ntantiques

Default Ah, blueberries

Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
"jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Nancy

Bob

Nancy wrote:

> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.

Whereabouts in Oregon do you live? I attended Oregon State, and I've got an
uncle in Bend. I get top-quality peaches, tomatoes, and strawberries here in
Northern California, but I *really* miss those great Comice pears.

Bob

-L.

ntantiques wrote:
> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
>
> Nancy

Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful - very
large and sweet.

Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I may
ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow and see
what is up!

-L.
(Also an OR resident)

kilikini

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
>
> Nancy

What a nice story! Glad you had fun jamming. I normally stay away from
anything sweet, but when it comes to blueberries, I eat anything made with
them! Jams, pies, fruit salad.................yum.

kili

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"ntantiques" > wrote:

> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
>
> Nancy

My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
you get some booze with them they're ok.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!

Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
> with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
> And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
> call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
> be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
> you get some booze with them they're ok.

Banana-boozleberry? Three B's? (berries/banana/booze)

I hope you have a great trip, wonderfulfood, and
ideal weather.

gloria p
TammyM

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
>
> Nancy

Am I on your Christmas list? (I hope I hope I hope I hope)

:-)

TammyM

TammyM

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ntantiques wrote:
> > Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> > bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
> > deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> > weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> > had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
> > creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
> > gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
> > "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
> > batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
> > lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
> >
> > Nancy

> Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful - very
> large and sweet.
>
> Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I may
> ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow and see
> what is up!

I'm nearly as bad with my blackberries. I've only made a few things from
them this year, and many berries have gone to waste. I get up so early to
go to work, and morning is best for berry picking (otherwise you get hot
squishy berries all over you!) And also, it's just too hot to have the oven
on!!! And the thought of making jam in this heat (105 today) is just ....
<shudder>

TammyM

p.s. can you make blueberry or blackberry jam from frozen berries? I could
face making jam in December!

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

*some text snipped*

I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
> be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
> you get some booze with them they're ok.

Tell me again that I do not have a good influence on you.
If you get some booze into people, they are ok., too )

Default User

ntantiques wrote:

> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
> the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
that. What's the catch?

I like to drop frozen blueberries into a bowl of Rice Chex. The berries
chill the milk down and of course add that great blueberry flavor.

Brian

Debbie

TammyM wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful -
>>> very large and sweet.
>>>
>>> Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I
>>> may ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow
>>> and see what is up!

>> I'm nearly as bad with my blackberries. I've only made a few things
>> from them this year, and many berries have gone to waste. I get up
>> so early to go to work, and morning is best for berry picking
>> (otherwise you get hot squishy berries all over you!) And also,
>> it's just too hot to have the oven on!!! And the thought of making
>> jam in this heat (105 today) is just .... <shudder>
>>
>> TammyM
>>
>> p.s. can you make blueberry or blackberry jam from frozen berries?
>> I could face making jam in December!

Of course! I would often make jam in the late winter if I hadn't judged the
right amounts when making it in summer.

Debbie

Dave Smith

Default User wrote:

> > Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
> > bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
> > the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
> > weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
> > had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

> I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
> all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
> that. What's the catch?
>
> I like to drop frozen blueberries into a bowl of Rice Chex. The berries
> chill the milk down and of course add that great blueberry flavor.

I think blueberries are the ultimate fruit for cold cereal. They pack a lot
of flavour, maybe too much. I like them only in small doses, so that works
well for cereal, muffins and pancakes. I am not a fan of blueberry pie. It's
just too much blueberry for me. I would rather have them as topping on a
custard or pastry cream tart.

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
> all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
> that. What's the catch?

If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND
> > now all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants
> > and all that. What's the catch?

> If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

Well, there is that.

Brian
Bell Jar

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "ntantiques" > wrote:
>
>> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
>> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and the
>> deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
>> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
>> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod. Spent the evening
>> creating purple mayhem in the kitchen and now have myself a dozen
>> gleaming pints of lightly spiced blueberry jam. Has been ages since I
>> "jammed," and I'd forgotten how easy it is. May have to whip up another
>> batch for Christmas gifts - I come from a long line of blueberry
>> lovers. The plums are just getting ripe...note to self: buy more jars.
>>
>> Nancy

> My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
> with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
> And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
> call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
> be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
> you get some booze with them they're ok.
> --

Berry Comfortable

Sheldon

Default Loser wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
> > "Default Loser" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND
> > > now all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants
> > > and all that. What's the catch?

> > If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

> Well, there is that.

Eat too many of anything and there are dire consequences (key phrase:
too many). DUH

Sheldon

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bell Jar"
> wrote:
> >
> > My blues came from the supermarket and last night I made a batch of jam
> > with blueberries, strawberries, a few bing cherries, and a ripe banana.
> > And some Triple Sec and Southern Comfort. I'm still working on what to
> > call it. I'll be in Vermont on the weekend and have been told it might
> > be blueberry time there. Mostly, I don't care for blueberries, but if
> > you get some booze with them they're ok.
> > --

> Berry Comfortable

Cute.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!
ntantiques

> Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful - very
> large and sweet.
>
> Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I may
> ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow and see
> what is up!
>
> -L.
> (Also an OR resident)

My recipe is pretty basic, but the results are reliable. See below for
recipe. How'd you make out with the neighbors? It'd be a shame to let
all those home growns go to waste!

To answer Bob's question...we're in the gorgeous countryside outside of
Eugene - in the valley, between the MacKenzie and Mohawk Rivers. The
summer produce here puts the San Francisco Bay area to shame - and I
thought we had it pretty good there. The growing season in Oregon may
be a little later and shorter, but there are so many great sources of
good organic produce I'm just blown away. Took a look at my tomato
patch this afternoon - I am definitely going to have to buy more jars.
Never had a crop like this before - everything's growing like
weeds...including the weeds.
Nancy

Spiced Blueberry Jam (Yield: a generous 3 pints)

5 C blueberries
3T fresh lemon juice
2tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
One packet Ball Fruit Jell Pectin (I like the liquid form)
5 C sugar

Wash and roughly squish berries with potato masher. Measure crushed
berries - if short of 4 full cups mashed, add a bit of water to bring
to that amount.

Place mashed berries in a large sauce pan with all ingredients except
sugar. Stir well to mix, then bring to a full, rolling boil.

Add sugar, a cup at a time, stirring constantly.

When all of the sugar is dissolved, allow mixture to boil hard for a
full minute, continuing to stir.

Remove from heat, skim any foam (I get very little with the liquid
pectin), and stir for 5 minutes.

Ladle jam into warm, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" space at top. Clean
rims with moist paper towel and cover jars quickly with sterilized
lids. Screw on bands and process in boiling water bath for 10-15
minutes.

Test for seal when jars have cooled.

Ranee Mueller

In article . com>,
"ntantiques" > wrote:

> To answer Bob's question...we're in the gorgeous countryside outside of
> Eugene - in the valley, between the MacKenzie and Mohawk Rivers. The
> summer produce here puts the San Francisco Bay area to shame - and I
> thought we had it pretty good there. The growing season in Oregon may
> be a little later and shorter, but there are so many great sources of
> good organic produce I'm just blown away. Took a look at my tomato
> patch this afternoon - I am definitely going to have to buy more jars.
> Never had a crop like this before - everything's growing like
> weeds...including the weeds.

I grew up in Eugene, and you are right, things grow so well there,
you almost don't have to do anything.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
sf

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:10:14 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
> > all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
> > that. What's the catch?

> If you eat too many of them there are dire consequences.

How much is too many - a quart, a gallon????

Bell Jar

"Default User" > wrote in message
> ntantiques wrote:
>
>> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established blueberry
>> bushes. I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
>> the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky winter/spring
>> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries I've
>> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

> I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND now
> all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and all
> that. What's the catch?

Did you see what they did to Violet Beauregarde?

Joseph Littleshoes

Bell Jar wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message
> > ntantiques wrote:
> >
> >> Our new Oregon home came with a nice row of well established

> blueberry
> >> bushes.

What part of Oregon? Do keep an eye out for 'Oregon grapes' and wild
strawberries. Though i live in california now a days, i was raised near
Sweet Home Oregon whre there were lots of wild blue berrys, black
berries, Oregon grapes, edible ferns, wild strawberries etc. etc.
---
JL

> I didn't expect too much from them - between the birds and
> >> the deer - but thanks (probably) to this year's quirky

> winter/spring
> >> weather, we've got a bumper crop of the best darned blueberries

> I've
> >> had since I was a kid picking wild ones on Cape Cod.

> > I'm very suspicious of blueberries. I mean, they taste so great AND

> now
> > all the experts say they're really good for you, anti-oxidants and

> all
> > that. What's the catch?

> Did you see what they did to Violet Beauregarde?

--
---
Joseph Littleshoes
may be consulted at
---
http://finblake.home.mindspring.com/tarotintro.htm

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> How much is too many - a quart, a gallon????

It varies according to the individual.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Blueberries George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 11 04-06-2014 01:47 AM
Blueberries! Gary General Cooking 7 14-07-2013 03:03 PM
Blueberries? Benji Z-Man General Cooking 13 03-05-2010 03:43 PM
Blueberries kalanamak General Cooking 17 05-08-2005 02:33 AM
blueberries donald girod General Cooking 7 04-08-2005 06:22 PM