snip>
>>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

>>What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>>Pandora
>>

> It's your own "channeled gnocchi board!"
> http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

ohhhhhh! It is mine gnocchi paddle!!!!! )))))
Cheers
Pandora

Curly Sue

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:32:06 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

<snip>
>> Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
>> hare tomato ragout.

>Good! Thanks Vilco for having added other ways of cooking Gnocchi!
>Pandora

So many gnocchi, so little time!

Here are recipes for the gnocchi I brought to the August '97 NYC-RFC
cook-in (http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/rfc/august97.html). There
are some notes about the recipes posted there.

GNOCCHI ALLA ROMANA (semolina gnocchi; I had these in Florence as an
appetizer)
(from: Italian Cooking Class Cookbook, Editors of Consumer Guide,
Beekman House, NY, 1982, Publications International)

Vegetable oil
3 cups (750 mL) milk
1-1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) salt
Large pinch ground nutmeg
Large pinch pepper
1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tablespoons (30 mL) semolina
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces or 85 g)
6 tablespoons (90 mL) butter

Line bottom of 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch (39 x 26.5 x 2.5 cm) baking
pan with aluminum foil. Generously oil the foil.

Heat milk, salt, nutmeg and pepper in heavy 3 quart (3 L) saucepan
over medium-high heat just to simmering. Do not boil; reduce heat to
medium-low. Begin whisking or stirring milk briskly and add semolina
in thin steady stream, taking care not to let lumps form. Cook,
stirring frequently, until thick enough for spoon to stand upright and
unsupported in center of mixture, 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low;
continue cooking, stirring constantly, until very thick, about 5
minutes longer. Remove from heat.

Add egg yolks, 3/4 cup (180 mL) of the cheese and 2 table-spoons (30
mL) of the butter to semolina mixture; stir until butter is melted and
mixture is smooth.

Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Pat out with spatula to 3/8-inch 1
cm) thickness. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 425 deg F (220 C). Turn mixture out of pan onto flat
surface; peel off foil. Cut gnocchi out of mixture with a 2" round
cutter. Arrange gnocchi overlapping in a 10" (25 cm) shallow
flameproof baking dish. Melt the remaining 4 T (60 ml) butter in a
small saucepan. Drizzle melted butter over gnocchi; sprinkle with
remaining 1/4 c (60 ml) cheese. Bake until tops of gnocchi are crisp
and golden, 20-25 min. Place under broiler about 4" (10 cm) from heat
until lightly brown, 1-2 min. Serve at once.

Makes 4-6 servings.

*********************************
SPINACH AND POTATO GNOCCHI
(From: The Ultimate Italian Cookbook, Carla Capalbo, Anness
Publishing, Ltd, 1994)

1-1/2 lb fresh spinach, or 14 oz frozen leaf spinach
2 lb waxy potatoes, scrubbed salt, to taste
2 to 2-1/2 cups flour
1 egg
pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve

Wash fresh spinach in several changes of cold water. Pull off any
tough stalks. Place in a large saucepan with only the water that is
clinging to the leaves. Cover the pan, and cook over moderate heat,
stirring occasionally,until the spinach is tender, about 5-8 minutes.
Cook uncovered for the last 2-3 minutes to boil off some of the water.
Remove from the heat. Drain.

Cook frozen spinach according to the instructions on the package.
Spread the spinach over a clean dish towel, roll it up and wring out
all excess moisture. Chop the spinach finely with a sharp knife.

Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large pan of salted water. Bring to a
boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
Drain. Peel as soon as possible, while the potatoes are still hot.

On a work surface spread out a layer of flour. Mash the hot potatoes
with a food mill, dropping them directly onto the flour. Add the
spinach, and mix lightly into the potatoes. Sprinkle with about half
of the remaining flour and mix in lightly.

Break the egg into the mixture, add the nutmeg, and knead lightly,
drawing in more flour as necessary. When the dough is light to the
touch and no longer moist or sticky it is ready to be rolled. Do not
overwork or the gnocchi will be heavy.

Divide the dough into 4 parts. On a lightly floured board form each
into a roll about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut the rolls crosswise into
pieces about 3/4 inch long.

Hold an ordinary table fork with long tines sideways, leaning on the
board. One by one press and roll the gnocchi lightly along the tines
of the fork towards the points, making ridges on one side, and a
depression from your thumb on the other. (I didn't do this step.)

Bring a large pan of water to a fast boil. Add salt and drop about
half the gnocchi in. They will sink to the bottom of the pan. When
they rise to the surface, after 3-4 minutes, the gnocchi are done.
Scoop them out with a large slotted spoon, and place in a warmed
serving bowl. Keep warm while the remaining gnocchi are boiling. As
soon as they are cooked, toss the gnocchi with the butter or a heated
sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, and serve. Serves 6.

SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
(J. Taylor, Better Homes and Gardens, December 1996)

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1-1/3 lb.)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
2 cups all-purpose flour

In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling
salted water to cover for 25 to 35 minutes or till tender. Drain well;
return to the same pan. Over low heat, mash potatoes with a potato
masher until smooth, allowing any extra moisture to evaporate.

Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, salt,
nutmeg, and 1-1/2 cups of the flour. On a well-floured surface, knead
in the remaining 1/2 cup flour; kneading for 2 to 3 minutes or till
dough forms a soft ball. Divide into 8 pieces. With well-floured
hands, roll each piece of dough into a 12-inch-long log (about 1 inch
in diameter). Cut logs crosswise into 1-inch pieces. With a floured
finger, make a dimple in the center of each piece.

Cook gnocchi, several at a time, in a large pot of boiling salted
water for 3 to 4 minutes or till gnocchi rise to the surface of the
water. (Do not overcook.) Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper
towels. Cover to keep warm while cooking remaining gnocchi. If
desired, top gnocchi with melted butter; grated Parmesan cheese, and
pepper. Makes 16 side-dish servings (about 96 gnocchi).

Nutrition facts per serving: 116 cal., 1 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5
mg chol., 90 mg sodium, 22 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 4 g pro. Daily Values:
92% vit. A, 16% vit. C, 6% iron.

Sue(tm)

MOMPEAGRAM

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

> That is so darned cute and innovative. I'm sure it must've been around
> for many decades. Did Marco Polo bring this idea back to Italy? Hmmmm.
> Dee Dee

Not only cute, but I imagine very functional for the job. But, a bit
expensive I think.

MoM

MOMPEAGRAM

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"TammyM" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> <snip>
>>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

>>What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>>Pandora
>>

> It's your own "channeled gnocchi board!"
> http://tinypic.com/9joocg.jpg

Or this http://tinypic.com/9pq0p0.jpg

MOMPEAGRAM

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

> Ohhhhh! It is like the mine!!! But I spent only 2 Euros.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I can get one for 5 bucks Can.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...id=5214&step=4

MOMPEAGRAM

news:1122741365.527e3d0b2a1495a5d7049069af224c05@t eranews...

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

>> Ohhhhh! It is like the mine!!! But I spent only 2 Euros.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>>

> I can get one for 5 bucks Can.
>
> http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...id=5214&step=4

Nope, I can't! Shoot! Someone shoplifted the only one and they don't have
a supplier any longer and don't know where to find one. Poop!

MoM

Pandora

"Curly Sue" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:32:06 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> <snip>
>>> Best gnocchi sauce I ever tasted? In the tuscan - emilian Apennines, a
>>> hare tomato ragout.

>>Good! Thanks Vilco for having added other ways of cooking Gnocchi!
>>Pandora

> So many gnocchi, so little time!
>
> Here are recipes for the gnocchi I brought to the August '97 NYC-RFC
> cook-in (http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/rfc/august97.html). There
> are some notes about the recipes posted there.
>
> GNOCCHI ALLA ROMANA (semolina gnocchi; I had these in Florence as an
> appetizer)
> (from: Italian Cooking Class Cookbook, Editors of Consumer Guide,
> Beekman House, NY, 1982, Publications International)
>
> Vegetable oil
> 3 cups (750 mL) milk
> 1-1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) salt
> Large pinch ground nutmeg
> Large pinch pepper
> 1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tablespoons (30 mL) semolina
> 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
> 1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces or 85 g)
> 6 tablespoons (90 mL) butter
>
> Line bottom of 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch (39 x 26.5 x 2.5 cm) baking
> pan with aluminum foil. Generously oil the foil.
>
> Heat milk, salt, nutmeg and pepper in heavy 3 quart (3 L) saucepan
> over medium-high heat just to simmering. Do not boil; reduce heat to
> medium-low. Begin whisking or stirring milk briskly and add semolina
> in thin steady stream, taking care not to let lumps form. Cook,
> stirring frequently, until thick enough for spoon to stand upright and
> unsupported in center of mixture, 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low;
> continue cooking, stirring constantly, until very thick, about 5
> minutes longer. Remove from heat.
>
> Add egg yolks, 3/4 cup (180 mL) of the cheese and 2 table-spoons (30
> mL) of the butter to semolina mixture; stir until butter is melted and
> mixture is smooth.
>
> Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Pat out with spatula to 3/8-inch 1
> cm) thickness. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 1 hour.
>
> Heat oven to 425 deg F (220 C). Turn mixture out of pan onto flat
> surface; peel off foil. Cut gnocchi out of mixture with a 2" round
> cutter. Arrange gnocchi overlapping in a 10" (25 cm) shallow
> flameproof baking dish. Melt the remaining 4 T (60 ml) butter in a
> small saucepan. Drizzle melted butter over gnocchi; sprinkle with
> remaining 1/4 c (60 ml) cheese. Bake until tops of gnocchi are crisp
> and golden, 20-25 min. Place under broiler about 4" (10 cm) from heat
> until lightly brown, 1-2 min. Serve at once.
>
> Makes 4-6 servings.

This is a new version of Gnocchi alla romana!!! In the original recipe there
is only butter and reggiano over the top before baking.

> *********************************
> SPINACH AND POTATO GNOCCHI
> (From: The Ultimate Italian Cookbook, Carla Capalbo, Anness
> Publishing, Ltd, 1994)
>
> 1-1/2 lb fresh spinach, or 14 oz frozen leaf spinach
> 2 lb waxy potatoes, scrubbed salt, to taste
> 2 to 2-1/2 cups flour
> 1 egg
> pinch of grated nutmeg
> 1/4 cup butter
> freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
>
> Wash fresh spinach in several changes of cold water. Pull off any
> tough stalks. Place in a large saucepan with only the water that is
> clinging to the leaves. Cover the pan, and cook over moderate heat,
> stirring occasionally,until the spinach is tender, about 5-8 minutes.
> Cook uncovered for the last 2-3 minutes to boil off some of the water.
> Remove from the heat. Drain.
>
> Cook frozen spinach according to the instructions on the package.
> Spread the spinach over a clean dish towel, roll it up and wring out
> all excess moisture. Chop the spinach finely with a sharp knife.
>
> Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large pan of salted water. Bring to a
> boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
> Drain. Peel as soon as possible, while the potatoes are still hot.
>
> On a work surface spread out a layer of flour. Mash the hot potatoes
> with a food mill, dropping them directly onto the flour. Add the
> spinach, and mix lightly into the potatoes. Sprinkle with about half
> of the remaining flour and mix in lightly.
>
> Break the egg into the mixture, add the nutmeg, and knead lightly,
> drawing in more flour as necessary. When the dough is light to the
> touch and no longer moist or sticky it is ready to be rolled. Do not
> overwork or the gnocchi will be heavy.
>
> Divide the dough into 4 parts. On a lightly floured board form each
> into a roll about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut the rolls crosswise into
> pieces about 3/4 inch long.
>
> Hold an ordinary table fork with long tines sideways, leaning on the
> board. One by one press and roll the gnocchi lightly along the tines
> of the fork towards the points, making ridges on one side, and a
> depression from your thumb on the other. (I didn't do this step.)
>
> Bring a large pan of water to a fast boil. Add salt and drop about
> half the gnocchi in. They will sink to the bottom of the pan. When
> they rise to the surface, after 3-4 minutes, the gnocchi are done.
> Scoop them out with a large slotted spoon, and place in a warmed
> serving bowl. Keep warm while the remaining gnocchi are boiling. As
> soon as they are cooked, toss the gnocchi with the butter or a heated
> sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, and serve. Serves 6.

Yes! These Gnocchi are my favourite! I make them like you, too!!!

> SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI
> (J. Taylor, Better Homes and Gardens, December 1996)
>
> 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (1-1/3 lb.)
> 1 cup ricotta cheese
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
> 2 cups all-purpose flour
>
> In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling
> salted water to cover for 25 to 35 minutes or till tender. Drain well;
> return to the same pan. Over low heat, mash potatoes with a potato
> masher until smooth, allowing any extra moisture to evaporate.
>
> Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta cheese, salt,
> nutmeg, and 1-1/2 cups of the flour. On a well-floured surface, knead
> in the remaining 1/2 cup flour; kneading for 2 to 3 minutes or till
> dough forms a soft ball. Divide into 8 pieces. With well-floured
> hands, roll each piece of dough into a 12-inch-long log (about 1 inch
> in diameter). Cut logs crosswise into 1-inch pieces. With a floured
> finger, make a dimple in the center of each piece.
>
> Cook gnocchi, several at a time, in a large pot of boiling salted
> water for 3 to 4 minutes or till gnocchi rise to the surface of the
> water. (Do not overcook.) Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper
> towels. Cover to keep warm while cooking remaining gnocchi. If
> desired, top gnocchi with melted butter; grated Parmesan cheese, and
> pepper. Makes 16 side-dish servings (about 96 gnocchi).

I have never tried with ricotta! I'll try.
Thank you Sue! Wonderful idea!
Pandora

Pandora

news:1122741364.c5cf1511edc971a510e14ee8b3d8bf17@t eranews...

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

>> That is so darned cute and innovative. I'm sure it must've been around
>> for many decades. Did Marco Polo bring this idea back to Italy? Hmmmm.
>> Dee Dee
>>>

> Not only cute, but I imagine very functional for the job. But, a bit
> expensive I think.
>
> MoM

Ohhh! Yes! I 've said that I bought it for 2 Euros
Pandora

Pandora

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

>> Ohhhhh! It is like the mine!!! But I spent only 2 Euros.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>>

> I can get one for 5 bucks Can.
>
> http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...id=5214&step=4

Oh! like this goes a little better!!! Good prize!
Pandora

TammyM

http://tinypic.com/9jjbm9

>>> They're gorgeous and I'll bet they taste delicious! I have a gnocchi
>>> paddle I bought a few years back and will use it when I make this.
>>> Thank you, Pandora!!
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?
>> Pandora
>>

>http://www.creativecookware.com/gnocchi_paddle.htm

Mine isn't as thick as this, but same principle. Purchased in NYC at
Bridge Kitchenware. I don't make gnocchi very often, but when I do,
this little gizmo makes it a breeze.

TammyM
sf

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:31 +0200, Pandora wrote:

> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?

It's also known as a "butter paddle".
Dee Randall

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:31 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>
>> What is a *Gnocchi paddle*?

> It's also known as a "butter paddle".

It looked somewhat familiar. I know you must not be old enough to remember,
but was it used to churn the butter, or was it used to drain the butter on
after it was churned. I'd say the latter, to sort of drain of any
unresolved liquid.
I can only recall churning butter once or twice as a child and then not
serious labor.
Dee Dee