Karen O'Mara

Default Colonial House

Did anyone watch Colonial House last night on PBS? I know the
recruitment stages were discussed on this newsgroup last year.

I thought it was very interesting. So, dried peas and salted fish and
meat and flour is what they have to work with. And, the beer is
rationed.

It looks like a lot of hard work. I don't think I could've survived.

Karen
Arri London

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Did anyone watch Colonial House last night on PBS? I know the
> recruitment stages were discussed on this newsgroup last year.

Didn't watch it.

> I thought it was very interesting. So, dried peas and salted fish and
> meat and flour is what they have to work with. And, the beer is
> rationed.
>
> It looks like a lot of hard work. I don't think I could've survived.
>
> Karen

A lot of people didn't back then. Many didn't even survive the trip
across the Pond.
MOM PEAGRAM

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> Did anyone watch Colonial House last night on PBS? I know the
> recruitment stages were discussed on this newsgroup last year.
>
> I thought it was very interesting. So, dried peas and salted fish and
> meat and flour is what they have to work with. And, the beer is
> rationed.
>
> It looks like a lot of hard work. I don't think I could've survived.
>
> Karen

I watched it. I couldn't do it. But then I'd never be considered because I
have too many medical problems. Even so, I wonder
just how I would have survived back then!

jmcquown

Karen O'Mara wrote:
> Did anyone watch Colonial House last night on PBS? I know the
> recruitment stages were discussed on this newsgroup last year.
>
> I thought it was very interesting. So, dried peas and salted fish and
> meat and flour is what they have to work with. And, the beer is
> rationed.
>
> It looks like a lot of hard work. I don't think I could've survived.
>
> Karen

I only caught part of the first episode. I actually *applied* to
participate in this. My father's family arrived in this country about 50
years later and I was always amazed at what they had to endure. I plan to
watch the rest of the series.

Jill

Nancy Young

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> When I think of what our colonial forebears went through, it just
> makes me want to smack a kid who whines about having to take out the
> garbage or mow the lawn :-)

Ummm ... I have guys who mow the lawn, but could you take my garbage
out for me? Like, without whining?

nancy
maxine in ri

Karen O'Mara wrote:

> Did anyone watch Colonial House last night on PBS? I know the
> recruitment stages were discussed on this newsgroup last year.
>
> I thought it was very interesting. So, dried peas and salted fish and
> meat and flour is what they have to work with. And, the beer is
> rationed.

Saw part of it. Had to chase the rugrat up to bed, and then deal
with the phone.

I've hung out with the interpreters from plimouth plantation years
back, and yes, the food and work involved in life of the 17th
century was not easy, and the doctors could kill you faster than the
diseases.

> It looks like a lot of hard work. I don't think I could've survived.
>
> Karen

I'll go dig out the recipes I have from that time. They had one for
stuffed hubbard squash that was tasty even by today's standards.

maxine in ri
Tank

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message

> I'll go dig out the recipes I have from that time. They had one for
> stuffed hubbard squash that was tasty even by today's standards.
>
> maxine in ri

I would love to see that! Hubbard is my absolute
favorite squash. Of course, once you've gone
through the effort to crack the damn thing open,
it better be good! Hammer and chisel time!

--
Tank

This Space To Let.